Which Hotel??

InLovew/disney

Original Poster
We have been to WDW many times and always stay onsite. Planning our first trip to Disneyland and wondering how important it is to stay onsite vs. nearby hotels. What is everyone's favorite place to stay? No kids on this trip. TIA!

Rich T

A lot of people here will tell you it's a far better deal to stay at a nice non-Disney hotel within walking distance, and that's true.

HOWEVER... If you can afford the DL Hotel or Grand Californian, go for it. The convenience and MOST IMPORTANTLY the early park access makes it well worth it, especially if this is a rare trip. Basically it's like staying in Downtown Disney, and you never have to look at the real world or take any kind of transportation during your stay.

Personally, I usually stay at Paradise Pier Hotel. It's a nice compromise. Better rates with less theming (still charming, though), dull pool and a longer walk to the parks, but you still get the early access.
(EDIT)
If you do go Paradise Pier, try to get a room with a DCA view. It's kind of fun watching the park "go to sleep" and "wake up" with you.

This was the view from our Paradise Pier Hotel window a few years ago. :)

Last edited:

Axoman

I've been fortunate to have stayed at both Disneyland Hotel and Grand Californian. Our first visit we stayed at Grand Californian and got our room upgraded to a park view overlooking the entrance to DCA. Location was excellent.

Our second trip, we stayed at Disneyland Hotel. A little further walk than Grand Californian, but I feel the theming is better at Disneyland Hotel.

Our third trip, we stayed at the Courtyard Theme Park Entrance. It was probably about the same walking time to the entrance as Disneyland Hotel, but much cheaper.

If you can afford it, I'd recommend one of the Disney hotels, but if you want to save money, there are many other close hotels that are much cheaper. I don't know that I'd pay extra to stay at a Disney hotel again.

Nextinline

If you are the type of person who stays at the parks all day, 100% don't spend the money for a Disney hotel. If you enjoy going back to the hotel for food/pool/drinks then Disneyland Hotel and Grand Californian are excellent! I agree with the previous comment that only the Grand Californian has the "WDW" feel to it, but Disneyland Hotel (+Trader Sams) is my favorite hotel.

truecoat

I stayed at Park Vue Inn a couple years ago. Being right across the street from Disneyland was awesome. There are several hotels right across that might fit your needs. If you want a cheaper hotel, book the Clarion through getawaytoday.com and you'll get the breakfast and parking free usually. Although this hotel is south of DCA, you can cross the street and catch a ride on a bus from the Toy Story lot.

Janir

WE just did DLR back in November and we didn't stay at DLHotel or GC, Wish we did, but the cost was not in the cards at that point. If costs are an issue, try the nearby hotels. We stayed at the Fairfield. IT was nice clean and short walking distance away and right behind a McDonald's so we could stop for a fast breakfast on our way out each day. Don't be afraid to give Small World Vacations or the like a call to help set up a DLR trip. We got everything lined up through them, hotel and tix and everything was simple and relatively cheap.

Darkbeer1

OK, there are BIG differences between Anaheim and WDW. The entire DLR is compact. Many of the non-Disney Hotels/Motels are as close or closer than one of the three Disney owned ones. (measured from the Lobby to the center of the Main Entrance Plaza).

That makes the Park Vue Inn and the Best Western Plus Park Place Inn and Suites the two closest lodging locations to the Main Gate (which hosts both Theme Park's Entrances).

Benefits of staying off-site,

Less costs for lodging. Many are with walking distance, otherwise a short ART Shuttle bus trip.

A good percentage are newer Hotels than the three Disney ones.

Many offer a Free Breakfast (more savings). Some have a free Happy Hour and/or a light supper)

A decent amount are the Extended Stay style, so larger rooms with Kitchens and Suites.

Access to many restaurants that are cheaper than a Disney one.

If you buy a Three Day or Longer Ticket, Disney will give you one early Entry to Disneyland, no matter where you stay.

Some of the newer ones within Walking Distance. The Hyatt House, Springhill Suites and Residence Inn at the corner of Harbor and Katella. All are Extended Stay versions with Free Breakfast, nice pools, and a short walk up Harbor to the park's Entrance.

dontknow

We stayed at the Grand Californian and it was amazing. All of it..

We walked into the DisneyLand Hotel and from the main floor, and if the rooms looked as nice as the main floor, I would have no hesitations staying there.

Both are extremely convenient to the parks.

BalooChicago

We’re WDW vets (I’ve been every-other year my whole life, my wife since we started dating). We went to DL on a WDW off year which was also our ten year anniversary. As our first trip, and our anniversary, we splurged on the Grand. GC is amazing. It’s everything we love about WL and then some. You only get a first trip once. Our second trip we did paradise pier. I wanted to do DL hotel, but it was booked solid. PPH was nice, the room was very nice, the view spectacular, and my son loved the pool. My only complaint about PPH is the walk isn’t magical - the way they’ve rearranged security and with them not letting you walk through GC (I understand why) stinks, it’s just not themed and a lot of it feels like you’re walking through parking lots. I’d not hesitate to stay at GC or DL, and would probably stay at PPH again in a pinch, but would definitely recommend GC and DL over PPH. After our most recent WDW (Fort Wilderness) trip my wife and I agreed that while we still love WDW (and especially FW) we prefer DL.

SteveAZee

I'm a WDW veteran, but decided to go to Disneyland a few years ago. I rented points from a friend and stayed at the Grand Californian and I thought the experience was on par with Florida. I did really like walking to the parks each morning, and the GC has a private back entrance into California Adventure, so that was cool as well. It seemed the best experience for me because it was (for the most part) staying in the Disney bubble.

westie

I was an AP'er for many years. I've stayed at all the DLR hotels and I always stay at the Grand now. It's just soo convenient.

Jedi Stitch

Its all about money. If you have money, the Grand Californian with its own entrance into DCA would be the 5 star. When I was a kid I always wanted to stay at the Disneyland Hotel. At that time it had its own monorail station, but it does not now. Disneyland and Paradise Pier have great park views but no special access or entrance, other than a promenade overpass over the BLVD. You can stay way cheaper on the east side of the property literally just across the street from the east entrance and you get a better deal. At some point Disney has plans to make the east entrance work like the west entrance, and then you will have to walk around the block, but until then BW Park place or BW Anaheim Inn just 2 more doors down are good places. Then again are you park commandos like me or do you like resort days, then Disney themed hotel would be more your style.

CaptainAmerica

How much do you value the "Disney Bubble"? Lots of people say Disneyland doesn't offer the same bubble that WDW does, but I completely disagree depending on your hotel and room type. If you're staying in the Disneyland Hotel in an East-facing room in the Adventure Tower or in the Grand Californian in anything other than Standard View, the bubble is even stronger than what you get at WDW because you don't even have to look at a single road or parking lot for your entire trip. The whole world to you is just your hotel, Downtown Disney, and the parks.

Weather_Lady

We're visiting in August and after a ton of research, opted to spend most of our stay at the Best Western Plus Anaheim Inn, directly across the street from the Promenade.

Just to give you an idea about what you can get offsite for half the cost of an onsite hotel (we're paying $265/night after a modest AAA discount, in comparison with, for example, the Disneyland Hotel, which with taxes and fees is $520/night for a standard view room for our dates), we'll be enjoying:
  • a less-than-5-minute walk to either park entrance (far less than walking time from the onsite hotels, except for Grand Californian-to-CA)
  • a recently-renovated 2-BEDROOM SUITE with 2 queen beds in one room and a king in the other (not just a standard room)
  • all the same in-room amenities (fridge, coffeemaker, toiletries, wi-fi, in-room safe) that an onsite hotel would provide
  • FREE parking (would cost $25/night at an onsite hotel)
  • FREE daily breakfast, including hot items (no complimentary breakfast at onsite hotel)
At that price and with those perks, I don't mind going bubble-free! The only minus, as far as I'm concerned, is that the hotel pool is dinky and the decor won't be Disney-fied. (I should divulge that for this reason, we opted to splurge on DLH for our last two nights, mainly for the kids' use of the pools and slides, although I suspect the tiny standard room will feel like a big downgrade.) We also won't be eligible for EMH every day while we're at the Best Western -- but since we bought a multi-day ticket, we'll still be able to utilize one Magic Morning at Disneyland if we want during that time.

Last edited:

CaptainAmerica

My goal is to stay in each of them at least once.
I used to hold that view with WDW too, but then I thought about it and considered whether I really ever needed to stay at All Star Sports to feel complete. I concluded that I do not. I feel the same way about Paradise Pier. I'd stay off site, probably at the Park Vue Inn, before I'd stay at Paradise Pier.

Phroobar

Personally, I like the HoJos across from Disneyland. It's got that Tomorrowland architecture with high ceilings and arches. There is a pretty good kid pool and pirate water playground. It's fun sitting by the pool watching the monorail go by.

When the kids were younger, we would just stay at one of the hotels around Disneyland just for the pool and a fun night. We only live half hour away. We've stayed at all of the Disneyland hotels. They are fine but considering you can go to their restaurants without staying there I didn't see much of a reason for the huge price. The pools are just ok too. Remember you are spending most of your time at the parks. The hotels are just places to sleep.

Purduevian

I happen to have a family member that works for Disneyland and is able to get me a discount at the Paradise Pier hotel that fits my budget (disneyland hotel and Grand are out of budget).

If price was about the same would you rather stay at the Best Western Park Place Inn or Paradise Pier?
A few notes:
-Honeymoon of 2 mid 20 year olds (no kids or mobility issues)
-Trip would be arrive around 7pm Friday, Saturday-Monday in the parks, depart for airport around 1pm on Tuesday
-Not sure if we would go back to hotel during day or spend all day in the parks
-Both would be standard rooms, a nice view is out of budget

From what I can see
Pros of Best Western:
Closer to Parks
Free Breakfast
Nicer rooms

Pros of Paradise Pier:
2 extra magic hours (both extras at CA (Sun/Mon), we would get Saturday at DL anyway with a 3 day ticket)
Disney Bubble
Less busy Security in the morning

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom