Rumor D23 Expo 2019 expected announcements

RSoxNo1

Looking back at some of the big announcements from the 2017 D23 Expo, here are what I have for the rumor timeline:

Ratatouille: http://www.wdwthemeparks.com/rumors/2014/07/01/ratatouille-dark-ride-coming-to-france-pavilion
  • October 18, 2016: Len Testa (co-host of the Unofficial Guide's Disney Dish Podcast) posted on WDWMagic.com that since they recorded the episode released on October 15 that the Ratatouille project has been green lit.
  • October 18, 2016: WDWMagic.com user marni1971 is reporting that the expansion pad between Morocco and France is being considered, but Ratatouille has not been confirmed as the intellectual property nor has the project been green lit.
  • October 15, 2016: On Episode 112 of the Unofficial Guide's Disney Dish Podcast with Jim Hill, Jim mentioned that Disney is looking to add the Ratatouille ride to Epcot's France pavilion in time for 2021's 50th Anniversary of Walt Disney World.
  • July 1, 2014: Jim Hill reported on Episode 61 of the Unofficial Guide's Disney Dish podcast that Paris would have the Ratatouille ride exclusively for 4+ years. This would mean that the earliest the attraction would be brought to Walt Disney World would likely be 2019-2020.
Guardians: http://www.wdwthemeparks.com/rumors/2017/03/21/guardians-of-the-galaxy-attraction-rumor-tracker
  • June 29, 2016: .com is reporting that Mission: SPACE may be the landing spot for Guardians of the Galaxy. (Just had to put this here)
  • June 29, 2016: WDWMagic.com user marni1971 is reporting that Guardians of the Galaxy will be replacing Ellen's Energy Adventure. Additionally, a potential Phase 2 could expand the Guardians of the Galaxy area to include the Wonders of Life area as well.
  • June 28, 2016: WDWMagic.com user WDW1974 is reporting that Guardians of the Galaxy is likely headed to one of two pavilions in Epcot's Future World.
  • June 13, 2016: WDWMagic.com user marni1971 is reporting that it looks like the Tower of Terorr project is dead for Orlando.
  • July 3, 2015: WDWMagic.com user marni1971 has reported that the portion of the $3 billion+ budget coming to Walt Disney World that will be allocated to Epcot could be used for upgrades at the Energy Pavilion and Imagination Pavilion.
Tron: http://www.wdwthemeparks.com/rumors/2017/07/10/tron-lightcycle-power-run-coming-to-tomorrowland
  • July 10, 2017: .com is reporting that the TRON Lightcycle attraction from Shanghai Disneyland will replace the Tomorrowland Speedway by 2020/2021 and it will be officially announced on July 15th at the D23 Expo.
  • March 19, 2017: On Episode 123 of the Unofficial Guide's Disney Dish Podcast with Jim Hill, Jim and Len discuss the possibility of the TRON Coaster from Shanghai Disneyland replacing the Tomorrowland Speedway. This would be done for the 50th Anniversary of the park in 2021 and largely be contingent on the success of TRON 3, should it get made.
  • October, 20, 2016: .com listed a series of rumors, one of which involves the TRON Lightcycle ride from Shanghai Disneyland being reproduced in Tomorrowland.

Kman101

I imagine ROTR opens 2-3 months after the land. I'm going to just guess 3. That would August for DL and November for HS. To me it seems the ride should be ready for around the time the lands would have originally opened, no? I get situations coming up and causing delays but I imagine they wanted to stick with the later opening for the more complex ride.

justintheharris

I imagine ROTR opens 2-3 months after the land. I'm going to just guess 3. That would August for DL and November for HS. To me it seems the ride should be ready for around the time the lands would have originally opened, no? I get situations coming up and causing delays but I imagine they wanted to stick with the later opening for the more complex ride.
For some reason I feel like Disney would open both Disneyland’s and Disney World’s at the same time in order to keep crowds on their respective coasts

Kman101

For some reason I feel like Disney would open both Disneyland’s and Disney World’s at the same time in order to keep crowds on their respective coasts

That's always possible. It does seem odd to have ROTR open at Disneyland just as the land is opening at HWS. But we'll see I guess, lol. I just figured it would be "ready" by the original dates (whatever they were) the lands had. Or it could just soft open one day ... lol and then bam open. But I would think they'd want an announcement. Who knows?

Ripken10

That's always possible. It does seem odd to have ROTR open at Disneyland just as the land is opening at HWS. But we'll see I guess, lol. I just figured it would be "ready" by the original dates (whatever they were) the lands had. Or it could just soft open one day ... lol and then bam open. But I would think they'd want an announcement. Who knows?
I wonder how many star wars fans are out there that, if given the opportunity to attend four "openings" for star wars they would (DL phase 1, Disneyland ROTR, HS phase 1, HS ROTR). There would definitely be some, but would it be significant enough to move any needle...

Kman101

I wonder how many star wars fans are out there that, if given the opportunity to attend four "openings" for star wars they would (DL phase 1, Disneyland ROTR, HS phase 1, HS ROTR). There would definitely be some, but would it be significant enough to move any needle...

I agree. I know there are likely millions of fans, but they aren't going to all be doing four openings, lol. I really cannot wait to see the line to get into the land/park (especially Disneyland, which is already struggling with the crowding). That's kind of why I feel like they may just say ... it's open, lol. But who knows?

brodie999

I agree. I know there are likely millions of fans, but they aren't going to all be doing four openings, lol. I really cannot wait to see the line to get into the land/park (especially Disneyland, which is already struggling with the crowding). That's kind of why I feel like they may just say ... it's open, lol. But who knows?
If I worked for Disney, my predictions for D23 this year would be like this.

Black Widow footage and Eternals full casting announcements.

Marvel announces Phase 4 schedule.

New Star Wars Episode IX trailer.

Pixar announces 2020-2022 films and probably several new ones.

Walt Disney Animation Studios announce titles for untitled films through 2020-22.

20th Century Fox and their other divisions (20th Century Fox Television, FX and Blue Sky Studios) make their debut at the expo this year and announce they will be reviving several of their properties Ice Age, Independence Day, Die Hard, Home Alone, Alien, Diary of a Wimpy Kid and Night at the Museum.

Marvel announces Marvel Television will be reorganised under Marvel Studios by having Ike Perlmutter stop overseeing the TV division as well.

Disney announces they're collaborating with Sony Pictures Television on the Spider-Man-related series that were announced 2 weeks ago.

Marvel Studios and Sony Pictures renew their contract for Spider-Man in the MCU.

Last edited:

Kman101

Walt Disney Animation Studios announce titles for untitled films through 2020-22.

20th Century Fox and their other divisions (20th Century Fox Television, FX and Blue Sky Studios) make their debut at the expo this year and announce they will be reviving several of their properties Ice Age, Independence Day, Die Hard, Home Alone, Alien, Diary of a Wimpy Kid and Night at the Museum.

Marvel announces Marvel Television will be reorganised under Marvel Studios by having Ike Perlmutter stop overseeing the TV division as well.

Disney announces they're collaborating with Sony Pictures Television on the Spider-Man-related series that were announced 2 weeks ago.

Marvel Studios and Sony Pictures renew their contract for Spider-Man in the MCU.

So all Marvel and Fox with a side dash of Pixar, Disney and Star Wars. It does mostly sound plausible lol. Though you were probably being a bit tounge in check, no? I can't seriously imagine them rebooting all of those Fox franchises at the same time ;)

brodie999

So all Marvel and Fox with a side dash of Pixar, Disney and Star Wars. It does mostly sound plausible lol. Though you were probably being a bit tounge in check, no? I can't seriously imagine them rebooting all of those Fox franchises at the same time ;)
Me neither. Here's several more of my predictions

Rian Johnson's Star War trilogy(Episode X-XII) release date announced.

Marvel announces trailers, news and/or release dates for Disney Plus-Marvel TV series(Loki, Vision and the Scarlet Witch, Falcon and Winter Soldier and What If?.

Disney announces Pirates of the Caribbean 6 and Moana 2.

Toy Story 5 announcement (if Toy Story 4 is as much as a critical and commercial success as the last 3 films.)

Monsters Inc.2 and Cars 4 finally get announced. Perhaps even a third Finding Nemo film titled "Finding Marlin" and a fourth main Kingdom Hearts game.

Last edited:

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member

If I had to guess, I'd say we're not getting that Eternals movie any time soon.

toonaspie

Outside of MMRR being announced for Disneyland, I expect the parks panel this year to be a letdown compared to other years. All the big projects have either been already announced, under construction, or are near completion anyway.

CalebS

So, I dont remember which insider, but one insider had said that primeval whirl will close at the end of this year for a better new roller coaster build? Is this still true/possibility?

Parker41056

Going to be an exciting D23 but may not be as good as the last time around. Lots of capital was thrown around for the 50th anniversary. I think they still will have some exciting plans to roll out over the next 3-5 years. If I had to bet, I think we may see some of the following announced:

High Probability:
  • More Disney+ information including footage and original content (wishing for an Indiana Jones series)
  • Updated information regarding Star Wars Boutique hotel
  • Additional info on the Epcot refurb project including an attraction announcement for the Play Pavilion (Inside Out)
  • Spaceship Earth refurbishment news (Won't take two years)
  • Replacement announced for Lilo and Stitch as MK (Wreck it Ralph gets my vote) along with vision for Tomorrowland
  • Marvel land update at Disneyland including new details on Avengers Coaster and Spiderman attraction
  • Micky & Minnie Runaway Railway to DL and DLP.
  • Global updates on projects in queue (Frozen, Tangled, Peter Pan, etc..)
  • Guardians coaster Update

Medium Probability
  • DHS Animation Courtyard blue sky rendering and direction. Monster Inc land complete with a new Ride Go and seek to replace Disney Jr. and new doors themed coaster overlay to replace Rock N' Rollercoaster. (incredibles may also be used)
  • Indiana Jones 5 information along with a tie in attraction at DHS. I believe DHS will get something in addition to the stage show overall
  • Main Street theater has new life and re-announced for Magic Kingdom
  • Either a Coco or Mary Poppins attraction announced for Epcot
  • New table restaurant at Land of Pandora
  • Beauty and the Beast stage show replaced at DHS with another Disney IP (Aladdin, Frozen)
  • New quick service restaurant and other improvements at Toy Story Land

Low Probability
  • India Pavilion announced at Epcot with Jungle Book attraction using Shanghai Disney ride system
  • The Seas Pavilion gets a new facade (marine institute) possible secondary attraction
  • Zootopia Announced for DAK for their 2023 25 anniversary
  • Peter Pan Flight Flight refurb
  • light rail system added to connect DAK to EPCOT and DHS

3 Super long shots
  • I don't see it happening this cycle but would love to see the Shanghai Pirates version get implemented at MK along with the stunt show.
  • Lion King trackless dark ride attraction added to DAK. Screens and real life animatronics
  • Adventurland overhaul with Fire Mountain Coaster, ropes course and Moana stage show.

'Living in a Fantasy World' Prediction

Frontierland at MK to be replaced with a new Beast Kingdom Land. Land to have three attractions: a villians boat ride, a night time villians light show with fire, laser and green fog and a new E ticket (flight of Pandora clone) attraction where you fly around on the back of a dragon across beastly kingdom.

This was fun to just dream!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom