1st Disney Cruise! Heck, my 1st cruise EVER!

raymusiccity

Wow, that escalated quickly :(

Didn't mean for it to escalate anything. I'd just trust Disney as a source when it comes to something so expensive as a cruise. I'll just quote an example of advice that could lead you to disappointment if you didn't double check it for accuracy:

"For dinner you will be assigned a dining rotation and it will either be early, 6:15, or late, 8:15. You will receive your rotation and seating time about a month before your cruise when they mail you your cruise booklet."

Disney asked me months ago if I was traveling with small children and recommended the early seating.

:)

Tiggerish

Resident Redhead
Premium Member
Wow, Platinum. I remember when you were such a noob. :D LOL. And yes, "free" Palo is my favorite perk. It makes a 3-night/4-night back-to-back that much more fun.

I know, right? Although I know people who've made it to Platinum even quicker than I did!

Again, I agree. On your first cruise, you don't want to miss any of the rotational restaurants. And while Remy was a truly amazing experience, I'm not sure I loved it enough to pay the new higher charge for it. So do all three rotational restaurants, and try Palo brunch on Nassau day. (And yes, totally ditch the kids for Palo.)

I did Remy dinner once. I'm not sorry I did it, but I didn't find it as good a value as Palo dinner, and the service was a bit over the top for me. Remy brunch, on the other hand, I would do every single cruise--for the price it was. Much as I love it, not sure I would cough up the new cost, considering that I always do the Champagne pairing. Palo is still worth it, even with the $10 increase (I mean brunch, of course--I don't have to pay for dinner anymore! :D) OR, maybe I apply my free Palo dinner to the new cost of Remy brunch and call it a wash. 🤔

I think it's the "Art of the Theme Show" tour. It's also available on Embarkation Day. I've done the tour on all four ships. It's totally worth it, both for the information on the tour and as a quick tour of the ship.

Yep, that's it. I did it on Embarkation Day on my very first cruise. Entertaining, informative, and as you say, a great way to get the "lay of the land" onboard.

Is Golden Mickeys back on the Dream? When we cruised in April 2018, we saw the last show before it went on "hiatus". I really hope it's back, since it's my favorite show.

Golden Mickeys was gone from the Dream? :eek: Last year's girls cruise was on the Fantasy (hello, Grand Slam!!) so I didn't know. I'll be 💔 heartbroken if it's gone. I :inlove: that show.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Golden Mickeys was gone from the Dream? :eek: Last year's girls cruise was on the Fantasy (hello, Grand Slam!!) so I didn't know. I'll be 💔 heartbroken if it's gone. I :inlove: that show.

It's back. Finally saw it on our last cruise.

ChuckElias

Didn't mean for it to escalate anything.
I didn't really think you were being hostile. It was just a quick trip from 7 pages of really helpful advice and experience to "don't trust a forum". And who can turn down an Anchorman reference?? :D

I'd just trust Disney as a source when it comes to something so expensive as a cruise.
Most of the time, that's probably a reasonable policy. But having worked closely with DCL phone agents for several years, I've come to realize that they don't necessarily provide correct information, either. A forum like this one (especially with so many VERY experienced DCL cruisers -- not to mention very experienced travel agents from KK and elsewhere) is invaluable to newer cruisers. Not all forums are created equal, I'm sure, but this is a terrific place to get accurate information; because if I say something that's not right, I'm 100% sure that somebody will be right behind me to correct my mistake.

I'll just quote an example of advice that could lead you to disappointment if you didn't double check it for accuracy:
"For dinner you will be assigned a dining rotation and it will either be early, 6:15, or late, 8:15. You will receive your rotation and seating time about a month before your cruise when they mail you your cruise booklet."

That's pretty accurate, although the times can change. (Our early seating was scheduled for 5:45 during one cruise.) It might be incomplete, but I bet if you go back and look at the posts after that one, somebody (maybe even me) replied to say that you can request either seating, and even if you don't get it, you can try to change it once you're onboard.

I've come to really love this forum. There are people here whom I trust more than the DCL call center, without question. That's just my own experience and opinion.

LAKid53

Premium Member
Not to mention many DCL CMs have never been on a Disney cruise. Between several of us on this thread, we probably have 50-60 DCL cruises between us. And many do at least 1 cruise a year.

ChuckElias

I know, right? Although I know people who've made it to Platinum even quicker than I did!
That's true, back-to-backs make it easier to get to Platinum, but that's not what I meant to say. Since Platinums get a free Palo meal on each sailing, when you do a B2B, you get TWO free meals at Palo during your 7 nights. One dinner and one brunch Bay-BEEEEE!

I did Remy dinner once. I'm not sorry I did it, but I didn't find it as good a value as Palo dinner, and the service was a bit over the top for me.
Agree 100%
Palo is still worth it, even with the $10 increase (I mean brunch, of course--I don't have to pay for dinner anymore! :D) OR, maybe I apply my free Palo dinner to the new cost of Remy brunch and call it a wash. 🤔
Will they let you do that? :eek:

DisneyJoe

1 - I've always HAD to pick my dining time (early or late) at the time of booking the cruise - you can try switching later or waitlist for a different time
2 - I've never known my restaurant rotation until check in at the port, it has never been in the document booklet - but always on the KTTW card given at check in

LAKid53

Premium Member
1 - I've always HAD to pick my dining time (early or late) at the time of booking the cruise - you can try switching later or waitlist for a different time
2 - I've never known my restaurant rotation until check in at the port, it has never been in the document booklet - but always on the KTTW card given at check in

I think if you request the full version of the booklet, your rotation is listed.

LAKid53

Premium Member
That's true, back-to-backs make it easier to get to Platinum, but that's not what I meant to say. Since Platinums get a free Palo meal on each sailing, when you do a B2B, you get TWO free meals at Palo during your 7 nights. One dinner and one brunch Bay-BEEEEE!

I've never done a B2B..... But it would be a great way to do the CA Coast & Alaska cruises. 🤔

LAKid53

Premium Member
Interesting, I have seen a ton of full versions, and never noticed the rotation. If you have one, I would love to know what page it is on. Thanks!

We were concierge our last 2 cruises....and I can't find either booklet. :(

Tiggerish

Resident Redhead
Premium Member
I’m pretty sure you can request a particular rotation (have done this thru TA) but you don’t know if you got it until you get aboard.

On a 4-nighter, we usually try to get Royal Palace twice and do Palo dinner on one of those nights.

AVeryDifferentDisneyDad

Original Poster
FWIW, the advice on this thread has been golden. I did - indeed - call Disney and spoke to a wonderful cast member who had to look up nearly everything I asked her. She finally admitted she had, "only been on one cruise."

I don't take the recommendations here as a Holy Prophecy, but I do like to see people's experiences and suggestions. I thoroughly emjoy reading all the responses. My family and I have a Team Meeting every few nights where I share some of the stories and suggestions! We have also watched several reports, vlogs, etc on YouTube concerning Disney Cruises with the Dream a focal point of our searches.

All of it helps tremendously and I am VERY appreciative!

AVeryDifferentDisneyDad

Original Poster
Opps... quick follow up, we are a month away and I haven't gotten luggage tags or a packet in the mail yet. Trip was only booked a couple weeks ago and is paid in full.

Perhaps I should call Disney with THIS question, eh?

😁

LAKid53

Premium Member
Opps... quick follow up, we are a month away and I haven't gotten luggage tags or a packet in the mail yet. Trip was only booked a couple weeks ago and is paid in full.

Perhaps I should call Disney with THIS question, eh?

😁

If I remember, you get them 2-3 weeks before your sail date.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom