Jungle Cruise Re-Imagining

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
What if:
The Jungle Cruise movie tanking at the box office seals the fate of WDW's Jungle Cruise?!
Does that not sound like something they'd consider? MK could use the land. I'm certain it has been discussed internally, at least in the past. With a new movie on the horizon it makes you wonder what they have planned for WDW's Jungle Cruise and if demoing is one of the options on the table; especially if they already have a few replacements in mind. I don't think it'd happen. But...

They don't have enough money in the budget to build a theater they announced. They can't decide what to replace SGE with.

You can be sure Jungle Cruise the ride is safe for, at least, the next five years.

Kman101

It's almost as if time passes and things/tastes change but some people just seem to be stuck firmly in the past.

In some cases I can agree with you. But it's also a bit subjective. What's better to some isn't always going to be better to others. Just how it is. Can't please everyone (but I do think some people could afford to maybe give a tad more leeway, IMO but to each their own; and I do think they can design the attractions better in order to basically please both bases, an IP attraction that adheres to the core of the park and what came before, it's not that hard but they can't seem to get it right). That's life.

But I think more people would be more open to change if Disney had a history of changing things for the proverbial better. Again, some of it's subjective. And I go back to IP. IP based attractions aren't the actual problem. Location and execution of them seems to be the problem. Many people feel let down. I can't say I blame them. But if people like the new stuff (I've always fallen sort of in the middle of this; I see potential in some IPs but they've let me down in execution and where they place some things), I don't see why they have to get told they're "wrong", either.

Kman101

My issue with the IP invasion of POTC, is the dominance of Jack Sparrow on the ride. Here and there I'd be on board. But Jack just seems to be everywhere, and having the repetitive character there seems to ruin the timeline for me of the somewhat loose story. Since Jungle Cruise has an ever looser story to it, I could see how this would be done really poorly. At the same time, I think it could be done well, if characters and scenes are interspersed, and we are just seeing them (rather than adding some sort of storyline to what we're seeing)

This. It wasn't very seamless. It's "LOOK JACK SPARROW!". They do such a poor job with it. I don't want JC to fall into the same. Granted, we know nothing really, but they've given me no guarantee they "do it right". All I picture is a Rock animatronic here and there and it's just Pirates 2006 all over again.

geekza

With due respect the IP IS Jungle Cruise, so how exactly would adding more of THAT IP make it worse?
IP, for the sake of this argument, means something that is from a non-theme park product. In this case, while films like the Pirates series, Haunted Mansion, etc. took their inspiration from the attractions, they only take a general idea from the rides and maybe throw in a few background details from the attraction. Using your logic, if a film used a painting as visual and thematic inspiration, it would be acceptable for characters from that film to be added into the original painting. Yes, that's a bit extreme, but only a bit. Some of us consider these attractions as works of art that should be respected and not altered without careful consideration insuring that the original tone and intent of the attraction are protected. Just because others don't feel that way doesn't make the views of those of us who do invalid.

Phicinfan

IP, for the sake of this argument, means something that is from a non-theme park product. In this case, while films like the Pirates series, Haunted Mansion, etc. took their inspiration from the attractions, they only take a general idea from the rides and maybe throw in a few background details from the attraction. Using your logic, if a film used a painting as visual and thematic inspiration, it would be acceptable for characters from that film to be added into the original painting. Yes, that's a bit extreme, but only a bit. Some of us consider these attractions as works of art that should be respected and not altered without careful consideration insuring that the original tone and intent of the attraction are protected. Just because others don't feel that way doesn't make the views of those of us who do invalid.
Well I again question, how is this an issue? The movie is not out yet, we have no idea how tied into the ride it is, to assume one without actual data is a bit of a reach. I am a huge fan of JC and would not want to see it changed just for change, but an enhancement that ties into the movie...I don't consider an end of the world scenario

geekza

Well I again question, how is this an issue? The movie is not out yet, we have no idea how tied into the ride it is, to assume one without actual data is a bit of a reach. I am a huge fan of JC and would not want to see it changed just for change, but an enhancement that ties into the movie...I don't consider an end of the world scenario
It's fairly easy to make an assumption based upon prior ride-to-film adaptations and the available plot descriptions that it will be an adventure film with comedic elements that uses the name, the setting of a jungle river expedition, and probably some shots that mimic iconic scenes from the ride. Everything else will be new. Also, this is 2018 Disney we're talking about. I can guarantee that any film-related additions to the ride will be so tied to the plot or characters from the film, that it will completely change the experience. The point of Iger's mandate was to promote films and ancillary products in the park in order to increase revenue. Subtlety and taste are not in their wheelhouse any longer. I challenge you to name a single addition of IP to an existing attraction that didn't harm the attraction.

lazyboy97o

The changes are not about enhancing the attraction. They will not be implemented based on how they improve the Jungle Cruise as a themed experience.

Phicinfan

It's fairly easy to make an assumption based upon prior ride-to-film adaptations and the available plot descriptions that it will be an adventure film with comedic elements that uses the name, the setting of a jungle river expedition, and probably some shots that mimic iconic scenes from the ride. Everything else will be new. Also, this is 2018 Disney we're talking about. I can guarantee that any film-related additions to the ride will be so tied to the plot or characters from the film, that it will completely change the experience. The point of Iger's mandate was to promote films and ancillary products in the park in order to increase revenue. Subtlety and taste are not in their wheelhouse any longer. I challenge you to name a single addition of IP to an existing attraction that didn't harm the attraction.
You may have me, I don't know yet as I have not seen the movie. I grant you that the Pirates movie and the Haunted Mansion movie were not good and somewhat detrimental adds. I will be fair and hold my judgement until the movie is out, and I see what the adds are. I will at least give some credit in this case as they had the Rock meet with them on ride intent and he participated some on the ride. Not saying that means they will be true to it, but I don't remember that ever being the case with the others.

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
They don't have enough money in the budget to build a theater they announced. They can't decide what to replace SGE with.
You can be sure Jungle Cruise the ride is safe for, at least, the next five years.

Oh for sure. It's the next, next 5 that's being debated. Worst case a "20k subs" type scenario of a slow and painful death. Very unlikely but I wouldn't put it past them.

Unrelated: How does Jungle Cruise rate in guest surveys?

MouseMelly

The implementation of these updates will not be based on their own merit. If they are good ideas they should be implemented because they are good ideas.

You’re contradicting yourself. That people now focus on finding the characters means they’re not focused on the attraction’s original concept.

I wasn’t intending to contradict myself, so maybe I can better explain. My kids are 5&6... so while they realize there’s a world outside of Oklahoma, they aren’t fully aware that dancing girls in pink feathery dresses equates to France or French culture. So if it makes it fun for them to see Lilo and Stitch in Polynesia or Woody and Jessie in the West, then I think it’s a well-done addition. I realize it doesn’t have the same effect for everyone. 😊

raymusiccity

I'm willing to bet that the movie will show us the 'back side' of a waterfall! 😁

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom