Universal Epic Universe (South Expansion Complex) - Opens 2025

OG Runner

What makes you think I haven't been on NRJ at night (Pandora's version of It's a Small World)? Pandora itself doesn't become more interesting at night just because the blacklights turn on. I know several people personally who have gotten physically ill (headache, nausea) from Pandora while we were there at night.

I was talking about the land outside at night, not the particular ride. I am pretty sure, since it is a dark ride, it doesn't matter if you go on
during the middle of the day or the middle of the night. I am sorry for the reactions your friends had. In my opinion, the ambience at night is more enjoyable. I suppose that is why they have more than one park, not everyone enjoys the same things.

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
I was talking about the land outside at night, not the particular ride. I am pretty sure, since it is a dark ride, it doesn't matter if you go on
during the middle of the day or the middle of the night. I am sorry for the reactions your friends had. In my opinion, the ambience at night is more enjoyable. I suppose that is why they have more than one park, not everyone enjoys the same things.

I'm not sure how you can compare not enjoying something with it made them physically ill. Personally, I found Pandora to be pretty meh at night. It's dark, so you do see lots of dinorama-esque artifacts under the blacklights, but the walkways aren't well lit and it's usually overpopulated so you can expect to be trampled or shoved. FoP is the best ride at WDW though, it's at least 12 parsecs ahead of Smuggler's Run.

JoeCamel

I'm not sure how you can compare not enjoying something with it made them physically ill. Personally, I found Pandora to be pretty meh at night. It's dark, so you do see lots of dinorama-esque artifacts under the blacklights, but the walkways aren't well lit and it's usually overpopulated so you can expect to be trampled or shoved. FoP is the best ride at WDW though, it's at least 12 parsecs ahead of Smuggler's Run.
I can agree with that but rides are not why I go to AK

BubbaQuest

On the Comcast earnings call they have said Epic Universe opening 2023

Just read that too (via an unofficial tweet). Did anyone listen to the earnings call? That seems like a really aggressive date.

Not a lot of info from the official earnings report:

"Theme Parks revenue increased 6.8% to $1.6 billion in the third quarter of 2019, primarily reflecting higher attendance due, in part, to severe weather and natural disasters that negatively impacted attendance in Japan in the third quarter of 2018. Adjusted EBITDA increased 0.9% to $731 million in the third quarter of 2019, reflecting an increase in revenue, partially offset by higher operating expenses.

For the nine months ended September 30, 2019, revenue from the Theme Parks segment increased 4.8% to $4.4 billion compared to 2018, primarily due to increases in attendance. Adjusted EBITDA increased 1.7% to $1.8 billion compared to 2018, reflecting an increase in revenue, partially offset by higher operating expenses."

GLaDOS

Pretty aggressive, but Comcast has delivered single attractions pretty quickly and have developed a lot of what'll be going into the new park already for sister parks so I think they'll be able to pull it off.
There’s only 2 attractions coming to this park that will be anywhere else on the planet.

That being said, the Classic Monsters ride is similar to Forbidden Journey, so it’s a ride they’re used to constructing.

But the rest of the park should be original and new for Universal Parks and resorts.

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
There’s only 2 attractions coming to this park that will be anywhere else on the planet.

That being said, the Classic Monsters ride is similar to Forbidden Journey, so it’s a ride they’re used to constructing.

But the rest of the park should be original and new for Universal Parks and resorts.

Which is fortunately still greater than 0. Hopefully, as they build attractions similar to those that exist they forget about F&F. That attraction needs no sibling.

WhatJaneSays

Why is it aggressive? It’s about five years of dedicated design and construction with a couple more on top for master planning and feasibility.
I depends on when in 2023 they set that target on. Say if they want it properly open for the summer, they need to plan on an opening for late April to early May of 2023 that's only 3 and a half years from now. Where the project sits now that's a big undertaking with little margin for error. A few minor issues can compound quickly, particularly when some things are not finalized. They are making a big push for 2023 because they know that's potentially a BIG year for Disney as a whole so they want to be in front of that.

lazyboy97o

I depends on when in 2023 they set that target on. Say if they want it properly open for the summer, they need to plan on an opening for late April to early May of 2023 that's only 3 and a half years from now. Where the project sits now that's a big undertaking with little margin for error. A few minor issues can compound quickly, particularly when some things are not finalized. They are making a big push for 2023 because they know that's potentially a BIG year for Disney as a whole so they want to be in front of that.
Three and a half years is a decent amount of time for construction. Not sure how 2023 is a big year for Disney.

WhatJaneSays

Three and a half years is a decent amount of time for construction. Not sure how 2023 is a big year for Disney.
Construction ... yes. Moving from partly ungraded/not fully surveyed land, first draft building plans, and in progress R&D to operating theme park complex ... is a bit more daunting. Still doable! Just riding on every bit going as smoothly as possible.

2023 will be the 100th anniversary of the Walt Disney Company and is likely to be a world wide Disney celebration event.

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
Construction ... yes. Moving from partly ungraded/not fully surveyed land, first draft building plans, and in progress R&D to operating theme park complex ... is a bit more daunting. Still doable! Just riding on every bit going as smoothly as possible.

2023 will be the 100th anniversary of the Walt Disney Company and is likely to be a world wide Disney celebration event.

Well it isn't as though they just broke ground, it's been in motion for a while now. The building plans were likely drawn up some time ago as well. This has been in the works for years now, likely before they purchased the land.

lazyboy97o

You can’t start even early site work without surveying the land. Not sure what qualifies as “first draft building plans” but concept design and even schematic design would be done by now. They’re past first drafts.

Disney’s days of massive celebrations seems to be a bit behind them.

Well it isn't as though they just broke ground, it's been in motion for a while now. The building plans were likely drawn up some time ago as well. This has been in the works for years now, likely before they purchased the land.
The plans most definitely were not drawn up some time ago, and are likely still being developed.

WhatJaneSays

You can’t start even early site work without surveying the land. Not sure what qualifies as “first draft building plans” but concept design and even schematic design would be done by now. They’re past first drafts.

Disney’s days of massive celebrations seems to be a bit behind them.

The plans most definitely were not drawn up some time ago, and are likely still being developed.
Exactly, it has been in the works for quite a while. If they were just breaking ground or making plans now they'd have no chance to open anytime in 2023. And if they had the base infrastructure down already 3.5 to 4 years would likely be plenty of time. They're just at the sage of a project that it's hard to tell how long things are actually going to take. Few timelines survive first contact with the enemy ... er ... the reality of logistics.

Land surveys get you through the all the clearing and grading. There can still be a lot of surveying after that for construction and feasibility. Normally it's not a that big deal because the land survey is typically enough to spot anything that would be a concern but things come up when they're least wanted.

JoeCamel

Exactly, it has been in the works for quite a while. If they were just breaking ground or making plans now they'd have no chance to open anytime in 2023. And if they had the base infrastructure down already 3.5 to 4 years would likely be plenty of time. They're just at the sage of a project that it's hard to tell how long things are actually going to take. Few timelines survive first contact with the enemy ... er ... the reality of logistics.

Land surveys get you through the all the clearing and grading. There can still be a lot of surveying after that for construction and feasibility. Normally it's not a that big deal because the land survey is typically enough to spot anything that would be a concern but things come up when they're least wanted.
Universal has maintained all along it takes about 5 - 6 years to build a park. Nothing has changed from that. They have plenty of work already completed on the site.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom