Predictions! Secret WDC Project — August 22 @ D23

Smiley/OCD

From what I can tell, there are three different airstrips, nothing that could handle a large passenger capacity. It appears that Delta, Jet Blue, American Airlines and United all fly to the island. I am not sure if these are one time flights, but JetBlue appears to fly round trip twice a week. (All the flights are through Atlanta for all the carriers)

If Disney is serious on developing the island, the airstrip on the island's southern end could be transformed to support the needs of an Aulani type resort. The biggest airstrip appears to be on the north side of the island, but since the island is 110-kilometers long I would assume they would not opt for that route.

On a different note, if Disney does buy an airline as some rumors suggest, a plane could be placed on a route to the island that would travel between it and Atlanta, and possibly Orlando as well.

If this actually is true, I could see the 1-hour announcement going from announcing the airline acquisition, then suggesting packages which include the air tickets with the parks and hotel, and then announcing a Lighthouse Point expansion with the idea of connecting it with one of their new planes. Corporate synergy at its finest.

Will this actually happen? Doubt it. Purely hypothetical.
It's already been announced by Disney that they have no intention of starting an airline...I don't know why this rumor is being perpetuated. The story ran a few weeks ago on CNBC business

SplashJacket

It's already been announced by Disney that they have no intention of starting an airline...I don't know why this rumor is being perpetuated. The story ran a few weeks ago on CNBC business
In the previous post, I mentioned it was purely hypothetical, and I acknowledged it was a rumor and not fact.

Smiley/OCD

Yes, it was a rumor and the rumor has been shot down by Disney. Why would Disney want to A) start an airline or B) buy an existing airline...airline profits change on a dime, as they are influenced by many different factors other than the economy. The bigger downside IMHO, is Disney is constantly hounded for their pay of CM's... Imagine pilots staging a walkout/ strike and what that would do to their brand image? Could you imagine what would happen if a Disney plane crashed, God forbid? It would cost them 1/10th the cost to just pay an airline (like they do with Alaska Airlines) to plaster the fuselage with wraps and not worry about the liability. Although if one of those Disney "branded"planes had a problem, that wouldn't help Disney's image. Back in the 70's, Eastern Airlines was the official airline of Disney World until they went out of business.

rle4lunch

As I had posted in the D23 Post.....The reaction will be this...
Disappointed Chris Farley GIF

You need the rest of this clip where he tears the place up.

tirian

Today, Al Lutz himself (!) mentioned this announcement in his first update in a long time, and amid the not-so-subtle jabs at WDW, he noted not to expect anything too big from this announcement. It could be some details for the Marvel Land that can’t be called “Marvel,” some vague notes about a Tomorrowland redo, or something similar on that scale. Long shot: movement on the long-term plans for a Disneyland in India, which has languished in development hell for a while (and for some reason, we never talk about it on these boards).

Given Al’s track record, I’m going to take his advice and temper expectations.

Indy_UK

I think the excitement for a Disneyland India may be fairly low on these boards as I doubt many have the desire to vacation there anyway where as Tokyo/Hong Kong and Shanghai is different? I don't know

EPCOTCenterLover

Today, Al Lutz himself (!) mentioned this announcement in his first update in a long time, and amid the not-so-subtle jabs at WDW, he noted not to expect anything too big from this announcement. It could be some details for the Marvel Land that can’t be called “Marvel,” some vague notes about a Tomorrowland redo, or something similar on that scale. Long shot: movement on the long-term plans for a Disneyland in India, which has languished in development hell for a while (and for some reason, we never talk about it on these boards).

Given Al’s track record, I’m going to take his advice and temper expectations.
I'll bet on a D23 announcement for an Indian Magic Kingdom. (See here for shameless plug.) I think there's plenty of reasons to look at India. Even on these boards, it's been discussed awhile back to first bring it to World Showcase. It was originally part of Westcot, too. A Magic Kingdom in India makes too much sense for the big money plans the Company has.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom