Millennium Falcon: Smuggler's Run - Ride/Queue Details and Discussion

180º

I figured that. Have you seen the alternate pre-show many times or is the Hondo AA pretty reliable?
Hondo seems pretty reliable! I actually haven’t seen the alternate pre-show in person. But unlike an AA which is best viewed in person to appreciate scale, dimension, and fluidity, a video pre-show translates pretty well to video.

Hondo is an exceptionally fluid animatronic and he has many impressive functions (his face, he can shrug his shoulders, etc) but his staging is akin to a department store mannequin display and his physical acting is stiff compared to the voice acting. It especially pales in comparison to the delightful on-screen Hondo performance.

Steph15251

Yeah this seems like my experience as well. Is 3 coaxium even possible? I felt like when I got 2 I didn't do a perfect run and yet I haven't seen a video of anyone getting 3 and Hondo's ship seemingly only has slots to carry back 2 so....
When I went on it ,and did it twice the frist time we crashed and when that happened the screen went black and we stayed in there for about a min before we got off it.

Jones14

This ride is tons of fun. Not without its problems, but as far as interactive rides go, it easily tops the list.

We rode in all three positions (would rank gunner as weakest, less because it was bad and more because the other two exceeded expectations). The mission itself was engaging, had some good comedy, and the overall experience is different enough from Star Tours to justify having both in the same park.

TrojanUSC

This ride is tons of fun. Not without its problems, but as far as interactive rides go, it easily tops the list.

We rode in all three positions (would rank gunner as weakest, less because it was bad and more because the other two exceeded expectations). The mission itself was engaging, had some good comedy, and the overall experience is different enough from Star Tours to justify having both in the same park.

It's fun but very uncomfortable with like a family of 4 then a random party of 2. Plus, lots of frustration among adult when kids are the pilot and wind up crashing, etc.

thequeuelinelectures

Finally finished my video essay review on the ride (seems like self promotion to share so I’ll just say go to my channel if you’re interested)

I’d push back and say it’s not a bad ride, but it might be a bad interactive ride. So so so much work goes into accommodating the interactive elements ie rendering in real time, developing control schemes, and dialing back the traditional narrative elements to focus on your crews story. It’s disappointing to me then that the ride is literally 100% linear aside from whether you collect 1 container of coaxium or two.

You just have no agency to really change your ride. I understand you can’t crash or go off on extreme tangents, but some subtle tweaks and branches that are responsive to your performance would go a long way to actually make the ride truly interactive and not just a half step above mission space

Imagine if failing to hit the brakes when the train stops meant the whole falling sequence didn’t play out exactly the same and you aren’t guaranteed 1 container of coaxium. Maybe failing to shoot the missle at the train means you have an alternate escape scene when you have to dodge incoming fire from the gunship

Really small variations on a still pretty linear path would make a huge difference and I hope we can get that in future missions

Jones14

It's fun but very uncomfortable with like a family of 4 then a random party of 2. Plus, lots of frustration among adult when kids are the pilot and wind up crashing, etc.
It’s weird that you say that, because our group was made up of four and put with random parties of two. We just introduced ourselves, asked if they wanted a picture at the holochess table, and that was that.

I also didn’t see anyone getting (actually) upset at bad flying, and the ride’s set up to where the worse one position does, the more the other two get to do.

PorterRedkey

Original Poster
Finally finished my video essay review on the ride (seems like self promotion to share so I’ll just say go to my channel if you’re interested)

I’d push back and say it’s not a bad ride, but it might be a bad interactive ride. So so so much work goes into accommodating the interactive elements ie rendering in real time, developing control schemes, and dialing back the traditional narrative elements to focus on your crews story. It’s disappointing to me then that the ride is literally 100% linear aside from whether you collect 1 container of coaxium or two.

You just have no agency to really change your ride. I understand you can’t crash or go off on extreme tangents, but some subtle tweaks and branches that are responsive to your performance would go a long way to actually make the ride truly interactive and not just a half step above mission space

Imagine if failing to hit the brakes when the train stops meant the whole falling sequence didn’t play out exactly the same and you aren’t guaranteed 1 container of coaxium. Maybe failing to shoot the missle at the train means you have an alternate escape scene when you have to dodge incoming fire from the gunship

Really small variations on a still pretty linear path would make a huge difference and I hope we can get that in future missions
I have not ridden the ride, but I agree. Maybe the other scenarios will have more path options.

It weird that you only get the extra astroid field scene if you do bad. There should be an extra scene if you do really well too, instead of padding the end of the ride.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I timed out two versions on YouTube, one with and one without the Asteroid scene and they are the same length. The one without the scene had filler at the end to make up the difference.

What kind of filler?... Aw heck, now I'm gonna have to research recorded versions, too...

danlb_2000

Premium Member
What kind of filler?... Aw heck, now I'm gonna have to research recorded versions, too...

You can see the two videos I compared here:

thequeuelinelectures

You can see the two videos I compared here:

I'm 99% sure it's not performance based. While there are a lot of variables so it's hard to say for sure but my best evidence is that in the POV you posted the asteroids sequence is about 24 seconds long. In this POV it's 56 seconds long. Obviously that doesn't completely rule it out but I really think it's just being used to stall in certain sets of circumstances

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom