Jost VanDyke Beach Day?

DisSplash

Original Poster
So ... now that we are finally in our cruise year, we are finally taking a serious look at our excursion options. We will be on an Eastern Merrytime Cruise next December stopping at San Juan, PR, and Tortola, BVI. For the stop in Tortola, I think the Jost Van Beach day sounds great for us all (including our then 13 and 16 year olds) as it sounds like a nice long day in paradise (6-7 hours). Plus, my husband thinks that the Painkiller (some rum concoction) sounds like something he needs to have. Has anyone done this excursion, and if so, what did you think? Did you still have time to browse local port shops afterwards? Any insight would be greatly appreciated.:)

Last edited:

DisSplash

Original Poster
Apparently you cannot type part of the name of this island by itself, as it gets bleeped out! 😂

Last edited:

ChuckElias

I've not been to Jost VanDyke, but it's on my list for the next time I cruise to Tortola. One thing that we did do there, however, was to take a ferry to Virgin Gorda and spend the day there. It was pretty amazing. There are a couple ferry companies within walking distance of the cruise dock. We used Speedy's. We bought tickets that included the ferry, plus transportation to the beach, plus lunch for 50 or 60 bucks. Just be sure there's a ferry back to Tortola that gets you back to the ship before All-Aboard.

DisSplash

Original Poster
I've not been to Jost VanDyke, but it's on my list for the next time I cruise to Tortola. One thing that we did do there, however, was to take a ferry to Virgin Gorda and spend the day there. It was pretty amazing. There are a couple ferry companies within walking distance of the cruise dock. We used Speedy's. We bought tickets that included the ferry, plus transportation to the beach, plus lunch for 50 or 60 bucks. Just be sure there's a ferry back to Tortola that gets you back to the ship before All-Aboard.

That sounds like a 6-7 hour day excursion too, which sounds pretty good to me. No Painkillers, but the pricing (including lunch does sound great)! Did you still have time to browse the port area, or were your pretty much back in time to get back onboard?

ChuckElias

That sounds like a 6-7 hour day excursion too, which sounds pretty good to me. No Painkillers, but the pricing (including lunch does sound great)! Did you still have time to browse the port area, or were your pretty much back in time to get back onboard?
Well, when we did it back in 2009, there wasn't much to the port area. There were no shops or welcome center like there is now. There were shops and small restaurants in the town, but none right at the pier.

But to answer your question, when we did it, there were multiple ferry times so that you could get back to Tortola at a variety of times. We chose to stay at Virgin Gorda as long as possible. So we intentionally did not leave ourselves time to wander around the shops in town.

I honestly don't know if you can still pick your return time or how it works. (I can't believe that was 10 years ago now!) But here's the link. The pricing is actually lower than I thought.

https://www.bviferries.com/speedys-excursions/

ChuckElias

P.S. -- Here's my wife and daughter at Devil's Cove:

devilcove.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom