Fantasmic refurbishment

IMDREW

Original Poster
Official site says Fantasmic will be closed for refurbishment from january 22nd to spring 2019. Anyone have more info on this or perhaps a reopening date goal?

SuddenStorm

#BringbackDisneyClassicsintoFantasmic

This!

Man, if Disney overhauls this new show and gives us something that's of similar calibur and soul of the original, I'll be stoked.

The new show's improvements were strictly technical- the new effects were phenomenal (though Disney seems to have taken the "more is better" approach). The old show with the 2017 tech would be perfect.

drizgirl

This!

Man, if Disney overhauls this new show and gives us something that's of similar calibur and soul of the original, I'll be stoked.

The new show's improvements were strictly technical- the new effects were phenomenal (though Disney seems to have taken the "more is better" approach). The old show with the 2017 tech would be perfect.
I'd be shocked if they did anything major to the show just a couple years after such a big reworking of it.

SuddenStorm

I'd be shocked if they did anything major to the show just a couple years after such a big reworking of it.

As would I, though it's worth noting they've tweaked the Pirates scene dialogue and some animation in the genie segment, so I wouldn't be surprised if they tweak it some more.

The optimist in me is hoping for a complete overhaul, the realist knows it won't happen.

FerretAfros

I wouldn't think of this downtime so much as a refurbishment as just a general hiatus. They'll probably do some general upkeep and may make a couple minor tweaks, but I wouldn't expect any significant changes. The show tends to go dark for a few months every spring as a cost saving measure when attendance slows down.

As much as DLR likes to fancy itself as a world-class destination, it still operates much like a regional amusement park, including significant entertainment reductions during non-peak periods. Its seasonal promotions, annual passes, and discounts are all geared toward locals, rather than high-spending out-of-town visitors. Park hours, entertainment schedules, and new attraction openings are structured around school schedules within a 100 mile radius, rather than nationwide travel trends. Minor weather events like wind and rain frequently close attractions, cancel entertainment, and even close the parks early.

While there are a lot of things that DLR does better than WDW (maintenance and entertainment being chief among them), until they find a way to deliver a consistent experience for guests, day in and day out all year long, it will continue to be an afterthought for a majority of domestic and international vacationers. For all of its faults, WDW does a great job of having reliable schedules for park hours and major entertainment throughout the year.

But hey, at least this will give the ever-growing cadre of DLR vloggers something to breathlessly dissect when it returns with no discernable differences in a couple months!
I’ll be there first week of may. This refurb wouldn’t take that long right?
It typically returns for the peak spring break crowds, and then runs Friday-Sunday until things start to ramp up in mid-June for the summer crowds. I have no knowledge about what they're doing this year, but if it is running in early May I would expect it to be weekends only.

gerarar

Premium Member
Sorry if this has been talked about already or posted elsewhere, but did the launch of the pyro/fireworks, like in the finale, get louder? I watch Fantasmic! videos here and there from time to time and just noticed the big difference in sound recently.
I went back to videos of the 2.0 premiere and it confirmed my suspicions.

F2.0! Debut: (around 26:02)

June 2018 and it still not as loud: (25:42)

October 2018 and it's much much louder now: (25:48)

Recent video with louder launches: (25:43)

Just thought it's something worth pointing and asking about. The switch must've happened sometime between of June and October of last year [2018].

DisneyLostBoy03

Any word on if there will be any changes or updates to the show during the refurbishment? Personally, I really enjoy the show with the updates. The only change I have mixed feelings for is replacing Peter Pan with Pirates of the Caribbean. Do you think that Disney would ever think of bringing the Peter Pan segment back but more updated? Maybe have Never Land be projected on Tom Sawyer's Island.

Nland316

Any word on if there will be any changes or updates to the show during the refurbishment? Personally, I really enjoy the show with the updates. The only change I have mixed feelings for is replacing Peter Pan with Pirates of the Caribbean. Do you think that Disney would ever think of bringing the Peter Pan segment back but more updated? Maybe have Never Land be projected on Tom Sawyer's Island.
While I’d be surprised if anything significant changed during this update, I do believe this is an easier switch for Pan than we think. Especially if rumors are true that they still have Tick Tock Croc saved somewhere.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom