News Disney and Fox come to terms -- announcement soon; huge IP acquisition

mikejs78

Premium Member
Unfortunately Marvel TV and Marvel Studios don't play well with each other.

And we should relentlessly shame them for that.
The issue there is that Kevin Feige wanted out from under Perlmutter because Perlmutter was making dumb decisions on the MCU, insisting on making the Inhumans the focus of Phase III and IV. Feige wanted nothing to do with that and convinced Iger that the Perlmutter would mess up the MCU, so Iger gave him autonomy over the film franchise. But Marvel TV stayed under Perlmutter, which led to the disasterous Inhumans movie.

Interesting now is that all the newly announced TV shows for Disney+ are Marvel Studios productions, not Marvel TV productions, which makes me think Marvel TV is being sidelined/going to be phased out.

Rodan75

Unfortunately Marvel TV and Marvel Studios don't play well with each other.

And we should relentlessly shame them for that.

Agreed. But Feige is essentially starting his own Marvel TV division with the Disney+ series. The announced Loki series for Disney+ is by Marvel Studios (along with the rumored Scarlet Witch and the Vision and the Falcon and Winter Soldier series) and not Marvel TV.

Rodan75

The issue there is that Kevin Feige wanted out from under Perlmutter because Perlmutter was making dumb decisions on the MCU, insisting on making the Inhumans the focus of Phase III and IV. Feige wanted nothing to do with that and convinced Iger that the Perlmutter would mess up the MCU, so Iger gave him autonomy over the film franchise. But Marvel TV stayed under Perlmutter, which led to the disasterous Inhumans movie.

Interesting now is that all the newly announced TV shows for Disney+ are Marvel Studios productions, not Marvel TV productions, which makes me think Marvel TV is being sidelined/going to be phased out.

I don't think Inhumans is really the genesis of that, but rather the committee driven thinking that almost drove Whedon crazy and damaged the final cut of Age of Ultron.

djlaosc

That's what I thought.

Looking at what they currently produce on Wikipedia. Marvel TV currently have 7 active series, with 6 new shows in development.

Active Series: Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., Jessica Jones, The Punisher, Legion, The Gifted, The Runaways and Cloak & Dagger

Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. will be on air until at least 2020, and I would imagine that Jessica Jones and The Punisher (and probably The Gifted) will be cancelled next year, leaving 5 (or 4).

I wonder...

If the two year non-screen time after cancellation clause in the Netflix contracts are correct, then the earliest that the Netflix shows could be continued on Disney+ would be as follows:
Luke Cage (June 23rd 2020)  
Iron Fist (September 8th 2020) (or Heroes for Hire, or Daughters of the Dragon)  
Daredevil (October 20th 2020)  

The question is, if this was to happen (would be more likely for Daredevil than the other two, I would think), would they come back under Marvel TV or Marvel Studios?

Regarding Disney+, they could end up with a good selection of Marvel shows over the first year or so after launch, especially if they would bring back some cancelled series (like they did with Clone Wars S7):

IN DEVELOPMENT:
Winter Solder/Falcon [S1/Miniseries]
Scarlet Witch [S1/Miniseries]
Loki [S1/Miniseries]

CURRENTLY CANCELLED:
Agent Carter [S3]
Daredevil [S4]
Luke Cage [S3] / Iron Fist [S3] / Heroes for Hire [S1] / Daughters of the Dragon [S1]

Would they add older seasons of Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. and Cloak & Dagger to Disney+? Would they move Runaways from Hulu to Disney+?

Last edited:

mikejs78

Premium Member
I don't think Inhumans is really the genesis of that, but rather the committee driven thinking that almost drove Whedon crazy and damaged the final cut of Age of Ultron.
You're right about that - that all played into it. Inhumans was a big part of it though. Notice it disappeared from the phase 3 slate shortly after the org change.

Perlmutter really wanted to make Inhumans a thing since Marvel didn't have rights to X-Men. In fact, the fact that the show premiered in Imax was supposed to be Perlmutter's big middle finger to Feige, showing that he could do movies. Of course we all know how that turned out.

mikejs78

Premium Member
That's what I thought.

Looking at what they currently produce on Wikipedia. Marvel TV currently have 7 active series, with 6 new shows in development.

Active Series: Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., Jessica Jones, The Punisher, Legion, The Gifted, The Runaways and Cloak & Dagger

Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. will be on air until at least 2020, and I would imagine that Jessica Jones and The Punisher (and probably The Gifted) will be cancelled next year, leaving 5 (or 4).

I wonder...

If the two year non-screen time after cancellation clause in the Netflix contracts are correct, then the earliest that the Netflix shows could be continued on Disney+ would be as follows:

The question is, if this was to happen (would be more likely for Daredevil than the other two, I would think), would they come back under Marvel TV or Marvel Studios?

Regarding Disney+, they could end up with a good selection of Marvel shows over the first year or so after launch, especially if they would bring back some cancelled series (like they did with Clone Wars S7):

IN DEVELOPMENT:
Loki [S1/Miniseries]

CURRENTLY CANCELLED:
Agent Carter [S3]
Daredevil [S4]
Jessica Jones [S4]
The Punisher [S3]
Luke Cage [S3] / Iron Fist [S3] / Heroes for Hire [S1] / Daughters of the Dragon [S1]

Would they add older seasons of Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. and Cloak & Dagger to Disney+? Would they move Runaways from Hulu to Disney+?
I'm wondering if we are close to Marvel TV being reorged to be under Feige....

SirWillow

Well technically Disney could put The Simpsons in Walt Disney Studios park in Paris as part of a new land theme to 20th Century Fox by mixing it with Avatar, The Simpsons, and Blue Sky Studios , and use Alien vs Predator, and AHS for Halloween events targeted for teens, and adults or create a new Disney park for 20th Century Fox.

Except that Simpsons doesn't fall into any sort of umbrella that Disney wants to embrace. Simpsons is a great example (along with South Park and Family Guy) of a series that you're not going to see in any Disney park ever. While they'll keep it on Fox, they aren't going to want it identified with the Disney brand as it doesn't fit in with the Disney image at all.

mikejs78

Premium Member
Except that Simpsons doesn't fall into any sort of umbrella that Disney wants to embrace. Simpsons is a great example (along with South Park and Family Guy) of a series that you're not going to see in any Disney park ever. While they'll keep it on Fox, they aren't going to want it identified with the Disney brand as it doesn't fit in with the Disney image at all.
How is Simpsons any different than GotG in that regard?

seascape

A fox based IP park aimed at an older audience to the west of Flamingo Crossing would be a great addition and use of that land. It could also be used for a Disney Fox version of a Halloween Horror night, something they should do to complete more with Universal. I would love to do another Halloween scary attraction. It is time for Disney to take the lead in competition rather than just responding.

SirWillow

A fox based IP park aimed at an older audience to the west of Flamingo Crossing would be a great addition and use of that land. It could also be used for a Disney Fox version of a Halloween Horror night, something they should do to complete more with Universal. I would love to do another Halloween scary attraction. It is time for Disney to take the lead in competition rather than just responding.

I highly doubt that you're ever going to see Disney do a version of a "Halloween Horror Night" other than what they do with Not So Scary, which is highly sucessful as a family friendly alternative to all the other parks that do their version. And that's the key to Disney vs the others- family friendly. Disney has very much taken the lead in that area, and they continue to hold onto it. They don't need to do what the others are doing, they're already highly successful in doing something different.

That "family friendly" moniker is also why you won't see those properties under the Disney label. Perception is everything, and even though GoG may actually be "edgier" in some of it's comedy, it's perceived as being part of the family friendly Marvel universe, while Simpsons- whether true or not- is very often not considered to be so.

I know- on the surface it doesn't seem that there is much difference between the Simpsons and Roger Rabbit, but in the perception of the customers who pay to come in the gate, there very much is for many of them. Trust me, I have to work with one of the major portions of Disney's demographic in my other job at a church, and many of them think there is a very clear difference, even if in many ways there isn't.

Rodan75

I would hope so.

I agree. This has seemed like an inevitability as soon as the New Warriors series was canned, I realize that is an odd indicator, but something hasn't seemed 'right' with Marvel TV since then.

And we still don't know what is happening with Marvel Animation.

I would imagine the internal politics of shutting down Marvel TV would be significant. Not only are you messing with Ike, but also with ABC Studios which has profited from the Netflix, Hulu and Freeform deals. But it is likely Feige has more internal pull than anyone at this moment, if he wants it.

brodie999

That's what I thought.

I wonder...

IN DEVELOPMENT:
Loki [S1/Miniseries]

CURRENTLY CANCELLED:
Agent Carter [S3]
Daredevil [S4]
Jessica Jones [S4]
The Punisher [S3]

I for one, would also like Inhumans to come back for a second season on Disney Plus because I loved the show despite its flaws. And I'd like to see a new show runner produce the show to redeem its reputation just like they did with Iron Fist. So you might wanna add Inhumans [S2] to the currently cancelled list.

mikejs78

Premium Member
I agree. This has seemed like an inevitability as soon as the New Warriors series was canned, I realize that is an odd indicator, but something hasn't seemed 'right' with Marvel TV since then.

I would imagine the internal politics of shutting down Marvel TV would be significant. Not only are you messing with Ike, but also with ABC Studios which has profited from the Netflix, Hulu and Freeform deals. But it is likely Feige has more internal pull than anyone at this moment, if he wants it.
One other thing to keep in mind is that once the Fox deal closes, Ike's shareholder influence becomes a little diluted. I wonder if that plays into it at all ...

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member

Marvel TV Studios doesn't have to shut down, other than Inhumans, they've been doing a good job with the Netflix Defenders and SHIELD. You just need their chief, Jeph Loeb, to report to Feige rather than Perlmutter.

Twilight_Roxas

I highly doubt that you're ever going to see Disney do a version of a "Halloween Horror Night" other than what they do with Not So Scary, which is highly sucessful as a family friendly alternative to all the other parks that do their version. And that's the key to Disney vs the others- family friendly. Disney has very much taken the lead in that area, and they continue to hold onto it. They don't need to do what the others are doing, they're already highly successful in doing something different.

That "family friendly" moniker is also why you won't see those properties under the Disney label. Perception is everything, and even though GoG may actually be "edgier" in some of it's comedy, it's perceived as being part of the family friendly Marvel universe, while Simpsons- whether true or not- is very often not considered to be so.

I know- on the surface it doesn't seem that there is much difference between the Simpsons and Roger Rabbit, but in the perception of the customers who pay to come in the gate, there very much is for many of them. Trust me, I have to work with one of the major portions of Disney's demographic in my other job at a church, and many of them think there is a very clear difference, even if in many ways there isn't.
With Halloween *cough* Hong Kong *cough*

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom