Disney Skyliner shutdown and evacuation - October 6 2019

raven

Oh, and its impossible to provide a perfect world.
Disney touts themselves as basically guests being able to escape real life. While nothing is anywhere is “perfect” they sure push that image in their advertising.
...if they are charging champagne and caviar prices, they need to stop delivering beer and pretzel service.
Such as the $9 bottles of Domestic Beer at the new Grand Floridian Lounge.

HoldenC

But I thought Disney hated their Guests and left them to basically die. I'm telling you the "evil Disney" narratives being spread on social media are slowly starting to be revealed as the farce they are

72070975_10216983567855488_4114856257599307776_n.jpg

Rteetz

It was mentioned that Law enforcement was present conducting interviews with cast members. It also seems reasonable Disney would need to self report this to a state agency and that someone from the state who oversees these type systems would probably need to be involved after an accident.
Yes but that doesn't mean Disney can't/won't do their own internal investigation as to what went wrong.

monothingie

❤️Bob4Eva❤️
Premium Member
Yes but that doesn't mean Disney can't/won't do their own internal investigation as to what went wrong.
Of course. I would suspect that they are actively doing that as well, but more likely for the purpose to ensure that any design or system issues are appropriately corrected by Doplymyer. (If that was the cause)

But in terms of getting the system running again carrying guests a government agency would need to be part of that.

flynnibus

Premium Member
iders in the day, including those who write reviews for sites, have said that when pauses for more than a few minutes it gets hot

You are forgetting that humans love to make relative comparisons to help understand things. When it stops, it will get more uncomfortable compared to when it is moving. It will get “hot” in the sense they are not as happy with the environment verse the other situation. But that does not mean it has gotten hot to the point of dangerous, or even miserable. It means it got less comfortable than they would have liked.

The_Jobu

Didn't Disney comp an entire hotel stay when someone saw a CM mopping table legs in a food court?

The average expectations for customer expectations has gone completely out of whack. Sure "Disney Junkies " we're happy with their gift card, but you know someone is going to take their harrowing ordeal to the media soon.

Again, since no one was hurt, this is hilarious.

flynnibus

Premium Member
But in terms of getting the system running again carrying guests a government agency would need to be part of that.

You assume regulation is already in place here... there likely isn’t given the lack of use of these systems outside of amusement attractions in the state of florida.

It probably falls under the self inspections that most of their stuff does.

Last edited:

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
You are forgetting that humans love to make relative comparisons to help understand things. When it stops, it will get more uncomfortable compared to when it is moving. It will get “hot” in the sense they are not as happy with the environment verse the other situation. But that does not mean it has gotten hot to the point of dangerous, or even miserable. It means it got less comfortable than they would have liked.

Yeah, just a few degrees of temperature change is enough to cause physical discomfort but you're right that it's not necessarily dangerous or miserable.

Dizknee_Phreek

But I thought Disney hated their Guests and left them to basically die. I'm telling you the "evil Disney" narratives being spread on social media are slowly starting to be revealed as the farce they are

72070975_10216983567855488_4114856257599307776_n.jpg
I mean, I'm glad they had such a magical time being stuck in the air. As someone with claustrophobia issues, I'd have a much different experience. Being stuck for 15 minutes is one thing...3 hours and I would have come unglued. And what if a pregnant woman had gone into labor while stuck? What if someone had had a heart attack? A lady reported being stuck with her diabetic son and wasn't able to get into contact with anyone. They need to figure out a way to quickly deal with a real medical emergency if something like this ever happens again.

Last edited:

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
Didn't Disney comp an entire hotel stay when someone saw a CM mopping table legs in a food court?

The average expectations for customer expectations has gone completely out of whack. Sure "Disney Junkies " we're happy with their gift card, but you know someone is going to take their harrowing ordeal to the media soon.

Again, since no one was hurt, this is hilarious.

They were mopping tabletops at AoA after mopping the floor with the same mop.

flynnibus

Premium Member
It did highlight the evacuation procedures are inadequate, 3 hous in and they barely made a dent with the lift truck evacuations (and they were doing them one by one until the system started moving again), what saved it is they were able to clear it enough to start the system moving again. I'm curious how many actually did get lift evacuated before they stopped. At that rate it would have gone on until dawn. (now imagine this happening in the morning and it lasting through the entire day)

This is a key example of people seeing things and assuming they know what is going on. For all we know disney wasnt trying to evac everyone at this point.

Remember evac via extraction is the absolute last line of defense. You intentionally defer that choice and is not the first option in most stoppage situations.

Here they were trying to clear the station and line so they could evac guests via the stations. We dont know if they had made the decision to evac all guests. Data so far suggests no, as they were strategic in which cabins they evacuated before they got the line moving.

Bob Harlem

This is a key example of people seeing things and assuming they know what is going on. For all we know disney wasnt trying to evac everyone at this point.

Remember evac via extraction is the absolute last line of defense. You intentionally defer that choice and is not the first option in most stoppage situations.

Here they were trying to clear the station and line so they could evac guests via the stations. We dont know if they had made the decision to evac all guests. Data so far suggests no, as they were strategic in which cabins they evacuated before they got the line moving.

Yes, but considering I know someone personally who had a lift being raised to their gondola and they aborted evac right when the lines started to move I tend to doubt it. The only thing strategic was the order of who they could get to the quickest. But I see the point, I just don't buy it.

flynnibus

Premium Member
If this is true, that sounds like politics to me. Almost as if no one wanted to make that call and had to wait for the decision to get the blessing from higher up. Maybe I am wrong but seems like a long time to wait to make a decision on that. Personal opinion is that the crash was bad, the response was the real disaster.

Its not the decision you rush to because it is the slowest and most risky. You do everything you can to avoid using it, and only use it as the last resort. They knew they had an incident they could reach... so the most prudent thing to do was try to clear it so the line could be moved. The evaluation of that situation and the time to remedy it takes time.

Since the situation appeared to be recoverable... you dont evac. What we dont know is, if it took longer than expected, or if they changed their mind and started an evac, or if it was just specific evacs, etc.

Evacs will always be slow to start unless some catastrophic happens... because you literally want to exhaust all other potentials first.

Jrn14

I feel like there are a lot of strange opinions in this thread.

1. I don't understand the idea that the folks stuck in gondola's for three hours shouldn't be compensated in some way. I find what they are getting to be fine, but people are saying it's awful that anyone would want to be compensated because their day was "slightly less magical" lol ... Being stuck dangling 60 ft above traffic for 3 hours without AC or power is not "slightly less magical" than someone who missed their bus or couldn't ride test track.

2. These people saying "ive been stuck on a roller coaster or ski lift and it's not a big deal" TO YOU!!! I mean just because you were ok with it doesn't mean everyone in the world feels the same way about these types of things. Some folks take tons of reassurance and coercing just get them on a roller coaster or something like the skyliner and to think just because I wasn't afraid means nobody should or would be afraid is a pretty juvenile argument.

3. The idea that this things shouldn't have AC or an alternate cooling system is questionable... I took what everyone said about the cross breeze and airflow and accepted it as being enough. I heard the reviews of it getting hot when stopped for a few minutes, but assumed they know what they are doing... should never be stopped for that long barring an emergency.. but it was what 81 degrees last night and dark and people were hot... Thinking people wouldn't be passing out on a 96 degree July day in the middle of the afternoon... I feel like this is a pretty optimistic and naive.

4. I don't think the skyliner is a failure or needs to be torn down or is a waste of money etc.... All the above said I still am excited to ride it, but I just hope they rethink the cooling situation for the safety of future guests, and figure out what caused this issue to ensure it doesn't happen again.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom