News Tower of Terror to operate at reduced capacity due to an extended refurbishment

tissandtully

I have a 4K OLED in my home and the blacks are comparable to Flight of Passage. These are commercially available, this isn't something that should be unattainable.
True but the nature of OLED, especially consumer OLED is burn-in, I'd like to see FoP screens in another year to see what's going on with them.

Floyd M

There's an update on another site indicating the period of reduced capacity actually started two days ago, on the 18th. Wait-time charts for the past two days seem to show an uptick in standby lines. I know mid-May has been mentioned in this thread as a possible start time for the refurbishment (and February 18th certainly seems early for "Spring") so I was wondering if anyone can confirm that the period of reduced capacity has in fact already started... and, if not, provide a more accurate estimate of when it might start? Thanks.

SoFloMagic

There's an update on another site indicating the period of reduced capacity actually started two days ago, on the 18th. Wait-time charts for the past two days seem to show an uptick in standby lines. I know mid-May has been mentioned in this thread as a possible start time for the refurbishment (and February 18th certainly seems early for "Spring") so I was wondering if anyone can confirm that the period of reduced capacity has in fact already started... and, if not, provide a more accurate estimate of when it might start? Thanks.
Both sides were open today. Lines were crazy everywhere with NY schools on break

renansimoes

-E: 3rd set of exterior doors do not open and top set is slow to open and stays open when it first opens until the last time the doors close

As far as I remember, the top doors at E&F opens when it has to open and it stays open until the end of the profile. When you see these doors closing it means the drop profile finished.

-Summer Nightastic Profile is re-added, it is the same length as the other profiles

THIS! For me, this is the best profile since tower 2.

Last edited:

Model3 McQueen

In the Parks
No
Would anybody contest to them adding in another profile to mimic what was at ToT DCA?

Small Drop - Small Drop - Ascend to top - small drop, big drop - ascend then immediate drop - slow ascend, gain momentum - loiter at top - last big drop - end.

Would this profile even match the ride time in the drop shaft?

The Pho

Really? Okay!

Some of those broken things include:

I have watched a few livestreams this week of the Tower of Terror and I believe that neither are profile locked unless Foxtrot is profile locked on Fear Every Drop.
Here is all of the missing or messed up things on the ToT currently that I have seen:
A-Alpha B-Bravo C-Charlie D- Delta E-Echo F-Foxtrot
-A&B: Incorrectly timed ding
-Fake door close sound/"drone" is incorrectly timed on A,B and C. All are too quiet and the ding sound effect is quiet as well compared to videos of Tower1.
-"Tease" sound when entering E is MIA
-All: Front facing wall light strobes in hallway scene are disabled
-F&E: Strobes on VVC do not work
-F&E: Most lightning strobes do not work besides the ones on the 5D level
-Sign strobes and static sound effect to accompany it do not work(A video of a camera person standing on the sign platformed proved the sound effect was still present in Tower4)
-E: 3rd set of exterior doors do not open and top set is slow to open and stays open when it first opens until the last time the doors close
-Both 5D's: Eyeball effect uses stock image
-E: Many speakers are messed up at unloading level, including the one which gives the exit spiel(It currently sounds very muffled)
-Both 5D's: Starfield door's line shows up dim before it is supposed to show and the stars shut off abruptly
-F&E: Motion Delay. Foxtrot has about a 3 second delay behind in motion while Echo's is about 0.5-1 second behind.
-Sound. This is a big problem. A,B,C, and D all are missing the "audio skipper"(I call it this), which "skips" forward in the BGM to the bell part when the doors open at the hallway scene(this is the reason why the hallway scene is not in sync), and the audio levels for all of them are different. A&B have a louder voice but quieter BGM while C&D have a quieter voice and louder BGM. In E the dialogue when you enter the drop shaft sounds very loud and is cracking. F&E are a mixed bag on audio levels for the drop profiles, sometimes the shaft audio is loud and the VVC audio is quiet, sometimes the shaft audio is quiet and the VVC audio is loud, sometimes both are quiet, and sometimes both are loud.
-Library and Boiler Room problems listed in the watch thread.

Here is what I hope is done during the refurbishment:
-All of the issues I listed above
-Summer Nightastic Profile is re-added, it is the same length as the other profiles
-More lighting effects for the drop profiles(Such as making the wall lights in the VVC work again, lightning effects added to the VVC, and green lights at the top used more)
-Better way to time the 5th Dimension transition audio to start. It currently starts checking to play it when the hallway scene doors are about halfway closed. I think they should make it either A. Check once the window shatters and if it the audio starts up late, it should play a shortened version, or B. Make it so it always starts playing when the doors start closing but have it slightly vary in length(IE making the "suspenseful" part a few seconds longer) if there is a hold up. But not the way how Tower2/Early Tower3 handled it. The way how Tower1/Tower1.5 did it was fine.
-Have the ready to dispatch light on the operator panel come on 3-5 seconds later. The current way it is timed makes it so if the CM sends it right when it comes on, the transition audio to the 5th dimension scene doesn't play until about 1 second after the doors fully close on the hallway scene, which causes for the very awkward silence and messed up beginning of the 5th dimension scene.
-Have the exterior sign sparks work again, but only when the mist is active, possibly adding some more misters below the sign.
-Redo the movement system for the AGV's where instead of a wire, there could be a colored line on the floor for a camera or sensor(s) to follow and if it gets slightly off, it will try to find the line again instead of stopping completely. Also the rollers should be made softer/bigger or like tires, or a ramp should connect the VVC to the 5th dimension so when the AGV gets in/out of the shaft it is much smoother.
-The fog effect for the 5th dimension should be relooked into and see if there is a way to have it without fogging up the glass(Maybe having them plastic instead of glass).
-When the "tease" sound plays when entering the drop shaft, there should be a big rush of wind onto the riders, I think this would help enhance that effect.

Rodj

Would anybody contest to them adding in another profile to mimic what was at ToT DCA?

Small Drop - Small Drop - Ascend to top - small drop, big drop - ascend then immediate drop - slow ascend, gain momentum - loiter at top - last big drop - end.

Would this profile even match the ride time in the drop shaft?
When you were there, did you get the profile that had the glass shattering projection play near the end? This profile is the closest to the DCA/Paris profile. However the time of the profile at the DCA/Paris tower was much longer than the time of the DHS profiles, plus that motion would probably mimic the DHS profile too much that I mentioned that it wouldn't be worth it.

Model3 McQueen

In the Parks
No
When you were there, did you get the profile that had the glass shattering projection play near the end? This profile is the closest to the DCA/Paris profile. However the time of the profile at the DCA/Paris tower was much longer than the time of the DHS profiles, plus that motion would probably mimic the DHS profile too much that I mentioned that it wouldn't be worth it.

I don't remember that effect. The second time was kind of plain, but the first profile there was a very faint strobe light on a manikin looking ghost figure near the bottom of the shaft.. (if i'm not imagining things) this actually creeped me out, but up to that point I was a little disappointed with the lower volume of the courtyard music and all narration outside of the pre-show. I couldn't hear anything!

I see what you mean, DHS's drop profiles do feel shorter but I wasn't sure. Thanks!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom