News Refurbishment coming to Tatooine Traders at Disney's Hollywood Studios

Biff215

I don't understand. Since Disney and Iger are so construction crazy and since they have already taken apart Hollywood Studios to close to bare bones...why didn't they either put Star Tours into the Star Wars Land and move Tatooine Traders into Star Wars Land as a new story then repurpose Star Tours and TT into something else that works better with the theme for that part of town?

Some of the moves they are making don't make a whole lot of sense.

Hollywood Studios really is no longer a studio. It's more Disney's Hollywood or (Disneywood).
I think the two best options would have been:

1) Move Indiana Jones stunt spectacular to Animal Kingdom in place of DinoLand.
2) Turn DinoLand into an Indiana Jones themed world
3) Change Dinosaur into the Indiana Jones ride they have in Disneyland which has the exact same track layout.
4) Replace Indiana Jones Stunt Spectacular in DHS with the Guardians of the Galaxy coaster instead of putting it in Epcot where it really feels out of place and change Tatooine Traders into a GOTG/Marvel store. They can also put their Star Lord/Groot Meet and Greet at the new coaster in DHS.

OR

1) Redesign Star Tours into the Indiana Jones ride.
2) Turn Tatooine Traders into a Cairo traders shop with Indiana Jones themed adventure things.
3) Then rebuild Star Tours in the Star Wars Land if they really want to keep it and make it organic to the new land.

If you're going to change everything...change it all.
It's highly likely that in time, ST and TT will be converted over to something else. They probably can't afford to lose the capacity during the first year or so of SWGE being open. Eventually everything will fall into place there.

Skywise

Odd that they're closing the droid factory. I wonder if this means they're going to stop making the halloween/holiday r2d2 figures. (Which are technically listed as "droid factory" products)

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Originally, Star Tours was going to be part of Galaxy's Edge. The location of the land was moved after insiders on this site leaked the exact plans for how the land would be laid out. Instead of being built over Lights Motors Action, it was going to be built over Indy.

I don't believe Galaxy's Edge was every going to be built near Star Tours. The original plan was for a much less ambitious Star Wars land in that area which wouldn't have been anything like GE.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Just seems like Tatooine Traders is going to be a very sad place once SW:GE opens. Unless it just converts over to all the SW merchandise you can't buy in the land itself, I feel it becoming past over and redundant.

If they are going to true immersion in the land, then there will definitely be merchandise that doesn't make sense to be sold in the land.

peter11435

I'm pretty sure it was AFTER the announcement of the land being built that people on the forums began speculating where they would build it, and it was someone in the know here that used the concept art to explain where everything was planned to go.
The land depicted in the concept art was never intended to be built on the echo lake/Indy site. That version of Star Wars was an entirely different project.

Kman101

I don't get the need to have Star Tours inside of the land. It still works as it is outside of the land and it literally takes you to the land in the attraction! It would feel more out of place to me inside Galaxy's Edge. I'm fine with it existing separately. Why should they move it? They'd never move that kind of attraction. They could have "attached" it better by not having Galaxy's Edge where they put it. But they clearly don't want or see the need to.

I mean, we're getting a simulator in the land. Why do we need two for the same property? I love Star Tours, don't get me wrong. And I think it could easily still exist whether in the land or not, but they likely don't see a need for two Star Wars simulators.

Traders will likely be the homebase for Star Wars stuff. But don't they also still have a dedicated shop on Sunset for it too? I wouldn't worry about where to buy SW merch ;)

Spash007

My first thought was this meant that they were going to be keeping Tatooine Traders for a long time if they are refurbing it, but seeing it's only a month refurb, I think that's reading too far into it. They're probably just upgrading some of the inside to provide an outlet for all of the fans who cannot get into Galaxy's Edge when it hits capacity.

While Star Tours story would make sense right outside Galaxy's Edge, especially if it were to exit into the land, Tatooine Traders could also be made to fit as being a store on a different outpost. However, then we're looking at a mini Star Wars land in the park where there is the actual land? And that is also a big story line for another area of the park that really has no other stories or immersive elements to it. I see them keeping it all while the initial demand for Galaxy's Edge causes it to hit capacity, but then to be re-done. Otherwise it's just an identity nightmare.

Jambo Joe

I think the location of TT will actually be an ideal spot to have a large merch area for the SW stuff that you won’t be able to buy in the land because it would break theme. People are going to be leaving the land all amped up on SW and will be in a mood to buy the stuff. If anything - the store needs to be bigger. Theme it as the return port.

As for ST - I had no inside info - I would re-use the equipment with a different theme. I suppose it might be possible to re-use it by moving it between the SW hotel and GE and making it the transport ‘ride’ to get between the hotel and GE. Likely impractical - costly and a bottle neck.

Last edited:

RSoxNo1

I think any move on earth would make more sense than this... :rolleyes:

A Star Wars store would be really useful in another area of the park for the folks who can't get back in for a last minute merch run...so I kind of wish they'd just redo the whole area as tastefully as they did Grand Avenue... The L.A. theme is asking to be so much more, in my opinion.
I would guess that a lot of the Toy Story Land merchandise will be replaced with Star Wars merchandise in the next year+.

Mickey5150

If they are going to true immersion in the land, then there will definitely be merchandise that doesn't make sense to be sold in the land.
They have stated that there won't be anything in the land that breaks the immersion, specifically no corporate logos, which would make it impossible to sell any Star Wars souvenirs. Disney will keep Tatooine Traders around as long as they can sell Star Wars merch.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom