New Mid-Day Ticket Option

rkleinlein

I just looked at the website and was quite surprised by the number of ticket types and ticket options. While it may not be confusing for experienced Disney goers and those who are "in the know" (like most people writing in these forums), my guess is that a lot of people are going to find the number of choices confusing and overwhelming. I sure did. What's the right ticket portfolio for me? I just want to walk into the parks with my family.

Buying tickets to Disney theme parks now reminds me of choosing a health insurance plan or a Disney dining plan, or a iPhone: you wonder what's the best for you and if you're spending more money than you need to.

Even selecting dates on the calendar with different prices for each day is--I don't know--it's just not fun. Definitely not "magical." And it's confusing: I chose 5 days with the first day at $103 per day. All the subsequent days in the 8 day window have different prices--all higher than $103--but I am told that $103/day x 5 days is a total of $510.01. But it's not: 5 x $103 is $515. How did they come up with that number?

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I see 2 days/wk where park closes early...maybe it varies in September and beyond. But so do crowd levels. Not a bad option for those going in the fall. Especially since the afternoons will begin to cool off a bit. Makes the park doable in the afternoon. I wouldn’t buy one for August. My kids would not enjoy the heat, not to mention the Florida midday t storms.

Most weeks in September have three Halloween parties.

Tom P.

This board never disappoints.

I saw this announcement and thought it was a great idea and would be a good way for my family to save some money without changing anything about the way we like to do the parks. I also immediately knew that if I came here and checked, this would be almost universally decried by the folks here. The most hardcore of Disney fans who hate literally everything Disney does.

Thanks, guys. Never change.

Clyde Birdbrain

Unknown Member
Buying tickets to Disney theme parks now reminds me of choosing a health insurance plan or a Disney dining plan, or a iPhone: you wonder what's the best for you and if you're spending more money than you need to.

It reminds me of booking a flight. When you get the month calendar to pick your outbound and return flights, the prices for each day are different. Weekends are more expensive, etc. I think a lot of people are used to that. If you're flexible you play around with the dates until you find the lowest price. That's exactly what Disney wants, for people that are flexible to choose cheaper / less busy days. I don't like it, but I don't think it's that confusing and overwhelming for the regular vacationer.

rkleinlein

It reminds me of booking a flight. When you get the month calendar to pick your outbound and return flights, the prices for each day are different. Weekends are more expensive, etc. I think a lot of people are used to that. If you're flexible you play around with the dates until you find the lowest price. That's exactly what Disney wants, for people that are flexible to choose cheaper / less busy days. I don't like it, but I don't think it's that confusing and overwhelming for the regular vacationer.
Exactly. Booking a flight is a better comparison. Even if not confusing or overwhelming for some, it can be for others, especially first timers. It definitely entails more work than ever before. And buying airplane tickets isn't exactly a pleasurable experience even if we are used to it.

And while I understand congestion pricing, it is a bit absurd, I think, when a theme park ticket has 25 different prices depending on the day--and that's not including all the options and add ons. (For 4 day ticket, for example, prices begin at $101 then increase at $1 intervals until the higher range where they increase by $2, $3, or $5 to a maximum of $141.) I don't think a $1 or even $5 price difference will encourage many to change dates by one or two days. A twenty dollar difference is another story. It could be so much simpler with three prices: value ($101), normal ($121), and peak ($141). But of course they pay Bob Chapek to make these decisions, not anyone here.

Last edited:

durangojim

They've just announced two more ticket types: the Odds and the Evens. They're half off regular ticket prices but you can only attend the parks on the odd numbered hours or even numbered hours. You have to leave the park on the opposite hours. They're marketing them towards smokers who have to leave the parks to go smoke anyway.

Lirael

Mid-Day Magic Ticket - Admission after 12pm at the 4 theme parks for $160.88 for a 2 day ticket

Question: This one doesn't include park hopper. Does that mean that while I may choose any of the 4, in the end I will only be able to go to a total of at most 2 out of the four parks, since it's for 2 days, one park per day. Is that understanding correct?

Sorry if it's obvious, but i have friends who might actually want this and I don't want to recc without being certain of what I'm suggesting they buy

Po'Rich

This is a sneaky way to rollback the ticket price increases without saying as much, in an effort to increase attendance and save (some) face.
I was wondering the same thing. Noon is not that late. At other parks, I've seen after 5 p.m. tickets, but never after 12. Considering the news from the Q3 report (and despite what Iger stated), I wonder if Disney is concerned that they raised prices too much too quickly and this has resulted in lower attendance. Testing out an after 12 p.m. ticket option would be an easy way to see if pricing is the issue while saving face with the regular pricing.

Horizons '83

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
This board never disappoints.

I saw this announcement and thought it was a great idea and would be a good way for my family to save some money without changing anything about the way we like to do the parks. I also immediately knew that if I came here and checked, this would be almost universally decried by the folks here. The most hardcore of Disney fans who hate literally everything Disney does.

Thanks, guys. Never change.
In your case, it makes sense. A family of 4 can save $500 bucks over 4 days. But in my case there are just 2 of us and I love rope dropping. It's a nice option if it works for you.

jpeden

In the Parks
No
Mid-Day Magic Ticket - Admission after 12pm at the 4 theme parks for $160.88 for a 2 day ticket

Question: This one doesn't include park hopper. Does that mean that while I may choose any of the 4, in the end I will only be able to go to a total of at most 2 out of the four parks, since it's for 2 days, one park per day. Is that understanding correct?

Sorry if it's obvious, but i have friends who might actually want this and I don't want to recc without being certain of what I'm suggesting they buy

That is correct - although I believe there is a park hopper option that you can attach to it.

Ravenclaw78

"The 2-, 3- and 4-Day Mid-Day Magic Tickets* are available for use on or before Dec. 15, 2019:

• Two-day ticket from $88 a day, plus tax (from $176 total, plus tax)
  • Three-day ticket from $84 a day, plus tax (from $252 total, plus tax)
  • Four-day ticket from $79 a day, plus tax (from $316 total, plus tax)"
"A Park Hopper Option and a Park Hopper Plus Option are available for add-on. For Park Hopper Plus option, admission to Disney Water Parks and other fun activities is after 12:00 PM."

jpeden

In the Parks
No
At one of four parks. You could easily plan your park visits based on when the Halloween parties are taking place and go to another park from 12-8, 9 or 10 depending on which park.

Or - you could go to MK on a party night because everyone avoids the place like the plague because it's perceived you don't get the value. Yes you don't get to see the fireworks, but if you hit MK on a party night, for the most part you can see and do everything twice.

Lirael

That is correct - although I believe there is a park hopper option that you can attach to it.
Thank you. My friends might not want park hopper. They're on a very tight budget, a seven day trip, and their focus is Harry Potter. i might just suggest they get this + Mickey's Christmas party and thus go to 3 out of 4 disney parks

EOD K9

I'm almost ok with this as we usually only buy a one day ticket when we get off the DCL boats. My family is usually tired at the end of the day and we dont get as much park time. I'd almost rather get to the park later after being rested.

BoarderPhreak

I was wondering the same thing. Noon is not that late. At other parks, I've seen after 5 p.m. tickets, but never after 12. Considering the news from the Q3 report (and despite what Iger stated), I wonder if Disney is concerned that they raised prices too much too quickly and this has resulted in lower attendance. Testing out an after 12 p.m. ticket option would be an easy way to see if pricing is the issue while saving face with the regular pricing.
Noon is definitely not late, especially considering the majority of World Showcase at Epcot doesn't even open until 11am, just to cite one example (albeit the most extreme).

Disstevefan1

I never show up until 12 anyway, I sleep in when I’m on vacation

In the decades my family has been visiting WDW, though try as we may, has never made it to rope drop! We came close once, missed it by 10 min.

99 percent of the time we get there some time after 12 noon. So theoretically this would work for us, but as it's written, it's a limited time offer.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom