Do Kids Have the Option Not to Eat at Ohana?

KimAnnFran

Ohana is our favorite restaurant, and if we have to bite the bullet and pay for the kids, we'll do so without issue. It's just so expensive, and they would just pick at their food! They would much rather have a burger or chicken nuggets from somewhere else!

WHere is this restaurant, you have me interested.

James J

In the Parks
No
THis thread made me think of the cup thing, they used to have cups you could refill at any fountain in the parks, and then they said only the hotel, and now I am not even sure they have it at all. I am sure it came from people cheating.

Do you mean the refillable mugs? They are very much still a thing at the resorts.

Prince-1

THis thread made me think of the cup thing, they used to have cups you could refill at any fountain in the parks, and then they said only the hotel, and now I am not even sure they have it at all. I am sure it came from people cheating.

They never had a refillable mug that you could use at the parks. They were and still are available for the resorts.

Prince-1

Well, people DID USE THEM. I witnessed it.
I was told they eliminated the mugs? MY 8th graders go every Spring to WDW.

Unfortunately your 8th graders are wrong as the mugs are still sold at resorts and as far as I know they were never used at resorts. I’m sure someone can confirm whether they were used in the resorts or not.

KimAnnFran

Unfortunately your 8th graders are wrong as the mugs are still sold at resorts and as far as I know they were never used at resorts. I’m sure someone can confirm whether they were used in the resorts or not.
The 8th graders didn't tell me, the leaders did. I guess they were wrong. They were ALWAYS used at resorts and never used in the parks, I guess....though I saw people do it every day!

We bring the kids to WDW every Spring for class trip. I have been to WDW 17 times. Several of those times were with the 8th grade students. They still go, I just can't because they changed the trip date to my theater company's show. :(

Club Cooloholic

The 8th graders didn't tell me, the leaders did. I guess they were wrong. They were ALWAYS used at resorts and never used in the parks, I guess....though I saw people do it every day!

We bring the kids to WDW every Spring for class trip. I have been to WDW 17 times. Several of those times were with the 8th grade students. They still go, I just can't because they changed the trip date to my theater company's show. :(
I suppose one could go up to any of the refill machines with any kind of container(refill mug or not)and fill it, but it was not something people were supposed to do. Anyway, the abuse of machines at resorts lead to the wonderful microchipped cups. I recall hearing people bringing cups back that were several years old.

Prince-1

Well I would demand that your theater company change their show date immediately!!!! How dare they interfere in your Disney fun.

Mamaof5

If the food that is served is the reason for not wanting to have your kids eat there, they will serve the kiddos something different. On our first trip 2 of my littles did not enjoy the food options at 'Ohana. They liked the bread, enjoyed the noodles, but were standoffish with the other items. I mentioned it to our cast member and she said she would be right back. She came back with chicken nuggets, fries, mac and cheese and hot dogs for our littles. This food they gobbled right up. Now, we were on the dining plan, and I would have liked my kids to have enjoyed eating what we were eating for the cost of the meal, but the fact was my kids ate food they liked and didn't have to sit there and stare at us while we enjoyed our meal. Something to think about. :)

Weather_Lady

you should not have to pay to take up a chair in a restaurant

Your argument makes sense from a guest satisfaction perspective, but I suspect Disney would disagree, given that 'Ohana is typically booked solid. They're not going to want to "waste" chairs on non-paying non-eaters when there are paying customers clamoring for those same seats. Every guest who takes up restaurant capacity without dining or paying loses Disney some revenue. (I'm not implying that Disney can't afford it given their borderline extortionate meal pricing, or that it wouldn't be nice if it was allowed, but it just doesn't make sense from a business perspective.)

nolatron

Our last trip to Ohana our then 5yr old daughter didn't want to eat any of the normal offerings and wasn't into the kid options either (mac & cheese, nuggets, etc...). She just wanted to eat the bread and butter. We were ok with that and were expecting to pay the kids price for her still.

When we got the check we noticed the waiter didn't charge us for her (only 1 kids charge instead of 2), which we found awfully nice of him to do. So while it's not something you can choose upfront, depending on circumstances and waiter their is a possibility they may not charge for a child that doesn't eat anything, but still be prepared to pay otherwise for them.

Last edited:

KimAnnFran

I suppose one could go up to any of the refill machines with any kind of container(refill mug or not)and fill it, but it was not something people were supposed to do. Anyway, the abuse of machines at resorts lead to the wonderful microchipped cups. I recall hearing people bringing cups back that were several years old.
Please explain microchipped cups?

Club Cooloholic

Please explain microchipped cups?
It wont let me post the site with the info but I am quoting from WDW P-R-E-P
"The cups have a small RFID chip in them (the same technology that runs MagicBands) that tells sensors in the beverage machines whether or not the cup is activated.
If your cup is activated, you'll simply follow the directions on the screen by placing your cup on the tray (it needs to touch the tray in order to work) and then filling it up with the beverage of your choice.
Most of the machines will also tell you how long your mug will be activated, too."

KimAnnFran

"The cups have a small RFID chip in them (the same technology that runs MagicBands) that tells sensors in the beverage machines whether or not the cup is activated.
If your cup is activated, you'll simply follow the directions on the screen by placing your cup on the tray (it needs to touch the tray in order to work) and then filling it up with the beverage of your choice.
Most of the machines will also tell you how long your mug will be activated, too."
O GOOD LORD.
Soda is 3 cents a cup or less.

Prince-1

Also, there is a certain amount of time that must elapse between refills. It's only a few minutes but it exists.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom