News Parking Fees increase effective October 16 2018

matt9112

They have spent large amounts on road and parking improvements lately . Look at the the new entrance with ticket booth at DHS. They also greatly increased the size of the parking lot itself.

They just completed a overpass on world drive and three parking decks at disney springs ( free parking). Parking fees are the sole direct linked revenue source for parking and room improvements.

yeah whos going to pay for all this there only a multi billion dollar company. money doesn't just grow on trees its only reasonable and fair to increased operating revenue in the swamp.

matt9112

Disney doesn't need any excuses. It's a luxury item and it's their property. They can raise the price to $500 per day to park if they want. They don't have to have an excuse.

If you don't like it, don't go. Simple as that. One can exist without a Walt Disney World vacation just fine. When market forces dictate to Disney that their fees are too high, they will lower them. As long as a sufficient number of people keep showing up and paying the prices, they will keep raising them.

I don't know why we have to keep having this same debate over and over again.

wrong they will just discount rack rates and or ticket bundles the likelyhood of a fair no strings attached price drop...0 this is there fall back if economy tanked tommorow they dont need to lower prices just %off x y z its how they can rationalize this level of pricing and not be vaporized if there was ever a 9/11 again.

Naplesgolfer

yeah whos going to pay for all this there only a multi billion dollar company. money doesn't just grow on trees its only reasonable and fair to increased operating revenue in the swamp.

The way most cap-ex is approved at public companies is by showing how it will raise operating revenue. Many millions own Disney stock. The market expect's revenue to increase every quarter.

Indy_UK

I think for international guests, these price hikes have certainly broken the camels back. Us brits come for a good 10-14 days but costs including staying on property is now just too much.

I think we will do one big trip in 2021 ( which part of me doesn't want to do) and then just do small 2-3 day trips to Disneyland Paris instead of bi-annual trips to WDW.

Lensman

Because you don't go to a sports game for 5 to 7 days in the same week.

Same with the food.
I don't abide by the constant price increases, and I don't find the whataboutism comparing the price increases to high prices of other captive venues like ballparks entirely suasive, but I also don't abide by marginal "this is different" arguments either. If I go to a half-dozen games over the course of a year, I will pay the alleged $50 six times for a total of $300 in parking. That's a lot to pay for parking in a year. (Well, for those who live in NYC it's not, but that's a different story). That's roughly similar to paying $25 for parking for 6 days in a row on a WDW vacation.

But I don't expect this to be compelling to you. Why don't you get in the last word arguing for the uniqueness of your specific perspective on what examples of price gouging I am allowed to be indignant about and which examples of price gouging I have to live with uncomplainingly because you don't think I should be allowed to complain about them in the same breath as complaining about Disney? :)

John park hopper

Sears used to be a well known and respected company with brand loyalty, however after 132 years Sears is going bankrupt. Kenmore and craftsmen power tools used to be great products but over the years quality went down and cost went up along with poor management. I wonder if Disney is or will go down a similar road in the future. IMO I can't see how these constant price increases and reduction in services won't eventually take its toll on brand loyalty, guest satisfaction and repeat guests.

Last edited:

Lensman

Sears used to be a well known and respected company with brand loyalty, however after 132 years Sears is going bankrupt. Kenmore and craftsmen power tools used to be great products but over the years quality went down and cost went up along with poor management. I wonder if Disney is or will go down a similar road in the future. IMO I can't see how these constant price increases and reduction in services won't eventually takes its toll on brand loyalty, guest satisfaction and repeat guests.
I liked Kenmore products for their value until the very end, which is obviously semi-problematic for me now. You always had to be somewhat careful to look for the OEM of the particular model you were buying to ensure quality, since they picked up some cheap OEMs towards the end and some of their OEMs had more quality issues as well. We're still using our Kenmore vacuum from 1991.

Did Craftsmen tools decline in quality as well? I didn't buy any of their power tools but have purchased their "manual" tools for years.

Sears had a number of problems over the years, as niche competitors stole away parts of their business, and towards the end they doomed themselves by failing to update their product and pay for good marketing. In hindsight, it's easy for everyone to identify what they did wrong. Part of it is just that they were in a brutal sector. Are any department stores doing well (even the well-run ones)?

As a comparison with Disney, I was more worried about Disney when they weren't updating the parks.

eliza61nyc

Disney raising prices is as predictable as people on these boards defending Disney in every price hike and decision they make.

In other news: The sky is blue.
lol,
I was going to say the opposite that Disney raising prices is as predictable as people here complaining about some thing Disney does.

If defending you mean by saying that you have a choice, don't go then you are right because that is pretty much what most folks you would describe as "defenders" say. but I know that people don't want to hear that.

At this point this stuff gets monotonous, Disney raises prices, people whine and then plan their next trip. We'll get 50 pages of why it's getting ridiculous.

The mouse world is going to do what the mouse world wants to do.

Last edited:

disneyflush

Sears used to be a well known and respected company with brand loyalty, however after 132 years Sears is going bankrupt. Kenmore and craftsmen power tools used to be great products but over the years quality went down and cost went up along with poor management. I wonder if Disney is or will go down a similar road in the future. IMO I can't see how these constant price increases and reduction in services won't eventually takes its toll on brand loyalty, guest satisfaction and repeat guests.

The barriers-to-entry to compete against WDW in the theme park business are so overwhelming that only 1 really is giving it an honest effort. Universal also prices their product at roughly the same in most instances so competition isn't forcing either to try and gain the upper hand via some price war. The market for the product puts no pricing pressure on Disney at all. When looking for a sweet spot to price anything they can pretty much just put whatever they want on it and people will pay it. Given they have shareholders and they have to find some way to lower crowds indifferent to price increases, I'm surprised they aren't raising prices more frequently. I hate the price hikes, I'm sure most of us do, but most of us are also as guilty as the next person in keeping the demand so high.

Any econ professor would tell you they can't rise prices forever without seeing push back on demand. But based on crowds they aren't even close to hitting those levels. Maybe $200 per day with very small multi-day discounts would start to see an effect. Who really knows though.

AEfx

Why don't you get in the last word arguing for the uniqueness of your specific perspective on what examples of price gouging I am allowed to be indignant about and which examples of price gouging I have to live with uncomplainingly because you don't think I should be allowed to complain about them in the same breath as complaining about Disney? :)

I don't think my perspective is especially unique, and I've really said as much as I care to about this in particular - I'd just be repeating myself. And of course, you are allowed to be indignant or not about anything you wish. Have at it.

AEfx

Disney doesn't need any excuses. It's a luxury item and it's their property. They can raise the price to $500 per day to park if they want. They don't have to have an excuse.

If you don't like it, don't go. Simple as that. One can exist without a Walt Disney World vacation just fine. When market forces dictate to Disney that their fees are too high, they will lower them. As long as a sufficient number of people keep showing up and paying the prices, they will keep raising them.

I don't know why we have to keep having this same debate over and over again.

I don't believe we've had a debate before about, well - anything. But I'm glad that you were able to take a few words from my posting as a jumping off point. You seem very angry about this, and it is healthy sometimes to just let it all out.

Maybe if it troubles you that much - you don't have to keep having that debate? Plenty of people agree with you, so I think you could take a break from it and things would still be fine.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer

Why? Ok. I’ll indulge you....

I own DVC. My basement is covered in attraction posters. My bookshelf is stacked with imagineering and designing Disney and Walt Disney books. I’ve gone to WDW multiple times a year at points in my life. Disney World and it’s underlying design and principles mean something to me.

It’s not Six Flags south. It shouldn’t be Six Flags south. It’s a bummer that Disney is working to make Walt Disney World into a nickel and dime joint. It’s a bummer that they are turning it into Baby World for morons(credit @George for that).

So I’m sorry it isn’t as simple “don’t like it don’t go”. I come here to share my thoughts and opinions with other Disney Theme Park fans. I try and avoid the fans like yourself, who view the parks as a slightly upscaled amusement park. The vacation kingdom was and should be more then that.

So I whinge about it here.

Don’t like it don’t read.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Ideally, what I'd like to see happen: Attendance starts falling, as people finally get sick of the near-across-the-board price increases. Discounts are given... but attendance doesn't rise. Prices are increased again to compensate for per-guest spending declines, in an attempt to prop up the numbers for Wall Street. It fails, plus attendance continues on a downward trend. TWDC stock drops by 40-50%. Iger leaves in 2021 with his tail between his legs. A new CEO is hired, from outside, who has some idea of what creativity is and knows that the Walt/Roy and Michael/Frank mix at the top is the best way to run a company like TWDC. Chapek is fired (and the door actually does hit him in the *** on the way out :D ), and the new CEO finds someone who is that business/creative foil to him/her to run P&R. The theme parks are enhanced/expanded, with new ideas and unique experiences, with a distinct lack of focus on "merch synergy" and Iger-acquired movie IP.

Realistic? Not bloody likely. But one can dream...

John park hopper

I liked Kenmore products for their value until the very end, which is obviously semi-problematic for me now. You always had to be somewhat careful to look for the OEM of the particular model you were buying to ensure quality, since they picked up some cheap OEMs towards the end and some of their OEMs had more quality issues as well. We're still using our Kenmore vacuum from 1991.

Did Craftsmen tools decline in quality as well? I didn't buy any of their power tools but have purchased their "manual" tools for years.

Sears had a number of problems over the years, as niche competitors stole away parts of their business, and towards the end they doomed themselves by failing to update their product and pay for good marketing. In hindsight, it's easy for everyone to identify what they did wrong. Part of it is just that they were in a brutal sector. Are any department stores doing well (even the well-run ones)?

As a comparison with Disney, I was more worried about Disney when they weren't updating the parks.
Craftsmen hand tools are still excellent, have had a set of tools since I was 15 and still have them --now well into my 6O'S. stopped buying their power tools long ago so many other brands out there that are better

Last edited:

Tom P.

I don't believe we've had a debate before about, well - anything. But I'm glad that you were able to take a few words from my posting as a jumping off point. You seem very angry about this, and it is healthy sometimes to just let it all out.

Maybe if it troubles you that much - you don't have to keep having that debate? Plenty of people agree with you, so I think you could take a break from it and things would still be fine.
I was referring to "we" in the sense of the membership of this forum, not specifically to you and me having had this debate before. I apologize if that was unclear. My intention was definitely not to attack you. It was to express frustration with the fact that every time anything comes up here relative to Disney's pricing, it seems like the same debate is rehashed over and over and over again.

The funny part is that ultimately I agree with the basic idea that Disney has raised prices too much, and that the constant nickel and diming of people seems to be moving them farther and farther away from their original mission. I could invoke Walt and his philosophies at this point, but that seems rather cliched and overdone.

But the reality -- which is what I was trying to address -- is that unless Disney stops reporting record theme park profits quarter after quarter after quarter, they are not going to stop raising prices. So far, nothing that they have done has even resulted in less increase in their profits, let alone a decrease. Yes, other units of the company, such as ESPN, have caused overall company profits some difficulty. But the parks and resorts division continues to show record profits every single quarter. And to those who run the company, that is all that matters.

John park hopper

Wouldn't be surprised if they enacted this.

The entire Main St will be reserved seating for FoF parade and it will $35 dollars a person to watch.

Coming soon to WDW--- on site guests you get to choose 3 TFP (toilet fast passes) more than 3 it will cost you for each deposit. Off site guests no TFP's for you ---you pay for every deposit

Tom P.

Why? Ok. I’ll indulge you....

I own DVC. My basement is covered in attraction posters. My bookshelf is stacked with imagineering and designing Disney and Walt Disney books. I’ve gone to WDW multiple times a year at points in my life. Disney World and it’s underlying design and principles mean something to me.

It’s not Six Flags south. It shouldn’t be Six Flags south. It’s a bummer that Disney is working to make Walt Disney World into a nickel and dime joint. It’s a bummer that they are turning it into Baby World for morons(credit @George for that).

So I’m sorry it isn’t as simple “don’t like it don’t go”. I come here to share my thoughts and opinions with other Disney Theme Park fans. I try and avoid the fans like yourself, who view the parks as a slightly upscaled amusement park. The vacation kingdom was and should be more then that.

So I whinge about it here.

Don’t like it don’t read.
I think if you'll look at the reply I just recently wrote to @AEfx you will see that you are misinterpreting some of my attitude. I dislike the nickel and diming just as much as you do. I just grow frustrated of the constant rehashing of the same points on here in every single thread that discusses anything to do with Disney pricing. Like it or not, only one thing matters to the company, and that is continuing to post record profits each quarter.

Now, that being said, when you move beyond discussions of pricing, I do have some fundamental disagreements with your assessment of Disney in the content areas. I don't have a problem with many of the new initiatives that are underway in the parks. I am not as averse to the inclusion of IP, for example, as many posters here. I certainly do not view Walt Disney World as "a slightly upscaled amusement park." Quite the contrary.

The problem is not that I only want to hold Disney to slightly upscale amusement park standards; the problem is that I don't think they are becoming that. As I have said in some other threads recently, just last month I was in Dollywood with my family. At virtually every turn, I was reminded of how different -- and how much better -- Disney is than the average amusement park. Don't get me wrong; we had fun at Dollywood. But it definitely was not WDW, and WDW is nowhere near lowering themselves to the standard of the average amusement park or even an upscale one. It is definitely still in a league all it's own.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom