Disney Skyliner shutdown and evacuation - October 6 2019

halltd

People may be freaking out that it stops at all?

flynnibus

Premium Member

View attachment 418245

I'd wager someone fears that even during a short stop... guests will now panic and think it's a 3hr stop and want to hit the emergency button, panic kits, etc because of noise around the prior incident. They have to condition these guests on what to expect. I bet we hear alot more overhead announcements too.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

View attachment 418245
I'd wager someone fears that even during a short stop... guests will now panic and think it's a 3hr stop and want to hit the emergency button, panic kits, etc because of noise around the prior incident. They have to condition these guests on what to expect. I bet we hear alot more overhead announcements too.

That bottom Sign is something they want no part of dealing with

Zipadeelady

If we're the mob then you're the sheep! ;-) Not riding is a realistic option. Some people are even avoiding the monorail. We drive to avoid waiting forever on bus stops and then having to stand on the bus. A Disney vacation can be $100's per day, and the Skyliner still has a lot of unanswered questions as to: long lines, start/stops, comfort, and chances of being stranded for 3 hours. Right now the track record it breaks down about once a month.
Sheep....?
Because I choose to use the transportation that I see nothing wrong with. I personally have never had an issue with the monorail, I've had some waits on buses and yes have had to stand a time or two but more than not we've gotten on with little wait and have even been the only riders on a bus. As for the skyliner I'll be there in less than a week and am excited about experiencing it. There are always going to be issues with something new. I expect it to be resolved if an issue arises and won't freak out when it does.

My question... What does driving because Disney costs $100 per day have to do with anything. If you drive you still have to deal with traffic, stop lights, parking booths, trams, ferrys. That argument seems ridiculous. Maybe i've been lucky so far with transportation. If so I hope it doesn't change.

Skywise

View attachment 418245
"Similar to other gondola systems around the world?"
That's a rationale? Yeah, it's technically true but instead of "Everybody else does it" How about "Due to the nature of the Gondola system the ride may be interrupted occasionally to help with the loading and unloading of some passengers or equipment". Nobody freaks out when Spaceship Earth stops occasionally for the same reason.

StarWarsGirl

To be fair - There wasn't a ride malfunction on Mission Space so it didn't "kill" them per se. I'm sure there's one person that's died on it's a small world after all these years :) (or at least driven mentally insane after being stuck on it for 30 minutes...)
As it turns out, there has actually been one person to die on the WDW IASW
Screenshot_20191014-134547_Chrome.jpg

flynnibus

Premium Member
why doesn't Riviera have the accessible loading spur the other stations have ? How do they load EVC's at Riviera?

Because it's a mid-line terminal... not an end-terminal like the other stations. The ECV loading is off the end of the lines in the current design. We've theorized designs where Riveria could have been built with it... but for whatever constraints... this is the design we have. They simply slow the line or stop it for ECVs at Riviera... which means the entire EPCOT/CBR line is impacted.

jinx8402

Pure speculation on my part, not knowing how detachable gondolas work, but is this a theory that sounds like what the plan is?

From the press release (or whatever you want to describe it as) mentions they are updating their processes and training. It also mentions system updates that will modify the schedule the next few days. HS will be closed all of 10/16, and all 3 lines will have a shorter operating schedule Thursday and Friday.

So, my theory is this. From what we know the failure occured when the Riviera station restarted after a 10 minute down time (based on information we know). Is it possible that the haul rope did not start in sufficient time, and so when the teal gondola attached to the haul rope it didn't move. This caused gondolas behind it to "crush" into eachother.

Perhaps the issue was operator error (updating processes and training). However, maybe Disney/Doppelmayr are implementing software changes to mitigate the human error part (system updates). It would make sense that they already put this update on the Riviera line, since 1. this is where the accident occured and 2. this is where they will run into the issue of starting/restarting the line due to no ECV loading area (more frequent stops). The downtime on wednesday for the HS line would be to install the update and test that line. The only thing this wouldn't address would be the POP/AoA line, but maybe since that line isn't nearly as busy they already updated that line as well.

Again, I have no technical knowledge on Gondola systems, and no real insight. Just trying to piece together some of the information that has been out there since last week. Feel free to tell me how wrong I am :p

matt9112

Because it's a mid-line terminal... not an end-terminal like the other stations. The ECV loading is off the end of the lines in the current design. We've theorized designs where Riveria could have been built with it... but for whatever constraints... this is the design we have. They simply slow the line or stop it for ECVs at Riviera... which means the entire EPCOT/CBR line is impacted.

Sounds like a massive compromise imho.

Incomudro

View attachment 418245

I mentioned this a while back, and thought it would be good for Disney to prepare guests that the Skyliner may experience stops as part of normal operation.
It's normal human behavior to get a bit concerned when any mode of transportation stops - even briefly.
That concern may be due to inconvenience, safety, comfort, claustrophobia, varying degrees of any of those, or something else entirely.
Those less familiar or completely unfamiliar with a gondola ride system are certainly going to be more concerned if the system stops.
That's partially due to the small size of the vessel they are contained in, and the fact that it's suspended from a cable.
So, letting riders know ahead of time that stops are normal is a good idea.

Naplesgolfer

Wow!! This seems like a unworkable solution for a high volume system with as many EVC's as Disney deals with each day. I have been a fan of the Gondola from the beginning . It seems the method of ECV loading at Riviera has the potential to cause problems and halt's forever.

jinx8402

Wow!! This seems like a unworkable solution for a high volume system with as many EVC's as Disney deals with each day. I have been a fan of the Gondola from the beginning . It seems the method of ECV loading at Riviera has the potential to cause problems and halt's forever.

I think they might have underestimated the amount of ECV users in general, but that said the only other option would have been to have it as another terminal station where everyone gets off and back on. They probably calculated that stopping it for those who need it is still more efficient then unloading everyone and having them get back on.

Lilofan

To be fair - There wasn't a ride malfunction on Mission Space so it didn't "kill" them per se. I'm sure there's one person that's died on it's a small world after all these years :) (or at least driven mentally insane after being stuck on it for 30 minutes...)
There wasn't a vehicle malfunction but when the guest drove the Lamborghini at NASCAR racing speeds around the Richard Petty driving experience Disney oval track by the MK parking lot a few years ago he crashed into an embankment and the passenger, the Richard Petty driving instructor lost his life. Then shortly afterwards the track was closed. Loved hearing the roar of the race cars in the distance.

flynnibus

Premium Member

Well remember... it's not all ECVS on the line.. only ECVs that need to get on/off at Riviera station (guests staying at CBR and Riviera). But yes, unless they get really good at loading at that station.. it's always going to hinder that line.

azox

Mission Space killed two people (I know, I know, pre-existing medical problems) but I love that ride and I go on it when ever I am in EPCOT!

I used to feel the way you do about Mission Space, but not anymore. It's not about the G-forces, it's not about people getting hurt on it.

It's about being trapped in the ride vehicle due to malfunction. In my case, we sat strapped in the ride, with the control panel right in front of us and doors locked for an extended period of time before the simulation started. It was long enough that your mind starts to say "Is the ride malfunctioning?". It ended up being a slow loading issue with other people on the ride.

Since that incident, I also looked a bit more into the ride and apparently there are cases where the floor for the ride does not come back up at the end of the ride leaving people stuck in those compartments until a ride tech is brought in to fix the issue. I can't imagine how long that would take to have done. To me that would be the worst ride to be stuck on.

So as much as I used to love this ride, I now just enjoy the pre show and post show with my friends while they ride it.

flynnibus

Premium Member
There wasn't a vehicle malfunction but when the guest drove the Lamborghini at NASCAR racing speeds around the Richard Petty driving experience Disney oval track by the MK parking lot a few years ago he crashed into an embankment and the passenger, the Richard Petty driving instructor lost his life. Then shortly afterwards the track was closed. Loved hearing the roar of the race cars in the distance.

Crashed into the interior infield barrier... which due to decisions to run cars in the opposite direction from what the track was designed for.. meant the barrier end faced into the direction of vehicle travel.. instead of away. Thus creating a safety hazard, that unfortunately contributed to the death of the instructor.

But we know that because details were released... not simply the company going "We've updated training and procedures..."

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom