Why do you believe WDW has gone downhill?

Miss Bella

I just can't understand this thinking at all... It truly blows me away...
I agree with you on this. If I want an all inclusive vacation I go on a cruise. I can't come close to spending on food per day what the dining plan would cost. We eat what we want and spend less.
Our first couple of trips to WDW back in 2010 we bought the deluxe dining plan. Our kids were under 10. It cost us about 200.00 dollars a day for the 4 of us. I believe it was 75.00 for an adult and 25.00 for a child. I thought it was a good value back then especially with the number of signature restaurants and breakfast buffets we ate at. At today's prices and traveling with a fussy teen I just can't make the math work.

Bpmorley

The food is the biggest issue by far and it will only get worse as the DDP has ruined it.... I have dinner at the sig places for every dinner but after my last trip I don't know what I will do... This will change for us.... The steaks at the YM are a joke now.... Comparing it to Grill 23 in Boston or any high end steak place near me it doesn't come close.... Even our special meal at v&a was not as good... We have been 7 times and it was the first time we said we may not be back.... Capa at the four seasons is way better.... It's sad that people have bought into the DDP so much because it has killed the food.... For most people, it doesn't even save them money and just cash flows Disney... When I hear people here say, they know it may cost more but I don't want to think about the prices or id just go cheap if I paid in cash makes me scream...Act like an adult.
We did the yachtsman for the first time and it was good. But not having been there before I don't know how much the quality went down. I wasn't a big fan of the $7.50 can of local beer. When I saw a 12 pack at Winn Dixie for $14. Most of our trips we only do one good meal on property and the rest is off site. over the years we did see the decline at Le Cellier so i believe you when you say it's dipped.

eliza61nyc

I just can't understand this thinking at all... It truly blows me away...

I know quite a few folks who appreciate this. Basically they like the freedom of being able to pay for it in advance and then when they are on vacation they can eat what they want, where they want without cringing at the cost.

one of my coworkers husband is a real grinch when it comes to eating out, no matter where they go evidently he complains about the cost of food, the ddp allows her to eat on site where ever she wants and not have to hear him grumble about the cost of every thing. worth every cent for her.

Hockey89

I know quite a few folks who appreciate this. Basically they like the freedom of being able to pay for it in advance and then when they are on vacation they can eat what they want, where they want without cringing at the cost.

one of my coworkers husband is a real grinch when it comes to eating out, no matter where they go evidently he complains about the cost of food, the ddp allows her to eat on site where ever she wants and not have to hear him grumble about the cost of every thing. worth every cent for her.
Yes, and this is why we have worse food because people can't act like adults...

flynnibus

Premium Member

That's because it's all smoke and mirrors and these people are falling for it.

The a la carte prices are setup to support the idea the DDP is a good deal.

Instead of actually having meals that are reasonably priced... they are falling for the idea it's all 'fixed price' or pre-paid. Overpaying is overpaying.. regardless of when you paid. Their mindset also misses that to justify the price point, you're being encouraged to have more/larger meals than you might have had otherwise. So again, buying more than you probably would have otherwise.

Even back in the days of the Magic Kingdom club... the dining offers really required you to go 'all out' to justify the expense. But then, the quality and variety was better.. and the a la carte offers weren't such a laughing stock.

eliza61nyc

That's because it's all smoke and mirrors and these people are falling for it.

The a la carte prices are setup to support the idea the DDP is a good deal.

Instead of actually having meals that are reasonably priced... they are falling for the idea it's all 'fixed price' or pre-paid. Overpaying is overpaying.. regardless of when you paid. Their mindset also misses that to justify the price point, you're being encouraged to have more/larger meals than you might have had otherwise. So again, buying more than you probably would have otherwise.

Even back in the days of the Magic Kingdom club... the dining offers really required you to go 'all out' to justify the expense. But then, the quality and variety was better.. and the a la carte offers weren't such a laughing stock.

oh I agree flynn but there are people who will simply over pay for convenience. I don't think they are trying to justify the price at all. The folks I know, some are Disney regulars.
I've been known to do it once or twice in my real life. I hate food shopping so yep, I'll pay 6 bucks a gallon for milk at the mini mart if I can avoid the supermarket.

like the girl I mentioned, she fully knows that they would probably do better off the ddp, there are a bunch of disney-ites on my job and we talk about it all the time, but on the ddp their vacation is much happier because the old guy isn't constantly looking at the price tag.

I am in no way saying it's a good buy. I did it once back when the tip and appetizers where included and that was it.

like I said, when I rent out my points the first question is ALWAYS can they add on the ddp and believe me I tell them with a little planning they will spend less off it. Many people don't care, they want that illusion when they get to the World that every thing is paid for and they don't have to reach as much into their pockets.

Raineman

Yes, and this is why we have worse food because people can't act like adults...
I knew eventually, when discussing the DDP, someone would blame the perceived decrease in food quality on those of us who continue to use the DDP, and here we are. I'm gonna take the high road here and just say that's your opinion, and have a nice day.

geekza

I have what is probably a different opinion than most. From a purely economic standpoint, I see so many more people taking multiple Disney vacations now than in the past that I wonder if Disney would be better off increasing the price point of the tickets to where it limited the number of multiple WDW trips people could take. This could help with crowd levels, which could in turn help with less stress on cast members leading to better service and a better overall guest experience. This would likely include pricing myself out of multiple trips.
So, completely eliminate the possibility of a WDW vacation for those of us who save up to be able to only go once every 8-10 years in the name of making the parks better for the wealthy. I know that isn't your intention by saying that, but that would be the effect and would have a hugely detrimental effect on public perception of Disney. The Disney parks were never meant to be an elitist endeavor. Disneyland was created for the average family, as was WDW. We have enough problem with economic disparity in this country without adding a cultural institution like the Disney parks to the pile.

eliza61nyc

So, completely eliminate the possibility of a WDW vacation for those of us who save up to be able to only go once every 8-10 years in the name of making the parks better for the wealthy. I know that isn't your intention by saying that, but that would be the effect and would have a hugely detrimental effect on public perception of Disney. The Disney parks were never meant to be an elitist endeavor. Disneyland was created for the average family, as was WDW. We have enough problem with economic disparity in this country without adding a cultural institution like the Disney parks to the pile.

Really? wow, that's a serious question. I only remember going once as a family and boy did my parents complain that this was an extremely expensive vacation. that's why I'm always baffled about the perception that Disney was cheap and every family in America can take their kids if they so desire.
I don't know if the mouseworld is trying to give the illusion that it is for the wealthy but I do think they feel the price is worth what they charge.
Some have argued that its a bit of an "entitlement" mentality to feel that any product has to be affordable to all. who knows? I've never ever felt that Disney was cheap, I always felt that it was a good value but from day one it's been a hit on the pocketbook.

In the grand scheme of things there probably are more important areas to worry about economic disparity than a made up theme park (education for one, after putting 3 kids through college, I'm scared to even look at what it cost me total) but I am hoping that somewhere in this corporation there are bean counters who are tuned into what these prices increases could do to visitors.

flynnibus

Premium Member
oh I agree flynn but there are people who will simply over pay for convenience.

Convenience... Yes. But it really rings wrong for the 3rd party audience.. if people overbuy and overpay... simply to get 'pre-paid' as your form of 'convenience'. When we are in the era of credit cards... and no one is paying cash. Really what it is, is likely they simply can IGNORE THE PRICES - not so much having 'pre paid' convenience.

The psychology DDP plays on is the idea of 'spoil yourself', 'see that price? it doesn't apply to you!', 'no need to worry'.

Raineman

Agreed. WDW should never have a price point that makes it feasible for only the wealthy. Any significant price increases at this point would make WDW trips out of reach for even upper middle class families.

Raineman

Convenience... Yes. But it really rings wrong for the 3rd party audience.. if people overbuy and overpay... simply to get 'pre-paid' as your form of 'convenience'. When we are in the era of credit cards... and no one is paying cash. Really what it is, is likely they simply can IGNORE THE PRICES - not so much having 'pre paid' convenience.

The psychology DDP plays on is the idea of 'spoil yourself', 'see that price? it doesn't apply to you!', 'no need to worry'.
I guess I can only speak for myself, but my family and I definitely do not have the "spoil yourself"mentality when it comes to the DDP. We do see it as a convenience, but mostly because of budgeting, which I would imagine many families have to do for a WDW trip. Everyone already knows the main cost of trip far in advance-airfare/transportation cost, park tickets, hotels, etc. We have a finite amount of money we can spend on a WDW trip, which means that our meal budget is a finite amount as well. With the DDP, that finite amount is set when we book our visit-no matter what we order, as long as we stay within the confines of the DDP credits, we will not spend any more than that. Could that DDP cost end up being more than what we would have paid using a credit card? Sure, but if the situation is reversed, we are using a credit card, and we set a certain amount that we wanted to spend on meals, and we went over that, we have now overrun the finite amount we set. Some families could absorb the extra cost, and some can't. With the DDP, that can't happen, as the finite amount is set in stone well before the trip. Also, the prepaid DDP doesn't always accrue interest (unless credit is used to pay for it), but paying onsite using credit cards always does.
I do understand why some people don't like to use the DDP, and I am fine with that. But my family, and everyone else that regularly uses the DDP for that matter, shouldn't be held responsible for the quality of food at WDW. That is all on WDW management, which is where any vitriol over food quality should be pointed. (I just want to mention that I am not pointing you out as one of those people that place that blame on DDP users, but, as evidenced on an earlier post of mine on this thread, they are out there.)

thomas998

So, I'm actually writing an essay and I need the voices of those who believe Disney World has lost its special touch.

What are changes Disney has made you believe have been for the worst? And does it represent something greater? Are there things you see now that you don't like? Essentially, I need people to complain about Disney World so I have arguments to address.

For example:
Not fixing the Yeti as a sign that Disney fails to maintain their rides to the extent they should.
Or,
Food quality, in general, has gone down but the prices remain high indicating Disney is being cheap.

The only thing else I ask for is to say something more creative than "crowds" and "ticket Price Increase." Least, if you say these give a unique argument as to why they're bad

Thanks!

Oh! And if you don't think Disney has gone downhill, I'd take those responses too!

Edit: Maybe downhill was too broad of a term. I'm really just seeking what changes or things have there been that have reduced the quality of your Walt Disney World Experience.
I do not agree that WDW has gone downhill and therefore need counter-arguments. Rather than assuming what the counter-arguments are, I thought it'd be nice to quote some. Therefore, I really would like specific points of an argument.
If you ask for reasons people think Disney has started going downhill you can't say but don't tell me about crowds and prices. The crowds and prices are the biggest complaint to most people and a very valid one. Imagine a park 15 or 20 years ago with a third less people than you have today, and imagine it cost less even when adjusting for inflation... That's a darned good reason to think things have gone downhill.... Then factor in the increase in the number of strollers and mobility scooters and even if the attendance had stayed static the amount of space you have has shrunk.... and all of this cost more....

It doesn't matter to me that the food quality has dropped because I don't have to eat their food when I go... but I do have to pay the admission price and deal with the crowds so the only thing that really hits some people like myself is the increased crowds along with increased prices.

Now if you want specifics on other things that have gone down hill... look at the merchandise. 10 years ago we had to buy out daughter a costume at the last minute because the suitcase with it got lost and the Halloween party was the day we arrived... Okay, we paid a significant premium at the resort for a costume, but it was a very well made costume several levels above what you would get in a walmart or typical halloween costume shop.... Now years later you don't see that level of costumes in the resorts or shops instead you see the same cheap junk you could buy in a Walmart for a fraction of the price. So here is a prime example of where the prices went up and the quality of what you get has dropped significantly.

Or here's another sign of cheapness... when I was a kid and my parents took he to Disney there were shops that had really cool stuff that you just couldn't find in your local neighborhood stores. I remember they had things like Corgi metal cars, nothing about them was Disney themed they were just really highly detailed and cool looking that you would just not see in most stores in the US. Now you don't find anything cool you just find cheap Disney related junk tied to the ride that shop happens to be near the exit of. Today if the item isn't slapped with some Disney logo or character you just don't see it in the parks.

Bpmorley

lol, we'd have to make that an entire new thread!! some times I rent out my dvc points and the first question is always can they get the DDP. go figure.
I rented to friends last year and they insisted on it. I tried to talk them out of it, but they really wanted it. They're renting off me again next year and want it again. It's their money...

Bpmorley

If you ask for reasons people think Disney has started going downhill you can't say but don't tell me about crowds and prices. The crowds and prices are the biggest complaint to most people and a very valid one. Imagine a park 15 or 20 years ago with a third less people than you have today, and imagine it cost less even when adjusting for inflation... That's a darned good reason to think things have gone downhill.... Then factor in the increase in the number of strollers and mobility scooters and even if the attendance had stayed static the amount of space you have has shrunk.... and all of this cost more....

It doesn't matter to me that the food quality has dropped because I don't have to eat their food when I go... but I do have to pay the admission price and deal with the crowds so the only thing that really hits some people like myself is the increased crowds along with increased prices.

Now if you want specifics on other things that have gone down hill... look at the merchandise. 10 years ago we had to buy out daughter a costume at the last minute because the suitcase with it got lost and the Halloween party was the day we arrived... Okay, we paid a significant premium at the resort for a costume, but it was a very well made costume several levels above what you would get in a walmart or typical halloween costume shop.... Now years later you don't see that level of costumes in the resorts or shops instead you see the same cheap junk you could buy in a Walmart for a fraction of the price. So here is a prime example of where the prices went up and the quality of what you get has dropped significantly.

Or here's another sign of cheapness... when I was a kid and my parents took he to Disney there were shops that had really cool stuff that you just couldn't find in your local neighborhood stores. I remember they had things like Corgi metal cars, nothing about them was Disney themed they were just really highly detailed and cool looking that you would just not see in most stores in the US. Now you don't find anything cool you just find cheap Disney related junk tied to the ride that shop happens to be near the exit of. Today if the item isn't slapped with some Disney logo or character you just don't see it in the parks.
We went to Disney in 72 and 77/78. I can still remember our parents buying me and my brother muskets at POTC. They came caps and little cork balls that actually shot out of the barrel. They were wood and metal. You will never find anything like that on property again. I wish I still had mine.

eliza61nyc

If someone is charging their vacations without thought of paying it off at the end of the month then they are already ignoring the price, that psychology did not evolve around ddp.
Personally it's the same concept of the Iphone and 'renting" them that many cell phone companies use. most folks would bark at 699 for a cell phone but tell them it's only 8 bucks a month and the get a really cool toy. sign them up.

could it be about "spoiling yourself" maybe? I've certainly blown money on "treats", my sampling pool is extremely small. 3 or 4 like minded families I know who are fans like me, they get it because they like having every thing paid for before they leave.

ryguy

I have been going to WDW since the late 1970's and the world has definitely changed in that time. I think the biggest factors are the sheer size of the resort compared to 30 years ago. Disney is not picky anymore when hiring their cast members like they could be long ago. They need warm bodies with so many positions to fill. In turn you see more inconsistent customer service. Compare that to the DCL and you see a completely different over the top customer service. Many people say like Disney customer service used to be. IMO that is based on size differences more than anything else. Working for Disney used to be a plus on a resume and have some cache I don't believe that is as true in 2018. So why would a talented person go work for Disney for peanuts? To flip burgers in the college program. I am marketing major and they have you selling Ice cream. No thank you.

The company is very much a publicly run company now and has been for awhile. Shareholders are the primary focus as compared to the 1970's. As we get further away from Walts death the company moves further away from his vision. Good or bad that is the reality, and thus has positives and negatives. But it definitely effects the product.

Maintenance of the parks has surely gone down hill, again I think it's based on size and corporate culture to cut where you can cut.

Lastly I think Disney has rested on its reputation for a long time now. They have beaten up the customer for quite some time with a stale product and cost cutting measures which effect the Disney difference. I am encouraged that we are seeing investments in the parks, but it sure has taken awhile to get these enhancements. Truthfully I think we can thank Comcast and Universal for this.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom