Trip Report The Never-Ending Summer Of Disney *COMPLETED*

Seriously?!!

Can you believe it??

BC7AE996-5BB5-4770-9C10-F20CE1197633.jpeg

This is jaw-dropping news!!

If only.

Two things in life give me the blues ~ the end of summer and the end of a Disney vacation. A never-ending summer of Disney would be a dream come true! But I am certainly happy to “settle” for a WDW vacay in June....in July....and in August. 😊And rather than write three separate trip reports (and annoy @amjt660 when my *COMPLETED* report really isn’t 😉) I decided to take @Rista1313 ’s suggestion and post an ongoing travelogue, à la @blgauger style.

So let’s get started!

Vacation #1
June 16-24, 2018
Tuvalu, Woody and Em get pampered at Disney’s Wilderness Lodge

Was there rain? Any snarky Cast Members? Ridiculous guest behavior? A Magic meet-up? How many times did we watch Happily Ever After?

You’ll have to follow along to find out.

Songbird76

Is it possible that they are from another country where something like that is normal? :bored:
That was my thought. We actually have changing rooms over here that are open to anyone....it's basically like a high school locker room, but not necessarily gender specific, because there are dads with daughters and moms with sons. It's not considered a huge deal over here. It still makes me a bit uncomfortable, but that's because I was raised in the US where such things would not be condoned. But because the Dutch have always done it this way, it's completely normal to them.

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
Refreshed from my Mickey D’s Coke, I now continue with Sunday at the Oasis pool......

Woody returned to his lounger to read. I, the sunflower, was so happy the sun was out that I sat in the shallow end of the pool, soaking up the rays while being cooled by the water. I really missed my fellow sunflower @TrolleyFollower91 and wished she’d been there with me. Woody did join me in the pool later.

It was great leaving the pool when we wanted too, not because a thunderstorm was chasing us out. (We would not be so lucky on other days.)

The path that goes past Fiji leads to Luau Cove.

B5A0DFFD-0806-4371-9EC2-228D972968DC.jpeg

Meant to get a picture with the giant Tiki but never did.

WARNING: The rest of this post contains a grumbly rant. Skip ahead if you prefer not to read it.

Woody and I agree that one of the niceties of being on vacation is having Housekeeping clean our room. Now we are not messy people.....just an unmade bed and folded used towels on the floor. Still it is a pleasure to have someone else make the bed, hang clean towels and empty the trash. Room servicing is so important to us that we would never “opt out” even for a gift card. That’s how we roll.

It’s no secret that Disney has made deep cuts to their Housekeeping staff. The fact that they offer “opting out” at the values and moderates speaks volumes. But each cut means a job loss for someone and extra work for the staff that remains. Sadly this is how corporate America operates ~ cut costs to make the “numbers” look good while forgetting that there are people behind those numbers.

Disney charges a premium to stay at their deluxe resorts and it is not unrealistic for guests to expect a high level of service ~ a major one being room servicing at a reasonable hour. Regular shifts start at 8:30 am (which is early for late risers, but using the privacy sign can avoid an unpleasant knock on the door) and there are lots of folks who are gone for breakfast/the parks meaning those rooms are ready for cleaning. IMO all rooms should be serviced by 2 pm for returning guests, 3 pm for new check-ins.

I complained earlier in this report about the shoddy Housekeeping service Em and I received last month at Beach Club. We had good service at the WL in June, but horrid service at the GF in May. So our track record for deluxe Housekeeping this year has not been good and was about to get worse.

Wet and sweaty from the pool, we opened our door at 4 pm to an unmade room. My blood pressure shot up, for all the reasons I described above. Maintaining my composure, I dialed Housekeeping. The CM promised to send someone right over (the cleaning carts were still in the hallway.) Woody and I decided to sit on the balcony in order to give the housekeeper free rein of the room.

The views lowered my BP.
6B8FDF84-9992-4F3B-BE7A-E6FAC2EBFF11.jpeg

9558A874-A946-49DB-A12E-D955BC45B6E3.jpeg

Woody and I chatted, our backs to the room. We hung out on the balcony for 45 minutes. When I turned to go inside, my BP spiked.

No one had serviced our room!!

I opened our room door, intending to speak to a housekeeper still servicing rooms on our floor.

All the Housekeeping carts in the hallway were GONE!

“I am going to the front desk,” I announced to Woody. (He didn’t ask why. One look at me and he knew.)

I believe in being nice (but firm) when voicing a complaint. Matter-of-factly I explained our situation to the Duty Manager. She was extremely apologetic, agreed with my concerns and scheduled a servicing for 7 pm (when Woody and I would be out of the room). She also scheduled our daily housekeeping for between 9 am and noon for the rest of our stay. I was given her direct number should anything else arise.

I returned to our room and told Woody to go ahead and shower. I put the privacy sign on the door. When he finished it was my turn. I had just turned on the spigot when there were several loud raps on our room door....AT 5:30 PM. WITH THE PRIVACY SIGN ON THE DOOR HANDLE.

Woody had barely finished dressing. He opened the door to a maid wanting to clean our room. He informed her that our cleaning was scheduled for 7 pm and she seemed confused.

Needless to say, the Duty Manager received a text after I finished showering.

susan lees

Sunday, con’t

Woody and I sat on our loungers for a few minutes to air-dry before packing up to transfer to the quiet pool. If you recall this was the view from our chairs ~
View attachment 315105

However we could also see a lot of the pool deck area to the left of the picture above.

View attachment 315104

The following story is not about the gentleman in the blue bathing suit nor the one in the orange suit. The incident we witnessed happened a few feet closer to the pool from where they’re standing....in other words, in a very visible location in the middle of the entry area to the pool.

There was a family of 4 ~ Mom, Dad and two daughters who looked between 7-9 years old ~ who decided to use that space as their personal changing area. I happened to glance over just as the girls had transitioned from bathing suits to birthday suits. Mom tossed them underwear and sundresses which they proceeded to put on.

My first thought was, Don’t they realize that there are TWO sets of bathrooms (one under the pool waterfall and one directly behind Woody and me) mere steps from where they are standing?!! My second thought was, What poor parental judgment to allow their daughters to be nude in the sight of strangers!

Just when I thought I’d seen the worst of it, Dad grabbed a white pool towel from a nearby chair (which held all their stuff) and positioned it around his waist. Mom grabbed both ends of the towel and tried to hold it steady while Dad shimmied out of his trunks (quite the feat). Mom produced a pair of black Jockeys which Dad attempted to put on while Mom continued to hold the towel (which did not totally cover things if you get my drift). Once the black Jockeys covered the man parts, Mom dropped the towel. Dad then retrieved his shorts from the chair and pulled them on. He then put on his shirt while Mom (who was wearing clothes, not swimwear) gathered up their belongings from the chair. The family then went on their merry way.

I could not make this stuff up.
Shocking!! I've heard it all now. :eek:

MinnieM123

Premium Member
WTH??!!

Seems the Oasis Grill has done away with the walk up window, similar to the change that was made at Geyser Point at the WL....a quick service that is now table service. Not happy with this!

Haven't been over to the Polynesian, ever since they built those bungalows on the water. From previous photos that members have shared, the Oasis Grill looked like a convenient, outdoor QS location. Wonder how long Captain Cook's will survive? ;)

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Refreshed from my Mickey D’s Coke, I now continue with Sunday at the Oasis pool......

Woody returned to his lounger to read. I, the sunflower, was so happy the sun was out that I sat in the shallow end of the pool, soaking up the rays while being cooled by the water. I really missed my fellow sunflower @TrolleyFollower91 and wished she’d been there with me. Woody did join me in the pool later.

It was great leaving the pool when we wanted too, not because a thunderstorm was chasing us out. (We would not be so lucky on other days.)

The path that goes past Fiji leads to Luau Cove.

View attachment 315321
Meant to get a picture with the giant Tiki but never did.

WARNING: The rest of this post contains a grumbly rant. Skip ahead if you prefer not to read it.

Woody and I agree that one of the niceties of being on vacation is having Housekeeping clean our room. Now we are not messy people.....just an unmade bed and folded used towels on the floor. Still it is a pleasure to have someone else make the bed, hang clean towels and empty the trash. Room servicing is so important to us that we would never “opt out” even for a gift card. That’s how we roll.

It’s no secret that Disney has made deep cuts to their Housekeeping staff. The fact that they offer “opting out” at the values and moderates speaks volumes. But each cut means a job loss for someone and extra work for the staff that remains. Sadly this is how corporate America operates ~ cut costs to make the “numbers” look good while forgetting that there are people behind those numbers.

Disney charges a premium to stay at their deluxe resorts and it is not unrealistic for guests to expect a high level of service ~ a major one being room servicing at a reasonable hour. Regular shifts start at 8:30 am (which is early for late risers, but using the privacy sign can avoid an unpleasant knock on the door) and there are lots of folks who are gone for breakfast/the parks meaning those rooms are ready for cleaning. IMO all rooms should be serviced by 2 pm for returning guests, 3 pm for new check-ins.

I complained earlier in this report about the shoddy Housekeeping service Em and I received last month at Beach Club. We had good service at the WL in June, but horrid service at the GF in May. So our track record for deluxe Housekeeping this year has not been good and was about to get worse.

Wet and sweaty from the pool, we opened our door at 4 pm to an unmade room. My blood pressure shot up, for all the reasons I described above. Maintaining my composure, I dialed Housekeeping. The CM promised to send someone right over (the cleaning carts were still in the hallway.) Woody and I decided to sit on the balcony in order to give the housekeeper free rein of the room.

The views lowered my BP.
View attachment 315323

View attachment 315322

Woody and I chatted, our backs to the room. We hung out on the balcony for 45 minutes. When I turned to go inside, my BP spiked.

No one had serviced our room!!

I opened our room door, intending to speak to a housekeeper still servicing rooms on our floor.

All the Housekeeping carts in the hallway were GONE!

“I am going to the front desk,” I announced to Woody. (He didn’t ask why. One look at me and he knew.)

I believe in being nice (but firm) when voicing a complaint. Matter-of-factly I explained our situation to the Duty Manager. She was extremely apologetic, agreed with my concerns and scheduled a servicing for 7 pm (when Woody and I would be out of the room). She also scheduled our daily housekeeping for between 9 am and noon for the rest of our stay. I was given her direct number should anything else arise.

I returned to our room and told Woody to go ahead and shower. I put the privacy sign on the door. When he finished it was my turn. I had just turned on the spigot when there were several loud raps on our room door....AT 5:30 PM. WITH THE PRIVACY SIGN ON THE DOOR HANDLE.

Woody had barely finished dressing. He opened the door to a maid wanting to clean our room. He informed her that our cleaning was scheduled for 7 pm and she seemed confused.

Needless to say, the Duty Manager received a text after I finished showering.

A truly "deluxe" resort should be run like a deluxe resort. For the amount of money they charge the guests, there's no excuse for inconsistent cleaning schedules.

LadyBelle

In the Parks
No
A truly "deluxe" resort should be run like a deluxe resort. For the amount of money they charge the guests, there's no excuse for inconsistent cleaning schedules.

I agree. But, I’m one of those people who don’t mind if my room is not serviced. Call it paranoia and/or saving the planet. Now, if I were there for a longer period of time, I might.

I wish I had the opportunity to opt out when I was there last November. Housekeeping did come around 9 am when we were hanging out in the room before leaving. She was a bit shocked when I opened the door.

MinnieM123

Premium Member
I agree. But, I’m one of those people who don’t mind if my room is not serviced. Call it paranoia and/or saving the planet. Now, if I were there for a longer period of time, I might.

I wish I had the opportunity to opt out when I was there last November. Housekeeping did come around 9 am when we were hanging out in the room before leaving. She was a bit shocked when I opened the door.

Yes, I've heard they come early . . . on your departure morning only! ;)

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
We found a table and waited.
And waited.
And waited.

View attachment 315255

As we waited, we noticed there were only TWO servers ~ both working the entire pool area. Of course the minute we’d left our loungers we saw a server delivering food to folks adjacent to our chairs. :banghead: And now that we were at a table the remaining server was running back and forth to the kitchen for food.

Disney, if you are going to eliminate self-serve......STAFF for full serve!

View attachment 315256

The server was out of breath when she came to our table. We ordered waters and Cokes as she dropped menus for us.

View attachment 315257

View attachment 315258

View attachment 315259

She returned with our drinks in small plastic cups from the bar. I was expecting the usual Disney-themed paper cups, since the self-serve beverage fountain/mug refill station is still at the far end of the facility.

I don’t care for Coke from a bar. The carbonation is never correct making the Coke tastes flat. (Yes I am very particular over the taste of Coke....and nothing beats Coke from McDonald’s.)

I would have preferred being given a paper cup and getting my own Coke from the beverage station, but the Oasis doesn’t “do that.” (Odd since that is exactly what Capt. Cook’s does.)

Our meals arrived in take-out containers.

View attachment 315260

We both ordered the grilled chicken avocado wrap. It was freshly prepared and very good.

It just bugged me to tip for counter service food.

Ugh. We just found this also at the Wilderness Lodge at Geyser Point. Worse is their new DVC Geyser Point that is almost always empty of guests, price gouging at its finest.

We find it difficult to eat at Geyser as you now have to be seated now and it is extremely difficult to eat at their tables as they are coffee tables meant for drinks and appetizers. Awkward to eat bending over a knee high table. The more Disney messes with Dining the more excuses they need. The few days at Club Level they also seemed to forget to replenish food. Club level use to be a fine vacation indulgence.

So it isn't just the Poly, Wilderness dining is struggling to find themselves too and failing.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom