Disney Skyliner shutdown and evacuation - October 6 2019

RollerCoaster

The major problem is the wheelchair assessable units .We all know they’re stored on a separate line and if not put in the rotation properly can cause a major headache . I think this also brings into play why you don’t see that many gondola problems at places like ski resorts.
Some ski gondolas have at least a few of these units, but probably far less than the Skyliner. Many resorts will offer non-skiers an excursion ticket for a lower price, and I've seen people in wheelchairs take advantage of this offer.

There is not a handicap car or cars on the Skyliner. All of the cars are identical. The bench seats can be folded up towards the window in any car to make more room for cargo or wheelchairs if necessary. Any car in theory can be directed onto the alternate loading rail. Most Gondola systems don't have dual loading stations and one of the unique features of this system. However, I think you're drawing conclusions without evidence by blaming the second loading as the problem.

For your information people in wheelchairs ski as well with a variety of adaptive devices, but most commonly a sit ski. Ski areas with gondolas typically have wheelchairs to transport the participant from the slope to the gondola and from the gondola to the slope. Loading the gondola in a wheelchair typically requires a slow down of the lift, not a stop so long as the gondola car floor is at grade with the loading platform. If not it requires a complete stop and for the participant to transfer to the car.

RollerCoaster

The Reedy Creek Improvement District oversees “aerial passenger tramways” per EPCOT Standard 5-1. Section 5-1.201.3, the full text of which I have previously posted, requires inspection and documentation.
You're quoting building codes, but EPCOT Standard 5-1.201.3 is for elevators, moving walkways, escalators and other similar devices. This section of code is in place because of state regulations mandating the inspection, reporting and documentation for elevators and similar devices. I did some additional research of Florida state regulations for elevators and "aerial ropeways" are not included in the definitions of devices at the state level, hence why experts of aerial ropeways include Florida as one of the states without inspection regulations.

Also, what is unclear is the definition of what is a reportable accident. By most reasonable standards an accident is defined as one that results in death or injury requiring medical treatment. By some definitions it may require hospitalization. My point is a mechanical failure that results in a lengthy delay of the operation more than likely is not considered an accident.

lazyboy97o

You're quoting building codes, but EPCOT Standard 5-1.201.3 is for elevators, moving walkways, escalators and other similar devices. This section of code is in place because of state regulations mandating the inspection, reporting and documentation for elevators and similar devices. I did some additional research of Florida state regulations for elevators and "aerial ropeways" are not included in the definitions of devices at the state level, hence why experts of aerial ropeways include Florida as one of the states without inspection regulations.

Also, what is unclear is the definition of what is a reportable accident. By most reasonable standards an accident is defined as one that results in death or injury requiring medical treatment. By some definitions it may require hospitalization. My point is a mechanical failure that results in a lengthy delay of the operation more than likely is not considered an accident.
EPCOT Standard 5-1 includes aerial passenger tramways in its scope and ANSI B77.1 as a reference standard. EPCOT Standard 5-13 defines aerial passenger tramways and references back to 5-1. This was not just a mechanical fault, it included a collision. That is an incident.

VaderTron

By most reasonable standards an accident is defined as one that results in death or injury requiring medical treatment.
Wow that's strange. And here we have been calling all of these instances when one or more cars on the road run into things and cause damage to vehicles and property (but no bodily harm) "accidents". I guess we should have called it "unexpected downtime" during roadway travel.

Monorail_Orange

Wow that's strange. And here we have been calling all of these instances when one or more cars on the road run into things and cause damage to vehicles and property (but no bodily harm) "accidents". I guess we should have called it "unexpected downtime" during roadway travel.
Funnily enough, there is an ongoing movement to change the nomenclature from "Motor Vehicle Accident" or MVA to "Motor Vehicle Collision" or MVC. The reason is not all collisions are accidents, but all accidents (in this context) are collisions.

flynnibus

Premium Member

Injury is not a minimum standard in most definitions... because people may not be involved. If two empty roller coasters collided and ruining them... that's worthy. If a building collapses... that's worthy. I don't know the EPCOT codes by this is why most other systems have conventions like monetary value statements or service/outage standards. "Damages that would exceed XYZ" etc.

VaderTron

Funnily enough, there is an ongoing movement to change the nomenclature from "Motor Vehicle Accident" or MVA to "Motor Vehicle Collision" or MVC. The reason is not all collisions are accidents, but all accidents (in this context) are collisions.
Just another way of wasting time and money for the dumbing down of society. "Accident" has always meant unintentional. Most motor vehicle accidents are not intentional. I would see the point of naming them "intentional collisions" for the few 'accidents' that are done on purpose, but this renaming of something just to redefine it is hokey.

Monorail_Orange

Just another way of wasting time and money for the dumbing down of society. "Accident" has always meant unintentional. Most motor vehicle accidents are not intentional. I would see the point of naming them "intentional collisions" for the few 'accidents' that are done on purpose, but this renaming of something just to redefine it is hokey.
At the expense of going further off-topic, you've hit the point without realizing it. The people who generally use the terms "MVA/MVC" are medical providers treating vehicle occupants, they don't have any idea of how the collision happened, whether it was intentional or not, nor generally speaking, do they know who/what was at fault. All they really know is what they need to know to treat the patient - that the patient was involved in collision with or between motor vehicles, and sometimes they might get some idea as to the severity of the collision. Therefore, rather than implying anything about whether it was intentional or not, you use the all-encompassing term "collision." So it's not hokey, it's meant to convey a fact (two vehicles collided) rather than a conclusion (it was accidental vs. negligent vs. intentional).

VaderTron

At the expense of going further off-topic, you've hit the point without realizing it. The people who generally use the terms "MVA/MVC" are medical providers treating vehicle occupants, they don't have any idea of how the collision happened, whether it was intentional or not, nor generally speaking, do they know who/what was at fault. All they really know is what they need to know to treat the patient - that the patient was involved in collision with or between motor vehicles, and sometimes they might get some idea as to the severity of the collision. Therefore, rather than implying anything about whether it was intentional or not, you use the all-encompassing term "collision." So it's not hokey, it's meant to convey a fact (two vehicles collided) rather than a conclusion (it was accidental vs. negligent vs. intentional).
To me that just seems like labeling the obvious for medical purposes. To remove the word "accident" just to say it doesn't matter the intent seems in harmony with the permissive movement of society's collective "morality". So, I guess I shouldn't be surprised.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Hoo boy... here's a definition to think about: if a catastrophic event results from culpable negligence, is that an "accident"?

Monorail_Orange

Anything that wasn't done intentionally is an accident.
Now, let's discuss culpability and pecuniary liability for "accidents."
So to come full circle, this is a perfect illustration for why the change to "motor vehicle collision" - that way there is no appearance of determination of liability - that's for the legal system.
We wouldn't have to discuss such nonsense in legalese if people would just honestly own up to their own mistakes instead of trying to lie their way out of accountability.
Perhaps, but that's an entirely different issue, IMHO, because it's not just people trying to avoid accountability; some insurance companies are pretty bad at times about creating ways to deny claims so they can get out of paying.

HiJe

We wouldn't have to discuss such nonsense in legalese if people would just honestly own up to their own mistakes instead of trying to lie their way out of accountability.

Excuse me sir, this is the internet. Please don't use the A word here.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom