Toy Story Land expansion announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

WDWtraveler

Photo update as of Sunday, December 16, 2018. This may have been posted elsewhere.... A new, larger kiosk (probably a new Joffrey's) is being built at the entrance to Toy Story Land, right next to the old kiosk.

IMG_0952.JPG

TeddyinMO

How magical looking.

I'm transported to another time and place. I'm also immersed. :confused:

Umm... It's in front of a gigantic blank wall and billboard that has been there for years. What do you want? It's nothing special, but it's not unattractive, especially when you consider this area of the park might eventually become backstage. It's nicer than what's been there for the past however many years.

TP2000

Umm... It's in front of a gigantic blank wall and billboard that has been there for years. What do you want? It's nothing special, but it's not unattractive, especially when you consider this area of the park might eventually become backstage. It's nicer than what's been there for the past however many years.

Exactly my point. :)

Bob Chapek has immersed me in the snack bar of my dreams. Immersive!

yensidtlaw1969

Isn't this behind The Chinese Theatre, approximately across from One Man's Dream along the path to Toy Story Land? This isn't gonna be backstage any time soon.

It would be nice if they applied some sort of placemaking rather than simply making it not-unattractive . . . but I guess they'd have to decide on what kind of place they want the park to be to do that.

Which is to say, "Market" isn't the issue, it's just a symptom of a larger problem.

DinoInstitute

How magical looking.

I'm transported to another time and place. I'm also immersed. :confused:

It’s not awful, and it’s a heck of a lot better than those portable snack carts. But it does very clearly lack creativity.

I’m not quite sure what the solution should be for this area though. Really, the entire transition area between the hub and Toy Story Land is just an awkward remnant of the studio past, and is too small to do anything of substance with but too big to be able to ignore.

Removing the movie billboard advertisements would certainly be an overdue start though.

Marc Davis Fan

Removing the movie billboard advertisements would certainly be an overdue start though.

I'm so perplexed about the movie billboard advertisements. I understand that they fit *logically* because they're on "soundstages" in "Los Angeles," but they certainly don't fit *aesthetically* - plus, most people probably don't get that the billboards are "in theme," and just see them as ads.

As easy way to improve the area (and Commissary Lane, for that matter) would be to stop putting up billboards.

If they NEED billboards in the "billboard holders," why not make ones that read "Soundstage [number]"? At least those would be less distracting and would make sense as part of the theming to more visitors...

Timothy_Q

I'm so perplexed about the movie billboard advertisements. I understand that they fit *logically* because they're on "soundstages" in "Los Angeles," but they certainly don't fit *aesthetically* - plus, most people probably don't get that the billboards are "in theme," and just see them as ads.

As easy way to improve the area (and Commissary Lane, for that matter) would be to stop putting up billboards.

If they NEED billboards in the "billboard holders," why not make ones that read "Soundstage [number]"? At least those would be less distracting and would make sense as part of the theming to more visitors...
Also theming the backside of GMR, with fake facades would be pretty simple.

Some bricks, fake windows, etc

Marc Davis Fan

Also theming the backside of GMR, with fake facades would be pretty simple.

Some bricks, fake windows, etc

I agree, that would be even better than just removing the billboards. It seems like a reasonable thing to do, since MMRR means the building will be sticking around for a while.

Unfortunately, with no Return On Investment for such a project, it doesn't seem like they'd be motivated to spend the money that would be necessary (likely millions, even for just a few relatively simple facades).

This should have been part of the Toy Story Land budget - and maybe it was, in the early planning stages - but alas...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom