Mirror Disneyland - An Alternate History

DisneyManOne

It's certainly not an easy task lol. What about "Orfando"?

I was thinking more along the lines of "The Main Attraction", but dang it, that sounds awesome! And frankly, for my "reviewer persona", like how Charlie goes by Spazz Master and Dave goes by Doggans, I was thinking of calling myself TV's Matt.

"For your safety, please keep your hands, arms, feet and legs inside the Internet at all times. I'm TV's Matt and I am...the Orfando."

MANEATINGWREATH

Original Poster
@DisneyManOne, that's a great idea! As far as I'm concerned, Florida doesn't have a comedy theme park reviewer, so you definitely need to get on top of that before someone else does. ;) Also, I'm looking forward to seeing where your WDW thread goes! I always like to imagine that our version of parks exist in the same fictional universe lol. Btw, you should check out the Phantom Manor rehab recently posted on YouTube, it might give you some inspiration when you get to Liberty Square/HM, if you haven't already.

I will be out of town this weekend, and will most likely not have a new update past this until Monday or maaaaaybe tomorrow.

In case you haven't done so already, please read through Part One of Folktale Forest featured on Page Two. You will be lost without doing
so. :p Vocal feedback, as always, is encouraged! I know I sound needy, but vocal feedback is the best reward for putting in a ton of work haha. Most of these posts take me upward of a day to make just because I'm so OCD about everything... That, and I tend to get rather busy at random hours.

Today's post has the same usual sources and references. However, the wonderful Passports to Dreams Old & New article, "Marc Davis' Adventure House" was a huge inspiration and reference guide for today's update. This article introduced me entirely to "The Roost," and I suggest you check it out here: http://passport2dreams.blogspot.com/2018/06/marc-davis-adventure-house.html

Sources: Yesterland.com, DisneyChris.com, Disneyland: The First Thirty Years, The Art of Disneyland, Daveland.com, and Wikipedia.org

"Howdy, folks! Welcome to the one and only, original Country Bear Jamboree, featuring a bit of Americana - our musical heritage of the past."

The Country Bear Playhouse stars 22 lifelike northwest animals who sing, strum and pun their way through a thoroughly entertaining fifteen-minute show. The emcee of the show is a bear named Henry, an amusing chap who stands seven-feet tall and wears a live raccoon-hat. His job, like his mindedness, is simple - keep the audience in stitches and introduce the stars of the show. The show is home to a cast of bruins not seen in your typical national park. Nobody hibernates through the rollicking, paw-pounding, unbearable country-western musical antics of the bodacious Five Bear Rugs, the swinging Teddi Barra, Terrence the "Vibrating Wreck from Nashville Tech," and the sorrowful heart-tugging refrains of Big Al.

In 1971, the Country Bear Jamboree opened as one of the original attractions at Walt Disney World in the new Magic Kingdom's Frontierland. The audience response was beyond enthusiastic. The Disneyland version would have twice the capacity of the single-theater Magic Kingdom version. This was possible, of course, through the use of two identical theaters with two identical Audio-Animatronics casts.
In 1972, the Country Bear Playhouse opened in Disneyland as the star attraction of Folktale Forest, the park's then-newest land. The "underground" theater was located beyond a covered bridge and 'cross a lazy stream, nestled in a hillside surrounded by Australian tree ferns and azaleas. It was the first Disneyland attraction cloned from Walt Disney World. The Spring 1972 issue of the Disneyland News, the Liberty Street produced newspaper, introduced the classic attraction perfectly: "One of the most popular attractions at Walt Disney World in Florida is the country-western musical mish-mash known as 'Country Bear Jamboree.' It stars the wildest bunch of foot-stompin', knee-slappin' rip-snorters ever to lumber out of the north woods. And this spring, the 'rip-snorters' are coming to Disneyland, bringing with them, along with their lack of talent, a whole new land to the 'happiest place on earth': Folktale Forest."

A seasonal show, the Country Bear Christmas Special, premiered in 1984, and the summer-themed Country Bear Vacation Hoedown followed in 1986. Later, in 1993, the Country Bear Halloween Hootenanny debuted. In 2012, both the Walt Disney World and Disneyland Country Bear shows closed for refurbishment. The Disneyland version opened with a "new" show entirely, a peculiar, but seamless combination of the original Jamboree and Vacation Hoedown with additional music - the Country Bear Revue: A Tribute to the Music & Lore of the American West. All three shows continue to seasonally operate at Disneyland. Walt Disney World has since discontinued the Vacation Hoedown, Christmas Special, and Halloween Hootenanny, featuring only a trimmed version of the original Jamboree.

Country Bear Playhouse Showtimes

Country Bear Revue: January - August
Halloween Hootenanny: September - October
Christmas Special: November - December

The John Henry Building, "established 1870," holds inside it a number of Folktale Forest's rustic and unique locales. The building itself is named for John Henry, an African-American folk hero. Henry was said to be a "steel-driving man." His raw strength helped forward the expansion of the United States Railroad. According to legend, Henry's "steel-driving" prowess was measured in a race against a steam-powered drill, a race that he won only to die in victory with a hammer in his hand. The railroad trestle at level with the treetops is named for Casey Jones, "The Brave Engineer." Casey Jones was a "true-life" American railroader, killed on April 30, 1900, when his train collided with a stalled freight train. His legend recalls:

"The passengers did not suffer, and there was no panic.

I was jarred a little in my bunk, but when fairly awake the train was stopped and everything was still.

Engineer Jones did a wonderful as well as a heroic piece of work, at the cost of his life.

The marvel and mystery is how Engineer Jones stopped that train. The railroad men themselves wondered at it and of course the uninitiated could not do less. But stop it he did. In a way that showed his complete mastery of his engine, as well as his sublime heroism. I imagine that the Vaughan wreck will be talked about in roundhouses, lunchrooms and cabooses for the next six months, not alone on the Illinois Central, but many other roads in Mississippi and Louisiana."

The legends of both John Henry and Casey Jones are retold in a plaque at the base of the Casey Jones Railroad Trestle. A statue, in John Henry's honor, can be found near the railroad tracks in the wilderness adjacent to Aunt Polly's Kitchen.

The John Henry Building itself holds, among other utilities, Paul Bunyan's Mile Long Bar. The Mile Long Bar uses a mirror illusion to create an endless service counter, the counter fashioned from gargantuan tree-trunks. Max, Buff and Melvin, the stag, buffalo and moose trophy heads of the Country Bear Playhouse respectively, also hang above the interior entrance to the Mile Long Bar. The oddball trio welcome diners with a chorus of "Come On In."

Disney Legend Thurl Ravenscroft voiced the legendary lumberjack in 1958's Paul Bunyan. Ironically, Ravenscroft also provided the voice for Buff, the mounted bison head featured in every iteration of the Country Bear Jamboree and Mile Long Bar since.

Pecos Bill's Wilderness Arcade is the fourth and final arcade in Disneyland, somewhat of a companion piece to the Penny Arcade (Main Street), Colonel Hathi's Safari Club (Adventureland), and Rogues' Gallery (New Orleans Square). Pecos Bill is, or "was," a fabled cowboy of Manifest Destiny, known to the Southwest of Texas, New Mexico, Southern California, and Arizona. Bill was raised by a pack of coyotes. His horse, Widow-Maker, was so named because no other man could ride him and live to tell about it.

The game cabinets, like those featured in the other three arcades in Disneyland, are of the pre-video and mechanical variety. Games include "Hoofin' Henry," a miniature tap dancing bear (Henry) set into motion through the repeated mashing of buttons, and "Johnny Rio," a mechanical gunfighter who challenges passerby to a draw, offering sarcastic insults to anyone unable to match his sharp-shootin' abilities. The former "Ursus H. Bear Wilderness Outpost" was swapped out for Crocodile Mercantile with the addition of Splash Mountain in 1989. The proprietor, an eternally relaxed "Brer Crocodile," sells the wares of a true wilderness expedition: animal statuettes, nature books, fishing poles and hiking gear.

Marc Davis, Yale Gracey and Rolly Crump felt that, in respect of Walt's love for Rolly's "Museum of the Weird" concept, the idea would work as a favorable companion piece to the new Country Bear Jamboree and its surrounding Folktale Forest. Of course, the relocation from the Haunted Mansion and New Orleans Square would call for a complete re-theme of the setting and story for Rolly's original Museum. Instead, the new show would focus on what Marc called the "Adventure House," more formally titled, "The Roost."

Hotel Roost stands three stories high, a "wilderness attempt" at a world-class hotel - a conglomeration of several architectural styles of the Old American West, with certain sections almost out of place with the others - a lot of bizarre twists and turns in design that give the silhouette a look of many towers and oddball additions to the main structure. The old house is covered porch-to-rooftop with whirligigs, flags and weather-vanes.

Hotel Roost, or just "The Roost," belongs to our hosts, the original builders of the hotel, Jasper and Maude Crump. The meek and mild-mannered Jasper has built many of the inventions that abound the interior and exterior of the hotel. Maude is a heavy-set, stern-tempered woman who adores her pet chickens, namely "Tiger," a rooster that roars like...well, a tiger. Both Maude and Jasper have a fascination with the occult and folklore. In fact, Hotel Roost is filled to overflowing with bizarre artifacts and supernatural oddities from the world over. Each room in the hotel has its own "weird" character in terms of the design and function of the hotel. A number of rooms are even named for the Crumps' famous guests: Paul Bunyan, Ichabod Crane, Davy Crockett, Johnny Appleseed, Annie Oakley, and even Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde.

Jasper, Maude and Tiger welcome us inside from a balcony above the Registration Desk. "You might be wondering' 'bout all these here chickens," Maude says. "Well, when we first moved out here, all them wilderness varmints outside wanted to sink their teeth in our hens ... so we just moved 'em inside to be safe and they been here ever since ... I even lost count count of all them cluckers... but anyway, that's why we call this place 'The Hotel Roost'." Of course, Jasper and Maude perished long ago - they appear to us as mere ghosts now. The weird tour continues into a variety of bizarre exhibitions and delightful oddities... But, were I to explain them all now, I'd be ruining the surprise for later. ;)

Song of the South was based on the writings of Joel Chandler Harris, who had worked on a plantation where he learned the tales and folklore of the slaves. The "Uncle Remus" tales, as documented by Harris, are a priceless contribution to Southern folklore, capturing the stories, speech, and culture of African-American people living in the South.

The Imagineers were asked in the mid-80s by then-president of Walt Disney Attractions Richard Nunis to do a water flume ride. "
He wanted something with the show value of Pirates of the Caribbean, but with more focus on the thrill of the ride," show producer Bruce Gordon recalls. The result was, naturally, a flume ride through the story of Walt Disney's animated Song of the South: Splash Mountain. We enter and exit Splash Mountain through a down-home lumber mill of the Old South. In designing Splash Mountain, the Imagineers tried to create a fully dimensional attraction grounded in reality but with the feel of an animated cartoon. "In a cartoon, you paint to blend everything together," Tony Baxter explains. "The backgrounds are painted and then you add painted characters on top of those backgrounds. We've tried to do the same thing here." Splash Mountain was the first project approved by Michael Eisner and Frank Wells when they came to the company in 1984.

This attraction includes 950,000 gallons of water, 3 dips and a 5-story drop. Our bayou adventure follows happy-go-lucky Brer Rabbit on his way to the "Laughing Place." But be warned: Brer Bear and Brer Fox are in hot pursuit of this wayward hare. The music heard throughout Folktale Forest today is adapted from the Academy Award winning musical score of Song of the South. It can also be heard throughout the vicinity of Splash Mountain, where one finds, tucked away under the shady pines and red clay riverbanks, the miniature dwellings of woodland critters. One of the recurring themes for Splash Mountain itself is perhaps the most universally recognizable and popular Disney songs of all time, "Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah."

And now, a recap (so far) of everything featured in Mirror Disneyland:

Main Street, U.S.A.

Attractions & Entertainment
1. The Disneyland Railroad
2. Main Street Vehicles: Fire Engine, Horseless Carriage, Omnibus, Horse-Drawn Streetcar
3. Hook 'n' Ladder Co.
4. Dapper Dans
5. The Walt Disney Story Featuring "Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln"
6. The Disneyland Band
7. Main Street Cinema
8. Penny Arcade & Shooting Gallery
9. Keystone Cops
10. Fantasy on Parade
11. Main Street Electrical Parade
12. Unnamed Firework Spectacular (TBA)

Shopping, Dining & Utilities
1. City Hall
2. Fire Station
3. Lost & Found & Locker Facility
4. The Emporium
5. Wurlitzer Music Hall
6. Great American Egg House
7. Magic Shop
8. Great American Pastimes
9. Market House (Starbucks)
10. Main Street Flower Mart
11. Walgreen's Apothecary
12. Candle Shop
13. Book Store
14. Gibson Girl Ice Cream Parlor & Restaurant
15. Sunkist Citrus House
16. Candy Palace
17. Corner Cafe
18. Hallmark Store
19. Disney Clothiers Ltd.
20. Silhouette Studio
21. Crystal Arts
22. China Closet
23. Nikon Photo Supply
24. Baby Care Center & First Aid
25. Jolly Holiday Bakery Cafe
26. Plaza Inn
27. Little Red Wagon Corn Dog Cart
28. Newsstands

Liberty Street

1. The American Adventure
2. Revolutionary History Museum
3. Fife & Drum Corps
4. The Muppets Present...Great Moments in American History
5. Ichabod's Midnight Ride

1. Blacksmith Shop
2. Paul Revere's Silver Shop
3. Washington Tavern
4. New England Print Shop
5. Samuel Osgood, Postmaster General
6. Ye Olde Christmas Shoppe
7. Colonial Shoppers

Adventureland

1. Indiana Jones Adventure
2. Runaway Ore Cars
3. Walt Disney's Enchanted Tiki Room
4. The Jungle Cruise
5. Swiss Family Treehouse
6. Paradise Springs Swingers
7. Jungle Friends
8. Trinidad and Tobago Showboat Orchestra
9. Colonel Hathi's Safari Club

1. Tiki Juice Bar
2. Tahitian Terrace Restaurant, Featuring Moana: The Heart of Te Fiti
3. Adventureland Bazaar
4. Angry Rhino Tavern
5. Adventureland Veranda

New Orleans Square

1. Pirates of the Caribbean
2. The Haunted Mansion
3. The Disney Gallery
4. The Royal Street Bachelors
5. Rogues' Gallery
6. Jambalaya Jazz Band
7. The Disneyland Railroad

1. Blue Bayou Restaurant
2. Pieces of Eight
3. Club 33
4. One-of-a-Kind Shop
5. Lafitte Jewelers
6. Cristal d'Orleans
7. Mlle. Antoinette's Perfurmerie
8. Caricature Portrait Artist
9. Flower Mart
10. Candy Cart
11. Port d'Orleans
12. Creole Cafe
13. French Market
14. Mint Julep Bar
15. Dr. Facilier's Voodoo Emporium

Folktale Forest

1. Splash Mountain
2. Country Bear Playhouse
3. The Roost
4. Bluegrass Boys
5. Hoedown Happening
6. Davy Crockett Explorer Canoes
7. Mike Fink Keel Boats
8. Rafts to Tom Sawyer's Island
9. Pecos Bill's Wilderness Arcade

1. Aunt Polly's Kitchen
2. Johnny Appleseed's Fruit Cart
3. Little Hiawatha Trading Post
4. Paul Bunyan's Mile Long Bar
5. Crocodile Mercantile

Attachments

• 1556823240819.png
    1556823240819.png
    683.8 KB · Views: 207

MANEATINGWREATH

Original Poster
Feedback is appreciated for both Folktale Forest and Frontierland's first update! I managed to sneak in one more post before I leave for the weekend.

References: Knott's Berry Farm - The Early Years, The Art of Disneyland, Disneyland: The First Thirty Years, DisneyChris.com, Walt Disney Imagineering: A Behind the Dreams Look at Making the Magic Real

Frontierland

"All of us have cause to be proud of our country's history, shaped by the pioneering spirit of our forefathers. It is to those hardy pioneers, men of vision, faith and courage, that we have dedicated Frontierland. Here you can return to frontier America, from the Revolutionary War era to the final taming of the great Southwest. Our adventures are designed to give you the feeling of having lived, even for a short while, during our country's pioneer days."
- Walt Disney

The saga of the expansion westward through the North American continent was not only the stuff of history, but for the audiences of the mid-twentieth century it was as if a great legendary mythology was as recent and real as your grandfather's tintype. American literature, pulp fiction, motion pictures, and early television capitalized on the public's familiarity with (and proprietary feelings for) the stories of "how the West was won," and Walt Disney realized it was a required experience in his new amusement endeavor.

The expansion of the American West was a key element of Walt Disney's childhood. Born in Missouri in 1901, and raised in Chicago and Kansas City, Walt was only a generation away from the pioneering westward movement, Mark Twain's Mississippi, and the dominance of the railroad and riverboat. His pride in being an American was a reflection of his generation, and he was confident that others were as interested in and excited about seeing these representations of the recent past as he was in building them. A construction supervisor recalls Walt's glow of pride as water flowed into the Rivers of America for the first time, and his feeling of desperation as it promptly disappeared into the sandy soil of the former orange grove. After experimenting with plastic and other substances, clay soil was finally trucked in to "waterproof" the leaking riverbed.

t6lDmtNOvZ5jkRrwrRmfQ63P-pbs6Aw77Vy5dM67IlbEbxUksa4TmAOrPJdjYETgpXMiihcUX6CsHHT00peVlqhzWTAoDb050GIPwHAKdnpVN-RjmWAutMmBdKz1Tqr6D5JP62_T

In Frontierland, Walt Disney and his original Imagineers have built a colorful land in celebration of our American forefathers, rich frontier heritage and the romance and allure of Manifest Destiny. Here, the United States during the era when it was still a floundering young nation has been recreated and preserved for all generations to appreciate. In this historical land of both fact and fiction, wooded natural surroundings transition into a rustic frontier town that is still in full operation. There are the flags of the original 13 colonies flying proudly over the log-walled stockade entrance to the land. A small encampment of Plains Indians lurks in the shadow cast by the great fortress, its native inhabitants' docked canoes poised for an adventure that will happen just out of sight...

The stockade gateway to Frontierland is styled after a 19th Century U.S. Calvary fortress, as often found through the American Southwest in the days of our Manifest Destiny. Just inside this log portal flies the American flag with its original field of 13 stars, an homage to our nation's first period of independence. We have been whisked from the modern day and transported back to the dust-swept, horseshoe-scarred streets of a western settlement, circa 1871. The triumphant orchestral theme of a classic Hollywood Western fills the air. Wooden sidewalks lead to the entrance of bustling frontier stores, where shoppers can purchase a complete line of woolen goods, lady's apparel, and souvenirs.

Walt wanted Disneyland visitors to see deep, dimensional vistas that would make the park seem boundless, and draw them in to explore. Here the personal interplay is in the foreground; at mid-ground the ramparts of the Frontierland settlement frame the departing Mark Twain, steaming into the infinite distance. A cigar store Indian Chief stands guard from a shaded porch - weary travelers seek refuge in quaint rocking chairs and a creaking hammock - wanted posters and aged advertisements line the sand-kissed facades and signposts, pulling our adventurous spirit deeper into this romanticized vision of the pioneer age.

Marked by a rooftop laden with antlers, an old seller's trick to attract business, the General Store is our "go-to" for any and all souvenirs of the Old West, from hard candies and pop-guns to coonskin hats and sarsaparilla. The Yensid Hotel and Buzzard Bathhouse (where "baths cost 5 cents"!) are a clever mask for a restroom facility. Westward Ho! Clothing Co. is Disneyland's leading purveyor in western-wear: cowboy hats, boots, spats and jeans. The grim T. Ravenscroft, Undertaker might be a false facade, but the upright coffin out front offers the photo opportunity of an afterlife-time. The Assay Office, as history goes, was an important part in every western mining colony. Here the ore is sampled and assayed, and fortunes were either made or lost on the results. The assayer would determine the amount of gold in a single ounce of the sample brought to him. Frontierland's Assay Office, however, is used nowadays as a trading post for the popular art of pin trading.

p6i6gt810kLdf1yCuT-sQgveW7c2v7nxyzKOSSWiaRdn8w4RDCPv2YinyxSzhjqSZViIYdYyXMLXQorBFMqZAx9aZC1s2KPe7Auygc70spzKEew1CNAcTSbv8uXtS5BTVx2N394s

Walt Disney and his friend Walter Knott, founder of the local Knott's Berry Farm Park, maintained a friendship well into the construction of Disneyland from 1954 - 1955. It was Walter Knott, in fact, who suggested to Walt the idea of including a detail he had introduced to his Ghost Town in 1940: "Peek-Ins." Peek-Ins, as defined by Knott's Berry Farm: The Early Years, are "hand-carved wooden figures posing in various scenes." Mr. Disney was so smitten with the idea that he commissioned Andy Anderson, the man who carved Knott's Peek-Ins, to carve and design three new Peek-Ins for his Frontierland. Thus, Knott's and Disneyland would forever share an iconic attribute of the Old West - visual humor. In the Sheriff's Office, the lazy "Sheriff Jack" sits fast asleep, unaware that the villainous Injun Joe and Potter, the town drunk, are about to make a clean getaway via dynamite. In the Jailhouse, Black-Eyed Pete, notorious outlaw and all-around jerk, is holding a poker tournament with a duo of skeletons, the jail's prior but forgotten occupants. In the only direct lift "borrowed" from Knott's Berry Farm, the Barber Shop has a remarkable gag in which the befuddled barber has a sudden realization - the rough customer in his chair is the same criminal described in a wanted poster on the wall...

T7HEJdD9JPgoSDsEIPCEBXojuo83dYD6KuRWAStQ7J8OFiP3oha0a2yFbuQtR5PiV3VYStSDPzQ3gb4NmgTvhf9r34PW5c9b56bzmY4VMcqnqM04IMFFyYedn9_29FJDYlgXpNB8

Disneyland's longest-running show, the Golden Horseshoe Revue, has been a popular "hitching post" for audiences since Disneyland's Opening Day. With five shows daily, it's little wonder that the Revue continues to hold its place in the Guinness Book of World Records as the longest-running show in history - with more than 43,000 performances as of 1986! Before the main show begins, a "magic lantern" slide show offers a comical diversion as our server delivers hamburgers, french fries, ice-cold Coca Cola and other non-alcoholic beverages. The original Revue starred Betty Taylor as Slue Foot Sue, Wally Boag as a comical traveling salesman (and Pecos Bill), and Donald Novis as the genial "silver-toned" Irish tenor. This family-friendly show also includes, to this day, a number of beautiful Can-Can dancers and occasional Guest Stars. This show was a favorite of Walt's, as he would often watch from one of the private boxes next to the stage.

The Golden Horseshoe Saloon was modeled after the saloon featured in the Warner Bros. film Calamity Jane. Ironically, Harper Goff had designed the "Golden Garter Saloon" for Calamity Jane in the early 1950s. By 1954, a year after Jane was released, construction began on the Golden Horseshoe which would, at Harper Goff and Walt Disney's agreement, be a near-exact recreation of the Golden Garter Saloon featured in Calamity Jane.

The Silver Banjo Barbecue is located right next door to the Golden Horseshoe Saloon and the backside of the Adventureland Veranda. Don DeFore, star of the silver screen, acted as proprietor from 1957 to 1961. In Disneyland, Don DeFore's Silver Banjo Barbecue officially opened in 1957. After Don DeFore's departure, it simply became known as - wait for it - the Silver Banjo Barbecue. Today, the Silver Banjo Barbecue is sponsored by Famous Dave's, a popular barbecue restaurant chain in the United States.

"Welcome to
BIG THUNDER
The Biggest
Little Boom Town
In the West
Pop. 2,015 - 247 - 88 - 38
Elevation 135 FT.
"

In January of 1977, the two-acre area of the former Nature's Wonderland attraction began an incredible metamorphosis. A new panorama of towering rock formations was "appearing" on the western horizon of Frontierland - Big Thunder Mountain Railroad was moving in! From start to finish, Big Thunder was a "mountainous" project; over seven years of planning, two years of construction and $15.8 million were required to bring this thrilling new adventure to reality. As the "mountain" began to grow, plaster and paint were added to create "rocks" and "boulders." Huge cranes were used to hoist the complete upper buttes (weighing up to 28 tons) into position atop the massive steel framework. The newly constructed "old" buildings and varied rock formations were given a timeworn appearance by craftsmen called "agers and grainers." Their artistry, combined with authentic mining artifacts and themed landscaping, recreated the atmosphere of the Old West a century ago.

Lead Designer Tony Baxter was captivated by the scenery of Bryce Canyon National Park in Southern Utah, and based his first designs for what would become Big Thunder Mountain Railroad to resemble the park's "hoodoos," whimsical formations created by erosion of Claron limestone, sandstone, and mudstone into spires, pinnacles, and mazes.

In September, 1979, the gold rush era was reborn in Frontierland, as Big Thunder's mine trains began carrying passengers into the rugged landscapes of the Old West - through foreboding caverns, raging waterfalls, and even an "earthquake" causing an "avalanche"!

"The Miner Details of Big Thunder"
A Story from Walt Disney Imagineering: A Behind the Dreams Look at Making the Magic Real

Big Thunder Mountain Railroad dates back to the wild and woolly boom town days when every prospector west of the Rockies was looking for gold. The following is the tall tale heard tell by one of those prospectors who got it second-hand from old Sam, the last of the Big Thunder Miners:

Yessir, it is 1840, and around these parts, things got prit' near quiet as the hangin' tree on Sunday after the Big Thunder Mine tapped out. One day there ain't none richer, the next, even a ghost wouldn't have much interest in her.

Things got mighty busted up and rusted down inside Big Thunder, so Sam told me while sluggin' from a dusty bottle of Old Imagineer. He was the last prospector inside that mine. Fact is, poor old Sam took a spill and done landed belly up in one of them ore cars. Next thing he knows, the car takes off like a skinny coyote after a plump hen!

Off he went, a headin' fer the mine. Seems like that old ghost mine came to life for Sam. He swears the rusted winch engine was a pumpin' and a wheezin' and just when he was thinkin' he must have bats in his belfry, there was bats! Then he sat up to see what he could see in the dark, and there was pools of rainbow water and waterfalls, and plenty of them rocks the schoolmarm calls "stalactites and stalagmites."

The walls of the canyon kept comin' in closer and closer at old Sam and he yelled until he couldn't yell no more. All of a sudden, the car thunders into a pitch dark tunnel, with Sam holdin' on fer dear life. Comin' back out the other side, he spots a couple a danged skunks foolin' with blastin' powder, like to blow the top off a whole derned mountain! Little ways away, danged if'n there ain't a Billy goat chawin' on a stick of the stuff! But Sam didn't have no time to worry about that, 'cuz next thing he knows he's whippin' down Spiral Butte and headin' right back down into Big Thunder Mine. Sam figgered he was goin' in and never comin' out this time, with all that rumblin' and shakin' and rocks comin' down all around him. He closed his eyes tight but the next thing ya know he was outside and high-ballin' down on the track again, right over the Bear River Trestle Bridge.

That ore car finally squealed to a stop right smack dab in the middle of Big Thunder Town. Sam just sat up, brushed off the dust and said, "I ain't had this much of a whoop and a holler since the Grub Gang hit town. I just barely got out with my hide!"

Sam's amazing ghost story was told and retold over the years, and because of it, no one was ever brave enough to even set foot near the mine - until the day a bold young Imagineer heard the tale and thought it might be fun to take a ride on old Big Thunder himself. Sure enough, he did, and the train ride turned out to be so much fun he decided to officially re-open the mine. Folks soon heard the news about Big Thunder and began to arrive there to take their own wild ride on the legendary runaway train.

More to come for Frontierland!

MANEATINGWREATH

Original Poster
One more post before I take off for the weekend! Looking forward to reading your feedback when I get back.

Sources: DisneyChris.com, Disneyland.com, Yesterland.com, The Art of Disneyland, Disneyland: The First Thirty Years

Color is as important a design element as architecture in communicating an effective sense of place. "Like music, color is one of the great joys in life," Imagineer John Hench wrote. "We know that color is a direct experience: people see color, and they feel color's emotional effects. What really matters for us is that color provides an extraordinary expressive means for communicating ideas."

The Mark Twain Riverboat arrives at the Frontierland Dock. The Mark Twain is an authentic reproduction of the historic vessels that ferried people up and down the mighty Mississippi River. A working steam engine converts the water from the Rivers of America into steam that in turn powers the large paddle that propels the boat. The 28-foot tall riverboat is comprised of 4 pristine decks:

- Pilothouse, also known as the top deck, features the wheelhouse and Captain's Quarters
- Promenade Deck includes a salon and a collection of vintage photos and maps
- Texas (or Sun) Deck is the ideal place to enjoy the outdoors as you float down the river
-
Main Deck includes the boiler and pistons that run the paddle-wheel

Disneyland's proud Mark Twain is one of the few Opening Day attractions still being enjoyed by visitors today. Walt Disney named the Mark Twain after the pen name of Samuel Langhorne Clemens. The famed author of The Adventures of Tom Sawyer and Adventures of Huckleberry Finn - and Walt's personal hero - Clemens was also a riverboat pilot as a young man. Music has always been a pivotal atmospheric element of the sightseeing excursion. The Disneyland Band has been performing live on the bow of the Mark Twain since Opening Day in 1955, and the tradition continues to this day, often marching over from Main Street, U.S.A. for an impromptu concert aboard the steamship.

The 105-foot long, 150-ton sternwheeler was transported to Disneyland and assembled at its own dry dock on the Rivers of America. The ship's hull was constructed at a Long Beach shipyard, while the body was built at the Disney Studio. A full-scale replica of the first ship to carry the American flag around the world, Disneyland's Sailing Ship Columbia was christened July 14, 1958. The ten-gun, three-masted ship was designed from plans and photographs supplied by historical and governmental groups. With the exception of its hull (which was also trucked in from a Long Beach shipyard), the proud windjammer was constructed entirely at Disneyland.

The Columbia's creation was the result of a conversation between Walt and the manager of Frontierland, as they were casually observing the water traffic on the Rivers of America - the Mark Twain, two Mike Fink Keel Boats, two Tom Sawyer Island Rafts, and three then-titled "Indian War Canoes." "Look at that," Walt remarked to his companion. "Now there's a busy river." The other man expected him to complain about the congestion. Instead, Walt continued, "What we need is another BIG boat!" And thus was born the Columbia.

1961 celebrated the second anniversary of "Dixieland at Disneyland," a musical spectacular upon the waters of the Rivers of America. To introduce the talents of over 50 jazz musicians, "Satchmo" Louis Armstrong led the production from a raft especially constructed for the occasion. Disneyland featured its own "house" Dixieland bands at the river show, which included the Firehouse Five Plus Two, the Disneyland Strawhatters and the Young Men from New Orleans. The "Young Men" featured vocalist Monette Moore and a quintet of veteran jazz players; Joe Darensbourg, clarinet - Johnny St. Cyr, banjo - piano man Harvey Brooks - drummer Alton Redd and trumpeter Mike Delay. By contrast to the experienced musicians playing at the park in 1961, a new group of "unknowns" made their professional debut at Carnation Gardens...the Osmonds.

In 1956, the Rainbow Caverns Mine Train wound its way through rocky, desert landscapes filled with cacti and precariously balanced boulders. The climax of the adventure was the multi-hued waterfalls cascading through Rainbow Caverns. Based on Walt's True-Life Adventure films, the Mine Train Through Nature's Wonderland brought a spectacular overhaul to the former Rainbow Caverns Mine Train. The attraction featured a "cast" of more than 200 animated birds, reptiles, beavers, deer, bears, and other animals. After more than a year and a half in development, the popular adventure opened in 1960. It included the spouting "Old Unfaithful" geyser and the spectacular, phosphorescent waterfalls of Rainbow Caverns.

The Mine Train Through Nature's Wonderland closed in January of 1977 for the construction of Big Thunder Mountain Railroad. The time had come to replace the old mine train with a thrilling and different kind of mine train. However, much of the detail and atmosphere from the original Nature's Wonderland was retained in both Frontierland and the Rivers of America. Cascade Peak, a rugged mountain with several large waterfalls, has survived well into today. Many of the Audio-Animatronics animals found new residence along the tracks of Big Thunder Mountain and the Rivers of America.

Tom Sawyer Island opened to the public in June of 1956, and was dedicated by Walt and two youngsters from Hannibal, Mo., representing (who else?) Becky Thatcher and Tom Sawyer. The Rafts to Tom Sawyer Island have carried passengers across the Rivers of America to this boyhood playground straight out of the pages of a Mark Twain novel since that warm day in '56. The island, the only attraction designed entirely by Walt Disney, is a reflection of the world Twain conjured in his stories. Days before construction began, Walt took the plans home and re-imagined the design, creating the inlets, coves and atmosphere the island is known for today. The island is filled with suspension bridges to cross, tree houses and rocks to climb, trails to survey, caves to explore and an authentic replica of a frontier log fort: Fort Wilderness.

Fort Wilderness, like Frontierland's entrance stockade, was constructed from logs hewed by hand and trucked in from nearby mountains. The timber was floated across the Rivers of America and hoisted up to dry land, where it was assembled to create the realistic 19th century army fort. The fort stands perched on a lookout hill with a view of both the island interior and the river bend, which heightened its realism and sense of place.

Harper's Mill, the old mill on the southern tip of Tom Sawyer Island, was built as a functioning grist mill, much like those that were located across North America throughout the 18th and 19th centuries. Injun Joe's Cave is based on a climactic moment from the original Adventures of Tom Sawyer novel in which Injun Joe, the main antagonist, falls to his death within a mysterious cave.

We'll have one more update for Frontierland when I get back!

Attachments

• 1556894985452.png
    1556894985452.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 220
  • 1556895445265.png
    1556895445265.png
    497 KB · Views: 206

Suchomimus

Yessir, it is 1840, and around these parts, things got prit' near quiet as the hangin' tree on Sunday after the Big Thunder Mine tapped out.
I don’t know about the rest of you, but I think it should’ve been 1850 or 1860. I mean, for a mining company and railroad set in 1840, it sure was ahead of its time and did bring a lot of people to what was; and still is to this day; the middle of nowhere.

MANEATINGWREATH

Original Poster
I don’t know about the rest of you, but I think it should’ve been 1850 or 1860. I mean, for a mining company and railroad set in 1840, it sure was ahead of its time and did bring a lot of people to what was; and still is to this day; the middle of nowhere.

That wasn't me who settled on 1840 lol. Earlier in the post, I say Frontierland is set in 1870. The whole "backstory" about old Sam riding on a runaway mine train is from the writings of an actual Imagineer. I don't know which Imagineer, but it is included word for word here as it was in the book Walt Disney Imagineering: A Behind the Dreams Look at Making the Magic Real. The author is, however, unlisted.

Anyhow, folks, feedback as always, is much obliged. I don't want to let this thread die! I do start a new job on Tuesday, but I fully plan on continuing my involvement in creating this alternate reality for the Disneyland Resort.

Today's update takes a big reference from Jason Surrell's The Disney Mountains: Imagineering at Its Peak, and just a little from JimHillMedia. It should be noted that today's update, almost more than any other so far, really plays on the fact that this is an alternate history. Literally NOTHING talked about (other than a portion of Marc Davis-related history and resentment toward Tony Baxter) is real.

The biggest reference and inspiration, however, comes to us here: http://www.omniluxe.net/wyw/wre.htm

I really need to credit the wonderful Widen Your World for even introducing Disney Fandom to Western River Expedition in the first place. I don't think we would obsess over the long-lost attraction nearly as much without that wonderful article linked above. Please read it. You will not regret it.

By early to mid 2000, Team Disney Anaheim (TDA) had determined Frontierland's Mexican restaurant, "Casa Mexicana," the former "Casa de Fritos," to be a redundant and under-performing slice of Disneyland's real estate. Walt's 215 acre Magic Kingdom had seen a spike in attendance with the addition of WESTCOT Center in the previous decade, and a desire for a new attraction to soothe the boom in attendance was prevalent. However, 2000 marked the year Paul Pressler, former head of Disney Consumer Products, was appointed Chairman of Walt Disney Parks and Resorts. Pressler was notorious for being big on cost-cutting and little on thematic ingenuity. Pressler's brand of "creativity" instilled reduced attraction hours, Cast Members having to wash their own uniforms, and merchandise, merchandise, merchandise. Seeing that WESTCOT had an entire area dedicated to Latin American cuisine and culture, Pressler's solution to this in-resort redundancy was a colorful band-aid, one in which remains today, an attraction built to move merchandise: Woody's Roundup.

Based on Toy Story 2, released the previous year in 1999, Woody's Roundup would be - and is today - a literal spin on the old carnival standby: the whip ride, a fast-moving turn-table ride originally designed for Coney Island, New York in 1914. Woody's Roundup, featuring a whimsical western backdrop and multitude of technicolor "toy" ponies, is hosted by Sheriff Woody and Jessie the Yodeling Cowgirl. Andy has set up one of his favorite playsets, a western town and stable. But when his mom told him it was time to leave for Cowboy Camp, Woody and Jessie came to life, wasting no time in letting all the toy ponies out to pasture. After hitching the ponies to carts, the wild duo began welcoming passers-by to take a tune-filled spin and "do-si-do" around Andy's backyard. A toy radio plays such finger-snapping selections as "Woody's Finest Musical Hour" and "You've Got a Friend in Me." The hoof-tappin' hoedown begins as the ponies enjoy a square dance, swinging their carts - with us inside - to the sound of the downhome, country-flavored melodies.

This "cheap" solution was not the success TDA had hoped for and, in 2002, Paul Pressler left his position as Chairman. In 2010, Tom Staggs became Chairman. Staggs was, by all accounts, the heir apparent to then-CEO Bob Iger, but remarkably left Disney in 2016. Regardless, Staggs sought to reverse the cost-cutting measures and poor management instilled on the Parks and Resorts in the previous decade. One such reversal - a complete redesign of the ugly and out-of-place Woody's Roundup attraction.

The colorful, toy-like western town in the backdrop of Woody's Roundup was swapped for a more realistic and aged appearance, similar to the rest of Frontierland. The toy ponies, Woody and Jessie remained, but all reference to the attraction being set in Andy's backyard was removed. The new story, appropriately, would reset the attraction into a romanticized vision of the Old West. The Woody and Jessie found here were merely "stylized" versions of the "real-life" Woody and Jessie. So, despite their appearance being taken directly from the films, it was now assumed that the Woody and Jessie featured in the attraction were "real western icons" in which the toys we know were based on. Woody's Roundup has since become one of Frontierland's most popular attractions.

The "Al's Toy Barn" gift shop, built at the exit of Woody's Roundup in 2000, was notorious for hosting an atrociously out-of-place meet 'n' greet with Buzz Lightyear. However, in 2010, Al's Toy Barn became just the Toy Barn and lost Buzz, strictly featuring a realistic western theme.

When Walt Disney World opened in 1971, guests were astonished at the omission of Pirates of the Caribbean. The Imagineers, in particular Marc Davis, had no interest in repeating their former success, and had planned to outdo Pirates with Western River Expedition, an Audio-Animatronics extravaganza that would out-dazzle the Caribbean boat ride in every respect. The water ride was to be the centerpiece of Thunder Mesa, an expansive show complex that would also house hiking trails and pack-mule rides, and a runaway mine train down its hills and through its valleys. "Western River" would be a wild and woolly musical adventure starring cowboys and Indians, masked banditos, and high-kicking cancan dancers, culminating with a raging forest fire and a final, dizzying plunge down a waterfall and into the Rivers of America. Marc Davis's theme park magnum opus would be complete by 1976, just in time for the resort's fifth anniversary and the nation's Bicentennial.

However, Roy O. Disney, Marc's biggest cheerleader for the project, had passed away in late 1971. Roy's replacement, Card Walker, made it his top priority to bring a smaller version of Pirates to the Florida Park. The Imagineers tried to sell him on what they considered would be the next generation of "E-Ticket" attraction, but the new CEO would hear none of it. Pirates opened in Walt Disney World's Adventureland in 1973. Western River would now seem redundant with the addition of Pirates. Even worse, the Thunder Mesa complex would have cost an astronomical $60 million to build. The energy crisis of the 1970s had wreaked havoc on the travel industry, especially at Walt Disney World. Further complicating matters, concern was expressed over Marc's portrayal of Native Americans, which were decidedly cartoonish and not at all politically correct, even for the far-more-politically-incorrect 1970s. Western River was, in Disney World at least, abandoned - dead in the water.

The December 1974 issue of The Disneyland News listed a number of new attractions that were under consideration for construction in "The Happiest Place on Earth," including Space Mountain, a Disneyland version of the then-still-under-construction Walt Disney World thrill ride, and Mission to Mars, a rehash of the Opening Day "Flight to the Moon" attraction. Marc's Western River Expedition was among the possible additions listed, a suited replacement for the Mine Train Through Nature's Wonderland.

Sadly, Western River remained unbuilt at Disneyland well throughout the remainder of the 1970s and '80s. Marc Davis retired from WED in 1978, and in 1989, Splash Mountain opened, preceded a decade earlier by Big Thunder Mountain Railroad. It seemed as if the spectacular voyage through a comical Wild West would never come into fruition, let alone be featured in a massive show building conjoint to a runaway mine train. The real estate once planned for the attraction became Big Thunder Ranch, an outdoor barbecue restaurant and festival arena. Davis was reportedly furious that his beloved Audio-Animatronics figures from America Sings had been ripped out and thrown into Splash Mountain. To Marc, Tony Baxter was to blame. From the day America Sings closed in April 1988 until the day Davis died in January 2000, Davis resented Baxter.

Test Track, a high-speed "giant slot car" attraction, opened at EPCOT at the Walt Disney World Resort officially on March 17, 1999. The highlight of the Future World attraction was (and still is) a speed trial on a track around the exterior of the show building at a top speed of 64.9 miles per hour, making it the fastest Disney Attraction ever built. The innovative ride system was a huge "win" for the Imagineers. Their spectacular invention would allow a number of attractions to be built that were previously thought impossible, including "Journey to the Center of the Earth," a Jules Verne-inspired thrill ride later built at Tokyo DisneySea in 2001. One Imagineer, however, felt as if now, more than ever, would be the perfect opportunity to make amends with an old friend and mentor. Tony Baxter, wishing to right a wrong, successfully found means to introduce Western River Expedition to Walt's Disneyland.

On July 4, 2005, the same month and year of Disneyland's 50th Anniversary, Frontierland and its Rivers of America fell under the shadow of an immense rock-wall, something like Big Thunder Mountain, but much taller, wider and more dense, a panoramic backdrop for the whole of Frontierland. This is, of course, the soaring silhouette of Thunder Mesa. Guests on that hot day in 2005 and well into today approach Thunder Mesa from the south and enter the maw of an abandoned mine shaft labeled "Thunder Mesa Expedition," the new title of Marc Davis's magnum opus.

Tony Baxter and his team carefully looked into Marc's original drawings and concepts for the legendary attraction. In fact, the attraction, built in celebration of Disneyland's 50th Anniversary, would be as close to Marc's vision as possible, save for a few additions and required edits. First, the boat ride and climactic waterfall were eliminated, deemed redundant with the existing Splash Mountain and Pirates. Instead, the ride would utilize rustic "wagons" in emulation of the Conestoga wagons once used by American settlers. The wagons operate on a ride system borrowed from Test Track - a "giant slot car" of sorts.

Second, the Thunder Mesa complex would be sized down and would only feature Thunder Mesa Expedition and no other attractions.

Third, the negative portrayal of Native Americans was almost entirely eliminated. Marc's "Rain Dance" scene was replaced with a dramatic and supernatural earthquake that occurred while riders traveled through Boot Hill, a western cemetery. In a moment of pure fantasy, skeletal cowpoke would arise from their crypts and give chase, sending the wagons flying off their course and into a roaring forest fire. Masked banditos would see to a climactic finale in which riders would be sent outside careening down the slope of Thunder Mesa and through a series of narrow canyons and buttes, all too similar with Tokyo's Journey to the Center of the Earth. The ride's finale would also see to a fantastic new scene not designed by Marc Davis. Surely, Marc's beloved - but revised - Western River Expedition would go on to become one of Disneyland's most beloved and time-honored attractions.

A4aQIiRKsjHDPKOd0TX6oYeNRcwT3VdAHnOrCws17qogzUvZzy2yNiFS0lEWfjOjVg1fME3zqReHXez577LBO4CqDYUIVxmvPCby6M2nGs36dQjfV7Ml6DGnL17aEIa0qjLSu6Lf

Winding tunnels and abandoned mines of the Thunder Mesa Mining Operation open into a surreal canyon under the veil of twilight. From aboard our Conestoga wagon, we embark on a spellbinding adventure beneath the stars, where clouds and constellations in the shape of western icons float past. Hoot Gibson, a nosy owl, is our narrator as we drift through a cowboy encampment after sunset. Singing cattle, cacti and cowpoke transition into a stagecoach robbery at high noon, where masked banditos and their masked horses (their leader rides a grizzly bear) take aim at their horrified hostages. Our wagon then rolls into the little mining town of Dry Gulch at dusk, where boisterous cowboys, dancing showgirls, disapproving townsfolk, and vile outlaws take the west by storm.

A tour of Boot Hill, the local cemetery, goes awry when our wagon relives the fateful earthquake of 1861, bizarrely awakening the deceased of Dry Gulch from their coffins. The undead subsequently give pursuit. A deadly wildfire engulfs a surrounding pine forest, sending our wagon uphill and into further danger - the banditos have returned, and this time we're their hostages. Amid the crackle of lightning and gargantuan flames, we narrowly escape via Thunder Mesa's immense slope - an 80-foot drop and race through dangerous canyons and caves.

The adventure concludes as we see to the arrest of the banditos at the hands of the Dry Gulch sheriff. The criminals are shipped off via steam engine to parts unknown while all the townsfolk gather in joyous song, a fitting finale to our western expedition.

Big Thunder Ranch, which remained open alongside Thunder Mesa Expedition, closed in early 2016. By 2019, both Folktale Forest and Thunder Mesa would have a lot more traffic in their proximity. Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge had opened just behind Frontierland, and fortunately, Thunder Mesa Expedition remained untouched, though, less could be said for a beautiful redesign of the Rivers of America. The modern classic attraction would go on to welcome even more passengers than it ever had before, and Disneyland remains the only Disney Park today to feature Pirates of the Caribbean, The Haunted Mansion and Thunder Mesa Expedition all under one roof - the Marc Davis Trifecta.

TriSWHhepLe6Pbxxo6hayysczI3z2vr_mVyQgR_vnsb5jJde4G35wt9-B_h8_QCmBNPdPnzZRsdzN1PTkBkPthKfiyBAMypkXXKcTgf5SCA5IWmMvL68pDbjodmlVxSpzAkKEFd1

As the Summer Season dawns on the Disneyland Resort, the Rivers of America are magically transformed into an amazing celebration of imagination, hopes and dreams. The incredible world of Mickey Mouse's imagination comes to life in Fantasmic!, an extravagant nighttime pageant as viewed from the streets of Frontierland and New Orleans Square. Tom Sawyer Island is the thematic stage for this timeless clash of good and evil, which uses state-of-the-art lasers, projection mapping, mist-screens, pyrotechnics, and extraordinary projection mapping to make the story come to life.

In Mickey's dream, we witness the forces of good and evil engaged in conflict, where Pink Elephants, Heffalumps & Woozles, singing Genies, swashbuckling pirates, and Disney Princesses more surprisingly appear on and around the Rivers of America. When Mickey is kidnapped and pulled into the Magic Mirror, the forces of evil are awakened as the Evil Queen of Snow White calls upon some of Disney's most dastardly Villains - Ursula, Oogie Boogie, Dr. Facilier, Chernabog, and Maleficent, the latter who transforms herself into a 45-foot, fire-breathing dragon!

"Welcome to Fantasmic! Tonight, our friend and host, Mickey Mouse, uses his vivid imagination to create magical imagery for all to enjoy. Nothing is more wonderful than the imagination—for in a moment, you can experience a beautiful fantasy or an exciting adventure! But beware… nothing is more powerful than the imagination—for it can also expand your greatest fears into an overwhelming nightmare. Are the powers of Mickey’s incredible imagination strong enough and bright enough to withstand the evil forces that invade Mickey’s dream? You are about to find out. For we now invite you to join Mickey and experience Fantasmic!—a journey beyond your wildest imagination."

Frontierland is done! Thoughts?

DisneyManOne

That wasn't me who settled on 1840 lol. Earlier in the post, I say Frontierland is set in 1870. The whole "backstory" about old Sam riding on a runaway mine train is from the writings of an actual Imagineer. I don't know which Imagineer, but it is included word for word here as it was in the book Walt Disney Imagineering: A Behind the Dreams Look at Making the Magic Real. The author is, however, unlisted.

Anyhow, folks, feedback as always, is much obliged. I don't want to let this thread die! I do start a new job on Tuesday, but I fully plan on continuing my involvement in creating this alternate reality for the Disneyland Resort.

Today's update takes a big reference from Jason Surrell's The Disney Mountains: Imagineering at Its Peak, and just a little from JimHillMedia. It should be noted that today's update, almost more than any other so far, really plays on the fact that this is an alternate history. Literally NOTHING talked about (other than a portion of Marc Davis-related history and resentment toward Tony Baxter) is real.

The biggest reference and inspiration, however, comes to us here: http://www.omniluxe.net/wyw/wre.htm

I really need to credit the wonderful Widen Your World for even introducing Disney Fandom to Western River Expedition in the first place. I don't think we would obsess over the long-lost attraction nearly as much without that wonderful article linked above. Please read it. You will not regret it.

By early to mid 2000, Team Disney Anaheim (TDA) had determined Frontierland's Mexican restaurant, "Casa Mexicana," the former "Casa de Fritos," to be a redundant and under-performing slice of Disneyland's real estate. Walt's 215 acre Magic Kingdom had seen a spike in attendance with the addition of WESTCOT Center in the previous decade, and a desire for a new attraction to soothe the boom in attendance was prevalent. However, 2000 marked the year Paul Pressler, former head of Disney Consumer Products, was appointed Chairman of Walt Disney Parks and Resorts. Pressler was notorious for being big on cost-cutting and little on thematic ingenuity. Pressler's brand of "creativity" instilled reduced attraction hours, Cast Members having to wash their own uniforms, and merchandise, merchandise, merchandise. Seeing that WESTCOT had an entire area dedicated to Latin American cuisine and culture, Pressler's solution to this in-resort redundancy was a colorful band-aid, one in which remains today, an attraction built to move merchandise: Woody's Roundup.

Based on Toy Story 2, released the previous year in 1999, Woody's Roundup would be - and is today - a literal spin on the old carnival standby: the whip ride, a fast-moving turn-table ride originally designed for Coney Island, New York in 1914. Woody's Roundup, featuring a whimsical western backdrop and multitude of technicolor "toy" ponies, is hosted by Sheriff Woody and Jessie the Yodeling Cowgirl. Andy has set up one of his favorite playsets, a western town and stable. But when his mom told him it was time to leave for Cowboy Camp, Woody and Jessie came to life, wasting no time in letting all the toy ponies out to pasture. After hitching the ponies to carts, the wild duo began welcoming passers-by to take a tune-filled spin and "do-si-do" around Andy's backyard. A toy radio plays such finger-snapping selections as "Woody's Finest Musical Hour" and "You've Got a Friend in Me." The hoof-tappin' hoedown begins as the ponies enjoy a square dance, swinging their carts - with us inside - to the sound of the downhome, country-flavored melodies.

This "cheap" solution was not the success TDA had hoped for and, in 2002, Paul Pressler left his position as Chairman. In 2010, Tom Staggs became Chairman. Staggs was, by all accounts, the heir apparent to then-CEO Bob Iger, but remarkably left Disney in 2016. Regardless, Staggs sought to reverse the cost-cutting measures and poor management instilled on the Parks and Resorts in the previous decade. One such reversal - a complete redesign of the ugly and out-of-place Woody's Roundup attraction.

The colorful, toy-like western town in the backdrop of Woody's Roundup was swapped for a more realistic and aged appearance, similar to the rest of Frontierland. The toy ponies, Woody and Jessie remained, but all reference to the attraction being set in Andy's backyard was removed. The new story, appropriately, would reset the attraction into a romanticized vision of the Old West. The Woody and Jessie found here were merely "stylized" versions of the "real-life" Woody and Jessie. So, despite their appearance being taken directly from the films, it was now assumed that the Woody and Jessie featured in the attraction were "real western icons" in which the toys we know were based on. Woody's Roundup has since become one of Frontierland's most popular attractions.

The "Al's Toy Barn" gift shop, built at the exit of Woody's Roundup in 2000, was notorious for hosting an atrociously out-of-place meet 'n' greet with Buzz Lightyear. However, in 2010, Al's Toy Barn became just the Toy Barn and lost Buzz, strictly featuring a realistic western theme.

When Walt Disney World opened in 1971, guests were astonished at the omission of Pirates of the Caribbean. The Imagineers, in particular Marc Davis, had no interest in repeating their former success, and had planned to outdo Pirates with Western River Expedition, an Audio-Animatronics extravaganza that would out-dazzle the Caribbean boat ride in every respect. The water ride was to be the centerpiece of Thunder Mesa, an expansive show complex that would also house hiking trails and pack-mule rides, and a runaway mine train down its hills and through its valleys. "Western River" would be a wild and woolly musical adventure starring cowboys and Indians, masked banditos, and high-kicking cancan dancers, culminating with a raging forest fire and a final, dizzying plunge down a waterfall and into the Rivers of America. Marc Davis's theme park magnum opus would be complete by 1976, just in time for the resort's fifth anniversary and the nation's Bicentennial.

However, Roy O. Disney, Marc's biggest cheerleader for the project, had passed away in late 1971. Roy's replacement, Card Walker, made it his top priority to bring a smaller version of Pirates to the Florida Park. The Imagineers tried to sell him on what they considered would be the next generation of "E-Ticket" attraction, but the new CEO would hear none of it. Pirates opened in Walt Disney World's Adventureland in 1973. Western River would now seem redundant with the addition of Pirates. Even worse, the Thunder Mesa complex would have cost an astronomical $60 million to build. The energy crisis of the 1970s had wreaked havoc on the travel industry, especially at Walt Disney World. Further complicating matters, concern was expressed over Marc's portrayal of Native Americans, which were decidedly cartoonish and not at all politically correct, even for the far-more-politically-incorrect 1970s. Western River was, in Disney World at least, abandoned - dead in the water.

The December 1974 issue of The Disneyland News listed a number of new attractions that were under consideration for construction in "The Happiest Place on Earth," including Space Mountain, a Disneyland version of the then-still-under-construction Walt Disney World thrill ride, and Mission to Mars, a rehash of the Opening Day "Flight to the Moon" attraction. Marc's Western River Expedition was among the possible additions listed, a suited replacement for the Mine Train Through Nature's Wonderland.

Sadly, Western River remained unbuilt at Disneyland well throughout the remainder of the 1970s and '80s. Marc Davis retired from WED in 1978, and in 1989, Splash Mountain opened, preceded a decade earlier by Big Thunder Mountain Railroad. It seemed as if the spectacular voyage through a comical Wild West would never come into fruition, let alone be featured in a massive show building conjoint to a runaway mine train. The real estate once planned for the attraction became Big Thunder Ranch, an outdoor barbecue restaurant and festival arena. Davis was reportedly furious that his beloved Audio-Animatronics figures from America Sings had been ripped out and thrown into Splash Mountain. To Marc, Tony Baxter was to blame. From the day America Sings closed in April 1988 until the day Davis died in January 2000, Davis resented Baxter.

Test Track, a high-speed "giant slot car" attraction, opened at EPCOT at the Walt Disney World Resort officially on March 17, 1999. The highlight of the Future World attraction was (and still is) a speed trial on a track around the exterior of the show building at a top speed of 64.9 miles per hour, making it the fastest Disney Attraction ever built. The innovative ride system was a huge "win" for the Imagineers. Their spectacular invention would allow a number of attractions to be built that were previously thought impossible, including "Journey to the Center of the Earth," a Jules Verne-inspired thrill ride later built at Tokyo DisneySea in 2001. One Imagineer, however, felt as if now, more than ever, would be the perfect opportunity to make amends with an old friend and mentor. Tony Baxter, wishing to right a wrong, successfully found means to introduce Western River Expedition to Walt's Disneyland.

On July 4, 2005, the same month and year of Disneyland's 50th Anniversary, Frontierland and its Rivers of America fell under the shadow of an immense rock-wall, something like Big Thunder Mountain, but much taller, wider and more dense, a panoramic backdrop for the whole of Frontierland. This is, of course, the soaring silhouette of Thunder Mesa. Guests on that hot day in 2005 and well into today approach Thunder Mesa from the south and enter the maw of an abandoned mine shaft labeled "Thunder Mesa Expedition," the new title of Marc Davis's magnum opus.

Tony Baxter and his team carefully looked into Marc's original drawings and concepts for the legendary attraction. In fact, the attraction, built in celebration of Disneyland's 50th Anniversary, would be as close to Marc's vision as possible, save for a few additions and required edits. First, the boat ride and climactic waterfall were eliminated, deemed redundant with the existing Splash Mountain and Pirates. Instead, the ride would utilize rustic "wagons" in emulation of the Conestoga wagons once used by American settlers. The wagons operate on a ride system borrowed from Test Track - a "giant slot car" of sorts.

Second, the Thunder Mesa complex would be sized down and would only feature Thunder Mesa Expedition and no other attractions.

Third, the negative portrayal of Native Americans was almost entirely eliminated. Marc's "Rain Dance" scene was replaced with a dramatic and supernatural earthquake that occurred while riders traveled through Boot Hill, a western cemetery. In a moment of pure fantasy, skeletal cowpoke would arise from their crypts and give chase, sending the wagons flying off their course and into a roaring forest fire. Masked banditos would see to a climactic finale in which riders would be sent outside careening down the slope of Thunder Mesa and through a series of narrow canyons and buttes, all too similar with Tokyo's Journey to the Center of the Earth. The ride's finale would also see to a fantastic new scene not designed by Marc Davis. Surely, Marc's beloved - but revised - Western River Expedition would go on to become one of Disneyland's most beloved and time-honored attractions.

A4aQIiRKsjHDPKOd0TX6oYeNRcwT3VdAHnOrCws17qogzUvZzy2yNiFS0lEWfjOjVg1fME3zqReHXez577LBO4CqDYUIVxmvPCby6M2nGs36dQjfV7Ml6DGnL17aEIa0qjLSu6Lf

Winding tunnels and abandoned mines of the Thunder Mesa Mining Operation open into a surreal canyon under the veil of twilight. From aboard our Conestoga wagon, we embark on a spellbinding adventure beneath the stars, where clouds and constellations in the shape of western icons float past. Hoot Gibson, a nosy owl, is our narrator as we drift through a cowboy encampment after sunset. Singing cattle, cacti and cowpoke transition into a stagecoach robbery at high noon, where masked banditos and their masked horses (their leader rides a grizzly bear) take aim at their horrified hostages. Our wagon then rolls into the little mining town of Dry Gulch at dusk, where boisterous cowboys, dancing showgirls, disapproving townsfolk, and vile outlaws take the west by storm.

A tour of Boot Hill, the local cemetery, goes awry when our wagon relives the fateful earthquake of 1861, bizarrely awakening the deceased of Dry Gulch from their coffins. The undead subsequently give pursuit. A deadly wildfire engulfs a surrounding pine forest, sending our wagon uphill and into further danger - the banditos have returned, and this time we're their hostages. Amid the crackle of lightning and gargantuan flames, we narrowly escape via Thunder Mesa's immense slope - an 80-foot drop and race through dangerous canyons and caves.

The adventure concludes as we see to the arrest of the banditos at the hands of the Dry Gulch sheriff. The criminals are shipped off via steam engine to parts unknown while all the townsfolk gather in joyous song, a fitting finale to our western expedition.

Big Thunder Ranch, which remained open alongside Thunder Mesa Expedition, closed in early 2016. By 2019, both Folktale Forest and Thunder Mesa would have a lot more traffic in their proximity. Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge had opened just behind Frontierland, and fortunately, Thunder Mesa Expedition remained untouched, though, less could be said for a beautiful redesign of the Rivers of America. The modern classic attraction would go on to welcome even more passengers than it ever had before, and Disneyland remains the only Disney Park today to feature Pirates of the Caribbean, The Haunted Mansion and Thunder Mesa Expedition all under one roof - the Marc Davis Trifecta.

TriSWHhepLe6Pbxxo6hayysczI3z2vr_mVyQgR_vnsb5jJde4G35wt9-B_h8_QCmBNPdPnzZRsdzN1PTkBkPthKfiyBAMypkXXKcTgf5SCA5IWmMvL68pDbjodmlVxSpzAkKEFd1

As the Summer Season dawns on the Disneyland Resort, the Rivers of America are magically transformed into an amazing celebration of imagination, hopes and dreams. The incredible world of Mickey Mouse's imagination comes to life in Fantasmic!, an extravagant nighttime pageant as viewed from the streets of Frontierland and New Orleans Square. Tom Sawyer Island is the thematic stage for this timeless clash of good and evil, which uses state-of-the-art lasers, projection mapping, mist-screens, pyrotechnics, and extraordinary projection mapping to make the story come to life.

In Mickey's dream, we witness the forces of good and evil engaged in conflict, where Pink Elephants, Heffalumps & Woozles, singing Genies, swashbuckling pirates, and Disney Princesses more surprisingly appear on and around the Rivers of America. When Mickey is kidnapped and pulled into the Magic Mirror, the forces of evil are awakened as the Evil Queen of Snow White calls upon some of Disney's most dastardly Villains - Ursula, Oogie Boogie, Dr. Facilier, Chernabog, and Maleficent, the latter who transforms herself into a 45-foot, fire-breathing dragon!

"Welcome to Fantasmic! Tonight, our friend and host, Mickey Mouse, uses his vivid imagination to create magical imagery for all to enjoy. Nothing is more wonderful than the imagination—for in a moment, you can experience a beautiful fantasy or an exciting adventure! But beware… nothing is more powerful than the imagination—for it can also expand your greatest fears into an overwhelming nightmare. Are the powers of Mickey’s incredible imagination strong enough and bright enough to withstand the evil forces that invade Mickey’s dream? You are about to find out. For we now invite you to join Mickey and experience Fantasmic!—a journey beyond your wildest imagination."

Frontierland is done! Thoughts?

I will admit: Woody's Roundup does sound like a cool addition. But the way you described the Pressler-era version made me cringe, especially the part about the out-of-place Buzz meet-and-greet. But then again, that's a testament to your skill as a writer, because that perfectly encapsulates the Pressler age in a nutshell, lol.

Where would Thunder Mesa Expedition go? Along the edge of the Rivers of America, where Columbia Gorge is in the modern Disneyland? Also, I'm intrigued by a Test Track-esque version of WRE. My ideas for the Magic Kingdom's Frontierland will involve WRE as well, but based more along the original Pirates-based design, with a hint of Maelstrom thrown in for good measure.

MANEATINGWREATH

Original Poster
I will admit: Woody's Roundup does sound like a cool addition. But the way you described the Pressler-era version made me cringe, especially the part about the out-of-place Buzz meet-and-greet. But then again, that's a testament to your skill as a writer, because that perfectly encapsulates the Pressler age in a nutshell, lol.

Where would Thunder Mesa Expedition go? Along the edge of the Rivers of America, where Columbia Gorge is in the modern Disneyland? Also, I'm intrigued by a Test Track-esque version of WRE. My ideas for the Magic Kingdom's Frontierland will involve WRE as well, but based more along the original Pirates-based design, with a hint of Maelstrom thrown in for good measure.

Thanks! I really did my best to capture the horror of that era haha. It's hard to believe that we've come so far since then. The amazing projects that are happening in the parks today would seem like a pipe dream back then. Being a Mansion fan, it was mortifying reading the JimHill article about how Pressler and Cynthia Harris let the Disneyland Haunted Mansion's roof rot and decay because it was supposed to be a haunted house. -_-

In terms of location, the biggest thing to remember is that this version of Disneyland is 215 acres in size. In comparison, the real Disneyland is only 100 acres (it was 85 before Galaxy's Edge). While the layout is practically the same as the real Disneyland's, there is enough room here that having the Thunder Mesa show building near Galaxy's Edge would be no big deal. The Columbia Gorge still exists in this reality. Thunder Mesa Expedition would go right where the "Fantasyland" entrance to Galaxy's Edge is in real life:

So, in this reality, there would only be two entrances in and out of Galaxy's Edge, one in Frontierland and one in Folktale Forest. Just remember, since there is more acreage in this Disneyland, there is enough feasible space for all this. It's still packed in, but there's room.

Suchomimus

I never said it was you. After all, you rarely, if ever, make such minor imperfections. :p (I still hate these new emoji designs)

MANEATINGWREATH

Original Poster
I'm surprised, considering this is an alternate history, that Paul Pressler even became head of anything Disney-related in your universe.

I had to go for some realism. ;)

Frontierland

1. Golden Horseshoe Revue
2. Big Thunder Mountain Railroad
3. Mark Twain Riverboat
4. Sailing Ship Columbia
5. Tom Sawyer Island
(Rafts to Tom Sawyer Island are in Folktale Forest)
6. Woody's Roundup
7. Thunder Mesa Expedition
8. Fantasmic!

Shopping & Dining
1. General Store
2. Westward Ho! Clothing Co.
3. Assay Office
4. Golden Horseshoe Saloon
5. Silver Banjo Barbecue
6. Toy Barn
7. Ship to Shore Marketplace
(Ship to Shore was NOT mentioned in the overview. It's an outdoor turkey leg, corn, fruit, chips, and chimichanga location.)

ANYWAY, I should note that, for now, I'll be skipping over an overview for Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge. It just doesn't make sense for me to focus energy on a land that has yet to open to the public. I'm going to wait till the land opens later this month to even remotely consider beginning work on revisions or additions. Just know that, even in this Disneyland, Galaxy's Edge is located north of Frontierland. Even with Disneyland being a larger size in this reality, a reroute of the Rivers of America was required, complete with the addition of the beautiful Columbia Gorge and relocated Indian Village.

As always, feedback is appreciated! I really hope I'm not doing all this work for nothing. o_O The usual references and sources are all the same: The Art of Disneyland, Disneyland: The First Thirty Years and DisneyChris.com. Ironically, Wikipedia and the official websites of several Disney Parks have really helped with this update. Please read all previous updates before, if you have not already. This might be the last update until Wednesday or Thursday! I start my new job tomorrow night!

Fantasyland

"The Age of Chivalry, Magic, and Make-Believe Reborn"

Fantasyland was always portrayed as Walt's favorite, although much like children, no doubt he'd be hard pressed to pick a favored land in his Park.

Fantasyland, however, was the realm of his already-famous and most-beloved canon and characters, a land that Snow White, Peter Pan, Mr. Toad, and Alice (of Wonderland) might call home. Mickey, Minnie, Pluto, Goofy, and Donald were also perfectly at home in the regal fairy tale and comfy storybook settings - created for this new entertainment experience by many of the same men and women who had brought them to the movie screen.

"When we were planning Fantasyland," Walt Disney said, "we recalled the lyrics of the song 'When You Wish Upon a Star.' The words of the melody, from our picture 'Pinocchio,' inspired us to create this land. What youngster, listening to parents or grandparents read aloud, has not dreamed of flying with Peter Pan over moonlit London, or tumbling into Alice's nonsensical Wonderland? In Fantasyland, these classic stories of everyone''s youth have become realities for youngsters - of all ages - to participate in."

Y4kEs8CCLQysjbfVZVwsinE9vJF6D-bzDCFKABTbsuxPbNZSYzLV9yqAoJBRpmWMGXlr7s-J4ZP30cWitfawpFxSYi7kw374qJmN2TzDBNRkJVxwCWlSwyGb2OKXlD39-_T2DpQD

The magical symbol of the Magic Kingdom is the majestic and enchanted Sleeping Beauty Castle, as we previously explored on our tour of the Central Plaza. Sleeping Beauty Castle represents all that makes Disneyland the "Happiest Place on Earth." The beautifully decorated 77-foot tall medieval castle serves as the gateway to a world of dreams and hopes. The drawbridge has only been lowered twice - once at the opening of the Park in 1955 and again in 1983 at the re-dedication of Fantasyland.

Eyvind Earle, the influential production designer of the 1959 animated feature
Sleeping Beauty personally created several tableaux of the film's pivotal scenes for use in the original Sleeping Beauty Castle Walkthrough that opened in April of 1957. The attraction was closed on October 7, 2001. On July 17, 2008, it was announced that the attraction would reopen in the style of the original Earle dioramas, enhanced with technology previously unavailable in 1957. The renovation reopened officially on November 27, 2008. The iconic attraction features three-dimensional displays, sound and stunning special effects, and a final climactic scene where Maleficent transforms into a fire-breathing dragon.

When Disneyland opened in 1955, Fantasyland had just six attractions. For reasons of budget, schedule, and creative intent, the initial decor for the Fantasyland courtyard was that of a simple medieval tournament, with brightly colored (sheet metal) awnings, tents and banners. In 1982 - 1983, the Fantasyland area was remodeled inside and out, and new exteriors reflecting the locale and era of the attractions were built. On May 25, 1983, after a year and a half of reconstruction, the Land that best reflects the spirit of the classic Disney animated films reopened, with well over sixteen attractions in an all-new, Alpine-themed setting. Cobblestone pathways and colorful Alpine foliage reminiscent of the Black Forest put the finishing touches to Fantasyland's new Bavarian Village. Each attraction today sports a detailed, three-dimensional facade, while technological advances and stunning special effects combine for truly memorable fantasy adventures. Fantasyland will always be a magical land of make-believe, where wishes really come true.

When the New Fantasyland premiered in 1983, a medieval court-inspired troupe known as the Make-Believe Brass began daily performances in the Castle Courtyard, and have remained a staple well into today. The Make-Believe Brass hosts the royal Sword in the Stone Ceremony alongside the comical sorcerer Merlin. The final resting place of the legendary Excalibur, a literal "Sword in the Stone," is located in the heart of the courtyard. An inscription reads “WHOSO PULLETH OUT THIS SWORD OF THIS STONE AND ANVIL IS RIGHTWISE RULER BORN OF ENGLAND.” King Arthur, off on holiday in Bermuda, has sought the clumsy counsel of Merlin in his search for a substitute King or Queen of England. Of course, the end result is often unexpected - or hilarious.

One of the original Opening Day attractions at Disneyland Park, the King Arthur Carrousel is nestled in the idyllic heart of Fantasyland, a nod to the inspiration for Walt’s Disneyland, the Griffith Park Merry-Go-Round. Its prancing white steeds hearken back to the great charge of the legendary Knights of the Round Table and the heroic King Arthur of Camelot, whose famous Sword in the Stone is conspicuously positioned in the carousel foreground. The historic attraction is surrounded by sculpted greenery, vibrant flowers and a mythological soundtrack from its antique fairground organ, all in which set the stage for a cavalry of 68 ornately carved, hand-painted horses and chariots. From the surrounding statues of a “Dance of the Hours” (Fantasia) to the nine painted vignettes of Sleeping Beauty, every detail of the carousel is imbued with the spirit of Walt Disney's living masterpiece: Disneyland.

The King Arthur Carrousel and most of its horses date back more than 90 years. This regal masterpiece was handcrafted by the Dentzel Carousel Company in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania and eventually found its way to Sunnyside Beach Park in Toronto, Canada in 1922. When Walt Disney first purchased the revolving menagerie from its location, it featured horses, giraffes, deer and other animals. He wanted everyone to ride a galloping horse like King Arthur, so additional antique horses were located and incorporated into the renovation.

The immediate courtyard area behind the castle, pictured above, contains some of the only Fantasyland architecture that has remained untouched since Opening Day. Here we find a number of charming gift boutiques that specialize in what else, but Disney merchandise. One of these shops, the beloved "Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique," offers, with the wave of a wand, head-to-toe pampering for budding bluebloods suitable for even the most castle-worthy celebration, a royal transformation for everyday kids to turn into elegant princesses and shining knights. The Castle Heraldry Shoppe is Fantasyland's most "historic" establishment, a chance for us to research our family name and crest, and subsequently order an item with the crest on it, or simply purchase medieval merchandise - re-creation daggers, shields, swords and armor.

E-BoWYwIrIabB_ZZlL_E5ptPgEKRRRqB0tJ9v2zt7a0OFYIpaQLIfZHTaoGVSDTs7v--mn9VQnJyFCmTkllFT3MyHDyIq0_P1WyPYjeOwVNjlZPkoDosPm2nao5EDEZQhnyvxxTZ

The stories of the Castle Courtyard are all of films (or shorts) released in the time of Walt himself. The nostalgia and detail of "Old" Fantasyland is reborn in this venerable celebration of Classic Disney, the heart of a "Fairytale Renaissance." Four classic dark rides, two original, each of the six in representation of a different childhood emotion. In fact...

Strong villains have always been important in Disney storytelling. Walt Disney often said that a strong villain was the key reason a hero was interesting. "Until a character becomes personality, it cannot be believed. And without personality, a story cannot ring true to an audience." The Evil Queen peers down through the curtains of her ominous Gothic Tower, the foreboding, spine-tingling entrance to Snow White's Scary Adventures. The eerie manor still holds inside the frightening dungeon and laboratory of the Evil Queen.

A breathtaking, three-dimensional mural and diorama of the Seven Dwarfs' Cottage and the "Enchanted Forest" prelude the beauty, grandeur and magic of Walt Disney's Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs. We next board a mine car, named for one of the Seven Dwarfs, for a harrowing adventure through the film's darkest and scariest moments. Fortunately, Snow White does receive her "Happily Ever After," though the same could not be said for the fate of the Wicked Witch... Snow White's Scary Adventures represents fear, a childhood staple.

One of Disneyland's great resources was the ability of artists to bring to life the films they had actually worked on. Ken Anderson came to the Disney Studio in 1934 and had worked on several Silly Symphonies before contributing to Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, and later, the original "Snow White and Her Adventures" attraction. Imagineer Claude Coats and Tony Baxter redesigned and renamed the Opening Day Attraction at Walt Disney World in 1971, and later at Disneyland in 1983. The current iteration, Snow White's Scary Adventures, is a tasteful blend of fantasy and horror, most similar with the Tokyo Disneyland version of the attraction.

zcUNee0D413o-tlDbCZdCmiu6ytbL3-_rqPOP6u89_FIGA8RgoaEX9TOpkA1CHUmIQfT-aNa1ul-jRAE4vNMq7pVBH_q6D0uNkfY3Y9AFwmutfh3gR4KiPWf0rO_kIxQhHtbeLYE

The stately English home of the Banks Family at No. 17, Cherry Tree Lane is intertwined with a soaring "Big Ben" and the mismatched (but iconic) "rooftops" of London. Tony Baxter's Jolly Holiday with Mary Poppins was introduced in 1983, a suited replacement for the former Fantasyland Theater. The unique dark ride brings us aboard a miniature carousel of sorts, one in which transports us inside one of Bert's chalk paintings and into the colorful, albeit peculiar world he has unintentionally designed. Our horse magically pulls off from the rest of the carousel and has us caught in the midst a wild horse race alongside barnyard animals, dancing penguins, and, of course, the Pearly Band with their beloved "Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious." An unexpected thunderstorm brings us to the rooftops of London ("Step in Time") and finally into a flock of soaring kites on a brilliant, windy day ("Let's Go Fly a Kite"). Jolly Holiday with Mary Poppins was the first Disney attraction based on Mary Poppins, and certainly wouldn't be the last. Jolly Holiday with Mary Poppins represents the music of our childhood.

A Swiss Chalet, across from the former Fantasyland Theater and later Mary Poppins, was built for the Fantasyland terminus of a ride through the middle of a hollow Matterhorn and into the adjacent Tomorrowland. The old Skyway Buckets gave passengers a bird's eye view of the Park, soaring high above Fantasyland, through the cavity of the Matterhorn and over Tomorrowland. The Skyway closed on November 9, 1994. The reason for the closure was attributed to metal fatigue. There the old chalet sat empty for many years, until one day, in 2003, something new opened inside... Although Winnie the Pooh had been a popular character in literature since the publication of Winnie the Pooh in 1926, and a Disney stalwart since the debut of Winnie the Pooh and the Honey Tree in 1966, he didn't make his debut in his own Disneyland attraction until the opening of Pooh's Hunny Hunt in 2003.

The incredible and unique attraction, the world's "first trackless dark ride," had previously premiered in Tokyo Disneyland on September 4, 2000. The tremendous success led WED to push Park Management to rehash the old Skyway Station and transform it into something spectacular, a West Coast version of the Japanese Pooh's Hunny Hunt. Remarkably, Team Disney Anaheim agreed, and with a budget of over $130 million, Pooh's Hunny Hunt opened in the northwest "hills" of Fantasyland in the summer of 2003.

Based on the stories of A.A. Milne and the timeless music written by the Sherman Bros., Pooh's Hunny Hunt has riders swept up in a gust of wind on a Blustery Day, bouncing alongside a boisterous Tigger, and caught in the midst of a colorful nightmare swarmed with mischievous Heffalumps and Woozles. Pooh's Hunny Hunt uses a state-of-the-art trackless ride system developed by WED. A custom local positioning system (LPS) is used to manage an array of sensors as opposed to a dedicated wire or track embedded in the floor. The patented control system works by directional data being relayed from a master control computer directly to the vehicles which are fashioned to resemble honey pots. This data is then used to move an individual honey pot car through a complicated matrix embedded within the actual floor tiles. Every few seconds, the master computer generates a random path and "steers" the honey pot in real-time, so as the cars roll through the ride the vehicles are, in fact, being told where to go. Because this system is in real-time, they can maneuver accordingly in just fractions of a second. This also allows for spontaneous yet synchronized "honey pot choreography" with groups of honey pots (as many as 8 in a single show scene) appearing to "dance" with the others, often timed with beats in the music. Due to limitless variations possible, each journey through the attraction is unique.

Pooh's Hunny Hunt represents imagination.

Pooh Corner sits at the exit to Pooh's Hunny Hunt, a fitting merchandise cornucopia for all things Winnie the Pooh...and Tigger, too.

It's bedtime in the Darling children's nursery, but Wendy, Michael and John have some unexpected visitors! Timbered Tudor and a soaring clock tower mark the entrance to Peter Pan's Flight. Weather vanes reference the story of Peter Pan - a crocodile, and an airborne golden sailing ship. A Peter Pan statue, meant to evoke the famous Kensington Gardens statue, stands outside the entrance. This Opening Day attraction is based on Walt Disney's 1953 animated classic, Peter Pan, which in turn was based on J.M. Barrie's play and book of the same name about a 12-year-old boy who refuses to grow up.

Our adventure begins in London, where we learn to fly with the Darling children, courtesy of their bedtime heroes - Peter Pan and Tinker Bell. Next, we head off into the night sky as Peter leads the way to Pixie Hollow, the Lost Boys' hideout, Mermaid Lagoon and Skull Rock, where he finally comes dagger to cutlass with Captain Hook. It's a swordfight to the finish as the two face-off in a dastardly duel that leaves Hook cooked in the jaws of a grinning Tick-Tock Croc! Peter Pan's Flight, of course, represents the beauty of childhood.

There were three original dark rides featured in Fantasyland. Walt Disney specifically selected these in order to represent the three base emotions of childhood fantasy, a tradition that continued later with the addition of Mary Poppins, Alice and Pooh. Mr. Toad's Wild Ride represents fun. Guests embark on Mr. Toad's Wild Ride from Toad Hall, the country estate of J. Thaddeus Toad, Esq.

To travel the road with Mr. Toad is a wild ride few could ever forget. The attraction takes us on a wild speed race through the English countryside, wreaking havoc on the town along the way. Approaching the grand manor known as Toad Hall, the English influence is unmistakable. A 19th Century-inspired weather-vane in the shape of a motorcar tops one of the gables, and just above the entrance stands a stone statue of a dapper Mr. Toad himself. The antique motorcars featured in the attraction are named for one of the various characters from The Wind in the Willows segment of the 1949 Disney feature film that inspired the attraction, The Adventures of Ichabod and Mr. Toad.

Our wild ride has us skid past teetering stacks of books and tumbling through a fireplace, before hurtling into a formal dining room and out a wall-sized window. We race alongside a riverbank and barnyard, just narrowly missing a flock of sheep. While avoiding a platoon of policemen, a disheveled gypsy camp, we crash through scaffolding, splatter a stack of pies, smash crates and ignite a fiery explosion - and come bumper-to-bumper with a runaway train! Shall we escape trial for our trail of destruction? Or is something even more devilish in store?

More to come!

Last edited:

DisneyManOne

I had to go for some realism. ;)

Frontierland

1. Golden Horseshoe Revue
2. Big Thunder Mountain Railroad
3. Mark Twain Riverboat
4. Sailing Ship Columbia
5. Tom Sawyer Island
(Rafts to Tom Sawyer Island are in Folktale Forest)
6. Woody's Roundup
7. Thunder Mesa Expedition
8. Fantasmic!

Shopping & Dining
1. General Store
2. Westward Ho! Clothing Co.
3. Assay Office
4. Golden Horseshoe Saloon
5. Silver Banjo Barbecue
6. Toy Barn
7. Ship to Shore Marketplace
(Ship to Shore was NOT mentioned in the overview. It's an outdoor turkey leg, corn, fruit, chips, and chimichanga location.)

ANYWAY, I should note that, for now, I'll be skipping over an overview for Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge. It just doesn't make sense for me to focus energy on a land that has yet to open to the public. I'm going to wait till the land opens later this month to even remotely consider beginning work on revisions or additions. Just know that, even in this Disneyland, Galaxy's Edge is located north of Frontierland. Even with Disneyland being a larger size in this reality, a reroute of the Rivers of America was required, complete with the addition of the beautiful Columbia Gorge and relocated Indian Village.

As always, feedback is appreciated! I really hope I'm not doing all this work for nothing. o_O The usual references and sources are all the same: The Art of Disneyland, Disneyland: The First Thirty Years and DisneyChris.com. Ironically, Wikipedia and the official websites of several Disney Parks have really helped with this update. Please read all previous updates before, if you have not already. This might be the last update until Wednesday or Thursday! I start my new job tomorrow night!

Fantasyland

View attachment 369801

"The Age of Chivalry, Magic, and Make-Believe Reborn"

Fantasyland was always portrayed as Walt's favorite, although much like children, no doubt he'd be hard pressed to pick a favored land in his Park.

Fantasyland, however, was the realm of his already-famous and most-beloved canon and characters, a land that Snow White, Peter Pan, Mr. Toad, and Alice (of Wonderland) might call home. Mickey, Minnie, Pluto, Goofy, and Donald were also perfectly at home in the regal fairy tale and comfy storybook settings - created for this new entertainment experience by many of the same men and women who had brought them to the movie screen.

"When we were planning Fantasyland," Walt Disney said, "we recalled the lyrics of the song 'When You Wish Upon a Star.' The words of the melody, from our picture 'Pinocchio,' inspired us to create this land. What youngster, listening to parents or grandparents read aloud, has not dreamed of flying with Peter Pan over moonlit London, or tumbling into Alice's nonsensical Wonderland? In Fantasyland, these classic stories of everyone''s youth have become realities for youngsters - of all ages - to participate in."

Y4kEs8CCLQysjbfVZVwsinE9vJF6D-bzDCFKABTbsuxPbNZSYzLV9yqAoJBRpmWMGXlr7s-J4ZP30cWitfawpFxSYi7kw374qJmN2TzDBNRkJVxwCWlSwyGb2OKXlD39-_T2DpQD

The magical symbol of the Magic Kingdom is the majestic and enchanted Sleeping Beauty Castle, as we previously explored on our tour of the Central Plaza. Sleeping Beauty Castle represents all that makes Disneyland the "Happiest Place on Earth." The beautifully decorated 77-foot tall medieval castle serves as the gateway to a world of dreams and hopes. The drawbridge has only been lowered twice - once at the opening of the Park in 1955 and again in 1983 at the re-dedication of Fantasyland.

Eyvind Earle, the influential production designer of the 1959 animated feature
Sleeping Beauty personally created several tableaux of the film's pivotal scenes for use in the original Sleeping Beauty Castle Walkthrough that opened in April of 1957. The attraction was closed on October 7, 2001. On July 17, 2008, it was announced that the attraction would reopen in the style of the original Earle dioramas, enhanced with technology previously unavailable in 1957. The renovation reopened officially on November 27, 2008. The iconic attraction features three-dimensional displays, sound and stunning special effects, and a final climactic scene where Maleficent transforms into a fire-breathing dragon.

When Disneyland opened in 1955, Fantasyland had just six attractions. For reasons of budget, schedule, and creative intent, the initial decor for the Fantasyland courtyard was that of a simple medieval tournament, with brightly colored (sheet metal) awnings, tents and banners. In 1982 - 1983, the Fantasyland area was remodeled inside and out, and new exteriors reflecting the locale and era of the attractions were built. On May 25, 1983, after a year and a half of reconstruction, the Land that best reflects the spirit of the classic Disney animated films reopened, with well over sixteen attractions in an all-new, Alpine-themed setting. Cobblestone pathways and colorful Alpine foliage reminiscent of the Black Forest put the finishing touches to Fantasyland's new Bavarian Village. Each attraction today sports a detailed, three-dimensional facade, while technological advances and stunning special effects combine for truly memorable fantasy adventures. Fantasyland will always be a magical land of make-believe, where wishes really come true.

When the New Fantasyland premiered in 1983, a medieval court-inspired troupe known as the Make-Believe Brass began daily performances in the Castle Courtyard, and have remained a staple well into today. The Make-Believe Brass hosts the royal Sword in the Stone Ceremony alongside the comical sorcerer Merlin. The final resting place of the legendary Excalibur, a literal "Sword in the Stone," is located in the heart of the courtyard. An inscription reads “WHOSO PULLETH OUT THIS SWORD OF THIS STONE AND ANVIL IS RIGHTWISE RULER BORN OF ENGLAND.” King Arthur, off on holiday in Bermuda, has sought the clumsy counsel of Merlin in his search for a substitute King or Queen of England. Of course, the end result is often unexpected - or hilarious.

One of the original Opening Day attractions at Disneyland Park, the King Arthur Carrousel is nestled in the idyllic heart of Fantasyland, a nod to the inspiration for Walt’s Disneyland, the Griffith Park Merry-Go-Round. Its prancing white steeds hearken back to the great charge of the legendary Knights of the Round Table and the heroic King Arthur of Camelot, whose famous Sword in the Stone is conspicuously positioned in the carousel foreground. The historic attraction is surrounded by sculpted greenery, vibrant flowers and a mythological soundtrack from its antique fairground organ, all in which set the stage for a cavalry of 68 ornately carved, hand-painted horses and chariots. From the surrounding statues of a “Dance of the Hours” (Fantasia) to the nine painted vignettes of Sleeping Beauty, every detail of the carousel is imbued with the spirit of Walt Disney's living masterpiece: Disneyland.

The King Arthur Carrousel and most of its horses date back more than 90 years. This regal masterpiece was handcrafted by the Dentzel Carousel Company in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania and eventually found its way to Sunnyside Beach Park in Toronto, Canada in 1922. When Walt Disney first purchased the revolving menagerie from its location, it featured horses, giraffes, deer and other animals. He wanted everyone to ride a galloping horse like King Arthur, so additional antique horses were located and incorporated into the renovation.

The immediate courtyard area behind the castle, pictured above, contains some of the only Fantasyland architecture that has remained untouched since Opening Day. Here we find a number of charming gift boutiques that specialize in what else, but Disney merchandise. One of these shops, the beloved "Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique," offers, with the wave of a wand, head-to-toe pampering for budding bluebloods suitable for even the most castle-worthy celebration, a royal transformation for everyday kids to turn into elegant princesses and shining knights. The Castle Heraldry Shoppe is Fantasyland's most "historic" establishment, a chance for us to research our family name and crest, and subsequently order an item with the crest on it, or simply purchase medieval merchandise - re-creation daggers, shields, swords and armor.

E-BoWYwIrIabB_ZZlL_E5ptPgEKRRRqB0tJ9v2zt7a0OFYIpaQLIfZHTaoGVSDTs7v--mn9VQnJyFCmTkllFT3MyHDyIq0_P1WyPYjeOwVNjlZPkoDosPm2nao5EDEZQhnyvxxTZ

The stories of the Castle Courtyard are all of films (or shorts) released in the time of Walt himself. The nostalgia and detail of "Old" Fantasyland is reborn in this venerable celebration of Classic Disney, the heart of a "Fairytale Renaissance." Four classic dark rides, two original, each of the six in representation of a different childhood emotion. In fact...

Strong villains have always been important in Disney storytelling. Walt Disney often said that a strong villain was the key reason a hero was interesting. "Until a character becomes personality, it cannot be believed. And without personality, a story cannot ring true to an audience." The Evil Queen peers down through the curtains of her ominous Gothic Tower, the foreboding, spine-tingling entrance to Snow White's Scary Adventures. The eerie manor still holds inside the frightening dungeon and laboratory of the Evil Queen.

A breathtaking, three-dimensional mural and diorama of the Seven Dwarfs' Cottage and the "Enchanted Forest" prelude the beauty, grandeur and magic of Walt Disney's Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs. We next board a mine car, named for one of the Seven Dwarfs, for a harrowing adventure through the film's darkest and scariest moments. Fortunately, Snow White does receive her "Happily Ever After," though the same could not be said for the fate of the Wicked Witch... Snow White's Scary Adventures represents fear, a childhood staple.

One of Disneyland's great resources was the ability of artists to bring to life the films they had actually worked on. Ken Anderson came to the Disney Studio in 1934 and had worked on several Silly Symphonies before contributing to Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, and later, the original "Snow White and Her Adventures" attraction. Imagineer Claude Coats and Tony Baxter redesigned and renamed the Opening Day Attraction at Walt Disney World in 1971, and later at Disneyland in 1983. The current iteration, Snow White's Scary Adventures, is a tasteful blend of fantasy and horror, most similar with the Tokyo Disneyland version of the attraction.

zcUNee0D413o-tlDbCZdCmiu6ytbL3-_rqPOP6u89_FIGA8RgoaEX9TOpkA1CHUmIQfT-aNa1ul-jRAE4vNMq7pVBH_q6D0uNkfY3Y9AFwmutfh3gR4KiPWf0rO_kIxQhHtbeLYE

The stately English home of the Banks Family at No. 17, Cherry Tree Lane is intertwined with a soaring "Big Ben" and the mismatched (but iconic) "rooftops" of London. Tony Baxter's Jolly Holiday with Mary Poppins was introduced in 1983, a suited replacement for the former Fantasyland Theater. The unique dark ride brings us aboard a miniature carousel of sorts, one in which transports us inside one of Bert's chalk paintings and into the colorful, albeit peculiar world he has unintentionally designed. Our horse magically pulls off from the rest of the carousel and has us caught in the midst a wild horse race alongside barnyard animals, dancing penguins, and, of course, the Pearly Band with their beloved "Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious." An unexpected thunderstorm brings us to the rooftops of London ("Step in Time") and finally into a flock of soaring kites on a brilliant, windy day ("Let's Go Fly a Kite"). Jolly Holiday with Mary Poppins was the first Disney attraction based on Mary Poppins, and certainly wouldn't be the last. Jolly Holiday with Mary Poppins represents the music of our childhood.

A Swiss Chalet, across from the former Fantasyland Theater and later Mary Poppins, was built for the Fantasyland terminus of a ride through the middle of a hollow Matterhorn and into the adjacent Tomorrowland. The old Skyway Buckets gave passengers a bird's eye view of the Park, soaring high above Fantasyland, through the cavity of the Matterhorn and over Tomorrowland. The Skyway closed on November 9, 1994. The reason for the closure was attributed to metal fatigue. There the old chalet sat empty for many years, until one day, in 2003, something new opened inside... Although Winnie the Pooh had been a popular character in literature since the publication of Winnie the Pooh in 1926, and a Disney stalwart since the debut of Winnie the Pooh and the Honey Tree in 1966, he didn't make his debut in his own Disneyland attraction until the opening of Pooh's Hunny Hunt in 2003.

The incredible and unique attraction, the world's "first trackless dark ride," had previously premiered in Tokyo Disneyland on September 4, 2000. The tremendous success led WED to push Park Management to rehash the old Skyway Station and transform it into something spectacular, a West Coast version of the Japanese Pooh's Hunny Hunt. Remarkably, Team Disney Anaheim agreed, and with a budget of over $130 million, Pooh's Hunny Hunt opened in the northwest "hills" of Fantasyland in the summer of 2003.

Based on the stories of A.A. Milne and the timeless music written by the Sherman Bros., Pooh's Hunny Hunt has riders swept up in a gust of wind on a Blustery Day, bouncing alongside a boisterous Tigger, and caught in the midst of a colorful nightmare swarmed with mischievous Heffalumps and Woozles. Pooh's Hunny Hunt uses a state-of-the-art trackless ride system developed by WED. A custom local positioning system (LPS) is used to manage an array of sensors as opposed to a dedicated wire or track embedded in the floor. The patented control system works by directional data being relayed from a master control computer directly to the vehicles which are fashioned to resemble honey pots. This data is then used to move an individual honey pot car through a complicated matrix embedded within the actual floor tiles. Every few seconds, the master computer generates a random path and "steers" the honey pot in real-time, so as the cars roll through the ride the vehicles are, in fact, being told where to go. Because this system is in real-time, they can maneuver accordingly in just fractions of a second. This also allows for spontaneous yet synchronized "honey pot choreography" with groups of honey pots (as many as 8 in a single show scene) appearing to "dance" with the others, often timed with beats in the music. Due to limitless variations possible, each journey through the attraction is unique.

Pooh Corner sits at the exit to Pooh's Hunny Hunt, a fitting merchandise cornucopia for all things Winnie the Pooh...and Tigger, too.

It's bedtime in the Darling children's nursery, but Wendy, Michael and John have some unexpected visitors! Timbered Tudor and a soaring clock tower mark the entrance to Peter Pan's Flight. Weather vanes reference the story of Peter Pan - a crocodile, and an airborne golden sailing ship. A Peter Pan statue, meant to evoke the famous Kensington Gardens statue, stands outside the entrance. This Opening Day attraction is based on Walt Disney's 1953 animated classic, Peter Pan, which in turn was based on J.M. Barrie's play and book of the same name about a 12-year-old boy who refuses to grow up.

Our adventure begins in London, where we learn to fly with the Darling children, courtesy of their bedtime heroes - Peter Pan and Tinker Bell. Next, we head off into the night sky as Peter leads the way to Pixie Hollow, the Lost Boys' hideout, Mermaid Lagoon and Skull Rock, where he finally comes dagger to cutlass with Captain Hook. It's a swordfight to the finish as the two face-off in a dastardly duel that leaves Hook cooked in the jaws of a grinning Tick-Tock Croc! Peter Pan's Flight, of course, represents the beauty of childhood.

There were three original dark rides featured in Fantasyland. Walt Disney specifically selected these in order to represent the three base emotions of childhood fantasy, a tradition that continued later with the addition of Mary Poppins, Alice and Pooh. Mr. Toad's Wild Ride represents fun. Guests embark on Mr. Toad's Wild Ride from Toad Hall, the country estate of J. Thaddeus Toad, Esq.

To travel the road with Mr. Toad is a wild ride few could ever forget. The attraction takes us on a wild speed race through the English countryside, wreaking havoc on the town along the way. Approaching the grand manor known as Toad Hall, the English influence is unmistakable. A 19th Century-inspired weather-vane in the shape of a motorcar tops one of the gables, and just above the entrance stands a stone statue of a dapper Mr. Toad himself. The antique motorcars featured in the attraction are named for one of the various characters from The Wind in the Willows segment of the 1949 Disney feature film that inspired the attraction, The Adventures of Ichabod and Mr. Toad.

Our wild ride has us skid past teetering stacks of books and tumbling through a fireplace, before hurtling into a formal dining room and out a wall-sized window. We race alongside a riverbank and barnyard, just narrowly missing a flock of sheep. While avoiding a platoon of policemen, a disheveled gypsy camp, we crash through scaffolding, splatter a stack of pies, smash crates and ignite a fiery explosion - and come bumper-to-bumper with a runaway train! Shall we escape trial for our trail of destruction? Or is something even more devilish in store?

More to come!

Very excellent! Fantasyland is my favorite land in Disneyland, so I'm glad to finally see it here. Also, as someone who plans to make Pooh's Hunny Hunt part of his ideal Magic Kingdom Fantasyland, I think it's really interesting that we both want to bring the ride to the American parks. Even in modern Disneyland, you could just get rid of the Fantasyland Theater and ba-da-bing, you got the space for it. Come to think of it, what will become of the Fantasyland Theater in Mirror Disneyland?

I may have missed something while I was reading, but I found that Pooh's Hunny Hunt didn't represent an aspect of childhood. Snow White represented fear, Mary Poppins represented music, Peter Pan represented beauty and Mr. Toad represented fun. What does Pooh represent?

Also, will Pinocchio find a home in Mirror Fantasyland, despite Daring Journey not being a thing here?

MANEATINGWREATH

Original Poster
Very excellent! Fantasyland is my favorite land in Disneyland, so I'm glad to finally see it here. Also, as someone who plans to make Pooh's Hunny Hunt part of his ideal Magic Kingdom Fantasyland, I think it's really interesting that we both want to bring the ride to the American parks. Even in modern Disneyland, you could just get rid of the Fantasyland Theater and ba-da-bing, you got the space for it. Come to think of it, what will become of the Fantasyland Theater in Mirror Disneyland?

I may have missed something while I was reading, but I found that Pooh's Hunny Hunt didn't represent an aspect of childhood. Snow White represented fear, Mary Poppins represented music, Peter Pan represented beauty and Mr. Toad represented fun. What does Pooh represent?

Also, will Pinocchio find a home in Mirror Fantasyland, despite Daring Journey not being a thing here?

Oh, shoot. I forgot to mention that Pooh represents imagination. D'oh. I'll fix that.

Pinocchio will have a home in the real estate that belongs to the Fantasyland Theater in real-life! One of the unbuilt concepts of Tony Baxter (not Discovery Bay) will be located here, and Pinocchio is apart of that extension to Fantasyland. As for what it is, I'll leave that for Wednesday or Thursday's update!

MANEATINGWREATH

Original Poster
Really? I thought that title would go to Alice in Wonderland. Will that ride still be a part of Mirror Disneyland? If so, what will that represent if imagination is taken by Winnie the Pooh?

Alice in Wonderland is definitely still here. It will represent adventure. "Alice's Adventures in Wonderland." It could be argued that adventure could have been given to Pooh ("The Many Adventures of"), but I felt as if a childhood's imaginary friends, i.e. Christopher Robin with Pooh and friends, is more deserving of imagination.

MANEATINGWREATH

Original Poster
Guess who had a little bit of extra time before going to work?

All of my references are shared with Fantasyland's first update, seen on Page 3. Please read before you do with this.

D5xVPcnLUUyfBjwNElpROGVuCxJ98-HXnW5LgLZhUqXksJOzFePfJNdfFAm9WB4RTokljhc1sdQY1klVD5z-7nuV8feFf9BVL2E7QV6QVxF6WTRDHdhffI2EeQ6ZSkaEhORUgG5M

The Chicken of the Sea Pirate Ship and Restaurant was, and still is, a Disneyland landmark found north of the Castle Courtyard, although the name changed to the current Captain Hook’s Galley when Chicken of the Sea dropped its sponsorship in 1969. The boat sits docked within a sandy lagoon amidst steep coral cliffs, tropical settings and an imposing Skull Rock, a replication of scenes from the 1953 animated classic, Peter Pan. The ship was rebuilt entirely in late 1982, reopening with New Fantasyland as an ominous galleon made from concrete and fiberglass rather than timber and wood. Skull Rock became a part of Disneyland in 1960, and has remained ever since. Pizza is, oddly enough, the main attraction of the modern Hook’s Galley restaurant.

Canal Boats of the World opened with the rest of the Park on July 17, 1955. The cruise offered little more than a view of earthen embankments and undeveloped landscaping. The addition of miniature scenes from Disney animated movies transformed the attraction to Storybook Land Canal Boats, which opened on June 16, 1956. One of the most delicate, picturesque realms in Disneyland - Storybook Land - was introduced in Fantasyland as one of Walt’s personal favorites.

The Spring 1958 issue of The Disneyland News described the finished product in vivid detail: “A kingdom in miniature, Storybook Land presents life-like re-creations of villages, castles, houses and other buildings from the pages of fabled stories—scene after scene of painstakingly detailed settings. If you’ve ever wanted to actually see, from close up, Geppetto’s Village high in the snow covered Alps; Kensington Gardens from the story of Peter Pan; the straw, stick and brick houses of the Three Little Pigs; and the Crazy Quilt Country from ‘Wynken, Blinken and Nod,’ they’re all there—along with many more—in Storybook Land. Gaily painted, picturesque European canal boats take visitors through the mouth of Monstro the Whale into this wonderful world.”

a2_9InlNro0ny7nNRFNTU2fgezgUku3m3ejU0WY_AM8Gka3SFfNHxhl9V3er69c6fhmW5gqja-kK29eH59IBy1brOlZMXfNseVooKrqzZHYD5f2TUySkY1Wg1pKBD4Dj4WisOaC2

Model makers at the Disney Studio labored six months turning artists’ visualizations of Pinocchio’s Village, the straw-stick-brick homes of the Three Little Pigs, and other fabled favorites into detailed buildings. On a scale of one inch to a foot, they fashioned lead hinges so six-inch doors would actually open for electricians to change light bulbs. Tiny toys were carved for the window of Geppetto’s shop, and “stained glass” and leaded windows were handcrafted and installed.

When the miniature dwellings were complete, landscapers brought the village to life by the ingenious use of plants and flowers. After selecting plants whose leaf size was but little more than a quarter inch, they further restricted growth by planting them in containers. A three-foot tall Japanese Boxwood, with gnarled trunk, was shaped and pruned to represent the oak tree where Alice entered the Rabbit Hole. A 100-year old grapevine was uprooted and turned upside down to appear like the “terribly tortured old snag” in front of Ratty’s home from Wind in the Willows. Finally, a “magical” growth retardant was added to all the little trees and shrubs to further restrict growth to no more than one inch per year.

_GnIs0eEQ3IFqeTF4LWpL45oldGGVUI_DA4C2IK8j0uV3_KyeHj56q9HsDDLzqiRGNp1QItiXjTEVLepUgpQLGZUVBiU-3RoRoZsNsEcVc3gRigjfFPfst5sIXgRmXAvneW4t_zD

The charming Alice Wonderland is an attraction that won’t be found anywhere else. This unique dark ride was one of two new attractions that opened at Disneyland on June 14, 1958, the other being the Sailing Ship Columbia in Frontierland. The mischievous White Rabbit who led Alice astray made amends by presenting the fairy-tale blonde with the key to Fantasyland’s then-newest adventure in a colorful Opening Ceremony. In 1984, a year after the rest of New Fantasyland opened, the painted cut-outs of the original attraction were replaced with three-dimensional characters and set pieces. New lighting and state-of-the-art special effects were later added in 2014.

“It doesn’t matter if you believe me or not. But common sense doesn’t really work here. You’re mad, I’m mad. We’re all MAD here.”

Alice in Wonderland is our curious voyage down, down, down the Rabbit Hole and into the nonsensical world of Alice’s Wonderland. Here we discover an upside down world of wonder, mystery and danger. Tulgey Wood and the Queen of Hearts’ Castle await amidst a peculiar labyrinth of magical creatures, conflicting signage, glowering flowers, and a grinning Cheshire Cat. A chatty Doorknob welcomes us: “Looking for the White Rabbit? Well, see for yourself!” Alice in Wonderland represents the adventure of childhood.

A Caucus Race leads astray and into a crop of beautiful, singing flowers - standing six to eight feet in height! Hungry dandelions and a snarling tiger lily lie in wait… The Caterpillar enjoys his favorite pipe from atop a technicolor toadstool. “W - H - O - are you?” Conflicting directions, bizarre birds and a sinister Cheshire Cat welcome us to the labyrinth of Tulgey Wood. Alice, having grown to an extraordinary size, bursts through the walls of a disgruntled White Rabbit’s cottage. Card Soldiers frantically “paint the roses red” in fear of their evil mistress: The Queen of Hearts. After we defeat the Queen in a game of croquet, we are forced to escape our undesired fate - pursued by the Queen of Hearts and her Card Soldiers - through an outdoor “slide” of spiraling high and low hedges and hills. One wrong turn aboard our sour Caterpillar-shaped car might lead right back to the Castle; one right turn might lead to our safe and sound return to Fantasyland.

Finally, we come upon Alice, the Mad Hatter, the March Hare and the Dormouse whilst they enjoy a spot of tea for a very merry unbirthday party. Whistling teapots, spinning cakes and precariously stacked cups set the scene, followed by a very terrified White Rabbit and a VERY explosive unbirthday cake.

M45li-r6oDimkuERuJ3i2iU0wbErCHMDJ5lYDNN8zsVlm3Pwp6iGsKhL6mdd3yjuq3F8_52rChPN7vllnH-4HQ3J_OoyA7_OSZJsFrK1iBUs_DQp7mmSnmuR7eRcT9ntbg_ZvRmx

Fantasyland’s iconic spinning teacup ride has been dizzying Disneyland guests ever since Opening Day. Inspired by the Mad Hatter’s tea party from Walt Disney’s animated classic Alice in Wonderland, this timeless attraction features the same resplendent colors and objects of disproportionate size. Madcap music fills the air as we rotate beneath a canopy of colored lanterns. A wheel in the center of the teacup lets us control the direction and speed of our spin.

The wildly popular Mad Tea Party was originally located where the King Arthur Carrousel sits today. The carousel was originally squeezed into the tight real estate between the Mad Tea Party and Sleeping Beauty Castle for some odd, unbeknownst reason. As part of New Fantasyland, Disneyland built an all-new Mad Tea Party near the entrance to the Alice in Wonderland attraction.

zVxGuFfUDlJAvwCzhiUzsBe4v4Whzu80ziv6gjPc3_lnkm_SQ5c9upwYjjvL7YuY7jwdkdV0XHX66PUB3Shr1k0WFcyxkEy41nEjxqOiV5fRhmKaAkzwSHDybh99-sqeYcMrZbQx

In the early months of 1959, a new form slowly emerged on the Orange County horizon. Residents could hardly believe that a mountain was actually “growing” in full view of the Santa Ana Freeway: Disneyland’s own “Bit O’ Switzerland.”

“Bit O’ Switzerland” sounds a little Irish, but what the heck. Matterhorn Mountain grew from two origins: Walt Disney’s trip to Switzerland to visit the set of Third Man on the Mountain, and his desire to eliminate the central support pylon of the Skyway attraction, which looked too industrial for his taste. Soon, Walt was making plans for a speeding bobsled run that picked up where Third Man of the Mountain left off, a chance for the audience to experience firsthand the icy slopes of a Disneyland Matterhorn.

The original site of the Matterhorn was occupied by a large pile of dirt, known as Holiday Hill. Numerous photographs of the Swiss peak were carefully studied to create the most accurate replica possible. Scale models led to blueprints, which eventually unfolded into lath, plaster, rebar and cement. The final result is a perfect 1/100th scale re-creation of the famous Swiss peak. Matterhorn Bobsleds was the first roller-coaster-style attraction at Disneyland Park- and the very first tubular steel coaster in the world. The iconic attraction is also one-of-a-kind - no other Disney Park can claim a Matterhorn mountain.

Matterhorn Bobsleds opened on June 14, 1959, along with the Submarine Voyage and the Disneyland-Alweg Monorail System, with a live, ninety-minute television broadcast. Vice President Richard Nixon was on hand to dedicate the attraction with Walt by his side. Other distinguished guests included the Swiss Consul General and members of The Sierra Club whom Walt recruited to climb his mountain for the TV cameras. Matterhorn Bobsleds was an instant hit and remains one of the Park’s most popular attractions. Walt had always intended the show to be just as compelling within the dark tunnels and icy caverns as it was on the snow-covered slopes and ridges outside. But, the Matterhorn’s “second phase” was postponed when Walt and his Imagineers were sidetracked by the New York World’s Fair.

etHs5xcfj-IsPL3vkKPvOk3c7N5b90BgwcuhK6MPHrHDdijAPePaE9yXXTx61jaPnbieO2QG1Lqt1klulldNMafetePkCei36UNF59fBNdcECznTKb8-FdHm3ZmvZmKYDjjXfhAk

The original intent was for the mythical Abominable Snowman to haunt the Matterhorn on opening day, but there just wasn’t enough time or money to accomplish everything Walt wanted to do by then. Imagineer Harriet Burns had gone a long way toward finishing a full-size, fiberglass-and-fur cloth mock-up of the abominable snowman by the attraction’s busy first year or two of operation.

In 1978, a total of fifty new tandem bobsleds were built, some from scratch and others from existing vehicles. The lift tunnel was completely enclosed to “keep in the cold," with a decidedly effective special effects snowstorm, and later, in 2015, an “uphill encounter” with a digital abominable snowman, adding to the chilly atmosphere. Then, as the bobsleds reached the top of the lift hill and began to pick up speed, a pair of angry red eyes glowed brightly in the darkness, our first encounter with a “mysterious, lurking snow monster,” as Imagineers referred to the show’s new star. The sleds then passed through an eerie fog bank and ice caverns filled with glowing crystals and wrecked “mountain climbing” equipment, before beginning a high-speed trek down and around the mountain.

The highlight of the new show was of course the Abominable Snowman, “Harold.” A total of three snowmen were built for the attraction, one for the “A” side, a second for the “B” side, and a third that was visible from both ride tracks. The original snowmen were swapped for more realistic, "lunging" Audio-Animatronics snowmen in 2015 as part of Disneyland's 60th Anniversary.

QQ7dvS7rhTqG3HWC70D9pe9gcpS-Alyc_ma1vSB2UdMYkNfarRGsWyS3WxoI-QDnNgLnFgwAcM_jfYFC8ehYA_wfV_ccAJUZBuNnkagrB-Zwz0DZtivpjtptua3Lx2KGb_n6PDc-

One of Disneyland’s most renowned and best-loved attractions, “it’s a small world,” really has proved to be the “happiest cruise that ever sailed” - the most musical, lyrical, magical attraction at Disneyland. A salute to the children of the world, this delightful attraction speaks the international language of goodwill. Its impressive exterior playfully represents landmarks from around the world including France’s Eiffel Tower, Italy’s Leaning Tower of Pisa, and India’s famed Taj Mahal.

One of the four Disney-designed shows at the New York World’s Fair, the attraction features more than 300 “singing and dancing” dolls representing children the world over, all spotlighted as they serenade boat-borne guests with their meaningful song, “It’s a Small World (After All).” At the dedication ceremonies, Walt was surrounded by appropriately dressed children from around the world. Surrounded by whimsical topiary gardens, the kinetic facade of “it’s a small world” has in its center a thirty-foot animated Clock Tower. Every 15 minutes the clock wildly springs into motion as a parade of 24 internationally-themed children march around its base.

Imagineer Mary Blair designed much of the original attraction. Mary Blair’s career with Disney spanned more than forty years. Yet it is possible that she will best be remembered for the vivid color styling and design of “it’s a small world.” Imagineer Rolly Crump recalled of Mary Blair’s assignment to “it’s a small world,” “I think it hit her at the right time. It was a powerful package for her. It was about children, the freedom of color, and that Walt had asked her to do it. Like she’d died and gone to heaven. It had to be the crescendo for her because I’ve never seen anything as powerful as her work. She just whipped this stuff out.

In a way, “it’s a small world” is a summation of all that was unique in Mary’s work. Her drawings were simple and crisp, the colors flat and bold. Walt Disney regarded her color styles and good taste as nearly infallible. The ride might have opened in 1966 at Disneyland, but additional characters debuted in 2009 - thoughtfully placed and designed for the appropriate nations.

During our cruise on the Seven Seaways Canal, we must keep an eye out for Peter Pan and Tinker Bell in England, Cinderella in her native France, Pinocchio and Jiminy Cricket in Italy, Hercules and Pegasus in Greece, Aladdin and Jasmine in the Middle East, The Three Caballeros in Mexico, Ariel and Flounder under the sea, and many, many more familiar Disney Friends the world over.

The “happiest cruise that ever sailed” exits into Small World Imports, a one-of-a-kind shop in showcase of unique toys, dolls and clothing exclusive to the design and color of "it's a small world."

Part Three coming soon! Next time, we'll visit the unfortunate fate for a Marc Davis dark ride and then peruse Fantasyland's one and only "Sub-Land." Tune in Wednesday, Thursday or Friday for the next exciting episode of Mirror Disneyland!

DisneyManOne

Guess who had a little bit of extra time before going to work?

All of my references are shared with Fantasyland's first update, seen on Page 3. Please read before you do with this.

D5xVPcnLUUyfBjwNElpROGVuCxJ98-HXnW5LgLZhUqXksJOzFePfJNdfFAm9WB4RTokljhc1sdQY1klVD5z-7nuV8feFf9BVL2E7QV6QVxF6WTRDHdhffI2EeQ6ZSkaEhORUgG5M

The Chicken of the Sea Pirate Ship and Restaurant was, and still is, a Disneyland landmark found north of the Castle Courtyard, although the name changed to the current Captain Hook’s Galley when Chicken of the Sea dropped its sponsorship in 1969. The boat sits docked within a sandy lagoon amidst steep coral cliffs, tropical settings and an imposing Skull Rock, a replication of scenes from the 1953 animated classic, Peter Pan. The ship was rebuilt entirely in late 1982, reopening with New Fantasyland as an ominous galleon made from concrete and fiberglass rather than timber and wood. Skull Rock became a part of Disneyland in 1960, and has remained ever since. Pizza is, oddly enough, the main attraction of the modern Hook’s Galley restaurant.

Canal Boats of the World opened with the rest of the Park on July 17, 1955. The cruise offered little more than a view of earthen embankments and undeveloped landscaping. The addition of miniature scenes from Disney animated movies transformed the attraction to Storybook Land Canal Boats, which opened on June 16, 1956. One of the most delicate, picturesque realms in Disneyland - Storybook Land - was introduced in Fantasyland as one of Walt’s personal favorites.

The Spring 1958 issue of The Disneyland News described the finished product in vivid detail: “A kingdom in miniature, Storybook Land presents life-like re-creations of villages, castles, houses and other buildings from the pages of fabled stories—scene after scene of painstakingly detailed settings. If you’ve ever wanted to actually see, from close up, Geppetto’s Village high in the snow covered Alps; Kensington Gardens from the story of Peter Pan; the straw, stick and brick houses of the Three Little Pigs; and the Crazy Quilt Country from ‘Wynken, Blinken and Nod,’ they’re all there—along with many more—in Storybook Land. Gaily painted, picturesque European canal boats take visitors through the mouth of Monstro the Whale into this wonderful world.”

a2_9InlNro0ny7nNRFNTU2fgezgUku3m3ejU0WY_AM8Gka3SFfNHxhl9V3er69c6fhmW5gqja-kK29eH59IBy1brOlZMXfNseVooKrqzZHYD5f2TUySkY1Wg1pKBD4Dj4WisOaC2

Model makers at the Disney Studio labored six months turning artists’ visualizations of Pinocchio’s Village, the straw-stick-brick homes of the Three Little Pigs, and other fabled favorites into detailed buildings. On a scale of one inch to a foot, they fashioned lead hinges so six-inch doors would actually open for electricians to change light bulbs. Tiny toys were carved for the window of Geppetto’s shop, and “stained glass” and leaded windows were handcrafted and installed.

When the miniature dwellings were complete, landscapers brought the village to life by the ingenious use of plants and flowers. After selecting plants whose leaf size was but little more than a quarter inch, they further restricted growth by planting them in containers. A three-foot tall Japanese Boxwood, with gnarled trunk, was shaped and pruned to represent the oak tree where Alice entered the Rabbit Hole. A 100-year old grapevine was uprooted and turned upside down to appear like the “terribly tortured old snag” in front of Ratty’s home from Wind in the Willows. Finally, a “magical” growth retardant was added to all the little trees and shrubs to further restrict growth to no more than one inch per year.

_GnIs0eEQ3IFqeTF4LWpL45oldGGVUI_DA4C2IK8j0uV3_KyeHj56q9HsDDLzqiRGNp1QItiXjTEVLepUgpQLGZUVBiU-3RoRoZsNsEcVc3gRigjfFPfst5sIXgRmXAvneW4t_zD

The charming Alice Wonderland is an attraction that won’t be found anywhere else. This unique dark ride was one of two new attractions that opened at Disneyland on June 14, 1958, the other being the Sailing Ship Columbia in Frontierland. The mischievous White Rabbit who led Alice astray made amends by presenting the fairy-tale blonde with the key to Fantasyland’s then-newest adventure in a colorful Opening Ceremony. In 1984, a year after the rest of New Fantasyland opened, the painted cut-outs of the original attraction were replaced with three-dimensional characters and set pieces. New lighting and state-of-the-art special effects were later added in 2014.

“It doesn’t matter if you believe me or not. But common sense doesn’t really work here. You’re mad, I’m mad. We’re all MAD here.”

Alice in Wonderland is our curious voyage down, down, down the Rabbit Hole and into the nonsensical world of Alice’s Wonderland. Here we discover an upside down world of wonder, mystery and danger. Tulgey Wood and the Queen of Hearts’ Castle await amidst a peculiar labyrinth of magical creatures, conflicting signage, glowering flowers, and a grinning Cheshire Cat. A chatty Doorknob welcomes us: “Looking for the White Rabbit? Well, see for yourself!” Alice in Wonderland represents the adventure of childhood.

A Caucus Race leads astray and into a crop of beautiful, singing flowers - standing six to eight feet in height! Hungry dandelions and a snarling tiger lily lie in wait… The Caterpillar enjoys his favorite pipe from atop a technicolor toadstool. “W - H - O - are you?” Conflicting directions, bizarre birds and a sinister Cheshire Cat welcome us to the labyrinth of Tulgey Wood. Alice, having grown to an extraordinary size, bursts through the walls of a disgruntled White Rabbit’s cottage. Card Soldiers frantically “paint the roses red” in fear of their evil mistress: The Queen of Hearts. After we defeat the Queen in a game of croquet, we are forced to escape our undesired fate - pursued by the Queen of Hearts and her Card Soldiers - through an outdoor “slide” of spiraling high and low hedges and hills. One wrong turn aboard our sour Caterpillar-shaped car might lead right back to the Castle; one right turn might lead to our safe and sound return to Fantasyland.

Finally, we come upon Alice, the Mad Hatter, the March Hare and the Dormouse whilst they enjoy a spot of tea for a very merry unbirthday party. Whistling teapots, spinning cakes and precariously stacked cups set the scene, followed by a very terrified White Rabbit and a VERY explosive unbirthday cake.

M45li-r6oDimkuERuJ3i2iU0wbErCHMDJ5lYDNN8zsVlm3Pwp6iGsKhL6mdd3yjuq3F8_52rChPN7vllnH-4HQ3J_OoyA7_OSZJsFrK1iBUs_DQp7mmSnmuR7eRcT9ntbg_ZvRmx

Fantasyland’s iconic spinning teacup ride has been dizzying Disneyland guests ever since Opening Day. Inspired by the Mad Hatter’s tea party from Walt Disney’s animated classic Alice in Wonderland, this timeless attraction features the same resplendent colors and objects of disproportionate size. Madcap music fills the air as we rotate beneath a canopy of colored lanterns. A wheel in the center of the teacup lets us control the direction and speed of our spin.

The wildly popular Mad Tea Party was originally located where the King Arthur Carrousel sits today. The carousel was originally squeezed into the tight real estate between the Mad Tea Party and Sleeping Beauty Castle for some odd, unbeknownst reason. As part of New Fantasyland, Disneyland built an all-new Mad Tea Party near the entrance to the Alice in Wonderland attraction.

zVxGuFfUDlJAvwCzhiUzsBe4v4Whzu80ziv6gjPc3_lnkm_SQ5c9upwYjjvL7YuY7jwdkdV0XHX66PUB3Shr1k0WFcyxkEy41nEjxqOiV5fRhmKaAkzwSHDybh99-sqeYcMrZbQx

In the early months of 1959, a new form slowly emerged on the Orange County horizon. Residents could hardly believe that a mountain was actually “growing” in full view of the Santa Ana Freeway: Disneyland’s own “Bit O’ Switzerland.”

“Bit O’ Switzerland” sounds a little Irish, but what the heck. Matterhorn Mountain grew from two origins: Walt Disney’s trip to Switzerland to visit the set of Third Man on the Mountain, and his desire to eliminate the central support pylon of the Skyway attraction, which looked too industrial for his taste. Soon, Walt was making plans for a speeding bobsled run that picked up where Third Man of the Mountain left off, a chance for the audience to experience firsthand the icy slopes of a Disneyland Matterhorn.

The original site of the Matterhorn was occupied by a large pile of dirt, known as Holiday Hill. Numerous photographs of the Swiss peak were carefully studied to create the most accurate replica possible. Scale models led to blueprints, which eventually unfolded into lath, plaster, rebar and cement. The final result is a perfect 1/100th scale re-creation of the famous Swiss peak. Matterhorn Bobsleds was the first roller-coaster-style attraction at Disneyland Park- and the very first tubular steel coaster in the world. The iconic attraction is also one-of-a-kind - no other Disney Park can claim a Matterhorn mountain.

Matterhorn Bobsleds opened on June 14, 1959, along with the Submarine Voyage and the Disneyland-Alweg Monorail System, with a live, ninety-minute television broadcast. Vice President Richard Nixon was on hand to dedicate the attraction with Walt by his side. Other distinguished guests included the Swiss Consul General and members of The Sierra Club whom Walt recruited to climb his mountain for the TV cameras. Matterhorn Bobsleds was an instant hit and remains one of the Park’s most popular attractions. Walt had always intended the show to be just as compelling within the dark tunnels and icy caverns as it was on the snow-covered slopes and ridges outside. But, the Matterhorn’s “second phase” was postponed when Walt and his Imagineers were sidetracked by the New York World’s Fair.

etHs5xcfj-IsPL3vkKPvOk3c7N5b90BgwcuhK6MPHrHDdijAPePaE9yXXTx61jaPnbieO2QG1Lqt1klulldNMafetePkCei36UNF59fBNdcECznTKb8-FdHm3ZmvZmKYDjjXfhAk

The original intent was for the mythical Abominable Snowman to haunt the Matterhorn on opening day, but there just wasn’t enough time or money to accomplish everything Walt wanted to do by then. Imagineer Harriet Burns had gone a long way toward finishing a full-size, fiberglass-and-fur cloth mock-up of the abominable snowman by the attraction’s busy first year or two of operation.

In 1978, a total of fifty new tandem bobsleds were built, some from scratch and others from existing vehicles. The lift tunnel was completely enclosed to “keep in the cold," with a decidedly effective special effects snowstorm, and later, in 2015, an “uphill encounter” with a digital abominable snowman, adding to the chilly atmosphere. Then, as the bobsleds reached the top of the lift hill and began to pick up speed, a pair of angry red eyes glowed brightly in the darkness, our first encounter with a “mysterious, lurking snow monster,” as Imagineers referred to the show’s new star. The sleds then passed through an eerie fog bank and ice caverns filled with glowing crystals and wrecked “mountain climbing” equipment, before beginning a high-speed trek down and around the mountain.

The highlight of the new show was of course the Abominable Snowman, “Harold.” A total of three snowmen were built for the attraction, one for the “A” side, a second for the “B” side, and a third that was visible from both ride tracks. The original snowmen were swapped for more realistic, "lunging" Audio-Animatronics snowmen in 2015 as part of Disneyland's 60th Anniversary.

QQ7dvS7rhTqG3HWC70D9pe9gcpS-Alyc_ma1vSB2UdMYkNfarRGsWyS3WxoI-QDnNgLnFgwAcM_jfYFC8ehYA_wfV_ccAJUZBuNnkagrB-Zwz0DZtivpjtptua3Lx2KGb_n6PDc-

One of Disneyland’s most renowned and best-loved attractions, “it’s a small world,” really has proved to be the “happiest cruise that ever sailed” - the most musical, lyrical, magical attraction at Disneyland. A salute to the children of the world, this delightful attraction speaks the international language of goodwill. Its impressive exterior playfully represents landmarks from around the world including France’s Eiffel Tower, Italy’s Leaning Tower of Pisa, and India’s famed Taj Mahal.

One of the four Disney-designed shows at the New York World’s Fair, the attraction features more than 300 “singing and dancing” dolls representing children the world over, all spotlighted as they serenade boat-borne guests with their meaningful song, “It’s a Small World (After All).” At the dedication ceremonies, Walt was surrounded by appropriately dressed children from around the world. Surrounded by whimsical topiary gardens, the kinetic facade of “it’s a small world” has in its center a thirty-foot animated Clock Tower. Every 15 minutes the clock wildly springs into motion as a parade of 24 internationally-themed children march around its base.

Imagineer Mary Blair designed much of the original attraction. Mary Blair’s career with Disney spanned more than forty years. Yet it is possible that she will best be remembered for the vivid color styling and design of “it’s a small world.” Imagineer Rolly Crump recalled of Mary Blair’s assignment to “it’s a small world,” “I think it hit her at the right time. It was a powerful package for her. It was about children, the freedom of color, and that Walt had asked her to do it. Like she’d died and gone to heaven. It had to be the crescendo for her because I’ve never seen anything as powerful as her work. She just whipped this stuff out.

In a way, “it’s a small world” is a summation of all that was unique in Mary’s work. Her drawings were simple and crisp, the colors flat and bold. Walt Disney regarded her color styles and good taste as nearly infallible. The ride might have opened in 1966 at Disneyland, but additional characters debuted in 2009 - thoughtfully placed and designed for the appropriate nations.

During our cruise on the Seven Seaways Canal, we must keep an eye out for Peter Pan and Tinker Bell in England, Cinderella in her native France, Pinocchio and Jiminy Cricket in Italy, Hercules and Pegasus in Greece, Aladdin and Jasmine in the Middle East, The Three Caballeros in Mexico, Ariel and Flounder under the sea, and many, many more familiar Disney Friends the world over.

The “happiest cruise that ever sailed” exits into Small World Imports, a one-of-a-kind shop in showcase of unique toys, dolls and clothing exclusive to the design and color of "it's a small world."

Part Three coming soon! Next time, we'll visit the unfortunate fate for a Marc Davis dark ride and then peruse Fantasyland's one and only "Sub-Land." Tune in Wednesday, Thursday or Friday for the next exciting episode of Mirror Disneyland!

You know, I was going to ask where Dumbo was going to be, but then I remembered what you've shared in past Dream Resort threads, and I have a good feeling as to what's coming next...

DisneyManOne

By the way, if I may bring up Charlie Callahan again, will Mirror Disneyland's Matterhorn see a track replacement as part of its 2015 refurbishment? That was one of his biggest gripes with the ride, as detailed here...

Also, it should be noted that he would renege on his decision to make Matterhorn a "Dishonorable Mention", and placed it back on the list.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom