News New Gondola Transportation - Disney Skyliner -

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Ok I’ll admit, I didn’t read through ALL 969 pages so I apologize if this is old news. I got something in the mail today regarding DVC, specifically the new Riviera resort, and it says the Skyliner is projected to open December 2019. This is most specific opening date I’ve seen so I thought I’d share for others. View attachment 383714

See here...

Transportation
  • Gondola Lift!
    • Timeline:
      • open on the later Disney timeline of "Fall" rather than the presumed time of completion. [here]
      • OR... with SWL opening in Aug 29, 2019, it's planned to open before that [here]
      • Even though WDW is till saying "Fall 2019", the DCP collegians got notices for Skyliners positions to start in August [here]

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Ok... it still doesn’t say December 2019 in any of those posts you quoted so I’m confused.... should I delete my post? We have no plans to stay at a gondola resort so it really doesn’t matter to me when it opens 😂. I was just sharing 🤷‍♀️

@JoeCamel is right about the DVC simply advertising that the Skyliner will be open when Riviera opens and not meant to imply that Skyliner won't open before December. Even "Fall 2019" which is still on the websites is before then. And in my quoted text, we have insider info that CMs are told it opens in August.

DisneyDreamer08

@JoeCamel is right about the DVC simply advertising that the Skyliner will be open when Riviera opens and not meant to imply that Skyliner won't open before December. Even "Fall 2019" which is still on the websites is before then. And in my quoted text, we have insider info that CMs are told it opens in August.

It’s technically still fall til December 20th ;)

Ok, August it is!

Creathir

Ok I’ll admit, I didn’t read through ALL 969 pages so I apologize if this is old news. I got something in the mail today regarding DVC, specifically the new Riviera resort, and it says the Skyliner is projected to open December 2019. This is most specific opening date I’ve seen so I thought I’d share for others. View attachment 383714
The text is inclusive of the Riviera itself, and as such the furthest date out for both projects has been included as the projected opening date.

Given that December is the projected opening date for Riviera, that is why it is listed as such in the wording above.

Thanks for sharing though!

DisneyCane

OK... looking at the second video (which I didn't see until just now) that's pretty clear.

My question: what holds the clamp in the open position? Spring tension?
It seems like the "arm" rotates past a point that causes the spring to make it get "stuck" in the open position. I'm guessing the close rail puts enough force on it to rotate it enough that it springs to the closed position.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
It seems like the "arm" rotates past a point that causes the spring to make it get "stuck" in the open position. I'm guessing the close rail puts enough force on it to rotate it enough that it springs to the closed position.
I went back and looked (again) (very closely) at the D-Line Grip Video, and at 0:40, the drawing seems to indicate that the angle of the grip lever depresses below 90°, with the same springs that hold it in the closed position now locking it in the open position.

Which is fine. As long as nothing hits the arm and pushes it up as the cabin rolls around the station.

I'm sure they've considered the possibility and engineered out any chance of that happening...

DisneyCane

I went back and looked (again) (very closely) at the D-Line Grip Video, and at 0:40, the drawing seems to indicate that the angle of the grip lever depresses below 90°, with the same springs that hold it in the closed position now locking it in the open position.

Which is fine. As long as nothing hits the arm and pushes it up as the cabin rolls around the station.

I'm sure they've considered the possibility and engineered out any chance of that happening...
The worst that would happen is the cabin doesn't attach to the cable and gets stuck which I'm sure triggers a stop.

I'm also thinking it takes more force to close it than just hitting something.

trainplane3

Looks like Blog Mickey spotted cast members working the skyliner a little bit ago.
Yep!
I wonder if those are the uniforms they'll be using (could be trainee uniforms)? I was kind of hoping for something...Monorail-y/captain-y? Then again, that wouldn't make sense.
img_1950.jpg

org_dsc08352.jpg

http://blogmickey.com/2019/06/disney-cast-members-take-over-operation-of-the-disney-skyliner/

Andrew C

You know what's funny?

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Yep!
I wonder if those are the uniforms they'll be using (could be trainee uniforms)? I was kind of hoping for something...Monorail-y/captain-y? Then again, that wouldn't make sense.
img_1950.jpg

org_dsc08352.jpg

http://blogmickey.com/2019/06/disney-cast-members-take-over-operation-of-the-disney-skyliner/
I was expecting ski parkas and those hats with the furry ear flaps. If we have to suffocate in those death boxes I think it’s only fair that CMs suffer too;)

My guess is those are some kind of safety shirts to make them standout during testing.

Nunu

Wanderluster
Premium Member
That yellow shirt looks like it's longer in the back. Even if dude tucks it all in, the front wouldn't stay tucked in the front for long. The size of that shirt is wrong for him.
He looks too relaxed for my taste, even if it's just for testing.

I'm surprised a supervisor let him out looking like that. And if he is one, well... that's not good at all!

montyz81

I just realized that the vents are on the rear of the gondola. Why wouldn’t they
Put vents on the front? Vents on the back will not help with air circulation all that much.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom