News Guardians of the Galaxy Cosmic Rewind attraction confirmed for Epcot

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
You clearly don’t understand the points being made or how attractions, or even basic buildings, are developed. The interiors come last, not first.
Ever consider that maybe that's what's wrong with Disney today? They take a ride concept and slap theming on it, when in the days of yore, the Imagineers developed a ride concept, then designed a ride system to best showcase their concept...

Am I the only one that wishes there was another thread for Guardians of the Galaxy Construction progress so we didn't have to read the same people argue over and over again about whether the sightlines bother you.
Well, an attraction's footprint and appearance are -- rather, used to be -- key considerations in the ride experience. Some people are hung up over highly subjective concepts like "aesthetics."

DanielBB8

When actual innovation is no longer reflected in the building, it’s increasingly ridiculous to insist such aesthetics matters. Today’s library is increasingly online. eBooks are preferred over books. More communities have dissolved their libraries and book collections. Certainly a shame, but the truth. Symbolically, there’s a functional reason to build Guardians that way. It can’t resemble a known object for it has to transcend time and place.
Well now you know.

At least they used to when they were designed.
What the glass pyramids symbolized for Imagination doesn’t get filtered down even in abstraction.

The shape of Egyptian pyramids is thought to represent the primordial mound from which the Egyptians believed the earth was created. The shape of a pyramid is thought to be representative of the descending rays of the sun, and most pyramids were faced with polished, highly reflective.

Because of its shape, any energy that enters the pyramid has the ability to be cleansed and purified. Almost like the pyramid acts like a filter of sorts. This is because pyramids are said to generate negative ions which can balance the body’s electromagnetic field and deliver healing.

By sitting inside a pyramid, it is believed that your energy centers can be balanced and it becomes easier to receive messages from your intuition and higher beings. Your aura can also be recharged and can appear much brighter.

yensidtlaw1969

When actual innovation is no longer reflected in the building, it’s increasingly ridiculous to insist such aesthetics matters. Today’s library is increasingly online. eBooks are preferred over books. More communities have dissolved their libraries and book collections. Certainly a shame, but the truth. Symbolically, there’s a functional reason to build Guardians that way. It can’t resemble a known object for it has to transcend time and place.

What the glass pyramids symbolized for Imagination doesn’t get filtered down even in abstraction.

The shape of Egyptian pyramids is thought to represent the primordial mound from which the Egyptians believed the earth was created. The shape of a pyramid is thought to be representative of the descending rays of the sun, and most pyramids were faced with polished, highly reflective.
Because of its shape, any energy that enters the pyramid has the ability to be cleansed and purified. Almost like the pyramid acts like a filter of sorts. This is because pyramids are said to generate negative ions which can balance the body’s electromagnetic field and deliver healing.

By sitting inside a pyramid, it is believed that your energy centers can be balanced and it becomes easier to receive messages from your intuition and higher beings. Your aura can also be recharged and can appear much brighter.
Yep, nothing in that quote even remotely works as a metaphor for the imagination. The mound from which all things are created, giving light, a cleansing and purifying filter, recharging, brightening, opening intuition . . . nothing like imagination at all.[/SARCASM]

I'm done getting into it with you, we're clogging up the thread and you clearly don't get what we're discussing. It sounds like you'd be happier if Epcot took more design cues from industrial park and can't see why or how the bar used to be so, so much higher. It's not like they couldn't have built warehouses in 1982 if they had wanted.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
When actual innovation is no longer reflected in the building, it’s increasingly ridiculous to insist such aesthetics matters.
Innovation not being reflected in the building was a choice that was made. It did not happen on its own. The experience of visiting a Disney park takes place just as much outdoors as indoors. It is far more than simply walking into a building that was built to strictly house that which it contains and nothing more.

Haunted Mansion would still be enjoyable as an attraction if it was just a nondescript building you entered. But having the facade of the mansion and the graveyard sets the tone before you even get inside. It enhances what you experience. Even after exiting the ride, outdoor theming continues.

Ripken10

not sure where you are getting your statistics, but every report I have seen shows eBook sales declining. eBooks hit a high in 2016 with number sold, but have been declining since. Moreover, revenue made on actual books is far greater (last stat I saw showed actual books making about 70% of the profit and eBooks 30%). Regular books are not going anywhere, and even if they did, e-books wouldn't survive as they are today. But off topics...

DanielBB8

I'm done getting into it with you, we're clogging up the thread and you clearly don't get what we're discussing. It sounds like you'd be happier if Epcot took more design cues from industrial park and can't see why or how the bar used to be so, so much higher. It's not like they couldn't have built warehouses in 1982 if they had wanted.
I would be happier if the pretense of an a themed concept is no longer pursued. Epcot would be more successful as a traditional theme park, then such theming of buildings make more sense. How many times do I have to say this as well?

DanielBB8

not sure where you are getting your statistics, but every report I have seen shows eBook sales declining. eBooks hit a high in 2016 with number sold, but have been declining since. Moreover, revenue made on actual books is far greater (last stat I saw showed actual books making about 70% of the profit and eBooks 30%). Regular books are not going anywhere, and even if they did, e-books wouldn't survive as they are today. But off topics...
Where did I use statistics? I was referencing libraries. Okay, so you don’t like I said ebooks are preferred. I’ll concede on this point only. Off topic.

Kman101

Wow. I mean, wow. I am just....... WOW. Holy cow!. Now we know why Iger is doing what he is doing to Epcot. The original intent of Epcot Center is now officially lost on 99% of the population.

You can't really blame the current guests. Disney has done a poor job with Epcot for decades now. Of course, many could and should research the park they're visiting. If it were me and I were new, I'd be all over it. I was once, and really appreciate what the intent was and what used to be. I still want some of that back even if I don't remember all of it. But I'm not everybody. Disney has done a poor job explaining and defining Epcot. The real problem people have now is that the bandaids were ripped off.

DanielBB8

Yep, nothing in that quote even remotely works as a metaphor for the imagination. The mound from which all things are created, giving light, a cleansing and purifying filter, recharging, brightening, opening intuition . . . nothing like imagination at all.[/SARCASM]

So you got me thinking. Am I wrong for suggesting the pyramids are not symbol for imagination? Here’s an article that distinguishes between intuition (pyramids) and imagination (Figment).

“Both intuition and imagination help us to acquire knowledge. Imagination allows us to obtain knowledge through the formation of concepts, images and sensations in our mind. Intuition obtains knowledge about a particular situation without necessarily having anything on which to base this acquisition.”

Imagination might need Intuition, but Intuition does not need Imagination. So getting from the pyramids to imagination is more steps. You’re alluding to the quote as a metaphor for imagination. That’s certainly true, but who will know that. So Epcot calls the pyramid building Imagination or it has an imagination attraction. If they say so...

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Weren't you the one who was arguing that they had followed them?

In a themed environment -- even one that's themed in a unique way, like Future World -- such a large, looming, unthemed box is inexcusable. That's the crux of it. Whether it bothers you personally or not is basically immaterial, it's not good work.

Here's the real test -- as guests, do we want to see Disney build more bare, blank buildings like this, or less?

Remember when Disney went back and added rockwork to the corner of Enchanted Tales with Belle after New Fantasyland opened because they noticed guests could see a corner of the showbuilding?

06-new-fl-wall3.jpg

01-mk-new-fantasyland-walls-2.jpg

(PS: This is a really good example of where Go-Away Green works, because it's trying to make a sliver of building blend into the space around it -- and even THEN they went to the trouble of adding more rockwork after the area had opened officially, because it didn't meet their standard.)

They could and should have done better.
This is a very good example and it’s fairly recent so not just the “old school”Disney doing things right. I brought this up earlier but it got buried in a series of back and forth posts. I am not telling anyone what to do, but I personally am holding out hope that there is some plan to “hide” at least part of the building and clean up some of the viewing issues from inside the park. They can’t just leave this thing as is. Well, they can but I don’t see why they would. If they went out of their way to hide a sliver of a show building from next to some restrooms they won’t just leave this exposed building. And I don’t buy this whole idea that the rules don’t apply to EPCOT. It would be poor show. If they want to leave the building visible it would have to be themed to fit the look of Future World...not a big blue box.

Before anyone replies I know I’m being overly optimistic. If they leave this as is I will sadly come back and admit I was wrong and take up a pitch fork with you guys.

lazyboy97o

The building is too big, too visible, unobscured except from immediately in front of the old Energy building.
Even this is more because the gravity building isn’t behind the existing pavilion. It is visable behind Wonders of Life, although East Future World is probably the place where it is best obscured [by trees]. The launch tunnel is also undermining any effectiveness of the blue panels.

Ever consider that maybe that's what's wrong with Disney today? They take a ride concept and slap theming on it, when in the days of yore, the Imagineers developed a ride concept, then designed a ride system to best showcase their concept...
I would definitely agree that Disney, and even the industry at large, has an issue with viewing “theming” as something that is just applied, I don’t think it entirely relates to the issue of show sets taking advantage of a fast-track process. It’s not that there isn’t a concept when an attraction starts construction, it is that there is a huge gap between having a concept and having construction documents and shop drawings. While a facility is being constructed, entire scene will be radically revised and even replaced. This is why so many attractions don’t match up to early descriptions. It also nothing new and occurring during the construction of every Disney park.

trainplane3

Unfortunately the ride is happening. Unfortunately the gravity building and its ugliness attracts a lot of attention. Those are facts. Can we possibly move the discussion to the content of the actual ride now? We still have 2 years to go, but still....its getting tiresome on here.
That's the hilarious part. It's taking 4 years to build this thing. Meanwhile up the road, they tore down two coasters (or count them as one) and are building a thematically fitting ride featuring a dual drop setup, changing directions, and AA show scenes. In half the time it's taking to build this. I'm hoping this feels like a 4 year project when it opens.

Speaking of it, @marni1971, do you think the HP ride is going to live up to the hype (from what you heard)?

sedati

It's an attractive and well-conceived building, but, without already knowing its purpose, no-one looking at it is likely to associate its design with imagination.
I thought the glass pyramids were a holdover from the previous design of the land pavilion which included even more ambitious glass structures that would have housed house biomes. The glass shapes were meant to evoke geodes I believe.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I thought the glass pyramids were a holdover from the previous design of the land pavilion which included even more ambitious glass structures that would have housed house biomes. The glass shapes were meant to evoke geodes I believe.
Evolution / developed upon as opposed to holdover.

Baxter took a technically unfeasable design and worked it into a possible one.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom