Mickey and Minnie’s Runaway Railway - Disneyland

shortstop

I’ve always sided with @MisterPenguin in the bantha debate - I just don’t see those creatures being suitable for a PM style attraction.

However, maybe something has been lost in translation this whole time. It appears the skiff used on Tatooine in RotJ is called a “bantha skiff”. Maybe this was what the ride was to be based on.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I’ve always sided with @MisterPenguin in the bantha debate - I just don’t see those creatures being suitable for a PM style attraction.

However, maybe something has been lost in translation this whole time. It appears the skiff used on Tatooine in RotJ is called a “bantha skiff”. Maybe this was what the ride was to be based on.

Good point, could be.

wityblack

We did get this early concept art, seems to have guests in them.

Rich T

Well... we don't know what Chapek was saying about that explicitly... or does someone know a link?

It could be a description of streetmosphere with CMs in it. Because, as a ride, the impracticality of if it is mind-boggling.
I wouldn’t be at all surprised if something like this was considered for an upcharge attraction for the most gullib—er—die hard SW fans with lots of disposable income. “A once in a lifetime Star Wars experience you and your children will cherish forever !”* *Extra fee required :D

(Edit) As a bonus, you get to take home “space fleas.”

socalifornian

Well... we don't know what Chapek was saying about that explicitly... or does someone know a link?

It could be a description of streetmosphere with CMs in it. Because, as a ride, the impracticality of if it is mind-boggling.

“As you explore this new planet, each experience will literally be out of this world. Like this big fellow up here. It really is incredible. Simply stepping foot into this land is going to be amazing”

Rich T

I’m hoping that they have a Jar Jar walk around character intentionally placed to be booed and razzed until it slinks away— Kind of like the SF Giants’ Crazy Crab.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
“As you explore this new planet, each experience will literally be out of this world. Like this big fellow up here. It really is incredible. Simply stepping foot into this land is going to be amazing”

Well, then, that's not at all close to saying that that is a ride.

I'm starting to suspect that even our best insiders had this wrong because the ones who passed on the info to them had it wrong. IOW, there was never a real bantha ride ever. Now, a PeopleMover that was not bantha based... that could have been a thing at one point.

chadwpalm

In the Parks
No
Well, then, that's not at all close to saying that that is a ride.

I'm starting to suspect that even our best insiders had this wrong because the ones who passed on the info to them had it wrong. IOW, there was never a real bantha ride ever. Now, a PeopleMover that was not bantha based... that could have been a thing at one point.

Here's the history as I remember it. MiceAge came out with an article in January of 2015 that mostly broke the news about the details of the land. Here's the link: https://www.micechat.com/118668-disneyland-phantom-menace/

From the article:
While big E Tickets and an efficient timeline on major projects is appreciated by Disneyland fans, a few of Chapek’s other demands are not as customer friendly. The third attraction in Star Wars land, an internal transportation system of sorts, was cut from the budget recently after Chapek demanded cost savings. WDI was sent scrambling to find a way to put it back into the project as it was designed to bring kinetic energy to the sprawling land much like the Red Car Trolley brings energy to Buena Vista Street, but Chapek won’t budge on his budget mandates and something else will need to be cut in order for the third attraction to survive.

It talks about a 3rd transportation attraction, but never says it was a Bantha ride. Then eight months later at D23, Chapek shows the Bantha image. Is it the same attraction? Why would info about it being cut eight months early surface, but Chapek still show the image?

The most detailed information for all of this came out July 25th, 2017 from Jim Hill at the Disney Dish podcast. Here is an article talking about that Podcast: https://www.slashfilm.com/third-star-wars-land-ride-bantha/

According to Hill, this attraction would have been a callback to the Pack Mules Through Nature’s Wonderland that closed at Disneyland decades ago. The ride would allow you to board a transportation mount on the back of a huge Bantha, which you probably remember as the giant elephant-sized creature with a long furry tail which was native to the planet of Tatooine. To accomplish this, Imagineering was going to employ a trackless ride system inside the animatronic Bantha vehicles.

Guests would have to board the Banthas from an elevated platform, boarding a cage (fitting 12-16 people at a time) that was in the back of the Bantha. The attraction would depart from the heart of this outpost city, with a local alien salesman selling the ride to tourists. The Bantha ride would take passengers from the heart of the city, out into the hills overlooking the Resistance base and back through the city back towards the First Order occupation of the east side of the world before dropping you back in the heart of the city.

He seems to confirm the 3rd attraction was the Bantha ride. I kinda remember reading somewhere that the system was going to be really expensive because it would simulate the Bantha actually walking around. The details of how many Banthas, how the ride system works, and where it goes was never revealed (unless Hill does say and it wasn't in the article....I haven't listened to the actual podcast. Maybe I'll do that now).

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Here's the history as I remember it. MiceAge came out with an article in January of 2015 that mostly broke the news about the details of the land. Here's the link: https://www.micechat.com/118668-disneyland-phantom-menace/

From the article:

It talks about a 3rd transportation attraction, but never says it was a Bantha ride. Then eight months later at D23, Chapek shows the Bantha image. Is it the same attraction? Why would info about it being cut eight months early surface, but Chapek still show the image?

The most detailed information for all of this came out July 25th, 2017 from Jim Hill at the Disney Dish podcast. Here is an article talking about that Podcast: https://www.slashfilm.com/third-star-wars-land-ride-bantha/

He seems to confirm the 3rd attraction was the Bantha ride. I kinda remember reading somewhere that the system was going to be really expensive because it would simulate the Bantha actually walking around. The details of how many Banthas, how the ride system works, and where it goes was never revealed (unless Hill does say and it wasn't in the article....I haven't listened to the actual podcast. Maybe I'll do that now).

Oy vey. It was Hill's.

🙄

SuddenStorm

In the relatively short time I've been on this forum it has always shocked me how quickly and easily threads will get off topic. It happens every single time without fail.

To be fair, most of these threads are 50+ pages- some are in the hundreds. Tough to have a 100% on topic discussion all the time, and I prefer that a new thread doesn't get made for every little tangent discussion.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom