News Star Wars Galaxy's Edge Disneyland opening reports/reviews

britain

To be able to see the cockpit itself is more exciting than the scenery outside, the job’s interactivity is less stressful and plenty of fun. Just my opinion! Many will likely agree with me, some will disagree.

Nice to see that there are different benefits to each role.

BrianLo

We've had multiple people declare that each of the three roles is the best.

I'm sure objectively if Disney surveyed everyone the split would not be even.. but we were honestly expecting 95% preference for driving, 5% for gunner and 0% for Engineer over the past several years.

So the fact the split doesn't seem so aggressive with a small data set is promising. They didn't totally mis-design this attraction. I also think the random assignment was a brilliant solution.

Last edited:

BrianLo

6 seats per ride, and two seats are stuck being "engineers" pushing buttons in the back? Oh, heck no. If I'm paying $125 to get in and then waiting in line for three hours for this thing, I'm flying the darn ship. I don't care how precious that little moppet from Utah is, I'll wait for the next pod to rotate into position and take the controls on that one, if you please.

Not an option for me, you say? There's honor in being a flight engineer, you say? 200 buttons to play with, you say? After paying $125 to get in and waiting in line for three hours? Fine, I'll wait here at the holo-chess table until your manager in droopy-butt Dockers and a tacky pin lanyard can come speak to me and put me in the next pod to fly the ship. :cool:

And yet again, this Falcon ride concept has me convinced no one of any importance on the Star Wars Land project has ever worked in a theme park. They are laughably out of touch and nearly clueless on how Disneyland actually works.

Thankfully the other ride is normal, and has vehicles that go on a prescribed path and don't dead end into a wall and miss all the action when the precious moppet from Utah in the front seat gets scared.

For posterity!

TP will be demanding to ride Engineer with the precious Utah Moppet because it's so much more fun when they get scared and suck. :hilarious:

Old Mouseketeer

We've had multiple people declare that each of the three roles is the best.

I'm sure objectively if Disney surveyed everyone the split would not be even.. but we were honestly expecting 95% preference for driving, 5% for gunner and 0% for Engineer over the past several years.

So the fact the split doesn't seem so aggressive with a small data set is promising. They didn't totally mis-design this attraction. I also think the random assignment was a brilliant solution.

Actually, nobody I've talked to said it sucks--they all really enjoyed it. The area of GE they got to see looked great, the attraction theming was terrific and the ride was fun. What I'm hearing overall is about the trade-offs you have to make in a theme park attraction. Universal went through this with JK Rowling--there have to be some compromises between maintaining the integrity of the IP and making it work. I think a lot depends on your individual expectations and what's important to you.

From details I heard, most people will be wowed at boarding the Falcon. There is tremendous detail, but purists may notice a few cheats. From the 360o video Disney posted, it appears the chess room has been expanded in size (no real surprise there), and looking back at the opening where you entered the room you can see immediately to the left the new doorway leading to the second cockpit position and the ADA cockpit (very much like predictions we have seen posted here). From the video it doesn't look too jarring. The ride/video itself has numerous trade-offs. Several people told me the visuals were darker than they expected. They thought the sound and effects were great. Some people who rode it more than once enjoyed it more on subsequent missions. I've heard various comments about how much you are actually impacting your storyline. As I suspected, it sounds like a bit of the Indy overhype we heard. But I didn't hear anyone say they didn't have a good time. Mind you, this is from roughly half a dozen people I have talked to, some I don't know that well.

I'll be looking closely when I get to visit on Tuesday (it's good to have friends who work there). I'll let you know what I think. I hope we get to see the whole land, even if RotR isn't open! Stay tuned.

VJ

Actually, nobody I've talked to said it sucks--they all really enjoyed it. The area of GE they got to see looked great, the attraction theming was terrific and the ride was fun. What I'm hearing overall is about the trade-offs you have to make in a theme park attraction. Universal went through this with JK Rowling--there have to be some compromises between maintaining the integrity of the IP and making it work. I think a lot depends on your individual expectations and what's important to you.

From details I heard, most people will be wowed at boarding the Falcon. There is tremendous detail, but purists may notice a few cheats. From the 360o video Disney posted, it appears the chess room has been expanded in size (no real surprise there), and looking back at the opening where you entered the room you can see immediately to the left the new doorway leading to the second cockpit position and the ADA cockpit (very much like predictions we have seen posted here). From the video it doesn't look too jarring. The ride/video itself has numerous trade-offs. Several people told me the visuals were darker than they expected. They thought the sound and effects were great. Some people who rode it more than once enjoyed it more on subsequent missions. I've heard various comments about how much you are actually impacting your storyline. As I suspected, it sounds like a bit of the Indy overhype we heard. But I didn't hear anyone say they didn't have a good time. Mind you, this is from roughly half a dozen people I have talked to, some I don't know that well.

I'll be looking closely when I get to visit on Tuesday (it's good to have friends who work there). I'll let you know what I think. I hope we get to see the whole land, even if RotR isn't open! Stay tuned.
when does @Darkbeer1 get to visit? ;)

solidyne

OK, so far we have
To be able to see the cockpit itself is more exciting than the scenery outside [...]
and
Actually, nobody I've talked to said it sucks [...] I didn't hear anyone say they didn't have a good time. [...]
Yes, I am cherry picking quotes here, but I am not criticizing these two posters. As anyone else would, I really appreciate their first- and second-hand reports. However, weren't people supposed to be blown away by this attraction?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom