2020-Gaming discussion

Voxel

President of Progress City
A smart person would wait for benchmarks right? Unfortunately when the miners owned the high performance card prices locked at unreasonable levels for most of the last two years my personal decision was easy. I would rather have the card at its suggested retail than pay over 2k in a few months. Am I jumping the gun? Will card manufacturers keep the miners at bay? I don't know, but I know I got an Asus for its suggested retail and I'm happy with it.

As for performance, once I heard the RTX 2070 will outperform the current Titan I was all in. The current GTX 1070 by itself is absolutely no slouch for gaming right now, in fact I still think its a top ten card based on performance, but pales to the Titan. The new RTX cards are your 4k friendly cards and beyond. I'm expecting 100 fps in 4K from these.

Exactly, its just like that.

I was sitting at home waiting for the flood waters outside to go down and my phone dinged with a Newegg ad and I didn't hesitate. Again, hopefully the gamers are getting them and not the miners.

Personally I would rather have a Founders, Nvidia always takes the best binned chips for the Founder Editions, plus I've always gotten them in the past and have never had any issues with them.
My problem with the 2070 being more powerful than the Titan xP is that they later admitted that was in computational task not gaming... those are my concerns. I would love 100 FPS in 4k, but idk. Don’t get me wrong im probably going to pick a 2080 or a Ti up cause I know it run circles around my 1070 in Machine learn which is an area of my work skills. Call me a pessimist, but I’m expecting a 20% increase in pure frame rate though. The new gpu and a 2950x or 2979wx are on my shopping list for this fall.

I just wish nvidia spent more time talking about raw game performance. Does ray face reduce frame rate? It does it have no effect. Do the tensor/rtx cores play any role in game FPS when a game doesn’t utilize the new graphics rendering mode or the Ray tracing. These are the questions I wanna know! Lol.

I will say this is the first batch of Founder Card that are worthy of the binning nvidia does. The blower coolers do not produce enough cooling to coverclock these beast like some Aftermarket coolers. I’ll probably lean towards and EVGA FTW when it comes out though.

Voxel

Looks like we have some answers.. Shadow of the Tomb Raider RTX build being demoed at gamescon is struggling to hit 60fps at 1080p with Ray Tracing Enabled on a 2080ti.. Still early, and the developer say that there are more improvements and changes coming to Tomb Raider. It is also possible that the drivers for the 2080 series are not perfect yet. But this does give me a better idea of how demanding RTX can be.

Voxel

Looks like we have some answers.. Shadow of the Tomb Raider RTX build being demoed at gamescon is struggling to hit 60fps at 1080p with Ray Tracing Enabled on a 2080ti.. Still early, and the developer say that there are more improvements and changes coming to Tomb Raider. It is also possible that the drivers for the 2080 series are not perfect yet. But this does give me a better idea of how demanding RTX can be.
This is why I hate Hype season. Multiple Sources say the Tomb Raider Demo was 1080p, however a new source says that it was running at 4k.. Soo Ready for reviews to come in. Haha.

trainplane3

This is why I hate Hype season. Multiple Sources say the Tomb Raider Demo was 1080p, however a new source says that it was running at 4k.. Soo Ready for reviews to come in. Haha.
Don't the Tomb Raider games kind of have a rep for coming out and the current hardware not being able to handle it at max settings? Sort of like modern day Crysis.

I'm waiting for benchmarks but I plan on getting a 2080ti as well. I'm counting the days till I can kick this SLI setup out the window. NVLink looks interesting but I'm never touching multiple video cards again.

Voxel

Don't the Tomb Raider games kind of have a rep for coming out and the current hardware not being able to handle it at max settings? Sort of like modern day Crysis.

I'm waiting for benchmarks but I plan on getting a 2080ti as well. I'm counting the days till I can kick this SLI setup out the window. NVLink looks interesting but I'm never touching multiple video cards again.
Yep! They are some of the hardest games to run.

I want SLI to just work but it’s soo fickle and barely works half the time let alone provides a benefit to the game. I think NVlink might help but really it comes down to the developers to implement it and the market is to niche to do that. :/.

trainplane3

Yep! They are some of the hardest games to run.

I want SLI to just work but it’s soo fickle and barely works half the time let alone provides a benefit to the game. I think NVlink might help but really it comes down to the developers to implement it and the market is to niche to do that. :/.
Exactly. If it were built into Windows/Linux/DirectX/OpenGL/Vulkan/whatever OS/API, it'd be great. But since it relies on developers, it's terrible. There's times when it's best to just turn it off.

Any kind of tech that requires the devs to add it into their game isn't going to do well.

ShoalFox

In the Parks
Yes
I read that Sony is ending the production of physical Vita games on March 31, 2019. Anything released on the system after that will have to be digital only, which is a pain considering the prices of those PROPRIETARY memory cards.

Voxel

I read that Sony is ending the production of physical Vita games on March 31, 2019. Anything released on the system after that will have to be digital only, which is a pain considering the prices of those PROPRIETARY memory cards.
I'm surprised the After Market for these hasn't grown. Its extremely easy to get a 3DS game cartridge for modding purposes.

erasure fan1

For now...

The day of the universal streaming system is coming soon, its just a matter of how long. The tech and delivery systems are already in place.
I doubt we see a universal streaming system anytime soon. You will probably see the next xbox have a streaming and standard system. But all streaming is still a ways off I believe.
I think they have just not “officially.” I can’t tell you the last time I saw them in stock anywhere. Same goes for the games.
Sony announced a couple E3s ago that they(as first party) would no longer make games for the vita. So it's been kinda limping along as a indie game system. So in my eyes they killed it then.

Jimmy Thick

Original Poster
I think they have just not “officially.” I can’t tell you the last time I saw them in stock anywhere. Same goes for the games.

I still have one in a box unopened.

You can still buy them from Amazon new but I think that’s the only place here in the USA.

Dead2009

Horror Movie Guru

So this came across my Twitter feed the other night and it looks kinda interesting. It can play apparently anything. According to that video, this is what it can play:

"Play PlayStation, Saturn, Neo Geo CD, TurboGrafx-CD, Sega CD right on the Base Unit. Expand your compatibility with Element Module Sets for cartridge based systems like NES, SNES, TurboGrafx-16 / PC-Engine, and Genesis / Mega Drive."

http://www.polymega.com/ website is down due to probably preordering so much.

Mike S

I didn’t think much of the Civilization 6 Nintendo Switch announcement except that it was obviously meant to be shown during yesterday’s Direct before it was delayed. After looking into things further, I realized this game is actually a third party console exclusive (so far). There are no versions for PS4 or Xbox ONE I can find. What could this mean? It’s very strange at least to me.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom