News Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge - Historical Construction/Impressions

SuddenStorm

FJ has problems, but Hogwarts express is the true champion. That’s real theme park boundary pushing magic.

I wasn't a fan of Forbidden Journey- I thought the queue was phenomenal, but the actual ride was lackluster. The screens were obviously fake, and the physical effects were lackluster- a wiggling dementor on a stick, an extreme close up of the Chamber of Secrets, didn't really capture the Harry Potter "magic" for me. Everything on the actual ride was an extreme close up, didn't let me take in the size and scope of Hogwarts and it's locations.

mickEblu

I wasn't a fan of Forbidden Journey- I thought the queue was phenomenal, but the actual ride was lackluster. The screens were obviously fake, and the physical effects were lackluster- a wiggling dementor on a stick, an extreme close up of the Chamber of Secrets, didn't really capture the Harry Potter "magic" for me. Everything on the actual ride was an extreme close up, didn't let me take in the size and scope of Hogwarts and it's locations.

Exactly my thoughts. Based off what I know about the attraction, I think I would enjoy Gringotts more.

BrianLo

Original Poster
Am I imagining things or did you previously prefer to Gringotts to FJ?

Nope. My hate for Gringotts is legendary. I expected Shanghai Pirates on a roller coaster and got Drupercharger salvaged only by the fact Potter isn’t a complete joke of a franchise.

Gringotts is neither a good roller coaster or simulator. It doesn’t represent the reality of the books or movies.

The story is non-sensical Universal “watch out and oh noes”. Complete with a brain dead congratulations at the end.

The characters pontificate at you statically from screens barking akward exposition. There is terrible screen to set integration. There is no transitional elements between half the scenes... you just pull away from Voldemort staring at you awkwardly. There hardly is physical scenes to begin with. You wear friggen 3D glasses on a ‘roller coaster’.

The pacing is beyond godawful. For being a ‘roller coaster’ you spend the majority of time parked in front of an imax screen not moving.

The actual best part of the attraction is the queue and the first 30 seconds of the ride.

Full caveat - I haven’t been back on it since 2014. I anticipate Hargrid’s way too longly named magical voyage with creatures in the forbidden forest on his motorbike to be the ride I always wanted Gringotts to be.

mickEblu

Nope. My hate for Gringotts is legendary. I expected Shanghai Pirates on a roller coaster and got Drupercharger salvaged only by the fact Potter isn’t a complete joke of a franchise.

Gringotts is neither a good roller coaster or simulator. It doesn’t represent the reality of the books or movies.

The story is non-sensical Universal “watch out and oh noes”. Complete with a brain dead congratulations at the end.

The characters pontificate at you statically from screens barking akward exposition. There is terrible screen to set integration. There is no transitional elements between half the scenes... you just pull away from Voldemort staring at you awkwardly. There hardly is physical scenes to begin with. You wear friggen 3D glasses on a ‘roller coaster’.

The pacing is beyond godawful. For being a ‘roller coaster’ you spend the majority of time parked in front of an imax screen not moving.

The actual best part of the attraction is the queue and the first 30 seconds of the ride.

Full caveat - I haven’t been back on it since 2014. I anticipate Hargrid’s way too longly named magical voyage with creatures in the forbidden forest on his motorbike to be the ride I always wanted Gringotts to be.

Hahah ok wasn’t you. Through time I must have reversed it. I thought it was FJ you didn’t like. It sounds horrible. Going down into those caves on a roller coaster could have been a great experience. Too bad.

Hagrids sounds awesome.

The Mur

Of the Potter stuff I rank it as follows:
FJ Queue
Diagon Alley physical space
Hogsmeade physical space
Hogwart's Express
Gringotts
FJ (just underwhelming)

When I was UO in November, cast members were clapping when you returned to station on Gringotts to get some applause; nothing from anyone on the ride.

Now they are still head a shoulders better than a lot of other UO stuff (Fast and Furious and Fallon) so a visit is always enjoyable.

In IOA Spiderman is still way better than FJ.

George Lucas on a Bench

Spider-Man is better, but FJ kicks the crap out of Gringott. It's all screens and it doesn't even offer a thrilling coaster ride. So what is it? A pile of junk. Someone once described it to me like a cross between FJ and The Mummy. Both of those feature actual scenes with props, thrilling rides, robots etc. Gringott just spins you and parks you next to screens.

socalifornian

I posted this in the “who is Hondo” thread but thought I’d post this here as this thread has more traction. Curious to hear some thoughts of real Star Wars fans...

I feel that Disney using Hondo in the Falcon ride is a nod to a cross section of Millennials and diehard Star Wars fans. Basically the only people who appreciate his existence/ know who he is. It’s a move saying “yes we re Disney, but our portrayal of the Star Wars universe won’t only be ultra commercial and here is an example of us highlighting an obscure character.”

As a Star Wars nerd it does feel like that. A lot of the fandom is furious about what Disney’s done, so throwing in a character that originates from a project that Lucas himself was involved in feels like what you’re saying.

I’m not even sure what Hondo would be doing with the Millenium Falcon. Doesn’t feel right aside from Han and Hondo both being outlaws, they don’t know each other to my knowledge unless the comics have changed things. When Han hasn’t had it, the movies have told us who did. And as a Disney Parks fan they should’ve stuck to the bigger characters, it should be Han in there. But having said that, any further distractions from sequel characters are welcome

Animaniac93-98

Having seen both about 6 months apart, I think I might prefer Amity* over Diagon Alley/Gringotts. Jaws was/is the better ride for sure.

*I don't remember if Amity in Orlando had any major differences vs what's in Japan

fctiger

Note to self: Skip Gringotts when I make it back to UO one day. ;)

fctiger

Tue, March 12, 2019
Special Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge Panel Unveiled for Star Wars Celebration Chicago
by Thomas Smith, Editorial Content Director, Disney Parks

Star Wars fans – Walt Disney Imagineering and members of Lucasfilm will be sharing new details and stories about Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge during a special panel announced for the upcomingStar Wars Celebration Chicago event.

On Saturday, April 13, the “Bringing Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge to Life at Disney Parks,” panel will feature a revealing discussion about the immersive land and how guests can live their own Star Wars story when Star Wars:Galaxy’s Edge opens on May 31 at Disneyland Resort in Southern California and August 29 at Disney’s Hollywood Studios in Florida. There might just be a few surprises during the session, too!

If you were one of the many Disney Parks Blog readers who enjoyed last week’s Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge announcements, then Star Wars Celebration is a must-do event. It’s the ultimate fan experience focused on a galaxy far, far away. From April 11-15, fans from all over the world will gather at Star Wars Celebration Chicago for announcements, immersive exhibits, exclusive merchandise, autograph sessions and more.

While we wait for the “Bringing Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge to Life at Disney Parks,” panel, you can keep up to date on all things Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge with our exclusive “Building Batuu” story series and new page dedicated to Star Warsat Disney Parks.

Keep checking the Disney Parks Blog for updates on Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge at Disneyland Resort in Southern California and Disney’s Hollywood Studios in Florida.

Great!! I knew this was going to happen and suggest this would happen a few weeks ago on this page. TBH we probably already know the big stuff thanks to all the big press reports last week but I'm still excited to see what they will bring up and what 'surprises' they may have.

I know after TLJ and Solo Star Wars is sort of hurting right now but I'm still super excited about the future of the franchise and can't wait to finally see the trailer for Episode 9, probably a trailer for the Mandalorian show and yes more Galaxy Edge info!! And who knows, they may even announce new movies after Episode 9 too. Going to be a fun weekend.

The Grand Inquisitor

As a Star Wars nerd it does feel like that. A lot of the fandom is furious about what Disney’s done, so throwing in a character that originates from a project that Lucas himself was involved in feels like what you’re saying.

I’m not even sure what Hondo would be doing with the Millenium Falcon. Doesn’t feel right aside from Han and Hondo both being outlaws, they don’t know each other to my knowledge unless the comics have changed things. When Han hasn’t had it, the movies have told us who did. And as a Disney Parks fan they should’ve stuck to the bigger characters, it should be Han in there. But having said that, any further distractions from sequel characters are welcome
The thing is Han is dead. Whether you like it or not Han wasn't going to be part of the ride. Harrison wanted to do only 1 movie then to be killed off. Harrison didn't even do the Indy ride at Disneyland what makes you think he would've wanted to do this ride.

mickEblu

The thing is Han is dead. Whether you like it or not Han wasn't going to be part of the ride. Harrison wanted to do only 1 movie then to be killed off. Harrison didn't even do the Indy ride at Disneyland what makes you think he would've wanted to do this ride.

That’s a decent point. Although the Wicked Witch is dead. She died in the movie and on the attraction and yet every time I ride Snow White, there she is.

mickEblu

Agreed. But I had never bothered looking at video for Gringotts or Hogwarts Express. I did after reading these comments

Underwhelmed, is about the best I can say.

I’ve never been. Of course, opinions are subjective but I think saying “are you going to listen to people on an internet fan forum?” isn’t really a fair assessment of most of the folks who contribute to this forum.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom