The Merch Alert Thread

SuddenStorm

So SWGE will have all the overpriced Star Wars items that look like they're actually worth something. while Tomorrowland will be the home of overpriced Star Wars items that look cheaply made like a $10,000 Darth Vader with a birthday table cloth cape?

Being fair, that Darth Vader is a life size replica of the first action figure line from the late '70s... it's cool in theory, but I think most people who are going to spend thousands would just get the actual first run action figure.

Rich T

Basically. If it isn't a popcorn bucket or Funko Pop- it doesn't get made!

When I was at the park in December, I had an interesting conversation with a Disneyana CM- great guy. I expressed my disappointment with the current merchandise situation, saying that I'm a Disneyland fan first and foremost, not a Disneyland Resort, DCA, or Disney film fan (though idolize the golden age/early renaissance era animated features). He actually agreed, and said he has many of the same complaints about the merchandise. Of course, I also shared my thoughts on Imagineering and Galaxy's Edge- and he both agreed, and elaborated on my points. Said that they were shocked when Imagineering pulled the attraction posters from the kiosks, since they were huge sellers.

I'm coming to terms that Disneyland as an entity isn't Disney's focus anymore- more and more it's just a place to advertise the current films and hawk inexpensive plastic buckets to AP's with more money than taste. Which is a shame, since as Disneyland's image in the public persona continues to change from a classy place for families to spend a vacation, to an overly expensive, overly crowded place with activities primarily geared towards young children- it could really start hurting decades from now when Disneyland's brand is so diluted, it's no different than Universal in the public eye.
In past years, I’d probably spend about $100 to $150 on merch during a typical annual DL vacation. On my recent trip in October—after staying away from DLR for several years—I had no trouble keeping my wallet in my pocket. Boring, generic merch everywhere. In the end, I bought one item: a Mr. Toad phone case hidden among all the SW phone cases in the Launch Bay. And I only found that because my nephew knew where to look for it.

Rich T

The price of the the hilt, or handle, will be around $109 while the cost of the blade will be $49 depending on the style of lightsaber purchased, according to the Associated Press. Disneyland officials said lightsaber prices are still being finalized for Galaxy’s Edge.

The $158 lightsaber price tag would be costlier than a $149 single-day ticket at the Anaheim theme park on the busiest “peak” day. And considerably more expensive than the $20 plastic toy lightsabers sold in Tomorrowland.<<
Future Headline: Disney Discovers Guests Can’t Afford Pricey Star Wars Merchandise After Paying For Increased Park Admission. Business Model Collapses. Everybody Fired. :D

SuddenStorm

Word on the street is that there's a new Madame Leota figurine, Genie figurine, and Timon and Pumba figurine at the Disneyana.

Looks like Disney's starting to role out Aladdin, Lion King, and Haunted Mansion merchandise... I just think it's a shame we didn't get a figurine of Will Smith's Genie

D.Silentu

[The $158 lightsaber price tag would be costlier than a $149 single-day ticket at the Anaheim theme park on the busiest “peak” day. And considerably more expensive than the $20 plastic toy lightsabers sold in Tomorrowland.<<
The real surprise to me is that they're charging so much more than the interactive magic wands at Wizzarding World. I believe those cost about fifty dollars and seeing as Galaxy's Edge is supposed to directly compete with them, this price seems more like hubris than anything else. I think they would have been wise to create a mid tier option at a similar price point to the wands.

Phroobar

jumbovader1.jpg

Why are they reselling this? It came out in 2015 for $2400.

You can buy one right now at Entertainment Earth.

mickEblu

Original Poster
The new Starbucks mug is everything I like in Disneyland merchandise- it just says "Disneyland" without the "park" or "resort" nonsense. It focuses only on classic Disneyland attractions, and looks kind of vintage.

Agree and I’ll be picking one up on my next trip. I figured the delay since the last new mug release was them switching over from the “You are Here” to the “Been There” series. Overall, I like the design of the “Been There” Starbucks mugs more. Interesting (or not really) that the only lands that didn’t get their own mug were Tomorrowland and Toontown. Also note, DCAs lands weren’t even strong enough Or have enough iconic images to get their own mugs unless you count the second one seemed to be more Paradise Pier based.

EDIT: Not true, Critter Country and Frontierland didn’t get mugs either.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom