Dinner at BOG

Sparksfly

Original Poster
We have dinner reservations here in November. I know the menu has been changed to prix fixe since our last trip. Has anyone been able to go in and just order appetizers and desert/drinks like you were once able to or do you have to order a full meal now?

sxeensweet

Love a little Disney every day!! ;)
Everyone pays the set price that is on the reservation now, and has to order off of the pre fixe menu so no you cannot just pay for individual items like only apps or deserts etc. :)

We just ate there at the end of July, right after the new price fixe menu went into effect and you can not just order dessert or single items. Everyone in the party has to order from price fixe menu. It was really good thought. Much better than in the past. You will enjoy!!

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Like others have stated...the cost is the same regardless of weather you eat everything they give you or just a single almond macaroon.

HwdStudio

We have dinner reservations here in November. I know the menu has been changed to prix fixe since our last trip. Has anyone been able to go in and just order appetizers and desert/drinks like you were once able to or do you have to order a full meal now?
Going in for just an appetizer, a drink or just dessert is the reason BOG went Prix Fixe.

When guest search for loopholes just to get in the door to see the restaurant or the Beast not paying for a full meal it affected Disney’s bottom line and to a great extent the tips to the servers. It was so bad that at times half of the dinner crowd was doing just dessert, at least what I was told be a server. So because of this we are all punished.

DisAl

Everyone pays the set price that is on the reservation now, and has to order off of the pre fixe menu so no you cannot just pay for individual items like only apps or deserts etc. :)
I suspect this is the main reason they made the change. No more tables taken up by people who just want to get a desert just to see the place.
However, since we usually use the dining plan we have probably had our last dinner there. Compared to what you get in other locations for two credits BOG is simply not worth it.

Sparksfly

Original Poster
I think if theres a party dining at BOG and one person in the party wishes to have appetizer only it should be considered. I don't see anything wrong with that. I have a child who does not like the items on the diner menu but he does like one of the appetizers and he loves the cupcakes and the slushies in the light up goblets. In years past we would order him those and bring our own sandwich etc for him. He loves the restaurant and meeting Beast but he does not like the food, while the rest of our family does enjoy the food as well as the restaurant. The option to order what we needed worked a lot better for us and for other families with picky eaters. Its not about wanting to "just get in".

Last edited:

Sparksfly

Original Poster
Also...weve dined in BOG for dinner at least 5 times in the past few years. Every single time there hasnt been an empty table...even when we ate late. Cupcakes or not they did well in keeping those tables filled at all times. The people in there were vigilant in getting the reservation and the people in there are paying to be there...even if theyre paying $25 for a cupcake and a drink. Those people buying a cupcake and a drink cut down the occupancy of that table while still providing them with significant revenue...for a cupcake and a drink..and allowing another party...buying $25 cupcakes and drinks..to occupy the table all in half the time than someone ordering a $32 dinner. I would spend at least $35 on my son alone every time weve had dinner there...for a drink, a cupcake, and an appetizer. Disney got their money, I stayed on top of reservations to ensure we could be there, and all were happy.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Also...weve dined in BOG for dinner at least 5 times in the past few years. Every single time there hasnt been an empty table...even when we ate late. Cupcakes or not they did well in keeping those tables filled at all times. The people in there were vigilant in getting the reservation and the people in there are paying to be there...even if theyre paying $25 for a cupcake and a drink. Those people buying a cupcake and a drink cut down the occupancy of that table while still providing them with significant revenue...for a cupcake and a drink..and allowing another party...buying $25 cupcakes and drinks..to occupy the table all in half the time than someone ordering a $32 dinner. I would spend at least $35 on my son alone every time weve had dinner there...for a drink, a cupcake, and an appetizer. Disney got their money, I stayed on top of reservations to ensure we could be there, and all were happy.
"Significant" is a relative term. What would be a great check for one restaurant might not even cover costs in another. It certainly does not help matters when a large number of dessert only tables drops your per guest spending average below a point that the people that write the checks deem as adequate, which is what was happening at BoG.

While you might have dropped $35 on your child, there were way too many guests that were ordering 2 cupcakes and 4 waters for a party
of 4 and treating the restaurant like an attraction. Sooner or later, something had to break. The restaurant is simply too popular to be allowed to underperform.

Add this to the ever growing list of why we can't have nice things anymore.

Last edited:

DisAl

"Significant" is a relative term. What would be a great check for one restaurant might not even cover costs in another. It certainly does not help matters when a large number of dessert only tables drops your per guest spending average below a point that the people that write the checks deem as adequate, which is what was happening at BoG.

While you might have dropped $35 on your child, there were way too many guests that were ordering 2 cupcakes and 4 waters for a party 4
of 4 and treating the restaurant like an attraction. Sooner or later, something had to break. The restaurant is simply too popular to be allowed to underperform.

Master Yoda is right on target. I understand completely why they did what they did.
Where I think they blew it was making the dinner a two credit meal on the dining plan. A single credit, well worth it. Two credits, you can get so much more at many signature restaurants for those same two credits.
My wife and I are going next spring for our 45th anniversary and are doing the deluxe dining plan. While BOG has been one of our meals for every trip since it opened we won't be going there this trip.

Phonedave

While you might have dropped $35 on your child, there were way too many guests that were ordering 2 cupcakes and 4 waters for a party

Not to mention lingering. In a "normal" situation a table ordering cupcakes and water may indeed be in and out in half the time (or less) than a party eating a full meal. But in BoG, people linger to see the decor and take in the atmosphere.

We always ate a full meal there, but some people in our party of 5 ate apps, others did not. some had soup, some had desserts but everybody did have an entree. The prix fixe only sort of killed that for us. Combined with the lower food quality over time, and I think BoG is off of our list.

-dave

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Not to mention lingering. In a "normal" situation a table ordering cupcakes and water may indeed be in and out in half the time (or less) than a party eating a full meal. But in BoG, people linger to see the decor and take in the atmosphere.

We always ate a full meal there, but some people in our party of 5 ate apps, others did not. some had soup, some had desserts but everybody did have an entree. The prix fixe only sort of killed that for us. Combined with the lower food quality over time, and I think BoG is off of our list.

-dave
Quite correct.

The last time we had dinner there there was a decent size party doing the "cupcake and water" trick. They were seated just after us and were still there when we left. I doubt their bill was over $75.

It has been off our list for a while. We did dinner there the first month it was open and the food was great. It seemed to drop a in quality couple notches on each subsequent trip. There was zero reason to go back once The Skipper's Canteen opened in 2015. Better food, better prices and you can get and ADR there without the use of pentagrams, candles and a live chicken.

docdebbi

Quite correct.

It has been off our list for a while. We did dinner there the first month it was open and the food was great. It seemed to drop a in quality couple notches on each subsequent trip. There was zero reason to go back once The Skipper's Canteen opened in 2015. Better food, better prices and you can get and ADR there without the use of pentagrams, candles and a live chicken.

quality going down? nah, never.....

my classic example:

scallops 2013

DSCN8272.JPG

scallops 2017

Be-Our-Guest-Dinner-Sauteed-Shrimp-and-Scallops-16_-018-700x467.jpg

docdebbi

Just out of curiosity, what was the major difference.... The top looks worse to me...

the original scallops and shrimp had lots of scallops, and lots of shrimp with nice julienne vegetables in a light sauce , held in the lightest tastiest pastry puff I've had. The lower is quick, easy and cheap noodles in a heavy sauce with a few leaves of spinach and far less actual seafood. It obviously took lots more time and money to prepare the first one. We misss it

sxeensweet

Love a little Disney every day!! ;)
the original scallops and shrimp had lots of scallops, and lots of shrimp with nice julienne vegetables in a light sauce , held in the lightest tastiest pastry puff I've had. The lower is quick, easy and cheap noodles in a heavy sauce with a few leaves of spinach and far less actual seafood. It obviously took lots more time and money to prepare the first one. We misss it
I had both over the years and actually liked the pasta version better. Both were delicious don’t get me wrong, but pasta had an edge for me. Can’t wait to try the new menu also. Didn’t have many scallops in bread version either when I’ve had it...both dishes were mostly shrimp and a Good amount of it. ;)

Hockey89

I had both over the years and actually liked the pasta version better. Both were delicious don’t get me wrong, but pasta had an edge for me. Can’t wait to try the new menu also. Didn’t have many scallops in bread version either when I’ve had it...both dishes were mostly shrimp and a Good amount of it. ;)
It looks a lot better to me as well... The first picture didn't look that appetizing.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom