Star Wars Land announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

drod1985

Where's the love? I'm not sure I've seen anybody gushing over them. The two reactions I've seen are: "Well that makes sense, and I guess it's a fun way to get Coke into GE" and "OMG my immersion is ruined by soda grenades - how could they do this?!"

These sodas are not a big deal.

Minthorne

I hope you and the people "love-ing" the pic know it's a 'shop. ;)

I mean, they could have Coke Zero Thermal Detonators, we just don't know.

flynnibus

Premium Member
....is anyone else totally mystified by the love for these Coke bottles?

If Universal was doing this, there would be pitchforks out about them "ruining the immersion."

They were never going to remove the outside world... people have just been taking truths and then extrapolating them to their own insane conclusions.

This is classic Disney... obscure or interweave the elements to make them blend or feel at home. Like the old fire access points in the past, or theming of signs, etc.

I just see this as an example of how Disney is trying to blend practicalities with the setting of the land. Just wait till we see what the restroom signs must look like :)

Jobacca

On a non-soda note,has anyone else who is watching the livestream been...not as impressed by some of the merch? They showed the Droid Depot droids today and they looked about the same as the Hasbro RC droids...just in different colors. I thought they might look more weathered and "real-world" instead of bright shiny brand new plastic. Also,they gave the voice-actress for Ashoka a set of her lightsabers in a display case(the same ones they'll sell in the park,I assume) and they were...OK. Not as nice as a lot of the 3rd party lightsabers or even the Hasbro Black Series but definitely a step up from the cheap build-a-sabers they currently offer. I dont know if I'd pay $150-$200 for the experience of building one though. To be fair,the stuffed creatures and puppets and some of the clothing looked quite nice,so maybe merch is gonna be a mixed bag.

drod1985

On a non-soda note,has anyone else who is watching the livestream been...not as impressed by some of the merch? They showed the Droid Depot droids today and they looked about the same as the Hasbro RC droids...just in different colors. I thought they might look more weathered and "real-world" instead of bright shiny brand new plastic. Also,they gave the voice-actress for Ashoka a set of her lightsabers in a display case(the same ones they'll sell in the park,I assume) and they were...OK. Not as nice as a lot of the 3rd party lightsabers or even the Hasbro Black Series but definitely a step up from the cheap build-a-sabers they currently offer. I dont know if I'd pay $150-$200 for the experience of building one though. To be fair,the stuffed creatures and puppets and some of the clothing looked quite nice,so maybe merch is gonna be a mixed bag.

Yeah, I was hoping for a more weathered vibe from the droids as well, but I guess these are clean new builds.

In terms of the sabers - the Ahsoka sabers are not an example of the sabers you build. Those are replica sabers you can buy from Dok Ondar's. In the live stream they looked to have the same blade system as the current Luke, Kylo and Vader Disney Parks exclusive sabers, so you can expect quality on par with that (which is pretty good). The BYOS parts are custom designs and aren't necessarily based on sabers we've seen in the films or other media. They'll hopefully show those off tomorrow.

Jobacca

Yeah, I was hoping for a more weathered vibe from the droids as well, but I guess these are clean new builds.

In terms of the sabers - the Ahsoka sabers are not an example of the sabers you build. Those are replica sabers you can buy from Dok Ondar's. In the live stream they looked to have the same blade system as the current Luke, Kylo and Vader Disney Parks exclusive sabers, so you can expect quality on par with that (which is pretty good). The BYOS parts are custom designs and aren't necessarily based on sabers we've seen in the films or other media. They'll hopefully show those off tomorrow.

Yeah,I'm hoping they'll look cool(and worth the price). I did see a replica of Chewies bag that I'm gonna have to buy Day 1-I've been carrying my laptop to work in the older Chewie messenger bag they made a few years ago,but this one looked like the actual movie prop!

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
Another look at them:
View attachment 364296
View attachment 364297

Assuming those sphere bottles are the same size as the Christmas ones they had a few years ago, they'll be 13.5oz / 400ml.

they've been selling these for years in the Atlanta area Walmarts around Christmas, just the top is new.

A quick edit, of course its just been the spherical the body without the Furbish (yeah I know, but essentially its just gibberish)

Last edited:

Rteetz

Is there any potiental of a Phase 4 closure on Star Wars opening day? Maybe not since it's also opening for Food and Wine and DL opens before.
The land itself? I fully expect them to limit the amount of people going in this land for days if not weeks. I don't expect the park to reach phase 4 closure.

FerretAfros

What about all the first order stuff that looks like Nazi regalia? How long does that stuff last?
Oh, I thought I was the only one that thought that. But how do you make an oppressive government military look like an oppressive government military without resembling an earthly version of one?
Star Wars, and particularly the First Order, has always been pretty heavy-handed with the Nazi imagery, to the extent that the imagery is used instead of actually defining their political motivations. If someone at Disney was going stop it for being of questionable taste, it would have already happened. Instead, they've leaned even further into it.

This is a little long and gets a little heady at times, but it does a great job of explaining how the fascist imagery is used in lieu of a clear ideology or motivation:

RSoxNo1

Star Wars, and particularly the First Order, has always been pretty heavy-handed with the Nazi imagery, to the extent that the imagery is used instead of actually defining their political motivations. If someone at Disney was going stop it for being of questionable taste, it would have already happened. Instead, they've leaned even further into it.

This is a little long and gets a little heady at times, but it does a great job of explaining how the fascist imagery is used in lieu of a clear ideology or motivation:

I don't disagree, but I can't imagine something that resembles nazi uniforms are going to be big sellers.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom