NBA Experience at Disney Springs

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I am actually surprised that Disney has not done a Dinner Theater type experience in Florida... They have a couple in DLP Resort... Disney Springs could have used a Hyperion Theater and had a house run of the Complete B&TB Broadway Musical...Or the Broadway Aladdin... Little Mermaid...A big Disney Theatrical theater. I would rather spend my $ on something like that than NBA...though I will freely admit that I am not the target audience for this...

I still like the idea of a proper theater where they could run the Disney Broadway shows.

DisneyOutsider

You think he’s vying for some type of stake in the NBA post-Disney?
Would not surprise me in the least.
I mean, he wasn’t at the Toy Story Land opening.

Priorities.

I don't think that's what's happening here. Bob Iger spends BILLIONS of dollars on NBA broadcast rights across ESPN and ABC, which is likely the only reason that this NBA Experience exists in the first place. If Adam Silver comes down from NYC to open their shiny new thing (as he should), of course Iger is going to show up and host him. It's not politics... just business on a multi-billion-dollar level.

Magic Feather

I am actually surprised that Disney has not done a Dinner Theater type experience in Florida... They have a couple in DLP Resort... Disney Springs could have used a Hyperion Theater and had a house run of the Complete B&TB Broadway Musical...Or the Broadway Aladdin... Little Mermaid...A big Disney Theatrical theater. I would rather spend my $ on something like that than NBA...though I will freely admit that I am not the target audience for this...
While not on the scale that you mentioned, Hoop Dee Doo and Spirit of Aloha both fit the bill as “Dinner Show” experiences at WDW.

tissandtully

I mean if Pigeon Forge can have 20 or so dinner shows, I think Disney can do it. Just hire Dolly, all her shows are pretty good, and when they aren't she rebrands them super quickly. Heck, Paula Deen even has her own show in Pigeon Forge now.

Saskdw

So I am curious, how exactly do you think message boards should work? Should people only post if they think something is wonderful, and keep it to themselves if they don't think it's any good? You can judge something objectively even if it doesn't interest you. I think Tower of Terror is a great ride even through I have never, and will never ride it. Based on what we have seen of this, it doesn't look that well executed.

There are a number of threads on this forum where the negativity goes beyond judging or sharing an opinion. There are people saying the same thing over and over on every page just in case someone missed it the first 10 times they posted it. They reply to every post basically the same negative opinion. It's gets old after awhile.

If you hate it why spend so much time in a thread about it?

Edit: I'm not referring to you specifically.

Last edited:

flynnibus

Premium Member
It just seems like people are taking a very narrow minded approach to judging it. Instead of looking whether or not Disney may be trying to appeal to a younger demographic.

Or... you can stop assuming people only think of themselves and are perfectly capable of evaluating the experience for multiple demographics.

Because you know... Disney didn't hire kids to build it either.

I have young boys in my family... and I don't see them hooked on this at all. They'd probably say "yeah, that was cool.. but can we go back to the Void???". And as a parent... I wouldn't want to pay for this at all.

Ever consider if Disney would allow 'observer' only passes? Doubtful... so I hope you enjoy paying full price just to watch your kids while you do almost nothing. Judy the soccer mom is not going to go through the combine, or do dribbling drills.... maybe she shoots 3-5 shots.. maybe plays the slingshot.. but what else is she going to do? Just walk out at the end wishing she didn't have to pay...

Think about it... this is touted as the NBA experience... and what do you get to experience... high school basketball drills with a little bit of tech thrown on top? Where is the wow moment of meeting or working with an idol? Or maybe even the people who could be future stars.. or even PRETENDING to be with them, etc. Where is the wow moment of pretending YOU are the NBA star? Or even playing to see what the experience would be like?

Where's the experience where I could try to make a shot around/through what it's like to be defended by NBA sized players? Where's the 'what its like to do player intros in a NBA team arena?'. Where's the what it sounds like on the floor when someone makes that Game 7 winning shot?

As an 'experience' this falls way short. It's the kind of stuff kids do at their local camps... not something that is a unique visiting experience you can't find anywhere else.

tissandtully

There are a number of threads on this forum where the negativity goes beyond judging or sharing an opinion. There are people saying the same thing over and over on every page just in case someone missed it the first 10 times they posted it. They reply to every post basically the same negative opinion. It's gets old after awhile.

If you hate it why spend so much time in a thread about it?

Edit: I'm not referring to you specifically.
Did you ever go into DisneyQuest?

Bocabear

While not on the scale that you mentioned, Hoop Dee Doo and Spirit of Aloha both fit the bill as “Dinner Show” experiences at WDW.
Hoop Dee Doo is adorable! I love that dinner show... Spirit Of Aloha gets mixed reviews... I live down in South Florida and we have The Mai Kai here which does a Polynesian show that is probably better than the Spirit Of Aloha but without Disney Characters... I do wish they would re-imagine the entire Luau Cove and build something really spectacular...
I think WDW could support several Dinner show experiences... And a real deal Broadway theater would be amazing too.

Saskdw

Well you’d understand what this replaces, and what we got that could have been so much better, which is why we’re still complaining about it!

Disney Quest was an old rundown obsolete arcade that I never would have step foot in if it wasn't included in my package.

The NBA experience is a great looking brand new facility. I'll admit I'm more excited about the sports bar attached to it than the experience itself, but I just don't get all the complaining. The building looks really good and fits in well at DS. For those that aren't interested don't go.

Aside from that myself and some other posters were referring to the negative tone of the forum in general in numerous threads not just this one. Although this thread does have some people beating a dead horse by stating their opinion over and over again.

techgeek

Think about it... this is touted as the NBA experience... and what do you get to experience... high school basketball drills with a little bit of tech thrown on top? Where is the wow moment of meeting or working with an idol? Or maybe even the people who could be future stars.. or even PRETENDING to be with them, etc. Where is the wow moment of pretending YOU are the NBA star? Or even playing to see what the experience would be like?

As an 'experience' this falls way short. It's the kind of stuff kids do at their local camps... not something that is a unique visiting experience you can't find anywhere else.

My nephew is 11... shoots hoops in the street daily, knows the full NBA roster... pretty much what I was assuming the target audience is for this.

Watching the video walkthroughs, there’s nothing for him. He gets a better ‘pro’ game experience on his Xbox. He has no interest in trivia, and he’s buried in YouTube already for the history and stats, a kiosk interface for that stuff screams 1998 museum display. The ‘tech’ stuff is too much analysis and standing around and not enough action. It’s slow and awkward and doesn’t matter. He knows how high he can jump. They have the same arcade hoops games at Fun Spot. I was planning on taking him, but it looks like I’d spend $70 for the privilege of watching him be board within 20 minutes and trying to get me to buy him something in the shop.

Unless the positive reviews start pouring in and this plays a lot better in person then it looks... right now it looks like a hard pass to me.

eddie104

Disney Quest was an old rundown obsolete arcade that I never would have step foot in if it wasn't included in my package.

The NBA experience is a great looking brand new facility. I'll admit I'm more excited about the sports bar attached to it than the experience itself, but I just don't get all the complaining. The building looks really good and fits in well at DS. For those that aren't interested don't go.

Aside from that myself and some other posters were referring to the negative tone of the forum in general in numerous threads not just this one. Although this thread does have some people beating a dead horse by stating their opinion over and over again.
Nostalgia is something else on these boards. :rolleyes:

tissandtully

No one is wishing for DQ in its current state, it was left to rot and we get this instead. I doubt you visited DQ in its prime condition when it opened. There was so much more that could have been done.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom