Disneyland to customers: Visit us now! Ahora! That means NOW! Please?

TP2000

Original Poster
This is giving me deja vu. It's like February 2001 all over again.

Thinking about it a bit more, I think the better analogy would be the Olympic summer of 1984.

There was so much media attention on how crowded LA and all the tourist spots would be during the Olympics, that the moment the torch was lit in the Coliseum the freeways emptied, the beaches were bare, and Disneyland had tumbleweeds rolling down Main Street USA. Jack Lindquist and Richard Nunis both mentioned in various interviews how dead Disneyland was during the Olypmics because locals and tourists alike stayed away for fear of all the crowds.

The Millenium Falcon: Target Run may be just a souped up Star Tours, but the land overall is very finely done and has a lot to offer (to small groups of people at a time). And once the other bigger E Ticket opens and they get out from under this reservation system that has boxed them in, I have no doubt the crowds will arrive and will be horrendous.

But Hans, you and I as long-term Disneyland observers have the same initial reaction to the non-crowds of June, 2019 - Hey, where is everybody?!?

Last edited:

TP2000

Original Poster
So... does this mean they were right not to build a full restaurant attached to the cantina?

I think the bigger point is that it's increasingly apparent they were really hosed by not having both rides open for June, 2019.

Obviously the Resistance ride is months and months away from opening (November?), or else they would have just delayed a few weeks to get the entire land open at the same time.

Once the Resistance ride was shown to be a basket case, they maybe should have pumped up their reservation only numbers and/or shortened the reservations-only timeline to a single week. They really seem to have boxed themselves into a corner with this 24 day long reservation period. I can only imagine how desperate TDA must be to get to June 24th, if their recent reversal of blockout dates and this week's Parks Blog posts are any indication. Ahora!

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 107043

But Hans, you and I as long-term Disneyland observers have the same initial reaction to the non-crowds of June, 2019 - Hey, where is everybody?!?

Yes and the impression that, as a customer not a DLR executive, the lack of crowds is a non-issue and maybe a blessing.

TP2000

Original Poster
Caterpillar Tractors

Never forget! And thank you for knowing our history. Too many people in this future year of 2019 have no idea.

Speaking of this, warning flags went up for me when Disneyland thought it wise to label the expensive merchandise stores Savi's Workshop and Droid Depot as "Attractions" in the new land. You have to shell out a couple hundred bucks, pay to play, for these "Attractions". And then you get a cringey yet trying-so-hard enthusiastic shopclerk instead of a real actor doing the whole schtick for your 200 bucks.

That's just not cool. It's even worse than labeling the free Caterpillar tractor display as an "Attraction" like they tried to do in 2001.

skdfnqer18310.jpg

SuddenStorm

Never forget! And thank you for knowing our history. Too many people in this future year of 2019 have no idea.

Speaking of this, warning flags went up for me when Disneyland thought it wise to label the expensive merchandise stores Savi's Workshop and Droid Depot as "Attractions" in the new land. You have to shell out a couple hundred bucks, pay to play, for these "Attractions". And then you get a cringey yet trying-so-hard enthusiastic shopclerk instead of a real actor doing the whole schtick for your 200 bucks.

That's just not cool. It's even worse than labeling the free Caterpillar tractor display as an "Attraction" like they tried to do in 2001.

skdfnqer18310.jpg

Still not as egregious as having Chip and Dale's treehouse labelled as an attraction.

Rich T

2019: Crowds stay away for fear of Crowds
2020: New SW movie tanks, and GP thinks Rise of the Resistance is just the name of another bad film, because it sure stinks as a ride name.
2021: Everyone has so much fun on DL classic attractions that they forget Galaxy’s Edge is hidden back there.
2022: Discovery Bay conversion announced.

I can dream. :D

britain

I think the bigger point is that it's increasingly apparent they were really hosed by not having both rides open for June, 2019.

Obviously the Resistance ride is months and months away from opening (November?), or else they would have just delayed a few weeks to get the entire land open at the same time.

Once the Resistance ride was shown to be a basket case, they maybe should have pumped up their reservation only numbers and/or shortened the reservations-only timeline to a single week. They really seem to have boxed themselves into a corner with this 24 day long reservation period. I can only imagine how desperate TDA must be to get to June 24th, if their recent reversal of blockout dates and this week's Parks Blog posts are any indication. Ahora!

Still I can’t help but think that whatever insane crowds RotR is going to get when it opens, it will be somewhat less insane because a summer’s worth of people won’t be trying to see it since they were just there before it opened. (I mean guests like myself who can only get to the park once every couple of years.)

Apparently that’s a very small summer’s worth of people. But it’s still something.

Phroobar

Still I can’t help but think that whatever insane crowds RotR is going to get when it opens, it will be somewhat less insane because a summer’s worth of people won’t be trying to see it since they were just there before it opened. (I mean guests like myself who can only get to the park once every couple of years.)

Apparently that’s a very small summer’s worth of people. But it’s still something.
Well we know certain people on this forum won't even enter the land so there is that.

shortstop

skdfnqer18310.jpg
To be fair, I’m looking at a park map right now, and the following are also listed as attractions:
  • Disney Gallery
  • Main Street Cinema
  • Golden Horseshoe
  • Shooting Gallery
  • Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique
  • Everything in Toontown
  • Launch Bay
So it’s not like Disney hasn’t always stretched the definition of what an attraction is. Granted, none of these (except maybe BBB, I’m not sure) cost close to $200, but I don’t think it’s unreasonable to say that Savi’s provides a more attraction-like experience than any of these other diversions.

Stevek

I guess it’s a nice bone to throw to CMs. What they really want to do however is get paying customers to DL before the reservation period ends. I’d imagine that the people who booked hotel rooms to get an SWL reservation would be pretty upset if they open the the land up to the general public.
So CMs can come to the parks but given reservations are booked up, they can’t visit Galaxy’s Edge?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom