Droid Depot Astromech Interactivity

Jones14

Original Poster
Hi, all! Apologies if this is already a thread, but we finally caved and built our own Astromech at the Droid Depot, and I believe that I read somewhere that the droids are able to interact with certain elements of the land.

Does anyone have firsthand experience with this? We left pretty quickly after building ours, so we didn’t really get much of a chance to figure it out ourselves.

Zé_Carioca

I only had mine around the land once when I was walking around after I bought it. I find the bb unit to be too heavy to carry around at the park so I haven't brought him back. Therefore, I am not well versed on it but I did notice that my droid would move around the box and make sounds depending on where we were on the land. Usually when other droids were around like the Droid at ronto roasters and the droids near the restrooms past the milk stand. I think I also remember my droid seeming antsy when walking near the first order area.

I didn't buy a chip so idk if they get excited at the resistance area/scared in the first order area if they have a resistance chip and the the opposite if they have a first order chip.

Tom 55

Was in front of the First Order ship when the engines started up. I thought is was the start of some show or meet and greet. Asked CM about it. Was told there is some way for you to "hack" into things in the land and make them do things with an app on your phone. Does your Astromech have any connectivity?

Attachments

• 20190911_200208[1].jpg
    20190911_200208[1].jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 246

Zé_Carioca

The hacking is for the Disney Play app!

As far as I know you dont control the droid connectivity, it interacts with the land "randomly" through bluetooth (it is not really random, but you don't control it personally).

HoustonHorn

Premium Member
As far as I could tell, it was completely random. I carried mine in one of their backpacks, and it would randomly start making noise and flashing lights and turning its head at people. The folks behind me in lines thought it was great. Maybe it did it when walking past other droids or other objects, but because it was on my back, I really don't know. I was there opening day, so it was crowded and I couldn't really hear it.

As for the personality chips, I think the only thing they do is change the sounds the droids make. I've played with mine (well, I thought it was mine, but my 4 y/o kind of appropriated it from me when I got home) with and without the chip, and the only difference I can tell is the noises it makes.

HiJe

I've been curious about these droids. Once you bring them home, do they do anything? Or do they just become RC cars like some people said? Thanks.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
When our BB units were in proximity to each other, they would stop chirping. When they were isolated, they were silent.

Vacationeer

In the Parks
No
We booked the Droid figuring it to be more fun in the park than a lightsaber?

I'm assuming they won't let us swing lightsabers around but we're free to smash our droid into the wall.

Zé_Carioca

We booked the Droid figuring it to be more fun in the park than a lightsaber?

I'm assuming they won't let us swing lightsabers around but we're free to smash our droid into the wall.

Technically you are not supposed to drive your droid around the land (which is why they encourage the backpacks). They now have added a droid testing mat outside the store where you are welcome to play with your droid. I have seen some droids out and about near the Falcon, but seems to be to the discretion of the CMs.

Vacationeer

In the Parks
No
Technically you are not supposed to drive your droid around the land (which is why they encourage the backpacks). They now have added a droid testing mat outside the store where you are welcome to play with your droid. I have seen some droids out and about near the Falcon, but seems to be to the discretion of the CMs.
Seriously? Hmmm. I guess tripping hazard but we may cancel our build reservation without an opportunity in the land to play with it (other than a mat). Not worth the hassle and space of bringing it home on plane.

Jones14

Original Poster
I’m thinking it’s one of those “technically a rule but never enforced” situations, as we had ours out and zipping around in the entrance tunnel to the land with no problems.

It’s probably just to cover their butts in case somebody tries to start driving theirs around in the middle of the Oga’s line on Christmas Day.

Mickeyboof

Has anyone heard about this? Go to 3mins mark in the video.

Is this app really in testing for consumers, or is it just for the CMs in the park?

These droids NEED an app to really be a quality sell...... I hope this is going to be released soon.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom