Wanting to book our first cruise but I need some help first!

Zipadeelady

Original Poster
So excited about booking a cruise in 2020 but honestly I know nothing about cruises. Before I book I'm hoping that I can get a few answers first. It will be my husband and I, and a possibility my 17 year old (at the time) son.

1. Where is the best place to request a room on the ship? We don't know if we'll get sea sick, we're not light sleepers, hall noise won't bother us during the day, we like to eat and be social.

2. Is there a superior ship between the Wonder, Magic, Dream?

3. What restaurants are a must?

4. Can my 17 year old son sneak onto the adult only beach at Castaway Cay? It sound so much better to us than the family beach.

5. Is it best to get a planner?. I know there are a few kompanies on this site and a few that shall not be named. Is there anyone that someone recommends?

I appreciate anyone's opinions, especially @lostpro9het and @imahistorygeek.

ChuckElias

It is definitely worth your time to find a good travel agent who specializes in Disney travel. As you're already aware, Kingdom Konsultants sponsors this site. There are lots of other agencies that do a good job with Disney, and many that give onboard credits.

I'll give you my brief answers to your other questions.

1. Where is the best place to request a room on the ship? We don't know if we'll get sea sick, we're not light sleepers, hall noise won't bother us during the day, we like to eat and be social.
As with a lot of other things, this is a very personal choice. Typically, closer to the middle of the ship and higher on the ship are considered to be more desirable. However, there are also rooms with oversized balconies in the aft of the ship. If you're closer to the aft, then you're closer to Cabanas and the soda stations, as well as two of the rotational restaurants. If you're closer to the front, then it's easier to get to the Walt Disney Theater and Quiet Cove. So there's no "right" answer. And in my experience, there aren't really any "bad" locations, except possibly in the lowest decks. But no matter where your room is, you're still on a Disney cruise, so how bad can it be?

The Dream/Fantasy have a lot of fun "bells and whistles" like magical artwork and the Midship Detective Agency. They also have Remy, if a really high-end French cuisine experience is important to you. But the Magic/Wonder really are "classic". They're smaller, so there's not as much walking to get to dinner every night and there are fewer people on Castaway Cay.

The Wonder has Tiana's Place, and the Magic has Rapunzel's Table. But the Fantasy has a fun "show" in Animator's Palate, which you don't get on the classic ships.

Also check the shows on each ship, because they're different.

All the rotational restaurants, and Palo. Remy is great, but is very expensive so is not a "must" for me. But I love Palo, so I highly recommend you don't miss it.

4. Can my 17 year old son sneak onto the adult only beach at Castaway Cay? It sound so much better to us than the family beach.
Probably, but I would recommend against it. If anybody does ask for his key card, you'll be removed from Serenity Bay. You don't really want to be "that family" that thinks the rules don't apply to them. The family beach is great and it's huge, so you should be able to find a spot where you won't get bugged too much by little kids. There's also a lot more to do at the family beach. If you're at all interested in snorkeling, you actually don't want to be at Serenity Bay. There's Pelican Plunge, and the sports area, too.

Last edited:

lostpro9het

There is a ton of personal preference in this decision. We were always told to get a midship room when we first started cruising so you don't feel the boat/sea. We did that for a cruise or two then branched out to find that we never really felt anything more or less by staying forward or aft. That said, we're aft folks now for the size of the veranda, views when making ports, and convenience to food & entertainment on the Dream/Fantasy. Forward, aft, or midship we've never had issues with foot traffic noise.

Also very subjective.
The Wonder is cozy and has Tiana's but the ship is a bit older and the adult pool area was kinda "meh" for us.
The Dream was our first and we really enjoy the ship because we know it so well and it has a superior adult pool area and entertainment district.
The Fantasy, pretty much a mirror of The Dream, has all the familiarity of The Dream with a better adult entertainment district.
We sail The Magic in 2019 for the first time so I cant speak to it.

The dining is rotational so you'll get to experience all the regular dining but not knowing how many nights you are looking at I don't know I'd recommend Remy/Palo if it meant missing one of the rotational locations. Even if you are looking at 4+ nights I'm not sure I recommend it until you had one cruise under your belt.

Yes SB>the family beach. While I'm not one for rules I will be the first to be put off by kids in the adult area. Yes I'm a hypocrite. For all I know, thought, your son is a mini J with full facial hair and folks wouldn't know the difference anyway.

5. Is it best to get a planner?. I know there are a few kompanies on this site and a few that shall not be named. Is there anyone that someone recommends?
We only use TAs for the onboard credit and not planning. I think asking folks like @ChuckElias for cruising advice is better than asking a TA.

Have you settled on cruise length yet? I tell everyone this and think it will apply to you too, budget $250 for a placeholder. It is 100% refundable but you can never get it back once you step off the boat. It is my sole regret from our first cruise, outside of trying to do too much.

Keep asking questions!

Zipadeelady

Original Poster
It is definitely worth your time to find a good travel agent who specializes in Disney travel. As you're already aware, Kingdom Konsultants sponsors this site. There are lots of other agencies that do a good job with Disney, and many that give onboard credits.

I'll give you my brief answers to your other questions.

As with a lot of other things, this is a very personal choice. Typically, closer to the middle of the ship and higher on the ship are considered to be more desirable. However, there are also rooms with oversized balconies in the aft of the ship. If you're closer to the aft, then you're closer to Cabanas and the soda stations, as well as two of the rotational restaurants. If you're closer to the front, then it's easier to get to the Walt Disney Theater. So there's no "right" answer. And in my experience, there aren't really any "bad" locations, except possibly in the lowest decks. But no matter where your room is, you're still on a Disney cruise, so how bad can it be?

Chuck, thank you. These help a lot! I definitely don't want to be that "family" so I appreciate your answer. I'm very excited. We haven't chosen which itinerary yet so I'm not sure which ship we'll be on but I've heard a lot a Animator's Palate and would love to experience it.

Zipadeelady

Original Poster
There is a ton of personal preference in this decision. We were always told to get a midship room when we first started cruising so you don't feel the boat/sea. We did that for a cruise or two then branched out to find that we never really felt anything more or less by staying forward or aft. That said, we're aft folks now for the size of the veranda, views when making ports, and convenience to food & entertainment on the Dream/Fantasy. Forward, aft, or midship we've never had issues with foot traffic noise.

Also very subjective.
The Wonder is cozy and has Tiana's but the ship is a bit older and the adult pool area was kinda "meh" for us.
The Dream was our first and we really enjoy the ship because we know it so well and it has a superior adult pool area and entertainment district.
The Fantasy, pretty much a mirror of The Dream, has all the familiarity of The Dream with a better adult entertainment district.
We sail The Magic in 2019 for the first time so I cant speak to it.

The dining is rotational so you'll get to experience all the regular dining but not knowing how many nights you are looking at I don't know I'd recommend Remy/Palo if it meant missing one of the rotational locations. Even if you are looking at 4+ nights I'm not sure I recommend it until you had one cruise under your belt.

Yes SB>the family beach. While I'm not one for rules I will be the first to be put off by kids in the adult area. Yes I'm a hypocrite. For all I know, thought, your son is a mini J with full facial hair and folks wouldn't know the difference anyway.

We only use TAs for the onboard credit and not planning. I think asking folks like @ChuckElias for cruising advice is better than asking a TA.

Have you settled on cruise length yet? I tell everyone this and think it will apply to you too, budget $250 for a placeholder. It is 100% refundable but you can never get it back once you step off the boat. It is my sole regret from our first cruise, outside of trying to do too much.

Keep asking questions!
What itinerary or itineraries are you considering? This may make your choice of ship easy.
Ugh, I have many questions but have to run out the door for a band competition. We have picked out a few itineraries that we like. I'm guessing this cruise will be the start of many. Hopefully tonight I'll be able to get back on and fill you in.

MaryJaneP

Answers to a lot of your questions call for personal preferences, and as with anything else subjective, the preference of one person may not be what you prefer and/or experience. The ships are all excellent and your choice concerning the length of cruise (i.e. 3 or 4 night versus 6 night or more), date of departure (i.e. spring, summer, fall), itinerary (Eastern Caribbean, Western Caribbean, Alaska, Hawaii, England, Mediteranean, etc), and Port of Departure, are going to be more determinative of your ship choice than any other factor. We enjoyed all restaurants, even Remy, and have had good times with the buffet (Cabanas). Our experience on the Family Beach was that it was very calm and we would not try to sneak our kids to serenity bay but YMMV. The shows, pirate nights, fireworks were all great. We also caught movies in the theaters when our daily Navigator was otherwise listing events we did not desire to partake in. There are, however, always things to do. Have a great time.

Zipadeelady

Original Poster
Thank you All! So much good information.

A little story regarding our itineraries. I've always wanted to deport out of Port Canaveral so that I could sneak in a few Disney World days, well that may not happen this first cruise. Son really wanted to sail out of San Juan and after I looked at the prices it seemed like a great idea. Then there was a few other 4 and 5 days cruises that we thought would be nice. Then my son asks if he can bring a friend, my initial answer was no but then (he's in speech and debate and very good) he pled his case and I've caved some what. His older sisters have each taken a friend on a vacation (which has always turned out disastrous) and I swore never again, but he wants his turn and blah blah blah. All that to say the following itineraries maybe wouldn't be my first choice but since it's our first cruise and a possible extra kid I thought that these would be a good fit. These are all Jan/Feb in 2020

4 nights on the Dream departing from Port Canaveral going to CC and Nassau (which I'm not to excited about)

4 nights on the Magic departing from Miami going to Key west, CC and Nassau. Not sure about this one either since there are no at Sea days.

5 nights on the Wonder departing from San Juan arriving in New Orleans. only stop is CC. two days at sea but since @lostpro9het mentioned the adult entertainment is meh has me second guessing.

I'm leaning towards the first one since it is our first cruise. I just saw there is another Miami one that is a 5 day cruise and added a day at sea but also jumped up around $1000.00. maybe a day at sea is worth it.

Now a few more questions

Can you rent cabanas at the family beach like at the adult only beach?

What is a placeholder for $250.00? Is that the same as booking it now?

Dining rotation, is the later rotation better?

Is food included in the cost? I'm confused about that. I know you pay for alcohol. And i'm gathering that Remy, Palo and Animator's Palate is extra but is room service and cabana's in the cost? Is Dining rotation extra?

Is it best to look for excursions through Disney or on my own?

Thanks again for any info!

DisneyJoe

A little story regarding our itineraries. I've always wanted to deport out of Port Canaveral so that I could sneak in a few Disney World days, well that may not happen this first cruise. Son really wanted to sail out of San Juan and after I looked at the prices it seemed like a great idea. Then there was a few other 4 and 5 days cruises that we thought would be nice. Then my son asks if he can bring a friend, my initial answer was no but then (he's in speech and debate and very good) he pled his case and I've caved some what. His older sisters have each taken a friend on a vacation (which has always turned out disastrous) and I swore never again, but he wants his turn and blah blah blah. All that to say the following itineraries maybe wouldn't be my first choice but since it's our first cruise and a possible extra kid I thought that these would be a good fit. These are all Jan/Feb in 2020

4 nights on the Dream departing from Port Canaveral going to CC and Nassau (which I'm not to excited about)

4 nights on the Magic departing from Miami going to Key west, CC and Nassau. Not sure about this one either since there are no at Sea days.

5 nights on the Wonder departing from San Juan arriving in New Orleans. only stop is CC. two days at sea but since @lostpro9het mentioned the adult entertainment is meh has me second guessing.

I'm leaning towards the first one since it is our first cruise. I just saw there is another Miami one that is a 5 day cruise and added a day at sea but also jumped up around $1000.00. maybe a day at sea is worth it.

Now a few more questions

Is food included in the cost? I'm confused about that. I know you pay for alcohol. And i'm gathering that Remy, Palo and Animator's Palate is extra but is room service and cabana's in the cost? Is Dining rotation extra?

Dinner (Animator's Palette and the other 2 locations on your rotation) and Cabana's is included and there is usually a table service location open during the day and that is included, so is room service, except if you order soft drinks with room service there is a charge and you are also expected to tip. The drink station on the top deck is included, soft drinks, etc.

Food at Cookies and Cookies Too on Castaway Cay is included, you would only need to pay for alcohol.

Preludes (movie/theater snacks and beverages) is extra, and as you said, Palo, and Remy.

love disney

I've done the 4 night Dream cruise from Port Canaveral three times, twice with just me and my wife, once with wife, two young kids, and their grandmother. Loved all three of the cruises! Day at sea is crowded since obviously everyone is on the ship, but still great for exploring the ship, pool, etc.

I prefer the later dining rotation as if gives more time for excursions, pool, beach, etc. If you enjoy the live entertainment (shows), late dining means you have to go to the early show so keep that in mind.

The dining rotation is free, as is all the food, sodas, etc. (including soft serve ice cream by the pool!). You only pay for alcoholic beverages and the premium restaurants Palo and Remy.

ChuckElias

I'm going to sound like a broken record, , since this is how I started my previous reply, but this depends heavily on personal taste.

I just did 4 nights on the Dream in April and had an AMAZING time. We had perfect weather and since we're not huge fans of Nassau, we stayed on the ship and had a lot of space to ourselves.

I love the Magic, and I haven't been to Key West in over 10 years. So this one would be my personal choice. The newer ships don't go to Key West because they're too big. So if you like Key West, the Magic is your best bet. Sea days are nice, but they're also when the ship is most crowded (obviously). So I would treat my day in Nassau as a sea day and enjoy the heck out of Key West and Castaway Cay.

If your son is really excited about San Juan, however, the Wonder sailing would be great. You could get into San Juan a couple days early and enjoy the city, then cruise to New Orleans. (Or you could stay in New Orleans a couple days afterwards.) On a 5-night sailing, I'm not sure what your adult entertainment options would be. Probably a comedian, a magician, or a juggler in the lounges in the evening. There might also be an "adult" game show, like "Meet Your Mate" (basically the Newlywed Game) or something similar. If those don't appeal to you, there's always a movie in the Buena Vista Theater. Your live shows in the Walt Disney Theater will be Disney Dreams and the Golden Mickeys (which is personally, my favorite DCL show). They're both classics! And you get a day at Castaway Cay.

Longer is always better, IMHO, but you have to decide if the extra money is worth it. Is that $1000 per person, or total? That would make a difference for me.

Yup, and it's probably even more valuable on the family beach. It would be a great way to get away from any crowds, and still have access to the beach. Our cabana on Serenity Bay was very nice (my wife and daughter absolutely LOVED it), but I wouldn't say that we needed it. Serenity Bay is more laid back, and obviously quieter than the family beach. So I'm not sure I would do it again at Serenity Bay. But for the family beach, you might feel that it's well worth the money. HOWEVER, since it's your first Disney cruise, there may not be any cabanas available by the time your reservation window opens 75 days before sailing. Keep checking, though, because people do cancel as the cruise gets closer.

A placeholder is a reservation that you make onboard for your NEXT cruise. It gives you a reservation number and guarantees your 10% discount and onboard credit, but you don't have to pick a specific date. Then when you know the exact sailing you want, you call and make your full deposit.

Again, this is simply personal taste. My family eats dinner at about 5 or 5:30, so we prefer early dining. However, families with young kids also like the early dining, so that in itself might be a reason for you to consider late dining. For me, if I sit down to a meal at 8 or 8:30 and I don't finish eating by 9:45, I will be uncomfortable when I want to go to bed. I prefer going to dinner and then enjoying the show afterwards. But my sister likes to nibble throughout the afternoon (chicken fingers, pizza, etc.) and she likes late dinner because if she has chicken and fries at 4:30, she's not ready for a big meal at 5:45.

Totally a personal choice.

Is food included in the cost?
Your meals at the rotational restaurants (including Animator's Palate) are included in your cruise fare. All the quick service food is included. (That includes soft serve ice cream, but NOT gelato on the Dream and Fantasy.) And meals at Cabanas are included (both the buffets at breakfast/lunch and table service for dinner). There is a limited room service menu that's also included. (I'm telling you, it's hard to beat having coffee and chocolate croissants delivered to the room in the morning and then eating them on the veranda!)

I know you pay for alcohol.
Correct, but they offer wine packages, and beer mugs that are refillable at a discounted price. Also, you can bring a couple bottles of wine onboard with you with no charge and can bring a glass to dinner.

And i'm gathering that Remy, Palo and Animator's Palate is extra
Remy and Palo are extra. (Although when you reach the Platinum Castaway Club level, you get one free meal at Palo.) As I mentioned above, Animator's Palate is included in your cruise fare. No upcharge for that.

Is Dining rotation extra?
Just in case you're still confused about this, the "dining rotation" is simply the 3 restaurants that are included in your cruise fare. You go to a different one each night, and your serving team goes with you. So you "rotate" through the free restaurants. There's no extra charge for the "rotation".

Another matter of personal taste. Booking through DCL is easier and more convenient. Easier, because it's done on their website or onboard. More convenient, because they tell you where to meet for the excursion and then walk you right to the bus or boat or tour guide. (This is definitely NOT how it's done on Norwegian Cruise Line. Ugh!)

However, you can book tours on your own that will having smaller group sizes, or even private tours. You can get them a little cheaper on their own, because DCL adds a little to the cost of the excursion to make a profit for themselves. If you want some suggestions for tour companies to look at, I'm sure people here will have some info to share.

One extra benefit of booking your excursion through DCL is that if your excursion is late returning for any reason, the cruise promises to wait for you. If you tour on your own, or with a private company and they can't get you back to the ship before departure time, you could be left behind. (Some tour companies promise to get you to the next port of call if they cause you to miss the ship's departure, so you want to check on that.)

Hope that's helpful.

Zipadeelady

Original Poster
I'm going to sound like a broken record, , since this is how I started my previous reply, but this depends heavily on personal taste.

I just did 4 nights on the Dream in April and had an AMAZING time. We had perfect weather and since we're not huge fans of Nassau, we stayed on the ship and had a lot of space to ourselves.

I love the Magic, and I haven't been to Key West in over 10 years. So this one would be my personal choice. The newer ships don't go to Key West because they're too big. So if you like Key West, the Magic is your best bet. Sea days are nice, but they're also when the ship is most crowded (obviously). So I would treat my day in Nassau as a sea day and enjoy the heck out of Key West and Castaway Cay.

If your son is really excited about San Juan, however, the Wonder sailing would be great. You could get into San Juan a couple days early and enjoy the city, then cruise to New Orleans. (Or you could stay in New Orleans a couple days afterwards.) On a 5-night sailing, I'm not sure what your adult entertainment options would be. Probably a comedian, a magician, or a juggler in the lounges in the evening. There might also be an "adult" game show, like "Meet Your Mate" (basically the Newlywed Game) or something similar. If those don't appeal to you, there's always a movie in the Buena Vista Theater. Your live shows in the Walt Disney Theater will be Disney Dreams and the Golden Mickeys (which is personally, my favorite DCL show). They're both classics! And you get a day at Castaway Cay.

Longer is always better, IMHO, but you have to decide if the extra money is worth it. Is that $1000 per person, or total? That would make a difference for me.

Yup, and it's probably even more valuable on the family beach. It would be a great way to get away from any crowds, and still have access to the beach. Our cabana on Serenity Bay was very nice (my wife and daughter absolutely LOVED it), but I wouldn't say that we needed it. Serenity Bay is more laid back, and obviously quieter than the family beach. So I'm not sure I would do it again at Serenity Bay. But for the family beach, you might feel that it's well worth the money. HOWEVER, since it's your first Disney cruise, there may not be any cabanas available by the time your reservation window opens 75 days before sailing. Keep checking, though, because people do cancel as the cruise gets closer.

A placeholder is a reservation that you make onboard for your NEXT cruise. It gives you a reservation number and guarantees your 10% discount and onboard credit, but you don't have to pick a specific date. Then when you know the exact sailing you want, you call and make your full deposit.

Again, this is simply personal taste. My family eats dinner at about 5 or 5:30, so we prefer early dining. However, families with young kids also like the early dining, so that in itself might be a reason for you to consider late dining. For me, if I sit down to a meal at 8 or 8:30 and I don't finish eating by 9:45, I will be uncomfortable when I want to go to bed. I prefer going to dinner and then enjoying the show afterwards. But my sister likes to nibble throughout the afternoon (chicken fingers, pizza, etc.) and she likes late dinner because if she has chicken and fries at 4:30, she's not ready for a big meal at 5:45.

Totally a personal choice.

Your meals at the rotational restaurants (including Animator's Palate) are included in your cruise fare. All the quick service food is included. (That includes soft serve ice cream, but NOT gelato on the Dream and Fantasy.) And meals at Cabanas are included (both the buffets at breakfast/lunch and table service for dinner). There is a limited room service menu that's also included. (I'm telling you, it's hard to beat having coffee and chocolate croissants delivered to the room in the morning and then eating them on the veranda!)

Correct, but they offer wine packages, and beer mugs that are refillable at a discounted price. Also, you can bring a couple bottles of wine onboard with you with no charge and can bring a glass to dinner.

Remy and Palo are extra. (Although when you reach the Platinum Castaway Club level, you get one free meal at Palo.) As I mentioned above, Animator's Palate is included in your cruise fare. No upcharge for that.

Just in case you're still confused about this, the "dining rotation" is simply the 3 restaurants that are included in your cruise fare. You go to a different one each night, and your serving team goes with you. So you "rotate" through the free restaurants. There's no extra charge for the "rotation".

Another matter of personal taste. Booking through DCL is easier and more convenient. Easier, because it's done on their website or onboard. More convenient, because they tell you where to meet for the excursion and then walk you right to the bus or boat or tour guide. (This is definitely NOT how it's done on Norwegian Cruise Line. Ugh!)

However, you can book tours on your own that will having smaller group sizes, or even private tours. You can get them a little cheaper on their own, because DCL adds a little to the cost of the excursion to make a profit for themselves. If you want some suggestions for tour companies to look at, I'm sure people here will have some info to share.

One extra benefit of booking your excursion through DCL is that if your excursion is late returning for any reason, the cruise promises to wait for you. If you tour on your own, or with a private company and they can't get you back to the ship before departure time, you could be left behind. (Some tour companies promise to get you to the next port of call if they cause you to miss the ship's departure, so you want to check on that.)

Hope that's helpful.
Chuck you're unbelievable! If your not a TA, you should be!! So much of this has helped me to understand a bit more about the cruises. I do like the idea of staying on the boat at Nassau. Also arriving early to San Juan has a huge appeal, not sure how I feel about New Orleans. If it was just me and the husband I would probably feel different. Thanks again and I know I'll be back with questions.

Phonedave

So excited about booking a cruise in 2020 but honestly I know nothing about cruises. Before I book I'm hoping that I can get a few answers first. It will be my husband and I, and a possibility my 17 year old (at the time) son.

I appreciate anyone's opinions, especially @lostpro9het and @imahistorygeek.

You already got some good answers and follow up answers but:

1) Depending on the ship, do not take a room under the night club. It's one thing to be under a restaurant where you may hear them cleaning or setting up (that I can sleep through). It is entirely an other to be awoken multiple times each night (and you kids too) by the night club.

2) Use a TA. Same price as doing it yourself, but you will likely get some on-board credits (or at least a snazzy luggage tag)

3) What is included and what is extra dining was covered. If you are going to book "optional" dining, I would advise to do it on a day when you will be going back to a rotational dining room that you already ate at.

4) Don't be that person at Castaway Cay or in the adults only section of the ship that sneaks in an underage kid. I know it is hard, but it is one of my biggest peeves about DCL. They don't enforce it very well. Yes, your kid may be the best behaved most mature 17 y/o on the face of the earth - still, don't do it.

5) Be careful with excursions. Make sure you know when they will be taking you back to the ship. Many of the excursions are at locations a distance from the ship - maybe even on an island - there may not be transportation back to the ship until THEY decide to take you back. It's not as if you will miss the ship, but you will be "held captive" on the excursion. I have been on some (like a Nassau sting ray swim) where you are taken out to their island. After you swim with the rays, we had to wait about 2-3 hours until the boat back to the port left. Nothing to do but sit on their beach and try to to pay their inflated prices for food, drinks, and souvenirs. We much rather would have gone back earlier and enjoyed the ship.

-dave

Last edited:

MotherofaPrincessLover

This is just personal preference, but for a first cruise, I would sail out of Port Canaveral. I'd take Disney transportation to and from the port. Our last cruise was out of San Juan and I would've felt very overwhelmed had that been our first cruise. We had to handle our luggage until we got to the terminal and with 2 young kids that was tough. Also, the terminal isn't as nice as Port Canaveral's which I think can make an impression for the first cruise.

Zipadeelady

Original Poster
This is just personal preference, but for a first cruise, I would sail out of Port Canaveral. I'd take Disney transportation to and from the port. Our last cruise was out of San Juan and I would've felt very overwhelmed had that been our first cruise. We had to handle our luggage until we got to the terminal and with 2 young kids that was tough. Also, the terminal isn't as nice as Port Canaveral's which I think can make an impression for the first cruise.
Good advise regarding San Juan. I may still try to sneak in a day at Disney :cautious: so Port Canaveral is still high on my list.

You already got some good answers and follow up answers but:

1) Depending on the ship, do not take a room under the night club. It's one thing to be under a restaurant where you may hear them cleaning or setting up (that I can sleep through). It is entirely an other to be awoken multiple times each night (and you kids too) by the night club.

2) Use a TA. Same price as doing it yourself, but you will likely get some on-board credits (or at least a snazzy luggage tag)

3) What is included and what is extra dining was covered. If you are going to book "optional" dining, I would advise to do it on a day when you will be going back to a rotational dining room that you already ate at.

4) Don't be that person at Castaway Cay or in the adults only section of the ship that sneaks in an underage kid. I know it is hard, but it is one of my biggest peeves about DCL. They don't enforce it very well. Yes, your kid may be the best behaved most mature 17 y/o on the face of the earth - still, don't do it.

5) Be careful with excursions. Make sure you know when they will be taking you back to the ship. Many of the excursions are at locations a distance from the ship - maybe even on an island - there may not be transportation back to the ship until THEY decide to take you back. It's not as if you will miss the ship, but you will be "held captive" on the excursion. I have been on some (like a Nassau sting ray swim) where you are taken out to their island. After you swim with the rays, we had to wait about 2-3 hours until the boat back to the port left. Nothing to do but sit on their beach and try to to pay their inflated prices for food, drinks, and souvenirs. We much rather would have gone back earlier and enjoyed the ship.

-dave
Good to know about the excursions. My son keeps talking about snorkeling so I'll have to find a good snorkel spot. I'll keep your advise on the back of my mind.

Don't worry, I won't try to take my son over to Serenity Bay. I would've if 17 years old was ok but I guess the age has to start somewhere. I really will try for a cabana for the family beach though.

Zipadeelady

Original Poster
I went back and checked, staying for 5 nights with an extra day at sea is $1300.00 more total.

We have decided on deporting out of Miami with a stop to Key West. Now just need to decide if we'll do the 4 day or 5 day. Ahhh decisions decisions.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom