Disney Skyliner shutdown and evacuation - October 6 2019

natatomic

Here’s a possible explanation I saw. 🤷🏻‍♀️
Though the “very common” part could be concerning.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Stuff happens.
A few months back some friends of ours had to be evacuated off the monorail at one of the motel stops due to some issue with the monorail. They were put on a bus to take them on to MK. Then their bus was rear-ended by another Disney bus. Total delay ended up being over two hours.
As long as nobody was injured this is just another one of those minor inconveniences that happen in life. Ever been stuck on the interstate for a couple of hours due to a wreck ahead of you?

Big difference between being stuck on the road because someone made a driving mistake.. and being stuck on a road because a bridge collapsed due to poor design.

Fixed transportation systems are designed to not have these kinds of incidents.. and Disney has one in under a week. Either that is the most miserable luck ever... or they had a design failure. Acceptable failure conditions should not include cabin impacts and derailments.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Yeah because the monorail and peoplemover have never had to have been evacuated... :rolleyes:
That’s not really a response, is it?
a CM was killed operating a monorail. There have been many bus crashes. This system isn’t going anywhere.
I do really want to know how this occurred. And hopefully no one was seriously injured.
I agree...the system isn’t going anywhere. You know what system is? The monorails. Matter of time.
You’re options are new stuff like the gondolas or buses, buses, buses!!
Have at whatever you choose.
Ten years ago the monorail got the worst press ever when two trains collided, killing a cast member. Seems like ridership is at an all time high these days!
Because of lack of options, really...they need new mass transit systems.

They will continue to drive more people into the parks. The Iger junta is going to punt as much as they can on this...but this was always the deal. You need to spend a lot of sunk money to transport people around down there. This was never “optional”...no matter what your quarterlies say. They OWN it...the die was cast in 1971

flynnibus

Premium Member
Here’s a possible explanation I saw. 🤷🏻‍♀️
Though the “very common” part could be concerning.

View attachment 416409

Given this is the first of its design... he couldn't have worked on a system that behaves the same. I find it highly unlikely that the modern system relies on human input for the actual spacing. That's a train wreck waiting to happen .. especially when you have a full computer control system at their disposal here. This isn't an old mechanical system with just safety interlocks.

Lastly.. his explanation doesn't fit what we already know to be the impact at dispatch. In short.. nothing to see here...

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Big difference between being stuck on the road because someone made a driving mistake.. and being stuck on a road because a bridge collapsed due to poor design.

Fixed transportation systems are designed to not have these kinds of incidents.. and Disney has one in under a week. Either that is the most miserable luck ever... or they had a design failure. Acceptable failure conditions should not include cabin impacts and derailments.

I’d love to hear what the exact failure was? I’m not sure we will know, though?

I like the concept...sorta...but I always doubted the load/unload with buffet carts and high volume of strollers. Any chance this was a loading problem?

Cesar R M

1. That post assumes that the crash happened when the cabin arrived at the station, but it was the opposite. It happened while dispatching.
2. That post first blames computer calculations and then new employees.
I suddenly imagine that he computer correctly did the calculations. But employees somehow were trained to "override" to keep as many gondolas moving as possible to maintain capacity?

MiddKid

I’m not necessarily buying the power loss being the root cause because the type of resort that most often has power losses are ski resorts! There have been so many times I’ve gotten on a lift, stopped momentarily, then upon moving again heard the loud Diesel backup engines. It would be weird for my local resort to go a week without a power failure. These systems are built for power outages.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom