Planning a no park day, what do you do?

CapeCodTenor

I'm planning a trip for sometime in 2021, and I was wondering if you plan for a no park day, and if so what do you do on those days? I would think a trip to the resort pool is a must, but what else? An afternoon at Disney Springs? Resort hop? Mini golf? I've always wanted to resort hop but didn't want to take the time out of my trip to do this, but with my family most likely needing a day off of the parks to rest this could be the perfect time.

Jon81uk

Resort hopping depends what you are looking for, if you are happy wandering and looking at the architecture and water features then seeing Wilderness Lodge and walking to Fort Wilderness then a boat over to the Contemporary could be an idea. Or go over to Animal Kingdom Lodge, take a look at the savanna and then dinner at Boma maybe.
Personally I like to go to a water park (usually Typhoon Lagoon) and then some shopping at Disney Springs.

Upvote 0

eliza61nyc

I also think it depends on when you go whether or not to resort hop. If you go full summer, I'd skip. the resorts are usually packed and busy.
Generally what we do is similar to @Jon81uk if we resort hop we make an afternoon of it and also have dinner at the resort.
Boardwalk area is a great place to spend the evening on a non park day. they have those bicycle carriages, you can rent and ride around the entire lake go check out Beach and Yacht club. If your kids like ice cream and who doesn't ;) there is beaches and cream and usually there are some type of carnival games on the Boardwalk.

Upvote 0

CapeCodTenor

Original Poster
Resort hopping depends what you are looking for, if you are happy wandering and looking at the architecture and water features then seeing Wilderness Lodge and walking to Fort Wilderness then a boat over to the Contemporary could be an idea. Or go over to Animal Kingdom Lodge, take a look at the savanna and then dinner at Boma maybe.
Personally I like to go to a water park (usually Typhoon Lagoon) and then some shopping at Disney Springs.

I was thinking of checking out the architecture, so adding a dinner reservation in the resort would be a great way to finish it off. Thanks for the idea.

I also think it depends on when you go whether or not to resort hop. If you go full summer, I'd skip. the resorts are usually packed and busy.
Generally what we do is similar to @Jon81uk if we resort hop we make an afternoon of it and also have dinner at the resort.
Boardwalk area is a great place to spend the evening on a non park day. they have those bicycle carriages, you can rent and ride around the entire lake go check out Beach and Yacht club. If your kids like ice cream and who doesn't ;) there is beaches and cream and usually there are some type of carnival games on the Boardwalk.

Bicycle carriages! That sounds awesome! Great idea, thanks.

ETA: The Boardwalk looks great! And of course ice cream!

Upvote 0

pax_65

We went around to numerous resorts one year during the Christmas season to see how the different resorts were decorated for Christmas. We started at Old Key West, drove over to Port Orleans French Quarter and Riverside, then drove to Wilderness Lodge. From there we caught the boat to the Contemporary and took the monorail around to all the monorail resorts. I'm not a huge fan of the Grand Floridian, but I have to admit, it is really beautiful at Christmas. It was fun and such a weird thing to do, I've never forgotten it. We grabbed dinner along the way and then watched the MK fireworks from somewhere - I think along the water at the Polynesian.

Upvote 0

DisneyFreak

We always plan on a no park day. In fact we are going in February for our 25th Anniversary and staying 3 nights at The Poly and are not planning any park days. We usually just lounge at the pool, enjoy the resort and activities, resort hop, Disney Springs, eat, etc. We've done horseback riding at Ft. Wilderness as well.

Upvote 0

Weather_Lady

On a non-park day:

- If we have Parkhopper Plus tickets (formerly known as Water Park Fun 'n More), we spend the morning and early afternoon at a water park and/or playing mini-golf at Fantasia Gardens (near Swan & Dolphin) or Winter Summerland (at Blizzard Beach).

- If we don't have Parkhopper Plus tickets, we spend the morning lounging by the pool, and I pop in some laundry. (The laundry rooms onsite are generally located next to pools, and you can "watch" the progress of your washer/dryer cycles via the LaundryView app from your poolside lounge chair while sipping a cocktail! Buzzed laundering is the best kind of laundering.)

- We'll check the resort schedule to see if there are any movies, activities or free tours we want to do that day.

- If our resort has a nice TS restaurant that we want to try, we'll schedule dinner there on our non-park day. If it doesn't, we'll look for a fun restaurant at Disney Springs (where we can also bowl, or do a virtual reality adventure at the VOID), or offsite.

- If we feel like getting offsite, we'll also see about booking an excursion at whatever local escape room has the best reviews online.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

nickys

Premium Member
I love taking the boat around both Seven Seas Lagoon and Bay Lake. And you could resort hop at the same time.

At GF you can sit and listen to the band and the pianist. At 3pm there’s the super cute parade of little princes and princesses with Cinderella down the staircase, followed by dancing.

Lots to see in the lobby of the Poly. Both Poly and GF have distinctive shops to browse, Contemporary have theirs split into three, one with lots of kid’s stuff, one for homeware and adult clothing and the general store.

At the Contemporary there’s the huge mural by Mary Blair to admire, and who can exist the monorail going through the resort concourse. And a good arcade.

WL has it’s gorgeous lobby with the stream that rises inside it. And venture upstairs to find the little cozy seating areas. Pick up a copy of the hidden Mickey Hunt. Go across to the Carolwood Pacific lounge at the original villa building there to look at the photos and models of the trains. Watch the geyser every half hour.

Plenty to explore at FW.

Upvote 0

zeebs758

In the Parks
Yes
I would make use of your resort by heading to the pool and eating some lunch. Then you can make an early dinner reservation somewhere at the Boardwalk area which includes The Boardwalk itself, The Boardwalk Inn, Beach & Yacht club. After that, head to Jellyrolls by 7pm to get a seat until the show starts at 8. Grab some ice cream at Ample Hills afterwards!

Upvote 0

CapeCodTenor

Original Poster
I would make use of your resort by heading to the pool and eating some lunch. Then you can make an early dinner reservation somewhere at the Boardwalk area which includes The Boardwalk itself, The Boardwalk Inn, Beach & Yacht club. After that, head to Jellyrolls by 7pm to get a seat until the show starts at 8. Grab some ice cream at Ample Hills afterwards!

I've always wanted to hit the boardwalk but never took the time to do it. As for the highlighted, well, you'll have to forgive me for I do not know what you are referring to. I know, strange question, but I have literally not been down in years and honestly don't know what's down there show wise, fireworks or whatever. Thanks.

Upvote 0

nickys

Premium Member
Upvote 0

zeebs758

In the Parks
Yes
I've always wanted to hit the boardwalk but never took the time to do it. As for the highlighted, well, you'll have to forgive me for I do not know what you are referring to. I know, strange question, but I have literally not been down in years and honestly don't know what's down there show wise, fireworks or whatever. Thanks.

Jellyrolls is a piano bar! It's suppose to be a lot of fun, this will be a first for me.

Upvote 0

Vacationeer

In the Parks
No
I'd LOVE to do a resort day but we never have more than 5 days in WDW. Basically just enough time to run the parks.

There's plenty to do without spending money but if you'd like something cool and exciting, I highly recommend the virtual reality experience at The VOID in Disney Springs. I think it's about $30 each for 30 minutes and the whole process takes almost an hour. Mind blowing and a fantastic interaction with your family/friends. It doesn't disappoint! Check their website to see what's on offer.

I think what type of resort hopping to do depends upon the season. Holiday season is fun to check out Beach Club and Boardwalk areas tho it's very busy with everyone else also coming to look at the lifesize chocolate carousel and gingerbread house. Dinner at Sanaa or Boma at Animal Kingdom is awesome, plus explore their lobby and THE SAFARI! I love it there :D The Contemporary is so much fun to explore and then you can go explore the other monorail resorts, or finish at the Contemporary so you can watch the MK fireworks from the 4th Floor (free and has chairs) or California Grill (need receipt/no chairs). Party FWs are bonus.

I think you can't go wrong no matter which you choose. Pick what interests you and make a day of it.
Whatever you miss is on the list for next time. Have fun! :D

Upvote 0

Stellajack

Premium Member
We usually have 2 resort days, the arrival day and mid-stay resort day. We always plan an early arrival, so breakfast is at the resort food court (usually Port Orleans resorts), then on to Disney Springs or the resort pool. IF we do the Hoop de Doo, then that is almost always arrival day.
Mid-week resort day is a pool/laundry/reading day and Yeeha Bob later. The total relaxation resort days makes the park days so much easier. Typically, we do 5 day park hoppers. [I hope all the Grammarly folks are logged off!]

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom