News Lightning McQueen's Racing Academy (New Show for 2019)

elaurian13

My family is going to be there on March 25th for my twins 5 year birthday. Is there a better than 0% chance there might be a soft opening then so my kids could experience it?

nickys

Premium Member
Define refurbished...

How about “switched to another IP, for example (but not limited to) Moana”?

In my mind, if they were thinking smart, they could already be rehearsing, building sets, and generally preparing for a new show. Then close and do the refurb required of the set whilst rehearsing in the actual theatre, to re-open in 6-8 weeks.

DS works in theatre and live events. One of his friends was over in Australia, where Mamma Mia was in it’s last few weeks. Meanwhile, whilst the theatre wasn’t open for an actual performance, the walls of the auditorium, public areas, backstage were all being prepped for Harry Potter - The Cursed Child. The team were pros at this, they’d already done the same over in NY, albeit not during a continuing run of a show. But a crazy amount of it could happen in those hours through the night and up until lunchtime each day, even while run through s were going on. I believe the timeframe was 8 weeks after Mamma Mia closed to opening for public previews.

jeffnheather

In my mind, if they were thinking smart, they could already be rehearsing, building sets, and generally preparing for a new show. Then close and do the refurb required of the set whilst rehearsing in the actual theatre, to re-open in 6-8 weeks.

DS works in theatre and live events. One of his friends was over in Australia, where Mamma Mia was in it’s last few weeks. Meanwhile, whilst the theatre wasn’t open for an actual performance, the walls of the auditorium, public areas, backstage were all being prepped for Harry Potter - The Cursed Child. The team were pros at this, they’d already done the same over in NY, albeit not during a continuing run of a show. But a crazy amount of it could happen in those hours through the night and up until lunchtime each day, even while run through s were going on. I believe the timeframe was 8 weeks after Mamma Mia closed to opening for public previews.
I like Voyage of the Little Mermaid (nostalgia & memories), but I LOVE the idea of Moana going in there!

ppete1975

I was wondering what turnaround would be to change a show like that (actually closed show building not behind the scenes like costumes). Ill be honest ive never cared to watch any of these, but that's because I'm bouncing everywhere trying to do everything else

I was wondering what turnaround would be to change a show like that (actually closed show building not behind the scenes like costumes). Ill be honest ive never cared to watch any of these, but that's because I'm bouncing everywhere trying to do everything else
I work in theatre, and my boyfriend’s a set designer, and many larger theaters can turn a show around in a matter of weeks. Rehearsals don’t take place in the theater until technical rehearsals. The set is often built offsite, and then loaded into the theater, as are the costumes. So while it is an six-eight week process to build all of the areas of the show, the previous show can close and strike their set for a couple days, the next show loads the set in for three or four days, and then you can bring actors in for technical rehearsals for four or five days. For example, my boyfriend just designed Mamma Mia which closes April 14, and Matilda which he’s also designing in the same theater starts previews April 26.
Obviously VoLM and BatB are more permanent productions, so the turn over would probably be a bit longer, even when closing down the show buildings. The eight week statistic for Cursed Child would probably be accurate here since the effects on that show are extensive, and I’m sure Imagineering would need to modernize the show buildings for a new show.

PorterRedkey

So many people keep thinking more attractions somehow attract less people... ;)

This is true to a certain point.

Star Wars, Toy Story, or Mickey Mouse fans will already be visiting the park because of the new additions themed to their IPs. How many people who would have otherwise not gone to DHS visit because they added a new show with McQueen? Maybe some, but the majority of people will have already decided to go (or not go) to DHS because of all the other recent additions including 3 new E-tickets. I don't think this addition will persuade them one way or another.

Unlike AK when it added Pandora, the park hadn't seen a major ride added to its lineup since Everest in 2006. Open a new land brought a lot of new people, who had skipped the park on some previous visits. This is not the case at DHS.

Next Big Thing

This is true to a certain point.

Star Wars, Toy Story, or Mickey Mouse fans will already be visiting the park because of the new additions themed to their IPs. How many people who would have otherwise not gone to DHS visit because they added a new show with McQueen? Maybe some, but the majority of people will have already decided to go (or not go) to DHS because of all the other recent additions including 3 new E-tickets. I don't think this addition will persuade them one way or another.

Unlike AK when it added Pandora, the park hadn't seen a major ride added to its lineup since Everest in 2006. Open a new land brought a lot of new people, who had skipped the park on some previous visits. This is not the case at DHS.
I'd argue the DHS hasn't seen a MAJOR ride since TSMM in 2008.

Slinky isn't anywhere near the level of any of the rides that DHS will see this year (hell, DHS hasn't gotten rides of this caliber since ToT). I understand your point though. DHS had a land open last year, whereas DAK was starved for years before Pandora.

PorterRedkey

I'd argue the DHS hasn't seen a MAJOR ride since TSMM in 2008.

Slinky isn't anywhere near the level of any of the rides that DHS will see this year (hell, DHS hasn't gotten rides of this caliber since ToT). I understand your point though. DHS had a land open last year, whereas DAK was starved for years before Pandora.
You’re right DHS needed help. To fair though, WDW hasn’t received a ride on the caliber of ToT since it was built. FoP is very cool, but it is no ToT.

TSL is a bit of a miss. The land was poorly executed and is not an addition I wanted. Although I hear Slinky is fun for what it is.

My point was that by the time the masses come for Galaxy’s Edge, DHS will have 3 more E-tickets (MMRR, MF:SR, and eventually RotR) plus the TSL additions and all there is to explore in The Black Spire Outpost.
If all these addition haven’t persuaded a guest to visit DHS, I don’t think a Lightning McQueen show will change their mind.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
You’re right DHS needed help. To fair though, WDW hasn’t received a ride on the caliber of ToT since it was built. FoP is very cool, but it is no ToT.

TSL is a bit of a miss. The land was poorly executed and is not an addition I wanted. Although I hear Slinky is fun for what it is.

The majority of the guests who voted with their queue attendance in excess of ToT's time disagree with your presumptions.

PorterRedkey

The majority of the guests who voted with their queue attendance in excess of ToT's time disagree with your presumptions.
New is new. People will flock to new additions. Plus the IP is incredibly popular.
There is nothing in TSL that compares to ToT in terms of scale, innovation, imagination, immersion, thrill, and story.

My point was TSL was poorly executed. The land hasn’t been open for a year and...
-the decorative Toy Story wallpaper in the TSM queue is falling off the wall.
-the gray “springs” on the SDD trains made of plastic are chipped and some are now shielded with a gray, temporary looking cover.
-Woody’s Lunch box tables have tears in their colorful covers, revealing bare gray metal.

Not to mention the land was built with no shade or an air-conditioned store/eating area/MnG for guest to cool off in.

If you want to talk lines compare Mater's wait times when it opened at DCA compared to Swirling Saucers wait times now.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
New is new. People will flock to new additions. Plus the IP is incredibly popular.
There is nothing in TSL that compares to ToT in terms of scale, innovation, imagination, immersion, thrill, and story.

My point was TSL was poorly executed. The land hasn’t been open for a year and...
-the decorative Toy Story wallpaper in the TSM queue is falling off the wall.
-the gray “springs” on the SDD trains made of plastic are chipped and some are now shielded with a gray, temporary looking cover.
-Woody’s Lunch box tables have tears in their colorful covers, revealing bare gray metal.

Not to mention the land was built with no shade or an air-conditioned store/eating area/MnG for guest to cool off in.

If you want to talk lines compare Mater's wait times when it opened at DCA compared to Swirling Saucers wait times now.

So where the guests were able to touch any non-concrete surface, they've been destructive that's the difference between ToT and TSL: guest interaction with non-concrete or non-metal surfaces. the ToT queue keeps the majority of the artifacts away from their grubby little hands...all except the vegetation, which you'll always see shredded in ToT's queue. The tops of the rails in the service elevator room are always worn.

You've been equating the quality of the rides' experiences but deflecting to the accouterments durability.

Surferboy567

My point was that by the time the masses come for Galaxy’s Edge, DHS will have 3 more E-tickets (MMRR, MF:SR, and eventually RotR) plus the TSL additions and all there is to explore in The Black Spire Outpost.
If all these addition haven’t persuaded a guest to visit DHS, I don’t think a Lightning McQueen show will change their mind.

While I’m sure galaxy’s edge will beat it FoP is my favorite theme park attraction I have ever ridden EVER.
TSL is while small enjoyable slinky is a lot faster then it looks and can be very fun. I very much enjoy the expanded queue of mania, and (this is seriously the best abbreviation for a Disney Attraction) is fun for kids...has a really nice lighting package.

PorterRedkey

So where the guests were able to touch any non-concrete surface, they've been destructive that's the difference between ToT and TSL: guest interaction with non-concrete or non-metal surfaces. the ToT queue keeps the majority of the artifacts away from their grubby little hands...all except the vegetation, which you'll always see shredded in ToT's queue. The tops of the rails in the service elevator room are always worn.

You've been equating the quality of the rides' experiences but deflecting to the accouterments durability.
My point was that the cheap materials they used in TSL didn’t last a year. I didn’t even mention the plastic fencing or the SDD tails that needed to be replaced.
The land tried to cut corners wherever it could and now the lack quality materials and the poor planning are showing. People in the TSM queue didn’t rip the wallpaper down from the top of the wall. Regardless, any properly planned land should anticipate that guest exposed areas will wear quickly if built on the cheap.

You were the one who equated long lines for an attraction that hasn’t been open for a year with the quality of the ride. We’ll see if SDD has the staying power that ToT has.

If you insist we’ll compare ToT with TSL’s most popular ride, SDD.

SDD is a cute, decorated, fun, exposed steel, rollercoaster. It has no preshow, no theme queue, a weak storyline and no special effects.

ToT is well-themed, thrilling, attraction with a great story, quality preshow, themed queue, trackless vehicles, peppers ghosts, imbedded lighting effects and an incredible facade.

I am not sure how the two compare.

PorterRedkey

While I’m sure galaxy’s edge will beat it FoP is my favorite theme park attraction I have ever ridden EVER.
TSL is while small enjoyable slinky is a lot faster then it looks and can be very fun. I very much enjoy the expanded queue of mania, and *** (this is seriously the best abbreviation for a Disney Attraction) is fun for kids...has a really nice lighting package.
I am really glad you enjoy it so much!!! I think is is great as well. It’s the subtle little things that make it so amazing. FoP does so many things right!

For me though, no ride where I sit in front of the screen, will ever be my favorite.

I’ll take you word on SDD. I am sure it will be fun, but so is Mystic Timbers at King’s Island. I can ride fun, lightly themed coaster with exposed track/supports anywhere in the world.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom