India Pavilion?

Rodan75

Just my opinion and I'm sure I'll get hammered for it, but I could not care less about an India pavilion. Doesn't move the needle for me one iota. I'd ride the ride if there was one, but unless it was memorable in some way I couldn't see myself being a repeat visitor.

I agree with you...but I think it could speak to a large percentage of visitors, especially if they have a JB ride.

Brer Oswald

Just my opinion and I'm sure I'll get hammered for it, but I could not care less about an India pavilion. Doesn't move the needle for me one iota. I'd ride the ride if there was one, but unless it was memorable in some way I couldn't see myself being a repeat visitor.
Not to mention with how much of a stake that India has in Animal Kingdom’s Asia, it seems like it would be a huge misuse of space to put it in World Showcase.

Lensman

I agree with you...but I think it could speak to a large percentage of visitors, especially if they have a JB ride.
It's not only that. I think that India has a long cultural and economic history that is worthy of a pavilion. It is also the sixth largest world economy and so they should be able to put out the money for the pavilion, if they are willing. Assuming that Brazil (8th) is in, India would be the only top 10 world economy left out of the World Showcase.

Another factor is that for many people living in this hemisphere, they're less likely to visit in their lifetime so I think it makes for a good "World Showcase" experience. And it probably will encourage real travel.

Plus I'm optimistic that Disney won't be able to totally mess up the food, which I'd actually quite look forward to!

JohnD

Not to mention with how much of a stake that India has in Animal Kingdom’s Asia, it seems like it would be a huge misuse of space to put it in World Showcase.

Exactly. The vibe of AK's Asia is mostly India and Tibet. (The Far East is already well-represented in Epcot with China and Japan.) It's for the same reason you don't need a sub-Saharan African country in Epcot as they are well-represented generically in AK.

Last edited:

Weather_Lady

It's not only that. I think that India has a long cultural and economic history that is worthy of a pavilion. It is also the sixth largest world economy and so they should be able to put out the money for the pavilion, if they are willing. Assuming that Brazil (8th) is in, India would be the only top 10 world economy left out of the World Showcase.

Another factor is that for many people living in this hemisphere, they're less likely to visit in their lifetime so I think it makes for a good "World Showcase" experience. And it probably will encourage real travel.

Plus I'm optimistic that Disney won't be able to totally mess up the food, which I'd actually quite look forward to!

I'd love to see an India pavilion, if only for the restaurant possibilities. I know I've made this comment here before, but I think Indian cuisine is incredibly underrepresented at WDW. Of course, in order to to it justice, Disney would have to resist dumbing it down or Americanizing it.

nickys

Premium Member
Previously, @marni1971 had said that an India Pavilion was possible, but not as high on the list.

Didn’t one of the probable sponsors of the favoured Brazil pavilion get done for corruption? So maybe India has worked it’s way up the list now......, especially if there is a potential sponsor willing to put money on the table. I’m sure @marni1971 said that ultimately the first new pavilion would likely be one for which a sponsor agreed terms quickest.

To verify this rumor, we should follow the money...
Who would sponsor???

The Tata group would be my guess. I think they are owned by a group with a big philanthropic interest. And I’m quite sure they could stump up the cash.

Lensman

I'd love to see an India pavilion, if only for the restaurant possibilities. I know I've made this comment here before, but I think Indian cuisine is incredibly underrepresented at WDW. Of course, in order to to it justice, Disney would have to resist dumbing it down or Americanizing it.
I think the beauty of Indian cuisine is that it survives pretty well being dumbed down - chicken tikka masala is fine. Maybe it's because i didn't grow up with Indian food, but the stuff I eat in restaurants here seems fine to me. (Though looking at reviews of the Taste of India food court reviews on Yelp, I'm less optimistic.)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom