News New Caribbean Beach Resort table service restaurant announced - Sebastian's Bistro

Jambo Joe

Sebastian absolutely fits.

But why do they *need* to use him? That's all I'm pointing out and trying to ask. It's not "anti-character", for me at least. I love characters. I just don't need Woody's Big Thunder Mountain Railroad.

The problem I have isn't with using a character at a restaraunt (it's not that simple and I sound crazy arguing against this when I'm just trying to argue against the real problem: Disney management). The crux of my problem is Disney believing they "need" to do this.

But I feel we've all probably wasted a lot of time on this silliness :joyfull:

I just wanted some perspective from those who defend their decisions to explain why it makes it better. You've made the point it's a fitting change, in theme, and I can't disagree, I don't disagree.

Serious, and hopefully last question: Does it being called Sebastian's make you want to go there more than it being called Shutters? I have to think that's part of the reason for the change: people recognize Sebastian. They're more likely to go there than they would have gone to Shutters. The change is likely for more than just slapping on a character. They likely believe it will increase foot traffic there. I can't fault them for that, but they used to trust in themselves that they could deliver a fantastic experience, characters or not, that people would want to come to. Now they think they "need" characters everywhere. I wish this made more sense to you and others :(
I get your point. I think the difference for me is that Disney has not routinely named restaurants after characters. There are a few - including the long time and puzzling Pinocchio Village Haus. If this becomes the harbinger of doing this a lot more - i would definitely agree with you. At this point - it’s just a pleasant nod to a great movie that ties in with the resort theme.

Aries1975

I get your point. I think the difference for me is that Disney has not routinely named restaurants after characters. There are a few - including the long time and puzzling Pinocchio Village Haus. If this becomes the harbinger of doing this a lot more - i would definitely agree with you. At this point - it’s just a pleasant nod to a great movie that ties in with the resort theme.

Ages ago, probably 20 years ago, when we stayed at the Yacht Club for our honeymoon, I was told that one of the reasons for Ariel's being "special events only" was that guests were upset to learn there we no princesses at a restaurant named after a princess. At the time, there were far fewer character meals, but even as an adult without children, I could see how that could be confusing.

There was a time when people were disappointed to see only the mice during their meal after their photo with Cinderella. Not me, of course, I have a soft spot for Jacques and Gus.

So, how long before Sebastian's becomes a character meal at least in the mornings?

Also, please include me with those who think it would be odd to eat seafood in a place named Sebastian's. "The fish in the bowl are lucky..."

NiarrNDisney

I get your point. I think the difference for me is that Disney has not routinely named restaurants after characters. There are a few - including the long time and puzzling Pinocchio Village Haus..

Just a few state side:
Ariel's (now closed though used for special events)
Aristocrepes
B.B. Wolf's Sausage Co.
Bing Bong's Sweet Stuff (DLR)
Bonfamille's (now closed though used for special events)
Chef Mickey's
Cinderella Royal Table
Clarabelle's (DLR)
Clarabelle's Hand-Scooped Ice Cream (DLR)
Daisy's Diner (DLR)
Gaston's Tavern
Goofy's Candy Co.
Goofy's Kitchen (DLR)
Jack Jack's Cookie Num Num's (DLR)
Jock Lindsey's Hangar Bar
Maurice's Amazing Popping Machine
Maurice's Treats (DLR)
Pecos Bill's Tall Tale Inn and Cafe
Pinnocchio Village Haus
PizzeRizzo
Pluto's Dog House (DLR)
Prince Eric's Village Market
Scat Cat's
~ edit ~ Tony's Town Square
Trader Sam's Enchanted Tiki Bar (DLR)
Trader Sam's Grog Grotto
Woody's Lunch Box

peter11435

Just a few state side:
Aristocrepes
B.B. Wolf's Sausage Co.
Chef Mickey's
Cinderella Royal Table
Clarabelle's (DLR)
Daisy's Diner (DLR)
Gaston's Tavern
Goofy's Candy Co.
Goofy's Kitchen (DLR)
Maurice's Treats (DLR)
Pinnocchio Village Haus
PizzeRizzo
Pluto's Dog House (DLR)
Scat Cat's
Trader Sam's Grog Grotto
Woody's Lunch Box
You forgot Tony’s

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Ages ago, probably 20 years ago, when we stayed at the Yacht Club for our honeymoon, I was told that one of the reasons for Ariel's being "special events only" was that guests were upset to learn there we no princesses at a restaurant named after a princess. At the time, there were far fewer character meals, but even as an adult without children, I could see how that could be confusing.

There was a time when people were disappointed to see only the mice during their meal after their photo with Cinderella. Not me, of course, I have a soft spot for Jacques and Gus.

So, how long before Sebastian's becomes a character meal at least in the mornings?

Also, please include me with those who think it would be odd to eat seafood in a place named Sebastian's. "The fish in the bowl are lucky..."

So, hey. Where's Sebastian?!

Check your appetizer, sir.

Bartattack

The new bar next to Sebastians Bistro. They are installing ‘steel drum’ lights and the bar. On the side facing the pool there is a station for refillable mugs.
C9D9B192-6C1A-451D-A9B8-413A91963493.jpeg
51DBF134-A2CB-461F-BDB3-A09A51C0F711.jpeg
37B912AD-ED5A-4A3B-A0D6-55BDC43834DE.jpeg

Last edited:

surfsupdon

I think this looks great. Looking forward.

Hoping the buildings get painted to pop again! And hope they eliminate/ condense some bus stops and rename some of the Islands.

Jambo Joe

Just a few state side:
Aristocrepes
B.B. Wolf's Sausage Co.
Chef Mickey's
Cinderella Royal Table
Clarabelle's (DLR)
Daisy's Diner (DLR)
Gaston's Tavern
Goofy's Candy Co.
Goofy's Kitchen (DLR)
Maurice's Treats (DLR)
Pinnocchio Village Haus
PizzeRizzo
Pluto's Dog House (DLR)
Scat Cat's
~ edit ~ Tony's Town Square
Trader Sam's Grog Grotto
Woody's Lunch Box
Good list. In my defense I was referring to the resorts, not the parks where I would expect plenty of IP to be used. You did give me a head slap moment though - it didn’t even occur to me that BB Wolf’s was a character reference🤔

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom