News Annual Pass price increases June 2019

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Technically the combination of Star Wars Galaxy's Edge and Toy Story Land is a net gain on attraction count compared to what was there before. We lost a backlot tour and a car stunt show and have gained a coaster, a whip ride, a simulator and a trackless ride. The backlot tour was definitely in need of replacement as well.
Also Pandora at DAK is a gain of attractions, the Lion King show moved within the park, as did the meet and greats so the only loss was the Pocahontas show and we then gained two new attractions.

So we have had recent expansions, but yes there is a lot more that could be done.
Technically they Eliminated 4-5 things prior - even if they weren’t popular. We need to talk about “gains” in a more academic sense

ToTBellHop

Disney is not trying to reduce crowds. They are trying to charge larger crowds, more.

They aren’t building $2 bil In overpriced rides and increasing overhead costs for less people.

We need to stop with saying things that never made any damn sense
Sort of. They do genuinely want to spread crowds out, however. But not because they really care if we are waiting in line--rather because they'd like to have steady staffing year round.

Parkeit

Called this morning. The new rate is the new rate. They said they were not aware of the price increase until this morning (so it wasnt leaked to the public). Said there is nothing they can do to change the price.
Thanks for doing my dirty work for me! Wish there was a different outcome though.

Jon81uk

Technically they Eliminated 4-5 things prior - even if they weren’t popular. We need to talk about “gains” in a more academic sense

I can't think of any significant permanent attraction that closed recently (as in 10 years or so) except for Sounds Dangerous and the Hunchback live show. The temporary movie promo stuff that was in the soundstage which got demolished to make the Toy Story Land entrance doesn't really count as it was never a proper permanent attraction, more often just a display to promote the latest movie release (or test something).

What significant attractions have closed without replacement?

Chef Mickey

This is an interesting one:

One school of thought - Wow, AP's are more expensive now - I'm not going to renew.

The other - Wow, AP's are more expensive now. In order to realize the value of the AP I may have to go a few more times every year so I get my money's worth.

I think it lies in the rationale one uses when making the decision. People can talk themselves into anything.
Price isn't a factor for some people. As long as regular ticket prices increase, the AP will still be a tremendous value.

I hope it decreases crowds as a side effect.

CJR

Disney is not trying to reduce crowds. They are trying to charge larger crowds, more.

They aren’t building $2 bil In overpriced rides and increasing overhead costs for less people.

We need to stop with saying things that never made any damn sense

I agree, Disney does want their parks full. That's why if they're slower than expected, they lift block out dates for APs, launch a "Bring a Friend promotion", offer all kinds of deals, meal discounts, you name it.

They want the regular day busy or those cupcake parties and After Hour events lose their appeal. At the same time, they want those base prices to go up. In no way do they want people to drop their passes entirely.

ppete1975

...So let’s hear it:

Tell me how this strengthens the value of the parks longterm?
Lowers AP. Which is a good thing. Disney World makes more money off of tourists (Id have to do the math but before star wars I think Land is the opposite). They are trying to reduce the crowds, so by going up on AP's they a) make a bit more money b) reduce the amount of AP's. The people who buy APs will still go to the park but will either a) go less on a lower AP (helps lower attendance) b) go less and buy regular tickets. In theory lowering attendance sounds bad but they aren't removing the daily tickets they are reducing the amount of times a person goes that only buys a ticket once a year (much more expensive ticket of course). IF Disney wasn't afraid of the backlash I think they would get rid of aps unless it was AP Premier at an even bigger price.
Heres how I look at it. they make 536.47 off a tourist that stays 5 days starting june 27
That is more expensive than silver.
That tourist in theory will spend more on souvineers and once in a life time things.
And once they go back home that attendance is gone.
So for the guest... less people.. for Disney more money

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Lowers AP. Which is a good thing. Disney World makes more money off of tourists (Id have to do the math but before star wars I think Land is the opposite). They are trying to reduce the crowds, so by going up on AP's they a) make a bit more money b) reduce the amount of AP's. The people who buy APs will still go to the park but will either a) go less on a lower AP (helps lower attendance) b) go less and buy regular tickets. In theory lowering attendance sounds bad but they aren't removing the daily tickets they are reducing the amount of times a person goes that only buys a ticket once a year (much more expensive ticket of course). IF Disney wasn't afraid of the backlash I think they would get rid of aps unless it was AP Premier at an even bigger price.
Heres how I look at it. they make 536.47 off a tourist that stays 5 days starting june 27
That tourist in theory will spend more on souvineers and once in a life time things.
Well, I don't know about you, but if I were to pay 22% more for an AP, I'd be going at least 22% more often, and I'd be doing more off-the-grid stuff to save some money in the process. Fewer CS/TS meals, more picnic lunches. Fewer $4 sodas, more free ice water. Fewer off-the-rack t-shirts, more Zazzle in my life...

Coolbert

Disney: Increases Annual Pass prices drastically.
Me:

ToTBellHop

Not really they’re goal. Disney’s strategy of late is to make us believe they have a premium experience that we should shell out thousands for. They don’t particularly need the guests who buy the $400 APs and show up with Subway for lunch. Instead, with premium events, upcharges at upcharge events, VIP Tours, 4 Club 33s, and tiers of APs, they are trying to bring in the upper echelon of guests who have money burning holes in their pockets. Select APs are not appealing to Disney but those who would shell out $1000 for an AP are. They likely have more money available. It’s not really about crowds for Disney. It’s about having as many rich people as possible. Even charging $7 for a pretzel is meant to give the illusion of luxury.

Kingoglow

I feel like Disney should have just gotten rid of all AP's below Platinum. Leave only two options, AP and AP+.

Locals will argues that they would never by the AP after that change. Meanwhile everyone else in this thread (out-of-staters mainly) argue that they wont buy the Platinum AP at the newly announced rate.

I would guess that enough locals would buy an AP and enough out-of-state visitors would also buy it to make a two-tier pass profitable.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom