Space 220 Chef steps down weeks before opening

nickys

Premium Member
It's a restaurant in a theme park, serving up space-themed fare for tourists. It's not rocket science (pardon the pun).

Space 220 will still sell and serve all the various mid-level steak and seafood and pasta dishes they had planned to sell at huge markups, with corn-syrup cocktails and wacky desserts to pad the average check per table.

Served up by semi-mediocre wait staff and semi-mediocre service by Orlando CM's who have never actually received proper training in fine dining, in a nicely designed room with a nifty fake view out the fake windows, even though the budget was cut a few times by Chapek's sharp pencil boys and isn't quite as nice as it could have been. In a theme park.

The first chef got a new gig in Vegas. They'll replace him. Life will go on. In a theme park. 🧐

Patina were recruiting in Europe for this restaurant. Not sure if it’s exclusively European staff, but a sizeable number will be. And given the advert suggested four months of training, that’s quite intensive IMO.

Regardless, I think you’re right in that it will serve pretty ordinary entrees, with more “other-worldly” named drinks and desserts to make the menu look exciting.

Last edited:

Lilofan

Patina were recruiting in Europe for this restaurant. Not sure if it’s exclusively European staff, but a sizeable number will be. And given the advert suggested four months of training, that’s quite intensive IMO.

Regardless, I think you’re right in that it will serve pretty ordinary entrees, with more “other-worldly” named drinks and desserts to make the menu look exciting.
That's going to be some turnover with staff of being recruited from Europe. With our new administration in DC putting the squeeze on immigrants coming to the USA, the recruited staff may just be allowed to work only on a very short term temporary Visa to work in the USA. But like others I know in my part of the country, some extend their stay and stay illegally and create a better life here for them.

nickys

Premium Member
That's going to be some turnover with staff of being recruited from Europe. With our new administration in DC putting the squeeze on immigrants coming to the USA, the recruited staff may just be allowed to work only on a very short term temporary Visa to work in the USA. But like others I know in my part of the country, some extend their stay and stay illegally and create a better life here for them.

This was last year, for starting in May. Obviously that time frame slipped.

As for VISAs, Patina would be the ones obtaining Visas. I assume they’d be able to get work Visas for a year, like many other companies, universities etc. I have several friends who have gone over from the U.K. a on a company Visa and had it renewed annually. Rules for individuals trying to get permission to seek work in the US are probably different to rules for companies recruiting overseas.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom