Captain Marvel

Tony Perkis

I’m hoping this won’t happen to Frozen 2 if something comes out (no pun intended) about Elsa. I would love to have LGBTQ+ represented in movies, but it doesn’t fit in EVERY SINGLE MOVIE. I still don’t see how it fits in Jungle Cruise. It’s nice to have variety of characters, but it’s only right in some movies.
I’ll actually argue that Frozen makes the most sense for this plot point.

Elsa is a blank slate. She was a plot device in the first film who had a song, while I despise, is objectively an incredibly important song. But beyond that, she was a poorly defined character.

The one awful idea that Disney could make happen is if they double down on Josh Gad. It’s not that he’s bad; he isn’t. His role is perfect in the first film; irrelevant to the main plot, funny, and keeps the tone light. But giving him a larger role reeks of Jack Sparrow given larger roles in the POTC films, which I assume most people agree those were poor decisions.

Mike S

Elsa is a blank slate. She was a plot device in the first film who had a song, while I despise, is objectively an incredibly important song. But beyond that, she was a poorly defined character.

The one awful idea that Disney could make happen is if they double down on Josh Gad. It’s not that he’s bad; he isn’t. His role is perfect in the first film; irrelevant to the main plot, funny, and keeps the tone light. But giving him a larger role reeks of Jack Sparrow given larger roles in the POTC films, which I assume most people agree those were poor decisions.
?

Jack Sparrow was always the highlight.

Princess Leia

?

Jack Sparrow was always the highlight.
I think it was the flanderization of Jack. Things just kind of got more and more outlandish with him (I never saw the fifth movie).

Honestly let's be real though, none of the other movies held a candle to Curse of the Black Pearl.

Princess Leia

https://news.avclub.com/kevin-smith-pays-captain-marvel-back-for-that-meta-stan-1833562158
This is pretty sweet.
Also:

I'm guessing we'll see CM pass GotG and Spider-Man by the end of the week.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member

Yeah, but an ice queen being a lesbian is a bit on the nose considering cinema's history of queer-coding.

Tony Perkis

He was the better character so I always viewed him as the lead.
He was a much better character in that film, and I believe a combination of better writing and a role strictly as a supporting actor in a better, less ludicrous story are big reasons why.

It isn’t a coincidence that the stories continually got worse and worse as Sparrow was thrust into the lead and the writers had to keep escalating the ridiculousness of the plots to match his persona.

Mike S

He was a much better character in that film, and I believe a combination of better writing and a role strictly as a supporting actor in a better, less ludicrous story are big reasons why.

It isn’t a coincidence that the stories continually got worse and worse as Sparrow was thrust into the lead and the writers had to keep escalating the ridiculousness of the plots to match his persona.
The first movie that was outright bad to me was 5. All the others I found enjoyment.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes

I'd say that she is little more than a plot device as much development that she had. Snow Cones on demand, thats it.

Mike S

My first date with my now wife, I told her I loved the muppets, she told me she did too, 25yrs later... So yea, these things are important. ;)🆒

It is serious business!
I can see that. If I ever met a nice girl my age who, say, told me her favorite band was Iron Maiden I don’t know what I’d do 🤣

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom