Expedition Everest effects status watch

NormC

Just a random late night opinion about something that's been on my mind for a few years now. A long time ago I read someone say they'd like the Yeti to be covered by a screen showing the Yeti moving or something like that similar to the screen showing just the shadow earlier in the ride. I can't help but to think that would be way worse. Like I feel like the static Disco Yeti sitting up there is still way more menancing than a screen could ever be. Just the massive size and scary design helps alot. If I could choose it would be like A Mode> Disco> Screen> Absolutely Nothing. Sorry to disrupt the thread but I just wanted to finaly put that thought out there somewhere.
I would much rather have the awesome animatronic stationary with proper lighting effects and fans to move his fur than some projection screen.

geekza

I rode Everest for the first time last week. Loved it, in general. It is definitely anticlimactic with a stationary Yeti at the end, though. The strobe light in no way makes it look like it's moving. Still, it's 95% a really fun ride, and to today's Disney management, that's going above and beyond the call of duty. I will say that it was one of only two attractions in the parks that my first-timer wife specifically wanted to ride again. Sadly, there was no way to do so without being willing to wait over an hour. The crowds were insane.

Fox&Hound

I rode Everest for the first time last week. Loved it, in general. It is definitely anticlimactic with a stationary Yeti at the end, though. The strobe light in no way makes it look like it's moving. Still, it's 95% a really fun ride, and to today's Disney management, that's going above and beyond the call of duty. I will say that it was one of only two attractions in the parks that my first-timer wife specifically wanted to ride again. Sadly, there was no way to do so without being willing to wait over an hour. The crowds were insane.

I highly recommend doing single-rider. It cuts the wait down considerably...

KBLovedDisney

latest

Tom Morrow

this thread is as dead as the yeti itself as it should be...in fact the admin probably should delete it.
This thread has been entirely obsolete and useless for almost as long as it's been around. By 2008/2009 it was obvious that the yeti was not going to be fixed any time soon, and that if it ever started working again, social media would absolutely erupt with the news. This thread is apparently kept stickied as some sort of attempt to "stick it" to Disney, even though they obviously don't care because Everest continues to be one of their most popular attractions without them having to spend any money to fix the yeti.

This thread also downplays all the other show issues throughout WDW attractions because they don't have their own dedicated thread that never goes away to discuss them in.

Last edited:

Doug Means

This thread has been entirely obsolete and useless for almost as long as it's been around. By 2008/2009 it was obvious that the yeti was not going to be fixed any time soon, and that if it ever started working again, social media would absolutely erupt with the news. This thread is apparently kept stickied as some sort of attempt to "stick it" to Disney, even though they obviously don't care because Everest continues to be one of their most popular attractions without them having to spend any money to fix the yeti.

This thread also downplays all the other show issues throughout WDW attractions because they don't have their own dedicated thread that never goes away to discuss them in.

THIS thread is obsolete? That makes me laugh as i read all these threads that have no real meaning.this thread is talking about a big problem that most people want fixed. so many other big threads....hahahaha THIS ONE is obsolete. yes it is. but its fun too

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Which other attractions in WDW have had the largest, most technologically advanced AA that was endlessly used in promotional materials, left in a non-functional state for more than a decade?

The Yeti being a statue is the equivalent of not being able to turn the lights off on Space Mountain or stopping Splash Mountain and unloading guests just before the last lift hill.

Cmdr_Crimson

Which other attractions in WDW have had the largest, most technologically advanced AA that was endlessly used in promotional materials, left in a non-functional state for more than a decade?

The Yeti being a statue is the equivalent of not being able to turn the lights off on Space Mountain or stopping Splash Mountain and unloading guests just before the last lift hill.

What about Q’aráq at SDL? Or does he have limited movment?
Capture%2Bd%25E2%2580%2599e%25CC%2581cran%2B2016-06-19%2Ba%25CC%2580%2B02.38.27.png

Tom Morrow

THIS thread is obsolete? That makes me laugh as i read all these threads that have no real meaning.this thread is talking about a big problem that most people want fixed. so many other big threads....hahahaha THIS ONE is obsolete. yes it is. but its fun too

Thanks for proving my point, guys. This is exactly what I mean. This thread makes you care SO MUCH about this ONE problem that you ignore or don't care about major show issues elsewhere. I'm sorry, but no, the Yeti not functioning is NOT on the same level as riding Space Mountain with the lights on. Tower of Terror is in far, far worse show quality than Expedition Everest and has been for years. There have been several threads about this, but nobody cares because they don't remain stickied at the top of the forum for a freakin' decade telling people that this is an "important" issue. I have ridden both Tower of Terror and Expedition Everest with the show turned off and lights on. The experience on Tower of Terror is about 75% show effects. With the show turned off, it is nowhere near as thrilling, and you see how controlled and relatively slow the drop sequences really are. The drops also make up about 1/3rd of the total ride time while the rest is theatrical. Everest, on the other hand, is almost exactly as fun with no show at all because it is primarily a roller coaster - one that pulls some relatively intense maneuvers and does not need darkness to create intensity. The functioning yeti is window dressing at thee end of a roller coaster. Having experienced the attraction in it's opening day form, the functioning yeti does not somehow double the ride's value. Even when it first stopped working, it was more of a "aw shucks" than "OMG that made riding the ride totally pointless!!"

It's exhausting to see everyone exert so much negative energy into this one issue. I'm tired of discussing Disney and theme parks in real life, saying positive things such as how DAK is the best example of a completely cohesive theme park, and inevitably some socially awkward fanboy, who wants to appear superior and "in the know" in the conversation, says - with a $###-eating grin, "heh... but what about the YETI?"

NormC

This forum is filled with complaints about every little issue on every ride including Tower of Terror. If there were any more "negative energy" the server would crash. The main difference is this was made "sticky" so it always seems to rise back up from "the dead".

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom