Disney Skyliner shutdown and evacuation - October 6 2019

lazyboy97o

I'm sure there are - but are people with phobias and other conditions as likely to ride a rollercoaster as they are a relatively slow-moving gondola? Are elderly people and infants on rollercoasters? Please...I'm trying to keep my patience here, but these arguments are ridiculous. I stated a valid concern that this will be a big problem going forward based on the information we've gotten so far about this specific incident.
There are roller coasters which do not go that fast. The elderly and infants do right elevators and monorails that can and do get stuck for hours without air conditioning. The examples are ridiculous but they're known and familiar so people rightfully acknowledge their ridiculousness.

halltd

But there aren't anywhere near "hundres of thousands" of guests on the line at any one time.
How many cabins does Epcot hold? With 300 cabins total, I assumed at least 100 or more on the longest line. They hold 10 people so that can be anywhere from 100 to 1000 people, no?

And PS, I said “hundreds OR thousands.” Again with not reading my posts. I’m gonna get a complex now. This is rampant with you and my posts lately. Lol

ImperfectPixie

Still no word on when the Skyliner may reopen, but the Orlando Sentinel is reporting this evening that at least one person was taken to the hospital after being evacuated from their gondola.

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/bus...0191007-ozlnlfwndjhyhctyr2zstwlpji-story.html
Ha! I can read it on my phone. So...logic and deduction would make it seem that the person who called 911 requested medical attention, since Reedy Creek states that they evacuated 1 cabin containing 6 passengers.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
And when sweat stops working, because of high heat and humidity, which I believe is the state bird of Florida, heat stress and stroke follow.

While it was raining today, the humidity was 85%. It is rarely 100%. Fog is 100%. One hundred percent humidity is water condensing on your skin like you were a tall glass of lemonade with ice.

More heat, more evaporation. More evaporation, more cooling.

The danger is to anyone who hasn't been hydrating and isn't sweating (or engaged in strenuous activity, or dumbly wearing heavy dark clothing like long denim pants o_O ).

People act like human beings couldn't survive Africa or the tropics for 80,000 years before air conditioning.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
How many cabins does Epcot hold? With 300 cabins total, I assumed at least 100 or more on the longest line. They hold 10 people so that can be anywhere from 100 to 1000 people, no?

And PS, I said “hundreds OR thousands.” Again with not reading my posts. I’m gonna get a complex now. This is rampant with you and my posts lately. Lol

It the natural bias when reading this site, I always assume people are saying the worst possible things. ;)

Nunu

Wanderluster
Premium Member
By that logic Disney should also shut down all rides because a break down on them could also cause a panic attack?
The way I see it, it all comes down to personal responsibility. In the case of children and the elderly, their families are responsible.

After our last visit with my dad (and a health scare), we as a family, decided that a trip to WDW was not safe for him anymore due to health risks. He agreed and understood that the possibility of him getting ill again (or worse!) while on vacation, is not worth it.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
There are roller coasters which do not go that fast. The elderly and infants do right elevators and monorails that can and do get stuck for hours without air conditioning. The examples are ridiculous but they're known and familiar so people rightfully acknowledge their ridiculousness.
A little while back a disabled guy sued Disney after being stuck on Its a Small World. That’s about as slow and seemingly safe as a ride can be. It can happen just about anywhere. He got $8,000 from the lawsuit but I think that’s mainly from having to listen to the song over and over until he was rescued ;)

ImperfectPixie

The way I see it, it all comes down to personal responsibility. In the case of children and the elderly, their families are responsible.

After our last visit with my dad (and a health scare), we as a family, decided that a trip to WDW was not safe for him anymore due to health risks. He agreed and understood that the possibility of him getting ill again (or worse!) while on vacation, is not worth it.
The personal responsibility is what I have doubts about. It was really hard to admit at 45 years old that I could no longer handle rides that spin like teacups...I can only imagine how much more difficult it is to admit to having a phobia and being worried about riding a gondola and the possible ridicule that might come with such an admission.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
For some reason you never understand what I write. I was asking what would have happened to the panic attack guest had RCFD not evacuated them and just let the ride team get the whole system moving again? Not close every attraction because people might have attacks on them. I’m not actually sure how you even got that from my post.

My putting people at risk comment was referring to all the people in the cabins that were put at risk because of the single guest with the issue.
Sometimes the symptoms of a panic attack are very similar to a heart attack. I don’t think RCFD can ignore those symptoms. Even if they felt it was likely just a panic attack they can’t risk being wrong. I do think the newness of this system added to the panic. If a bus breaks down or even the monorail most people would remain calm. I wonder if there is some way to at least communicate with guests stuck to update them. That would probably go a long way to easing people’s minds

Vacationeer

In the Parks
No
So genuine question because I don’t know. What happens when you’re having a panic attack? I am sure it’s debilitating and scary, but is it harmful if left to happen? Just wondering if putting hundreds or thousands of people at risk is worth it for a single panic attack. Obviously RCFD thought so. But in hindsight, what do you think would have happened if they just kept working on getting blue out of the way and resumed movement of the cable which is the fastest way to get everyone down?

Again, asking for reals because I don’t know anything about panic attacks and their side effects or consequences of just letting them happen.
Hundreds or thousands, not hundreds of thousands, right? And if focusing on one single person with a panic attack was worth putting however many other passengers at risk.

Anyway... The panic attack person also told 911 they had a history of seizures. Maybe rescue wouldn't have responded so cautiously if it was only a panic attack? Not sure. But once 'history of seizures' was disclosed it became more serious.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
A little while back a disabled guy sued Disney after being stuck on Its a Small World. That’s about as slow and seemingly safe as a ride can be. It can happen just about anywhere. He got $8,000 from the lawsuit but I think that’s mainly from having to listen to the song over and over until he was rescued ;)
He actually probably got $4800 before expenses.

ImperfectPixie

Sometimes the symptoms of a panic attack are very similar to a heart attack. I don’t think RCFD can ignore those symptoms. Even if they felt it was likely just a panic attack they can’t risk being wrong. I do think the newness of this system added to the panic. If a bus breaks down or even the monorail most people would remain calm. I wonder if there is some way to at least communicate with guests stuck to update them. That would probably go a long way to easing people’s minds
Two-way call-boxes that ceased working properly when people freaked out about seeing the Reedy Creek emergency services teams and too many were trying to use them at once.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Two-way call-boxes that ceased working properly when people freaked out about seeing the Reedy Creek emergency services teams and too many were trying to use them at once.
Could they just run an announcement through the in cabin audio or is it not something that can be easily changed on the fly?

EdnaMode

Surely they are using a duplex systems where the cast member could speak reassuringly to everyone at once, overriding outgoing comms from the cars for long enough to briefly check in a few times an hour: There was a problem in one of the stations, it doesn't affect your gondola's safety. If anyone is having a true emergency, call 911 and/or reply to us. We'll check back in 20 minutes and until then, please keep the comms boxes free.

What prevented this kind of information from going out to everyone periodically??

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom