News New Gondola Transportation - Disney Skyliner -

mm121

Seeing the videos of the gondolas at International Gateway

I really wish they would have pushed the station just a little further north into the backstage area.

That way the gondolas would go over the pathway but wouldn't be DECENDING over it.

With them coming down right over the path really makes the area feel claustrophobic and in the videos there's the natural inclination to need to duck.

Plus just feels like everything is so squished together and crowded at IG.

Nubs70

I’m just saying, what signals the official completion of the attraction - is it the major physical construction, is it the testing, is it safety approvals?
Project Acceptance.

All deliverables have been delivered.
System Operation meets scope criteria.

Very simply. When Doppelmyer hands the keys over for the product they promised to deliver

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
I've looked closely at the videos of the uncovered gondolas and I've seen them all be 2 one side and 3 on the other. But, I've also seen the 3 vent side facing forward and the 2 vent side facing forward. It was odd. Couldn't figure out what was going on.

They haven't always been running the lines in the same direction, so sometime the 2 side if forward, other times in the 3 side. Every video I have seen recently has had the 2 side forward.

ABQ

I really wish they would have pushed the station just a little further north into the backstage area.

That way the gondolas would go over the pathway but wouldn't be DECENDING over it.

With them coming down right over the path really makes the area feel claustrophobic and in the videos there's the natural inclination to need to duck.

Agreed, to a degree. The claustrophobic issue isn't something that impacts me personally, but I am a bit curious about the traffic flow for guests, but arriving and departing the park. Not going to speculate, but will be interesting to see how it all plays out.

joelkfla

It's too bad Disney doesn't own DC. They could've put the famous pose of Superman coming in for a landing on the side of one of the cabins. :)

trainplane3

Interesting article about there needing to be more firefighters after adding all of the attractions with specific coverage on the Skyliner:
https://www.orlandosentinel.com/bus...0190517-wuin256jerdohkngcufsdsltnu-story.html

For our non-Merican friends, the specific section:
Stromsnes spoke to the Sentinel in an interview recently to express a specific concern that Reedy Creek has added more equipment — but not more manpower — for when the 300 gondola cabins start running to Hollywood Studios and Epcot from several resorts this fall.

Should a problem with the gondolas ever arise, they could be up to 60 feet in the air or stopped over water.

Reedy Creek has spent $1.4 million on equipment and a truck that can go up to 116 feet and another truck for about $840,000 that can reach 173 feet, Classe said.

Reed Creek firefighters will also be able to access the gondolas by using a barge bought by Disney on a lake along the route.
Training on the new equipment began in April with Reedy Creek responders logging more than 2,500 hours so far.

But instead of hiring more people, the firefighters already on duty must take up any calls with the high-rise equipment, Stromsnes said.
“We have the equipment,” he said. “We just don’t have the people.”

At all times, at least 32 firefighters are on duty, minimal staffing levels in place since 2014, Stromsnes said. Classe added there are also two Battalion Chiefs and one shift commander on duty.

The force is made up of 138 firefighters overall.

In 2019, the Reedy Creek Fire Department made a budget request for 40 new positions although only two, which were administrative positions, were added, Stromsnes said, stressing his frustrations were not aimed at Disney but at Reedy Creek.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
So do we have any insider info as to whether a phase 2 and expansion is on the cards or not?

When we last left Our Insider, there were zero plans to expand the gondola system. Through a variety of hints, any new form of mass transit will be dedicated roadways (apart from the ones the cars and buses use) with some from of train-like vehicle which may or may not be wheels or tracks and may or may not be automated. And if that does come to pass, it wouldn't even start to be built for a few years.

joelkfla

Looking at the current characters wraps it's interesting to note that there are very few villains. The only ones I have spotted are Pete and Bellwether. They have none of the real iconic villains.
Villains are a niche market. These have to appeal to families with small kids who might be scared to get in a gondola with Maleficent or the Evil Queen

Pete is cartoonish enough to be non-threatening, and I think young kids don't know who he is, anyway. I have to admit, I myself don't know who Bellwether is.

Indy_UK

When we last left Our Insider, there were zero plans to expand the gondola system. Through a variety of hints, any new form of mass transit will be dedicated roadways (apart from the ones the cars and buses use) with some from of train-like vehicle which may or may not be wheels or tracks and may or may not be automated. And if that does come to pass, it wouldn't even start to be built for a few years.

Shame as I think resort wide would of made sense except The Magic Kingdom and those resorts

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom