News Big changes coming to EPCOT's Future World?

TJJohn12

Don't worry friend, I'm sure there will be actual Epcot attractions discussed on Sunday. Bob Chapek's Wonder Rotunda is minor.

They just included it in the pre-Sunday artwork because it's such a throwaway thing. It just appears to be a new generic events space to be used for festivals, upcharge events/Lagoon Show viewing, and private parties.

Thinking about who would use an events space like this, a majority of Epcot visitors probably won't even have a reason to go in the darn thing.

World Showplace will be used by a majority of visitors during this year’s festival seasons as it’s the Festival Center. Ditto of Wonders when it was Festival Center. I think you’re vastly overestimating the salability of an events complex within the park itself. The key marker for this is that the corporate lounges sit fallow and disused.

I’m expecting much of this space to be guest use space - focused, yes, on rotating booths for Festivals - that is largely open most of the time to average guests.

Will the roof be up-charge for the fireworks? Of course. Is that a profit driven decision? Sure. And it keeps the lights on for TWDC.

Oh, and the buck stops at the top. So if we’re gonna call this something, let’s call it “Iger’s Ignoble Coffee Table.” Why blame Chapek? Iger’s really in charge of the company. Credit and blame should go to the CEO, afterall.

TP2000

Oh, and the buck stops at the top. So if we’re gonna call this something, let’s call it “Iger’s Ignoble Coffee Table.” Why blame Chapek? Iger’s really in charge of the company. Credit and blame should go to the CEO, afterall.

You're right, the buck should stop at the top with Iger. But I honestly don't think Iger cares about stuff like this. It's almost like Walt in the last couple years, he'd moved on from theme parks and was going to reinvent the American city. The theme park that we now know as Magic Kingdom Park, upon Walt's death in '66 was just a cut-and-paste version of Disneyland circa 1965 and the weenie to get people to his new city.

Iger in 2019 is more focused on "content" and sucking up as much IP as possible to put on digital platforms. The parks to him are just conduits with which to access consumers (and their governments) to buy his digital platforms, I doubt Iger cares one whit about a new pavilion in Epcot.

I think Bob Chapek's Wonder Rotunda is just a festival/event flex space available for short term rentals. I'm sure much of the year at least two of its three levels will be openly accessible to any Epcot visitor. But out of the 12+ million visitors to Epcot per year, the majority being average tourists from Milwaukee or Manchester who just want to ride Test Track and the golf ball, this events flex space won't be a major draw for them and will be easily skipped.

Of course, I could be totally wrong. Maybe it will have a new table-service restaurant or bar that anyone can go to? Don't forget, I got all this after all from watching 40 seconds of a corporate sizzle reel video. I will tune in tomorrow to see if maybe this thing is actually a legit pavilion and attraction of some sort, instead of just a generic flex event-space and upcharge terrace.

It would be nice if there was a hip gastropub or something on the second floor, facing World Showcase Lagoon, that anyone could go to for the price of a beer and a couple of tapas plates. That could be fun! :)

Last edited:

Brer Oswald

By this time tomorrow we should have all the underwhelming details on Bob Chapek's Wonder Rotunda.

When I replied to @MansionButler84 I was only going off a quick viewing of this video from a couple days ago, that's apparently playing publicly in the WDI pavilion in the Anaheim Convention Center, right at this jump point...

And from that 40 seconds of video, it's easy to see that Bob Chapek's Wonder Rotunda has the following;

Ground Floor - A large sheltered space under the canopy, with no real theme but can be turned into space for booths, bars, bandstands, or whatever the client or Epcot event wants and needs. A large core building in the center must have elevators for ADA compliance and also supports the structure, but would also have mechanical and catering facilities. You can see that escalators go up to the second floor.

Second Floor - An indoor climate controlled space that is as nondescript as the ground floor. It likely has AV and data infrastructure like any modern hotel conference center, plus basic catering facilities and a large unobstructed space for booths, displays, parties, or whatever the client or Epcot event wants and needs.

Rooftop Garden - An outdoor space that is at least more novel and attractive looking than the lower parts of the building. It has terraces and patio spaces for parties and upcharge viewing of the Laser Water Show! on the lagoon, and is yet another flex space for whatever the client or event wants and needs.

Of course, these are all just educated guesses from me after seeing 40 seconds of a vague sizzle reel video. I could be completely wrong and this is actually some bizarre pre-show facility for an elaborate underground pavilion with a major E Ticket Attraction, Presented by Tesla.
But I don't think so. :D

I think that Bob Chapek's Wonder Rotunda is exactly what it appears to be; a multi-level flex space designed to be used for upcharge Epcot events much of the year, with the added ability to be rented out to external clients in whole or in part. You could even use the facility for multiple events simultaneously; a ground floor Marvel dance party for Epcot guests, a second floor corporate retreat for State Farm insurance agents at a mandatory team-building session, and a rooftop garden upcharge "Dessert Buffet!" viewing area for the nightly water show. All three of those events would never be in each other's way, and TDO would rake in extra cash from the second floor and rooftop garden. It will be infinitely more profitable than the Fountain of Nations ever was, that's for sure. :rolleyes:

I should mention that I think @marni1971 gets confused by the American use of the phrase "ground floor" and "second floor". In British-speak they would call that "ground floor" and "first floor". But that's the British, because aside from being a fabulous nation and society that nurtured democracy for centuries and spread basic human rights and justice around the world, the Brits use funny words for things.

TP, you kill me. I would forever call it Bob Chapek’s Wonder Rotunda, but I met a strange fella who calls ol’ cheapseats by a different name, so I’ll instead call it BOB Jaypeck’s Wonder Rotunda.

Stripes

Car Boot.
Boot:

Car boot:

Trunk:

Car trunk:

;)

TP2000

I watched the Epcot preview video from the D23 park’s booth and I have to say I’m confused. I think this part of this post sums it up for me. They’re going with this World Nature/Celebration/Discovery concept, which makes a few things seem like outliers. GotG, for example - how does that fit in? Test Track - how does that fit in to this seemingly new direction?

It's actually Test Track, Presented by Chevrolet. As God and Walt and General Motors all intended.

And you're right, in that some of this new stuff to be announced on Sunday doesn't really seem to fit at all. But then the original Epcot vision statements, from both 1966 and 1982 used a phrase that too many of today's Millenials think is profane - American Free Enterprise. Yes kids, that means Capitalism! Retreat to your Safe Spaces! :rolleyes:

"EPCOT will always be a showcase to the world of the ingenuity and imagination of American free enterprise." - Walt Disney, 1966

"EPCOT Center is a tribute to American ingenuity, productivity and technology, and the American free enterprise system." Card Walker, 1982

I have no idea how the Moana FountainWalk or whatever it is and Bob Chapek's Wonder Rotunda fit in the traditional Epcot mold of Future World with its corporate yet egalitarian pavilions and slick soft sells staffed by thin and attractive college kids in polyester jumpsuits, and all of it set to a snappy Sherman Brothers jingle.

But at the very least, all of the new upcharge offerings does seem to fit the guiding principles of the original EPCOT Center that was all designed to sell the sponsor's product and leave the audiences happy. It's just that nowadays Epcot seems to make that sale without the razzle-dazzle of showmanship and genuine hospitality and snappy theme songs. Now it's just mediocrity and a reserved folding chair for whoever can make a 180 day advance reservation with a credit card on file for a dessert buffet and a limited edition chunk of Chinese made plastic to take home as a memory of a MAGICAL! night.

And that's kind of sad for those of us who remember how "Disney" used to do things. Especially at Epcot. :(

Last edited:

smile

The parks to him are just conduits with which to access consumers (and their governments) to buy his digital platforms

as he tasks subordinates with achieving his vision while having installed creatively ineffectual suit after suit to run products parks?
... but please, keep the focus on vader while dismissing the importance of the emperor

"ol' cheapseats".

I love that! :D

you're for giving 'six-figure tesla drivers' more room, eh?

:cautious:

Last edited:

rkleinlein

Anyone else seeing a disconnect here? I’m trying to see the big picture here, but I’m just not getting it yet.
There's no big picture to see. No overarching vision to get. Hasn't been in decades. Not in Hollywood Studios, not in Animal Kingdom, and especially not in Epcot. From the company whose visionary leader invented the immersive theme park we now get a bunch of stuff--some good, lots mediocre--just scattered around at random.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
It's actually Test Track, Presented by Chevrolet. As God and Walt and General Motors all intended.

And you're right, in that some of this new stuff to be announced on Sunday doesn't really seem to fit at all. But then the original Epcot vision statements, from both 1966 and 1982 used a phrase that too many of today's Millenials think is profane - American Free Enterprise. Yes kids, that means Capitalism! Retreat to your Safe Spaces! :rolleyes:

"EPCOT will always be a showcase to the world of the ingenuity and imagination of American free enterprise." - Walt Disney, 1966

"EPCOT Center is a tribute to American ingenuity, productivity and technology, and the American free enterprise system." Card Walker, 1982

I have no idea how the Moana FountainWalk or whatever it is and Bob Chapek's Wonder Rotunda fit in the traditional Epcot mold of Future World with its corporate yet egalitarian pavilions and slick soft sells staffed by thin and attractive college kids in polyester jumpsuits, and all of it set to a snappy Sherman Brothers jingle.

But at the very least, all of the new upcharge offerings does seem to fit the guiding principles of the original EPCOT Center that was all designed to sell the sponsor's product and leave the audiences happy. It's just that nowadays Epcot seems to make that sale without the razzle-dazzle of showmanship and genuine hospitality and snappy theme songs. Now it's just mediocrity and a reserved folding chair for whoever can make a 180 day advance reservation with a credit card on file for a dessert buffet and a limited edition chunk of Chinese made plastic to take home as a memory of a MAGICAL! night.

And that's kind of sad for those of us who remember how "Disney" used to do things. Especially at Epcot. :(

There is a corporate sponsor: Disney. As the old corporate sponsors die off, Disney is holding the bag for 100% of the cost. So, instead of learning about the latest GE kitchen appliances, we learn about the latest Disney Princess. There was always synergy with the corporate sponsors, and now the synergy is self-referential. Free enterprise.

Mike S

There is a corporate sponsor: Disney. As the old corporate sponsors die off, Disney is holding the bag for 100% of the cost. So, instead of learning about the latest GE kitchen appliances, we learn about the latest Disney Princess. There was always synergy with the corporate sponsors, and now the synergy is self-referential. Free enterprise.
Something like Horizons or World of Motion did very much feel different and not like they were just there to sell a product/merchandise though even if they both had corporate sponsors. There is a bit of a discernible difference here.

tirian

You're right, the buck should stop at the top with Iger. But I honestly don't think Iger cares about stuff like this. It's almost like Walt in the last couple years, he'd moved on from theme parks and was going to reinvent the American city. The theme park that we now know as Magic Kingdom Park, upon Walt's death in '66 was just a cut-and-paste version of Disneyland circa 1965 and the weenie to get people to his new city.

Iger in 2019 is more focused on "content" and sucking up as much IP as possible to put on digital platforms. The parks to him are just conduits with which to access consumers (and their governments) to buy his digital platforms, I doubt Iger cares one whit about a new pavilion in Epcot.

I think Bob Chapek's Wonder Rotunda is just a festival/event flex space available for short term rentals. I'm sure much of the year at least two of its three levels will be openly accessible to any Epcot visitor. But out of the 12+ million visitors to Epcot per year, the majority being average tourists from Milwaukee or Manchester who just want to ride Test Track and the golf ball, this events flex space won't be a major draw for them and will be easily skipped.

Of course, I could be totally wrong. Maybe it will have a new table-service restaurant or bar that anyone can go to? Don't forget, I got all this after all from watching 40 seconds of a corporate sizzle reel video. I will tune in tomorrow to see if maybe this thing is actually a legit pavilion and attraction of some sort, instead of just a generic flex event-space and upcharge terrace.

It would be nice if there was a hip gastropub or something on the second floor, facing World Showcase Lagoon, that anyone could go to for the price of a beer and a couple of tapas plates. That could be fun! :)

Forget all that. Today’s Epcot announcements seem...well...boring.

The neighborhoods are a good idea. The coaster will probably be like Frozen Ever After: a good ride in the wrong park.

But overall, this isn’t bold or innovative, and the press release reeks of going through too many rounds of edits. I will continue to miss the original vision of EPCOT Center.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom