News Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge - Historical Construction/Impressions

Ismael Flores

Yeah, that article said they were built but being held back until crowds were a little more manageable. They were testing them off in Tomorrowland a while back:

where in the world is that little girls parents? you would think they would tell her not to be stepping in front of it or pushing against it.

That is why we never get nice things

Last edited:

Incomudro

Didn't they say that they might have free standing robots in areas of the land? recently in one of the articles they again mentioned that possibility when talking to the Disney PR. I wonder if areas like this under the Falcon with barricaded barriers might be used for something like that as well

Yes, I could imagine them working little shows behind the barricades - with droids as you mentioned.

The_Mesh_Hatter

Smuggler’s Run easily has the best queue in Disneyland. It’s not as long as you would expect, but there’s a ton of things going on. Highlights are the engine repair room, the view of the Millenium Falcon from the second level, the preshow, and the Millenium Falcon interior.

The preshow doesn’t get old. The Hondo AA is incredible—they really nailed his posture. Besides that, the big screen behind him, the two to his sides, and the moving droid next to him are nice diversions.

I’ve gone on Smuggler’s Run half a dozen times now, and I enjoy it more now than the first time. It’s an incredibly well done experience when you consider the entire package, from the facade to the ride itself.

fctiger

The general public will be thrilled that the millennium falcon is built to scale and doesn’t look like a Target cardboard aisle display.

Probably every guest will think “Oh do we walk up the ramp? We don’t - OK where do we go?“ and that will be the end of their ramp concerns.

My girlfriend and kids are just happy they can walk around in a Star Wars land. My son is excited just to take a picture with an X wing fighter (his favorite SW ship). They are both Disney and Star Wars fans, but don't take any of it too seriously. To them, its still just movies and theme parks like I imagine the overwhelming majority of fans feel. The only thing that will disappoint them if the actual rides suck or not. Everything else is just a bonus.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
My girlfriend and kids are just happy they can walk around in a Star Wars land. My son is excited just to take a picture with an X wing fighter (his favorite SW ship). They are both Disney and Star Wars fans, but don't take any of it too seriously. To them, its still just movies and theme parks like I imagine the overwhelming majority of fans feel. The only thing that will disappoint them if the actual rides suck or not. Everything else is just a bonus.
Exactly, I agree, I personally think this is how 99% of the park going public feels.

darthwoody

Smuggler’s Run easily has the best queue in Disneyland. It’s not as long as you would expect, but there’s a ton of things going on. Highlights are the engine repair room, the view of the Millenium Falcon from the second level, the preshow, and the Millenium Falcon interior.

The preshow doesn’t get old. The Hondo AA is incredible—they really nailed his posture. Besides that, the big screen behind him, the two to his sides, and the moving droid next to him are nice diversions.

I’ve gone on Smuggler’s Run half a dozen times now, and I enjoy it more now than the first time. It’s an incredibly well done experience when you consider the entire package, from the facade to the ride itself.
This is great to hear! Thanks for sharing!

George Lucas on a Bench

I think it looks alright with the barriers around MF. I find that railings rarely get in the way of my enjoyment of attractions. A good example is Harry Potter at Universal where there are railings everywhere, which doesn't make any sense, but you don't notice them or care when you're there. Sometimes you need a fence. I still touched the snow speeder at MGM Studios years ago when these vehicles were rather crudely charmingly parked in the bushes. If those railings hadn't been there, however, I may jumped onto these craft. How far we've come.

9001284be86c087a7d06fa4eaf1e4cef.jpg

TP2000

I'm wondering how long the strict role playing and language for CMs will last, particularly for the WDW version...

Also, while I think the food looks good, I wouldn't be surprised if they kept some chicken nuggets in the back for the wifebeater-and-cargo-short tourists who spent 45+ minutes in line at the cafeteria and just want their basic comfort food.

That's what interests me the most; how long the CM's will keep this play-acting stuff up. I'm betting 30 days, with another burst of energy forced by management around D23 Expo. This isn't a short scripted spiel like Haunted Mansion's "drag your bodies away from the walls", this is RenFaire type acting and immersion that lasts for hours and hours until your shift ends.

Anyone who thinks 19 year old CM's working a snack bar are going to do that 8 hours a day are woefully ignorant of how theme parks work and operate. I'm looking at you, WDI executives who have never worked with the general public.

The general public will be thrilled that the millennium falcon is built to scale and doesn’t look like a Target cardboard aisle display.

Probably every guest will think “Oh do we walk up the ramp? We don’t - OK where do we go?“ and that will be the end of their ramp concerns.

Bingo. On the flip side to the CM play acting shtick, there's the fact that most visitors are just going to want to go on the "Millenium Falcon Ride" and want to know where the entrance is after they take a picture of the Falcon sitting there surrounded by strollers and ECV's and large Raider Nation fans (that certainly don't look like the folks we have back home in Boise).

Let's not forget, New Orleans Square is the epitome of Imagineering excellence, from architecture to massive E Ticket attractions to dining and shopping and tiny details at every turn. It's the perfect recreation of a gracious and romantic bygone environment burned into the memory banks of all Americans and many foreigners.

But on any average busy afternoon, all you see of New Orleans Square is this...

New-Orleans-Square-Crowds-Strollers.jpeg

Star Wars Land after the reservation weeks end in June won't be much different. And it won't look anything like the pre-opening publicity shots.

Looks more like Lost in Space.

Agreed. Lost In Space is now owned by Disney, as a property developed by Fox in 1965. I got a Lost In Space vibe from their original remote control Star Wars robots they were testing too. WDI now has ownership of this Intellectual Property.

flbo2-1459186591-770-blog-Robot.jpg

Last edited:

TP2000

I don’t want to just spew a bunch of repeated information, but does anyone have any questions about the Phase I offerings?

Are the shops and restaurants as small and cramped as some folks are saying? Is Oga's Cantina really only big enough for 100 or so customers at a time???

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom