News Star Wars Galaxy's Edge opening day reports - Disney's Hollywood Studios

mergatroid

Again...they were shutdown on the first day. There is really no reason to “activate” them again. Lines may go up...but opening day crunch is over...to say the least.

They could activate them again if they need to, I'm just trying to help another member by saying I can't see any issue getting in to Galaxy's Edge until ROTR opens. Now perhaps they won't need to 'activate' them again or perhaps they will, neither of us knows.

I'm aware you live on this thread quoting everybody who says anything positive about GE and challenging them but it's getting rather tedious now when all I'm doing is trying to help another member. Can you guarantee people they'll never need it again, or is it just your hope so you can repeatedly go over the same stuff again and again and again and again?

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
They could activate them again if they need to, I'm just trying to help another member by saying I can't see any issue getting in to Galaxy's Edge until ROTR opens. Now perhaps they won't need to 'activate' them again or perhaps they will, neither of us knows.

I'm aware you live on this thread quoting everybody who says anything positive about GE and challenging them but it's getting rather tedious now when all I'm doing is trying to help another member. Can you guarantee people they'll never need it again, or is it just your hope so you can repeatedly go over the same stuff again and again and again and again?
No...you’re right there.

But if they were to “re-activate” after the land has been open 6 months - say Christmas week - that means they just can’t handle a normal crowd. Which means it’s not a functioning land. Which means “uh oh”.

Not that any of that can’t happen

And you can stop with the shaming/insults. It’s a webboard. Nobody here is being “productive”. But some actually can read AND type.

Last edited:

mergatroid

No...you’re right there.

But it they were to “re-activate” after the land has been open 6 months - say Christmas week - that means they just can’t handle a normal crowd. Which means it’s not a functioning land. Which means “uh oh”.

Not that any of that can’t happen

And you can stop with the shaming/insults. It’s a webboard. Nobody here is being “productive”. But some actually can read AND type.

Did the word 'tedious' make you feel shamed or insulted? Apologies if so, I didn't realise that somebody who is constantly challenging others could be so sensitive. Maybe just ignore me in future and I'll do the same as it's apparent we see things differently so we may as well not waste our time.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Did the word 'tedious' make you feel shamed or insulted? Apologies if so, I didn't realise that somebody who is constantly challenging others could be so sensitive. Maybe just ignore me in future and I'll do the same as it's apparent we see things differently so we may as well not waste our time.
Never offended...once. Just varying levels of annoyance.

I’ll make you a deal: I’ll stop commenting on the problems with Disney Star Wars when they stop having them. That’s a promise. 😉

Disneyfanman

Well we finally got to see GE for ourselves this past week. Surprisingly we all really enjoyed ourselves! MFSR was............pretty good. Fun but not something we would wait for. Olgas was weird and a pretty big miss-fire for our group. Drinks ranged from pretty good to pretty awful. Do these things get tested? The overall land though got high marks from my family and we had quite a few fun encounters with CMs and characters that were highlights. If ROTR hits big, then I think it will draw the crowds. The biggest miss-step for us was the lack of food options. Even the CMs recommended that we go “off-planet” if we wanted any reasonable mid-range snacks. That’s a long way to get something.

Going back to Olgas, really........What was Disney thinking? Nobody that I know has liked that experience. It’s not the price. Its too small, kind of grossly dirty, and the stuff they offer isn’t very good.

matt9112

I liked the Grand Ave entrance. I think the TSL entrance is much worse, and has some seriously bad visual intrusions from backstage.

Yeah they should have never cut the second tunnel out. The toy story entrance seems so....really? As an aside i also think they did not angle the grand ave tunnel enough as you can see straight through it. I like the going around reveal uni did.

matt9112

So sad? It looks stunning in person and the lighting design at night is just awesome.

View attachment 414798

GE has issues but the look and design of the land isn’t one of them.

Second entrance is awful outside of that i will agree but the cityscape and even the forest area looks far better than that awkwardly long winding path that just dumps into toy story land. I honestly think just a small tunnel would habe done wonders here (think like a collapsed petrified tree) just something to be a focal point down there.

The_Jobu

There’s an awful lot more interactivity waiting to be switched on in both lands. Not tested fully but installed.
If it’ll be switched on remains to be seen.

I can only post an opinion of the Anaheim version of the land and attraction; would it be better here or in a DL thread?

What Is the reasoning for not turning them on if they’re already there?

trainplane3

There’s an awful lot more interactivity waiting to be switched on in both lands. Not tested fully but installed.

I can only post an opinion of the Anaheim version of the land and attraction; would it be better here or in a DL thread?
I'd say post it in both places but just have a disclaimer at the top of the post saying it's your thoughts of the DL version.

Speaking of which, I have thoughts of DHS's but there isn't much positivity to them sadly. My friends thoughts were, and I quote, "Why is everything a store or restaurant?". 😟

Surferboy567

Id imagine this would use the datapad. Hope it gets turned on soon.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Disclaimer; this is my view of the Anaheim version but I was asked to post in both forums.

Its big. As a design the buildings look great. Huge amount of detail. As a land it’s odd. The rise area is almost like it is not part of the land. This isn’t helped by the landscaped berm; it gives the whole area an unfinished feeling. You go from elaborately detailed alleyways to a wasteland with lamp posts.

As I said we found the buildings to be hugely detailed inside and out. We walked around, looked inside and out, walked the market area and yes, it’s a market. No, they didn’t get one dime from us. I felt strangely unaffected by being in Star Wars Land. I had no connection. I was a huge fan as a kid, and still am to a certain degree. Maybe it’s IP fatigue. Maybe it’s because it’s the Disney version and not the “real” version. We were also lucky to be toured by someone from Glendale who worked on the majority of the land and an gained interesting insight into it and it’s details.

The Falcon ride... again, it’a big. Again, I felt disconnected. It’s the Disney version. We wanted to be mentored by Han Solo and have Vader chasing us. Again, detail was everywhere but to what end? We felt the overall experience to be lacklustre. The boarding cards weren’t explained. The plot was confusing (and a Disney plot). I was a pilot and got lucky; other party members were sat further back and complained of the view (or lack of). My biggest gripe aside from plot was the projection system. It’s too dark. On Star Tours anything naturally lit (like a planets surface) is blindingly bright. On this it’s muddling mediocre. It all seemed false, like the projection it is. And I know how it works and how complex the system is, this isn’t just an uninformed comment. Explosions should be blinding and crisp. They just looked like being projected by a worn out projector. Overall I expected more (and Ive said on these boards in the past). The queue was a D. The ride... a D. Just. Which came as a surprise knowing the engineering complexities behind it. We had no desire to ride again, even when the wait time was consistently lower than the parks E tickets.

Overall, it felt like a land trying to please to hard. Not enough to actually do beyond the fluff. Rise will go some way to remedy this (it’s virtually ready; the dates are a corporate decision) but some of the bigger issues run deeper. We ended up visiting the land more to use it as a path from Frontierland to Critter Country more than we did to go in it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom