Journey of Water featuring Moana coming to Epcot

bUU

Business wise this seems like a compromise for focus groups to counter the idea that Epcot isn't kid friendly.
Actually, what this seems like is (finally) an acknowledgement that the time for the "theme park for eggheads" idea has passed, and it is time to utilize that prime real estate at the front of EPCOT for something that people (other than rabid fans of the old) will enjoy for many years to come.

Viget

I'm not completely opposed to this. Maybe after years of rumors and other hamfisted IP overlays I just expect the worst possible idea to get implemented. But we have to see how this gets executed.

A water garden in front the of The Seas makes some sense. The name "Journey of Water" is encouraging; hopefully that means some edutainment with a focus on the water cycle or how water gets from the mountains to the oceans. Moana is a decent IP to use for this as the movie has themes of exploration and respect for the natural world. At minimum, this should be a visually beautiful area. Cautiously optimistic at this point.

This.

If you've ever been to Hawaii or Polynesia writ large, you can see that the volcanic islands are the PERFECT model for the water cycle. Hot sun evaporates H20 from ocean. Trade winds blow moist air toward island. Moist air meets windward side of volcanic mountain, and is suddenly thrust upwards where it cools rapidly, forming clouds. Enough H20 condenses to cause precipitation. Rain falls on rich volcanic soil allowing for lush rainforest growth. Water either filters through volcanic rock to form groundwater reserves and springs, or falls in pools down waterfalls, down the mountain to streams, and eventually rivulets discharging back out to the sea. Great mini-water cycle right there.

Also, leeward side of mountain is bone dry as a result of this and forms deserts of the real that are then converted to resorts with golf courses so the rich can play in the sun all day. Oh, and which suck up a bunch of that groundwater we were mentioning earlier, thereby limiting options for agriculture on the island.

bUU

but what in the world is the theming of the park? I have absolutely no idea from what I have seen... It's all over the place....
Not at all. They made very clear: Four neighborhoods. Four themes. You want more details? You want clarity? First: Wait for Sunday when they actually present these four themes to you. Second: Wait until it is built because there is no way you're going to appreciate what they're building until you're actually in the middle of it.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Incorrect. It fits perfectly in Imagineering's vision of the future of the park.

It may not fit in your personal vision of what you would do if you had the power. Maybe Walt Disney World isn't your cup of tea anymore.

Except Imagineering no longer has "a vision" for any theme park, they do what they are told to do by upper level executives.

Bocabear

People like McDonalds and Applebees....why not put those at the front of the park too?
A well designed park should take you on a cohesive journey... Unless this is just going to be an Amusement Park with an "Around The World" shopping mall attached.... It is this front half of the park that I just don't understand at all... I get adding IP to the country of origin where it makes sense... But now the rest of this just seems so random...

wdwgreek

That is a very unusual form of "reserving judgement". It seems that you've already decided to have a negative predisposition toward it.
My initial impression is that this seems awful, but due to the fact I haven't seen the final project or much beyond a vague description i'll withhold final judgment until a full in person review of the experience? Is that better?

Bocabear

Not at all. They made very clear: Four neighborhoods. Four themes. You want more details? You want clarity? First: Wait for Sunday when they actually present these four themes to you. Second: Wait until it is built because there is no way you're going to appreciate what they're building until you're actually in the middle of it.
I have a pretty good imagination at understanding concepts...Just don't seem to get it yet.
I will wait for Sunday...hopefully it will all make some sort of sense by then...

bUU

Just like everything else. So, never build anything as its popularity will eventually drop?
That’s not the lesson/takeaway
Which you'd clearly want to be to do what you personal want, rather than what other guests want. That's pretty much it in a nutshell eh?

Up on the wrong side of the bed we are?
There does seem to be a tinge a desperation, and it isn't unexpected: We have to at least grant that time is leaving this small contingent of Disney fans behind.

wdwgreek

We will get some, but I'll bet that it won't be enough for some. Words and pictures aren't going to do the concept justice, especially in the minds of those who have worked very hard to predispose themselves to hating it.
My intail impression is it is going to be a water play areas with some interactive elements themed around Moana, which for the record I very much enjoyed as a film. I am not sure how it fits into the theme of EPCOT, the vagueness of the journey of water seems like a desperate ploy to try to rationalize it. Much like a film trailer that seems horrid, one develops a gut reacton now sometimes an intial reaction can be wrong. IE kingsman trailer made the movie out to seem like a bad 007 rip off, the reality was it was a really fun spy thriller. Gut proven wrong.

bUU

Not disagreeing with you Re: Disney's outlook on Epcot. But respectfully since this is a forum to discuss Disney World I do think there is a point to discuss whether something fits or not.
Sorry, but that's a conceit. A carpenter builds a triangular opening in a wall, and puts in a triangular window. You enjoy looking out this triangular window for years. Then the carpenter renovates the wall and makes the opening in the wall round and puts a round window in the opening. Claiming that the circular window does not "fit" is ludicrous.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom